Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

How do you ensure that there is no cut in broadband service? Do you have to perfectly time it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

With about 4 days to go before it cuts off sign up as a new customer the new modem will arrive within three days, sometimes it can arrive the next day but don't cut it that fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

We just signup two days or so before the contract ends. You pay for the overlap but there is no break in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭andyred

I set an account up a couple of years ago in my name to pay my mothers bill at her house. The price has gone up to about 150 euro a month which is mental. Contract is up in 2 weeks. Is it possible I can sign my mother up for a new customer deal but keep the landline phone number already at the house?

What would be the best way of doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

The disadvantage of signing up as a new customer (in a different name) is that you lose your existing landline number and tv recordings.

Saying that, I have never gone through the process of trying to transfer our landline number as an existing customer given we only use it for outgoing calls. It is probably worth querying what that process is and giving it a go, with the risk of losing the number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does anyone know when the Sky deal with VM comes in to place - just checked now and its max 100mb which means its still with Eir and best i can get is about 20mb (says 100mb but from previously having had Eir its really 20 if you're lucky, they are upgrading the lines in the area at the mo)

Been with VM so many years and such a rigmarole to get a deal - worst case scenario will cancel and sign up in my name but problem being losing the landline number we've had for 20+ years (was thinking move it to a virtual phone provider then move it back if that would work)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

Yeah it's a real pain ringing up every year. I'd nearly pay an extra fiver a month to avoid it.

They really rip off customers who aren't prepared to move or at least threaten to move

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its probably easier to change the payment details to her if thats what you're looking to do, no?

EDIT: NVM, you want a new deal. yeah, you lose the landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

I live on my own and just canceled VM. Am I right in thinking I could create an account in say my sister's name with the same payment details and they'd send out a new box and treat me as a new customer?

I am yet to hear back about improved deals.

Just use your middle name in the application if you don't use it already, a different phone number if you have one makes it easier if you ever have to ring them. I've swapped between bank accounts. I think they'll take Revolut now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've used the same name, bank account, email etc. Only thing that triggers their system is the mobile number, that has to be different. Just buy a sim and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

Just for info folks, my TV/broadband 12 month contract ran out with virgin media and I rang to cancel. Was offered the same half price offer for 54pm 9 months then full for 3 months. This was after they offered 15pm off and then after a no deal they offered half price for 6 months. They eventually offered 9 months half price when I asked to cancel. I'm in the lucky position to have siro at my address so I can switch to sky for much less which they no doubt take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Contract up at the end of this month. Sent the cancellation email with a months notice, was offered €55 per month for 500mb.

I rang back today to confirm cancellation and was offered €50 per month for 500mb, again I said not a hope, then I got the offer of 1gb for €40 a month for 12 months so took it.

Happy with that offer considering it’s €45 per month for 1gb for new customers.

Good price, 1gig isn't as reliable as the 500meg, I've had to reboot the modem more times than I ever had to do with the 500meg, speeds would randomly drop to single figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Does it matter if there's a bit of over lap between old customer's 30 day cancellation period and new customers sign up date? With how my family is arranging it they'll be about 2 weeks where 2 plans will be active at the same time, I suppose we could just say we're new tenants?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It doesn't matter. Just unplug the existing boxes and plug in the new ones. It works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Is there a logic reason for this type of behaviour?

Just sent the cancellation email, 30 mins waiting wait time on the phone, wait and see if they offer anything

Nothing that I could see, the info from the router is sparce to say the least. Speeds dropped to rock bottom this afternoon but I couldn't reboot the router as I had somebody working from home, it seems to have regained its composure by itself. I never ever had to do anything like that when I had 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Sky install happening tomorrow so will report back. Virgin did try to retain me but decided to continue with sky so I have them installing and can then switch annually to whatever I get - also a good time to do it as black Friday offers are usually good. Modem isn’t coax so interested to see what sky install and from where.

• Advertisement

Just checked there and still not available, deal started end of October between them. Hoping I get a good deal off VM at this point

the sky deal relies on you being in a fibre area - virgin upgraded mine a few months ago. Didn’t have fibre anyone else.

I can get 1gb, cables round here were upgraded a few years ago

I'd say they're going to ignore the VM cabling and either put you on fttc or run new fibre into the house putting you on ftth. Be very interesting to see what the installer does or doesn't do, some of them couldn't be bothered whether they connect you or not.

What speed did they say you were going to be getting?

Sky installed. They installed fibre into the home - it was virgin team that did it. Plugged in the sky box and all active. I just went with the 500mb package with TV for €49. Install location at their most convenient point which is an outside wall. Fortunately I have some cat 6 points right beside it to locate the sky box in my comms cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Still waiting on the fibre to be activated in the area after the install at the start of the year.

Then it’s bye bye Virgin. 80 quid per month for broadband. Crazy

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Went through the whole phone call rigmarole to no avail and cancelled. If I do the reorder under the wife's name do I need to wait the 30 days or how does it work? Want to avail of the back Friday deals.

• Advertisement

Order now if you like, just plug in the new router when it arrives, sorted.

Advertisement