Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

With Virgin for BB with landline. Does anyone know, cancel and change to my wife's name do we keep the same landline number?

I'm tempted by 1GB for €45 & world talk €3 , total €48. I'm currently pay €68 for 360Mb & world talk €3, total €71. Saving €23 per month with triple the speed sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

Rang up a few weeks ago and managed to get 9 months half price, was feeling pretty smug about that.

Then got an email two days ago to say my broadband is going up €4 from May 1st 🙄

Anyone else get that email or did they target me because I got a recent deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

I only have TV with them, but also got an email about a €4 increase. I don't think they even offer just TV anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No reason why they shouldn't

Ring them up a month beforehand and ask for it. If they refuse just cancel. I'd be very surprised if they don't call you back a couple of weeks later asking what they can do to make you stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Darby_321

Rang there as i was on €35 for 9 months and then €70 for the next 3 months for 500mb. So the 9 months are now up and being charged €70 but nothing they can do for me until contract is up. Cancellation fee is €150 and need to give months notice so not worth cancelling and signing up again now so lets hope the €35 for 12 months offer is still there when the contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

I was on 64 PM for 250MB, going up to 68 with the recently announced rise

Best they would give me was €35 for 9 months and then €70 for the next 3 months for 500MB

Got in a bit of a row with the cancellations person as she insisted that Fibre was not available from my Eircode and that the best Eir or Sky would give me was 5G BB. The Siro box outside the door of my CC apartment tells me otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They're awful clowns, always attempting to bad mouth the competition to frighten people into staying. I left 3 years ago and am just after renewing with VF 500mb for €30 a month for 12 months. Anyone paying more than 35 a month with Siro available deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

Does anyone know if they have sent price increase emails to people on the broadband and tv bundle packages? Or are they sending them to people on broadband only contracts?

I haven't received one yet, and I'm actually hoping to as I'm cancelling my contract soon and can avoid the 200 quid cancellation fee if I get the price rise email!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I haven't received anything yet, my contract ends next month. I think they keep the increase below a certain percentage which doesn't break the terms of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I'm a broadband only and I got the email about the increase, which gives me an out I'm paying €71 (€75 with the increase) a month for broadband only and they have me over a barrel because they are the only ones that offer fiber in my area

Does a €4 increase break the terms of the contract? I got an email from them informing me my contract expires on the 16th of May.

Has anyone moved to Pure? Reviews are hit and miss, I can get ftth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

as far as I’m aware yes…. An increase in your contract mid contract breaks the terms

Couldn't get Virgin to play ball. Just signed up to Vodafone Office Essentials Gigabit 1GB with phone. €48 per month for 12 months

Have virgin up & and running since Wednesday. Everything working perfectly & I'm very happy with the service so far.

Got a text from Virgin today offering half price for 12 months. Too late to keep me as a customer. Half price though? They must be losing a lot of customers to Vodafone if they dropped to half price. If they offered it sooner then I might have stayed

I assume you mean you have VF up and running 😉. Was it much hassle? I'm entering my final 30 days on Wednesday I'll give them a ring to cancel and see what happens.

Yes I'm getting providers mixed up.

Been with Virgin for 14 or 15 years according to the wife. First time I ever looked for a discount from them.

Vodafone was painless. Engineer came without needing an appointment to bring cable to my house. Two days later different engineer brought the cable into the house. They made an appointment for this. In & out in 40 minutes. Phone number transferred over two days later.

I now have Vodafone and virgin cables to my home. I am now in a far better position to bargain with them or change provider each year trouble free. I should have done it years ago.

I tried getting ftth last year but was unfortunate in getting a lazy Muppet who wasn't interested in doing the install, he had finished his previous job early and was sent to do my house. He found every excuse in the book and left saying I'd need a different crew who wouldn't arrive until after VM was switched off. I cancelled the whole shebang and went to VM as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭FaganJr

can you e-mail them on cancel@virginmedia.ie or do you have to ring them?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭EarWig

It works got a confirmation mail, so we'll see if they contact me?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Received the broadband increase email as a TV &Broadband customer. Have been overpaying for too long (new customers on 50% better deal) and this was the final straw. They provided a link to an online cancellation form which I filled out last week and submitted. Havent received any confirmation of the cancellation, but will call them closer to the end of the 30 day period to confirm their boxes will be going in the bin if not collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

7 months into a 12 month contract and received an email this week to say my 'minimum term' is ending in a few weeks and I will go from €70 per month for TV & Broadband incl sky sports to €104 per month excl sky sports!

That's a new one, haven't seen this approach before.

Time to get out…again

I gave my 30 days notice today, the retention offers were terrible, she started wrecking my brain giving me the total year price without vat etc etc. In the end I told her to just put in the cancellation, I think I'll go with Sky 500 for €30, finally getting fibre into the house will open up my options year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Has anyone moved home recently with Virgin and been told to get a new contract as connection/cables are different in new address? And also extra €30 activation fee too?

bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This happened to me recently. I think the main difference was that the new address had fibre. So they said they had to close my current account and open a new one for me. They said it was just something the needed to do due to limitations of their current system.

They did give me the option of staying on that account, but that I wouldn’t receive the full available speed.

They charged me a €50 fee but an engineer did need to come out to activate the line.

Flip side to that, I was a couple of months in on a 9 month half price contract (€35pm) and the new signup email seemed to give me a new customer offer, so €35 for 12 months. So I couldn’t complain.

Those of you with experience?

Current VM customer, cancellation put in & confirmed.

If I reorder as a new customer in wifes name, will that be a simple self install and return original equipment?

That or get a different provider to put in another fiber line, so have 2 options going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Last two times I did it I cancelled, after 30 days the service stopped and I got my final bill, the next day I signed up as a new customer in my own name/same details (email address, mobile number, DD IBAN) and it all worked fine. The VM rep that I spoke to in advance of doing this had clarified that this was fine. Unless things have changed I don't think that you need to sign up as a new customer with a different name or other details. In case it matters I was/am broadband only so no TV or landline. I'm coming up to the end of the current 12 month contract so will be doing this again unless fibre services are finally available by then. Meant to also say that I only ever had a couple of days downtime max during which I used a spare 4G router that I have. For some people any broadband downtime may not suit I guess.

• Advertisement

No need to be without BB, about 5 days before the service ends sign up as a new customer and plug in the new modem when it arrives. You need to get 1gig BB to avoid that stupid activation charge, they really shouldn't be charging that on any plan when it's plug and play.

Advertisement