Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Currently paying €96 per month for 250Mb BB/TV/Phone.

Called VM. Initially offered €15 off for 12 months which I rejected. Then VM supposedly checked another system which offered me a loyalty offer of half price for 6 months. Told VM it wasn't enough so proceeded to cancel.

Four days later I received a text message. "At VM we are sad to see you are leaving and we do not want you to go. Would a half price offer make you stay? If so, give us a call on 1800-940199." Happy days I thought! I called and was offered six months half price again. No room for improvement so I said good bye for a second time.

Four days later (on a Saturday morning!) I received a call from a nice lady who was authorised to make me an improved offer of €49 per month for 12 months with an upgrade to 500Mb BB. Decided to take it, but I really am fed up with this annual runaround.

Tip: Check your VM profile to ensure your marketing preferences (SMS/Email/Phone/Post) are all set to "On" so VM can contact you after you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

What is considered a good price for the who package with both Sports and Movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Called up last week. Was 30 mins waiting around on hold.

Previously had been on 60 per month - 250MB BB only. Had also had 9 months half price offer.

Very quick call and was eventually offered upgrade to 500MB for €70, first 9 months at half price (€35). Had the usual back and forth with offers but was very brief and nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's a bad price for 500meg their black Friday deal has 500 for €35. When I'm out of contract next year I'm paying no more than 35 to any provider and I'm going no higher than 500meg, anything over that speed isn't needed for a domestic setting.

My apologies I thought it was BB only, good price for TV included.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Melloh

Just has eir 500mb on new fibre lines installed - im within my 14 day cooling off currently. speeds good so far. 24 month contract for 40 quid broadband only.

have phoned VM to cancel (73 pm for 370mb) -offered 55 pm 12 month contract for 500mb. She also said that the annual increase on eir can be up to 11% of undiscounted rate (CPI + 3%)(looked at their website was 8% in 2023).

VM have CPI + 3.9% so is this not amounting to something similar?

Are Eir new fibre speeds likely to get worse? congestion etc?

she also said Eirs T&Cs agree to automatic price increases if co wants to - not so with VM apparently.

Anyway in 2 minds now - any advice?

• Advertisement

I don't like 2 year contracts myself and she is correct in saying the price will increase each year with Eir. Personally I'd cancel Eir and go with VM as a new customer, 35 a month for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Finochet

I have a 360 box and a sky sports package all of which have gone completely off the rails in cost. My 12m contract is up ( contract summary date 13th September) . I will try to negotiate a reasonable deal first but if I have to move all to the other half's name ( I know we might lose landline ) I will.

Are they still entitled to 30 days notice on an expired contract?

Am I naive in thinking it's in their interest to leave the same box here and simply switch name on account or do I not let on its the same house and do a "Lanigans ball " on it - letting her step in when I step out? Presumably I would have to send box back while they send out a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

I got the call 2 days before my cancellation kicked in.

The first offer was €35 per month for 12 months (500MB broadband) which I accepted so call was over in 5 minutes.

The previous day I rang Sky to see if they could switchover from Virgin but use the same lines. That way I could switch every year back and forth without this haggling hassle. Apparently it would only be possible if I was on the newer Virgin cabling so only phone line connection was offered. The customer service was surprisingly good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

Been paying over 100 pm for a long time with VM. Called today and was offered 49.50 pm for 9 months which I rejected and asked for 12 months, but no budge on that.

Was told now that the cancellation is in process, I won't be able to get that offer again.

Hoping that whatever internal process they follow up with happens now before the cancellation date next month (have turned on all the marketing preferences), although might be better to go for one of the seasonal deals they have, and just use a new name. Has anyone gone through that and confirm there's no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's sporadic. You might have issues and you might not.

Is Sky available in your area? MIght be worth looking at their websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

Cheers. Can't seem to sign up online at the address and says to give them a call - will try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

rang up to cancel, got 9months half price for 500MB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

35e @CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Hey, cancelled 24 days ago and haven't heard anything back from VM since. My wife and I have been switching annually.

We don't really want an XBOX S (black Friday VM deal), we just want to pay as less as possible.

We are cautious about moving to Sky as we are renting. Would they need to drill holes in the house to install or is that all gone these days? There is an old phone line. Any thoughts would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Once you submit the cancellation request, can you back out before the termination date ? (Thinking if replacemrnt service doesn't work out well, as can use cooling off period for that)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Been paying over €100 a month for 250MB and max TV.

Rang up. Fought my corner (I've been having issues on and off the last 12 months).

Got 1GB and multi room for half price for 12 months, so €65. Delighted with that

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SEORG

I had been on 500 MB for over a year paying €71/month.

I was waiting over an hour on the phone and the call dropped 30 seconds after starting to speak to the customer service agent.

Luckily, the polite young lady rang me back & offered me 1Gb for €40/month for 12 months, basically the new customer offer.

Happy with that.

Nice one, decent of her to ring you back, some doctor's surgeries could learn from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is there an email address to return old equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Just rang them and they said to recycle it ourselves 🙄

Relaying what VM told me..

On 360Mb broadband with them - if I were to sign up for 12 months (I'm out of contract) the only thing they can sell is the 500Mb or higher service which will require fibre installation. Indication was that there's no going back to 360 if not happy with the fibre if for example it requires digging! It's fibre or nothing once it has been ordered!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Two weeks to the cancellation date and not a whisper from VM - may have to sign up with someone else

That's strange, I started with 360 then moved to 500 and now I'm on 1gig all from the same coaxial cable that they installed to give me 360. If you enter your address on their site what does it say that's available? That's why I never ring CS as most of them haven't a notion.

Website for with code starts at 500Mb fibre- he said in the call they don’t sell the others any longer and it would have to be a fibre install.

You definitely got a dud there😏. Why in the name of god would they rip out a perfectly adequate coax cable that can deliver exactly the same speed as a string of fibre. I understand it starts at 500 but you don't need fibre for 500 or 1 gig either. Just order it through the website.

• Advertisement

Website states 500 fibre, the claim is that they no longer do coax, and there’s no going back, no longer doing “half” or “hybrid” fibre. Should you wish to examine illogical and irrational policies, you’re certainly in the appropriate thread.

As I see it, customers can take the risk and be stuck with a potentially botched VM install (check recent installation equipment photographs), or they can move elsewhere.

Advertisement