Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ve noticed recently when checking my address on the VM site it shows that they don’t currently offer broadband services, despite having broadband here for over 10 years.

It makes sense why, if they are moving away from coax to fibre-only installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'll give it a try and see what it says.

Edit, I tried it on the ole trusty Duck duck go browser and 500 and 1gig are available at my address.

Post edited by CoBo55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Went to cancel our service today, explaining that we didn't need a 360MB service for our needs and that we could take a €30 a month 100MB deal from another vendor which would be more than sufficient. Their rebuttal was a 250MB service for a 12 month contract at €30 a month. Goes up to €60 after the 12 months but I guess I ring back at that point to cancel again.

That's a good deal I'd be happy with that as would a lot of others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They wouldn't give me the a year half price so I just cancelled and will switch to Sky for €30@12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anyone know if I move the landline to a VOIP provider will there be an issue moving it back to VM? In the UK all landlines are going Voip so probably easy job for them but probably a lot of rigmarole here

Only got 9 days to cancellation so making plans now

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭brian2614

Gave VM my 30 days notice 28 days ago.They then sent me a txt offering me a half price deal.Rang them the day before cut off to say I will take the deal.Girl said no problem I will put that through.Comes back to me saying your account is already cut off and I need a tech to call to my house to reconnect me and that wont be till 1/2/24

She said I will give you the new customer deal for the inconvenience but still wont have a tech out till Feb.You couldnt make it up!!!

Their fault they cut me off(she admitted that)and have been nothing but unhelpful and rude.

I have been with them since I moved into the house(7yrs) and they have pissed me off rightly

Waiting on a call from a manager which i know will never come.. w*nkers

Cancelled and have Sky coming Monday to install fibre 500mb and sky Q on €55 per month deal.

3 family members are out of contract in Jan/Feb and all will be coming to Sky(becuase every year I ring up for them)

Shambles..

Why do you need a tech to do the install when you already have the hardware in place?

Exactly… they always did it from their end.The excuse I was given is that everyone will be moving to the 1GB speed from next year and the fact that I was cut off I couldn’t go back on the 500mb I could only start on the 1GB and a tech needed to sort it.

Figure that out for yourself as I am still in shock.Running around trying to get a temp WiFi solution till it’s sorted with Sky.

They didn’t give a s**t tbh

Why would they be forcing everyone to 1gb and paying a higher price for something the majority of people do not even need - seems mad. See them losing a lot of customers if they do

• Advertisement

That's dreadful, I'm on 1gig at the moment via coax having progressed from 360 to 500 and then 1 gig. I don't know what they're playing at tbh as somebody only a few posts back got 250 for €30. I hope sky can get you connected without too much messing, their reputation for setting up your initial connection isn't great. I tried earlier in the year to get ftth with Eir but your man was a numpty so I cancelled and renewed with VM opting for 1 gig.

Course they will.. Anyone joining in the new year will prob have to start on the 1GB deal that's the impression I got from her.

I work from home aswell and had to get a 3 modem in the mean time which is terrible.Even the EV charger is run off the wifi network to activate it.Was up till 1am trying to get to reconnect to terrible 3 modem to actually start charging the car which was at 1%

Throw a 3 yr old screaming about peppa pig not working on her tablet adds to it!!!

Never again and I am being caught like this.. ever

Can I ask you a question?

Will sky but their modem at the same point of where virgins connection was do you know?

That was the problem with my ftth installation the KN guy didn't want to follow the route of the old phone line which is also the same route the VM cable takes. Have you got an installation date? I'd say you're in the doghouse big time.

Coming Tuesday,she tried to have a go but was put back in her box sharpish when I told her she can do the song & dance next year when renewing.I hope he installs where Virgin point is(behind the tv) as I dont want a modem in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

Hi,

Called Virgin Media this afternoon and despite sending an email to cancel@virginmedia.ie they are not taking this as 30days notice.

They said that it wasn't the appropriate way to cancel and that call to customer care is always needed. Signed up again in wifes name last week before the end of black friday deals.

This is highly irritating but I suppose I will have to take the hit for one month at this stage. Maybe a charge back would be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jaypea1

I am about to do the same. Can you tell me what TV box you got this time? I have the impression that they are moving away from the TV360 to the streaming type box.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭EarWig

That's BS. I cancelled by email and never picked up for three phone calls and the cancellation went through.

But, they do reset the cancellation date if they talk to you later about your cancellation attempt.

Rogue company in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ask for a complaints reference number because you want to escalate it with ComReg. ComReg already have issues with Virgin Media and their cancelation process so doing something like this won't look good for them.

No way I'd be taking the hit for that absolutely no way, they're a shower of chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Mines up at the end of Jan, silly question to some I guess but do I have to wait until the end to cancel?

I'm thinking 30 days in advance but never done this so apologies if its a stupid q.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Yep you can give your 30 days notice in advance.

Got Sky fibre installed yesterday,setup my mesh network easy enough.All flying again.

F**k Virgin

They installed in the hall and I hid the modem and cables in the cabinet thats there.Just my eero hub on top.Nice and tidy

Happy so far

Peppa pig is back and xmas aint cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I did get offered 12 months half price after declining 6 and 9, but they insisted that it would require a fibre install. I considered the options, not all but to summarise:

They do have fibre at my location, and so do siro.

If they do the install and use their own fibre, I potentially face another fibre install to change later.

The VM fibre ONT boxes are terribly large in size.

If I were to go with siro-based knowing I was buying from a siro reseller, it's such a simple switch later to another provider reselling it.

I went with slro-based, same speed as the half price VM for 5 euro less per month, 12 month contract and simple change if needed, plus I know that it won't require an installation if I change. I also know exactly what I'm dealing with for handling a small duct blockage. VM could be similar or indeed a lot worse, and changing later could mean having to get siro anyway.

VM are having none of any half price offers, best they could do is 14 euro off - saying I've had too many deals, which is true, for the past several years - will be signing up in my name tomorrow. Really wish I had other options for fibre broadband, instead of the likely 20mb from Eir et al

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

renewed last year on 250Mbos half price for 6 months. Rang to cancel today and got it for €40 for 12 months. Happy enough as the phone line teminates in the hall with no power nearby so would have to run a cable of some description somewhere

• Advertisement

Signed up in my name this morning, 500mb for 35 euro, new box arriving tomorrow - so stupid for VM not to retain customers (I'm not a heavy user by any means) with so much competition out there now.

Will have to play the merry dance in a years time again but hopefully by then eir have upgraded the lines around here to proper fibre so I can keep swapping each year.

Forwent trying to keep the landline number - too expensive to switch to a VOIP provider - no one really calls on it anyway so not hard to let everyone know the new number

Advertisement