Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Our broadband only pack is up in a month and we called yesterday and got the 1gb speed renewed for €40 for 8 months and 4 at 80.

12 month contract

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Works out at 53.33 a month, a new customer is 45 a month or 50 a month for 2 years, they didn't kill themselves. Are there other providers available to you? I really don't see the advantage of 1gig over 500, maybe for the odd game download but that's about it really.

Only other where I live is 5g via 3, unfortunately and with a large family that utilise every aspect of the broadband - I couldn’t take the chance.

They know what’s available to your home when you ask them for a reduction so me without Eir etc ended in a good result.

Apparently full fibre is installed but not active yet so I’ll wait until the year is out to see what’s what by then.

I'd cancel if you're within the 14 days cooling off and go for the 500 meg in the wife's name, 35 for 12 months, sorted👍 I really don't see the value in the 1gig speed. I'm finished in April and if I can get 250 for 30 that's what I'm going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

"Our broadband only pack is up in a month and we called yesterday and got the 1gb speed renewed for €40 for 8 months and 4 at 80.

12 month contract"

they get you on the discounted deal but then a high price post-contract

• Advertisement

Paid 80 all last year, so we’re saving a few quid next year. Happy out

You could save a lot more and be even happier, 80 euro a month for BB this day and age is madness. Sell sell sell... There's far better deals to be had from VM.

Ok but you obviously haven’t read my post?

We don’t have any other BB providers that have over 5mb - other than 5g.

I have read your post. Cancel the deal they've offered you and sign up as a new customer in your partner's name. Just tell them you're getting BB from someone else, it's none of their business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 klopp74

Rang in December as my offer was up the end of this month. Was told to ring back in January as too early - annoyed was busy and on hold for ages. Rang earlier - 20 minutes waiting. Customer for a long time and last offer was up late last year so currently on €99 per month for 500mb, Loaded TV and home phone for last 3 months of contract. An an aside was watching TV over Christmas and have to say the picture quality even in HD on the 360 box is very very poor. Anyway the email offer was €107 per month and they offered me €84 per month so went ahead and cancelled. Thankfully have more options now as Eir rang new cable during the year and can get 500mb minimum versus a whole 8mb last year! The broadband service is very good but the TV leaves a lot to be desired...always have the option now of ordering same service in my partner's name for €50 per month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

Yeah having the exact same thing as a few above so sort of glad to see it isn’t just me… no real budging on a discount, €84 is what was offered and she said on the phone €10 for the sports package on top (though didn’t include or mention it in the email……)

so going to go ahead and cancel. Way better value elsewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Earth24

waiting now 50 minutes to get through to the loyalty team, its now 610pm and lines are supposed to be closed at 6pm. Could I in theory be on hold until after 9am tomorrow!?

Edit - got through, after an hour, to tech support at 620pm who said Loyalty team not available! Call back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Rang today for the annual price request. Got through in 10 mins, nice lady. Got half price for 9 months on broadband and tv. From 97 to 47 for 9 months, a little extra discount for dropping landline. Told me I can ring in 10 months and look for another deal. Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Just be careful if cancelling in order to sign up in another name - you will get the streaming TV box and the not the 360 tv box that you can record onto its hardrive. There's no going back even if you cancel within the the two weeks. Have to say I regret it now

Never had modern TV with them. The old analogue cable was enough for me...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Worst offer yet for 1gb BB on renewal, said best could do was €65 for 12 months, I hate the messing but they wouldn't budge in cancellation team. So will just order new account under Mrpc's details at €45 a month for 12 then cancel mine. Don't have any other decent one for amount of usage ours gets and cant risk delays and having no BB. Pain in the hoop, really is a waste of time, energy and boxes that they are so sh!te for existing customers.

ETA they also said they never heard of boards.ie when I said I can see people getting way better details than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Rang up today. Got offered €65 for 12 months 500GB. Said I'd cancel. Put through to loyalty team. Then offered €55 for 12 months 500GB. That was their best offer. So I cancelled. I suspect I'll get a call during the next few weeks to try to entice me back.

I was close to accepting, but a €15 discount even though I've been with them many years is really rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I accepted the 15 euro off last month after trying to get through to them for god knows how long.

Just got the bill. It's higher then it should be. On inspection, they are now charging me for the broadband for the period ahead. As in for Feb when it was always issued on the 21st for that month. This is some bull **** without telling anyone.

They also didn't apply the 15 euro discount. They applied 2 7.50 discounts so it's split over 2 periods!

They also didn't remove the phone service as I requested. Useless shower..

Now I have to ring the again......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Do I haggle and look for a deal when I ring up to give 30 days notice? Or do you wait for them to send an offer after giving notice?

First time managing this sort of thing. Broadband and TV contract ending early March. Notification letter says it will increase from €84 to €129. I don't expect it to stay as is, but I'll cancel if there's no better offer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Haggle on the phone. Say you'll cancel and you'll get put through to the loyalty team. I'm not sure they do phone you after giving notice. I got 4 offers before they let me cancel

• Advertisement

Just off the phone after 30 mins on hold. I gave my 30 days notice. Their offers were disappointing.

They made no offers to keep my current package of 1GB + Loaded TV, which is currently €69.

They offered:

500mb broadband only for €55, or

500mb + TV Lite (which I never heard of and can see nothing about on their website) with the 20 basic free Irish/UK channels for €67.50.

I highlighted that I was particularly sickened by the fact they now offer 24mth contracts for my current package for €65, and that it was very poor not to offer some sort of deal for one more year to existing customers after 12mths. But he was having none of it.

So I'll be switching to Sky.

In 27 days time sign up as a new customer 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Cancel notice gone in.

If they dont call me with minimum 6 months duscount ill sign up in another name

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AhhHere

Can you send your cancellation notice before 30 days? For example give them 45 days or do you need to be exactly 30 days to send it?

You can send in early alright. Doesnt have to be bang on 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AhhHere

Nice one. Thanks

So, two weeks since I gave my notice, and two weeks until contract ends, they sent a text this morning offering "half price for 12 months". Clicking the link gives little more information except a cooling off period and fill in details to accept. It doesn't actually state the price or services anywhere.

So will this be half price on my existing package from the published full price of €114? That would be less than I'm paying now and less than new customers are offered, so that is highly unlikely surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Good afternoon all

Contract is up at the end of next month so have to do the annual phone call to VM soon. Currently on a 1 year contract with 250mb broadband @ €63 per month, half price for the first 9 months.

Am I likely to get the same again or are they being a bit stingy at the moment?

• Advertisement

Ask

If they say no. Start the cancellation process

Advertisement