Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

rang and told them to quit the bullshit, I wanted a discount or I'll sign up with a different name.

No disocunt offered, price was offered was 45E for 12 months 250mb broadband only. Told them to process my cancelation. Can I just make up any new account name? Guess so

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dubmel

I am wondering if anyone can help please.

I am planning to cancel and take an account in my OH's name, but ideally I would like the broadband only 500Mb over 24 months (available on switcher.ie for €40pm) with the World Talk Add On/Home Phone Add On (€3pm), is that an option?

I can't seem to find the 500Mb over 24 months offer on the Virgin website, nor the home phone add-on on the switcher.ie website?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why would you want to do that when you can get 500 meg for 35 and add on the phone package for 3? Change user again next year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dubmel

Because it has taken me 3 years of paying €70pm before I found the time/energy to do something about it, so I would rather not bet on it happening again in a year's time!

I am also concerned about a potential interruption of service since we work from home. Are there any tips on that front?

I'm on my third session as a new customer, I hope they won't clamp down on it. Give your 30 days notice and take note of the final day of service. About 5 days before it finishes sign up online as a new customer, you'll receive a new modem very quickly, sometimes it actually arrives the next day but err on the side of caution and give it 5 days. When the new modem arrives plug it in, let it update etc and connect to it making sure you have internet, then change the SSID and password to what the old one was and you're sorted for 12 months 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

All it takes is to cancel and signup in a new name a few days before the cancellation kicks in. An overlap of contracts of a few days avoids any issues of loss of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Do you literally make up a name? Or are you using someone else you live with to sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭bren2001

I use the same name, same bank account, different email, different mobile phone number (i just get a tesco sim).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’ve seen people mention that the account is tied to a phone number, so changing the name alone wouldn’t work. We just switch between us each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Has anyone any info on signing up in different name? Have you done it lately and how do I avoid a drop in the service for a few days?

Can't justify paying 70 euro for 500mb broadband only.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

It says in the comments above that you need a different phone number.

I accepted the "half price for 12 months" sms offer on Wednesday. It said I would receive confirmation of my order within 72 hours. But I haven't received anything. I still don't know what I've actually signed up for - what package or what price. It said there was a 14 day cooling off period, but it's mad you're expected to sign up just to get details.

For the past year I've been paying for tv+broadband at €114 with €45.01 off offer so €68.99 plus €14.99 extra room, so total €83.98. The renewal notice said it would now be 114+14.99=€128.99 total - which I told them was too much so cancel.

If this offer is half price for my existing bundle that would be 114÷2=€57 plus extra room at 14.99 so total €71.99.

I just cannot believe Virgin are offering a cheaper renewal so I remain sceptical until I get the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ALS

Gave cancellation notice 2 weeks ago €60 per month for 250 mb, they called today and offered 500 mb @ €35 for 12 months… happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Was this for a 12 month contract?

I'm going to ring them today to see what they can do for me

Also, is there still a customer loyalty number I can ring?

Post edited by Billy Mays on

Just got off the phone to them there.

Best they'd offer me was €48 for 12 months. Asked for the €35 deal for 12 months but they wouldn't budge. Told her I've friends who've been given that deal after cancelling but still no dice so went ahead and cancelled. I also told her I'll just get my housemate to sign up as a new customer to which she replied they won't accept new customers to an address that has recently cancelled which I suspect is bullsh!t.

Anyway I'll wait and see if they get back to me in the next couple of weeks

Lads, please don't be telling them about changing users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭ALS

Yes 12 month contract, when they rang me back the lady asked had I any other arrangements sorted for BB yet and I told her my wife was signing up as a new customer at €35 per month and agent said no need I can offer that now if I stay

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coupons1987

I had signed up for a new contract recently which they insisted I upgrade for. Installer arrived today and wanted to run new cables into the house and give me this new box , I refused he confirmed you can not record RTE or the BBC on this. And the modem has to be where the cable is put in the wall I didn’t want this mess. Wonder will they leave me continue with my 360 box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭antfin

It would be difficult for them to enforce a rule that a new customer can't sign up at the same address within a specific period after a cancellation because this would exclude house movers etc. But telling them that you're going to do it is eventually going to lead to a change of policy where they will enforce a system of putting a note on the address to scrutinise a "new customer" more clearly! It's an oversight that they don't already carry out greater scrutiny of "new customer" offers at addresses if they know there is limited compitetion in the area!

Following on from my previous posts, I had to phone Virgin today as I never received anything to confirm the half price for 12 months sms cancellation offer I signed up to. Turns out it hadn't gone through properly so glad I rang.

Anyway, I'm shocked but delighted to find that it will be truly half price for 12 months - even better than I had hoped.

So 1Gb broadband+Bigger TV+extra room for €64.50 instead of full price €128.99.

And that's less than the €83.98 I paid as a new customer for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

Called the loyalty team and I was offered the same price as a new customer for 500mb broadband. 35 for 12 months. So I took it

Renewal was surprisingly easy this time, especially since it's going into the 4th year now without changing names. Called up expecting to have to push hard with my starting point being the new customer offer for 12 months but I'd have settled for €10 more across BB, TV and multiroom... immediate agreement and new customer offer was given for another 12 months!

I was wondering why it was so easy and then I remembered they'd given access to Sky on their network. They're usually well aware that the next best BB speed at my address is only 100mb. Checked my availability on the Sky site and, yip, 1GB now available. The offers are equal enough of I was go with Sky stream and I have the proper hard drive box with Virgin so it at least saves me the switching of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

That is very interesting! Was expecting a bigger fight myself but the whole thing was rather pleasant. I checked my details on the sky website there and it only shows 70mb so maybe it isn't available to everyone just yet. Get regular 400mb download without ethernet with virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

question do they send an email when the 12 months discount is up

I'm current on 1gb and tv for €57 /pm. do they contact me when the contract is up?

You need to call. They will just roll you over to a non-discounted price and continue as normal otherwise. For you that would probably be €114 per month for their 1GB and loaded TV package so well worth calling up in advance of the contract expiring!

So got the call back today. First offer was 24 months @ €48 (250mb). Told him no dice so the next offer was €31.50 for 12 months. Asked could I get the new customer offer of 500mb for €35 for 12 months and he agreed.

Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Rang up, asked to given intention of notification to cancel. They asked why. I said price increases. They asked anything we can do to make you stay. I said unless you can move me onto the new customer 500g for €35 for 12 months to proceed with the cancellation.

To be fair be instantly moved me onto the new customer deal.

• Advertisement

Great to see them giving 500 for 35, I'm out of contract in May, will they give me that offer? Not a chance 😡

Advertisement