Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Just off the phone with VM. Wanted to cancel but honestly they are the best on offer around here so was hoping they could offer something better. Got them down to €49 for 9 months for 360 BB and phone and the increase won't apply in January. Cant complain about the service either as it is amazing. They ran FTTH last year so speed tests are always at around 365 mb -380mb.
    Changed from three mobile to VM while I was at it. 3months free them 25 p/month for unlimited. Half what I was paying 3 for the same thing and they use 3 network anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Just off the phone to 1908. Was chatting to Kevin. I'm on the 240 BB & home phone package, which was going up from €56 to €59.50. Declined the €10 off per month, then got offered half price for three months, and then half price for 6 months. Pushed for 9 months at half price, but he says that offer isn't there on my account. Getting sent out a new router too. Currently I'm paying €672 a year, would have been €714 with the increase, but got it down to €531.

Same for me. They first initially offered 3 months half price and I said no. I asked for 9 months and she asked me to hold on for a few minutes while she speaks to her supervisor. She came back with a 6 months half price offer and said that I can't get the 9 months half price. Agreed to that offer as it also includes unlimited mobile calls while I only used to have unlimited landline calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So I still didn't get the email. But didn't wanna miss out on the action.

Contract not up until December, so chanced my arm.

After some begging, I got 6 months half price (29.50) and 6 months full price. Also downgraded to 240mb. The operator did the usual "Check with supervisor" thing and said I wouldn't get this offer again. Like groundhog day from last year!

360mb is excessive and most websites and servers are capped anyway so you'll rarely benefit from it unless your downloading torrents all day. I'm ethernet to the router on all streaming devices (Smart TV, desktop/workstation) so all good in the hood. I also lost my unlimited international minutes, but 400 minutes a month on the 240mb package is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

Didn’t get mail yet but Rang 1908 anyway saying I did

Got offered 6 months half price and refused based on 3rd yearly increase, proceeded to cancel

While on hold, and they were processing my cancellaition, the supervisor approved 9 months half price/ 3 months full

I’m on 240mb BB/ TV/ Phone

Already saved €45 from next month as still in contract until Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

padski08 wrote: »
    Didn’t get mail yet but Rang 1908 anyway saying I did

Got offered 6 months half price and refused based on 3rd yearly increase, proceeded to cancel

While on hold, and they were processing my cancellaition, the supervisor approved 9 months half price/ 3 months full

I’m on 240mb BB/ TV/ Phone

Already saved €45 from next month as still in contract until Nov

Tried the same thing there and she wouldn't budge beyond 6 months @ half price. Will try again in a few days.

• Advertisement

Tried the same thing there and she wouldn't budge beyond 6 months @ half price. Will try again in a few days.

Do you have bb and phone only? If so then you probably won't be getting 9 months as it appears to be only offered to those with TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

deep1 wrote: »
    Tried myself just to check the offer and best they can offer is 10€ off for 9 months, getting 6 month half price from last few years. I did ask for 9 month but they can't offer me.

Didn't push him too much as will be going to sky as it work out much cheaper even with 9 month half price. Sick of yearly increase at this stage.

Called again with intention to cancel, guy asked me to wait while he check better offer, came back with 6 month half price and said can’t offer 9 months as I am getting 6 months off last 2 years.
    Only have BB though so doubt will get better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone who got new deals did you get the 3.50 taken off ? as ive renewed just few weeks back and gotten email same day it came out so pretty sure im getting hit with that, just bummed out that i renewed earlier, before this came out :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Amouar wrote: »
    Do you have bb and phone only? If so then you probably won't be getting 9 months as it appears to be only offered to those with TV.

I only have broadband and phone and I was offered the 9 months at €44 and 3 months at €58.50 which I declined.

Interesting though, I got a call this evening from them wanting more information as to why I was cancelling? Said it was all down to price and I was going to Sky for €37.50 a month for 12 months. She told me the speeds were much slower, (half of what I am using now) but I said I didn't care, it was all down to price for me. Pushed again for 12 months at €44 but she wouldn't budge.

I'll give it a few weeks and try again!

I only have broadband and phone and I was offered the 9 months at €44 and 3 months at €58.50 which I declined.

Interesting though, I got a call this evening from them wanting more information as to why I was cancelling? Said it was all down to price and I was going to Sky for €37.50 a month for 12 months. She told me the speeds were much slower, (half of what I am using now) but I said I didn't care, it was all down to price for me. Pushed again for 12 months at €44 but she wouldn't budge.

I'll give it a few weeks and try again!

I meant 9 months half price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Last year the best they would do is 6 months half price with broadband only. If you have tv they seem to be able to do 9 months half price. Did anyone with broadband only get 9 months half price, i doubt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

deep1 wrote: »
    Called again with intention to cancel, guy asked me to wait while he check better offer, came back with 6 month half price and said can’t offer 9 months as I am getting 6 months off last 2 years.
    Only have BB though so doubt will get better than that!

I think the same. 9 months half seems to be for full package of tv broandband and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No sign of 9-months for me. Only 6. I'm a BB/HomePhone customer.

It's likely only applicable on TV customer packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Offered 6 months half price (€32).

I'm BB & Phone....

Told the guy I spoke with that I'd think about the 6 months half price offered.
    I'd say they are withered from the haggling and pretending to go to their manager etc.

He did try the Siro have extra changes line with me after I told him I can get €25/month for 6 months & €55 for the remainder on a 12 months contract. I told him that was bo!!*cks & he even had a little laugh himself.

He even gave me an order number for the offer he gave me so as not to "have to go through all this again" (his words)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

SEORG wrote: »
    Offered 6 months half price (€32).

I'm BB & Phone....

Told the guy I spoke with that I'd think about the 6 months half price offered.
    I'd say they are withered from the haggling and pretending to go to their manager etc.

He did try the Siro have extra changes line with me after I told him I can get €25/month for 6 months & €55 for the remainder on a 12 months contract. I told him that was bo!!*cks & he even had a little laugh himself.

He even gave me an order number for the offer he gave me so as not to "have to go through all this again" (his words)

This is another thing, even on same package price differs ( legacy plan).
    For example I am on 57.50 and going to 61 but he said he will give me discount on 59€ plan which is new customer plan. So 29.50€ for 6 month and €59 for next 6.
    Only few euros but every little helps. Got the order number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

pj12332 wrote: »
    Last year the best they would do is 6 months half price with broadband only. If you have tv they seem to be able to do 9 months half price. Did anyone with broadband only get 9 months half price, i doubt it?

I'm broadband only and got 9 months half price

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m broadband only and I’ve has 9 months half price twice and six months once, I’m due to ring them again now to see what I can get now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I’m broadband only and I’ve has 9 months half price twice and six months once, I’m due to ring them again now to see what I can get now :)

Keep us informed I’m in the same boat!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If I switched to one of the companies that use Eir's phone line, do I also need to pay line rental? Or is it included in the cost? At the moment I'm with Virgin. €60 a month for just Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Well that call was a waste of time - currently paying €74 - offered reduction to €64 for 6 months and back up to €79 after that. Have requested they go ahead and cancel in 30 days, so will see if there's any further movement from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi anyone that’s waiting on a call back in the hope for a better deal , are you signing up to another company or just sitting tight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

So I made that famous call to Virgin this morning. I'm on the 240mb broadband and phone package. I spoke to a nice Irish girl and just said I needed a better deal because this new price increase would practically bring my bill to €60pm and that was far too expensive for broadband as I don't use the phone package. I told her I was considering Sky at €30pm, she then went on to tell me Sky only have 100mbs and I just said my neighbour is Sky and averages 40mb and that would suit me fine as I only use the broadband for general usage and streaming. She then offered 6 months half price on the new package which would include mobile calls too, I was reluctant and saying that's still €531 a year versus Sky's €360. I said can you get me 9 months half price and I'll take a new contract, she said she didn't think that was available but said she'd check anyway, so she put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said she was lucky enough to have just gotten me the 9 months half price at €29.50 and then the final 3 months full price at €59. Deal done and dusted. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭b1964

shocksy wrote: »
    So I made that famous call to Virgin this morning. I'm on the 240mb broadband and phone package. I spoke to a nice Irish girl and just said I needed a better deal because this new price increase would practically bring my bill to €60pm and that was far too expensive for broadband as I don't use the phone package. I told her I was considering Sky at €30pm, she then went on to tell me Sky only have 100mbs and I just said my neighbour is Sky and averages 40mb and that would suit me fine as I only use the broadband for general usage and streaming. She then offered 6 months half price on the new package which would include mobile calls too, I was reluctant and saying that's still €531 a year versus Sky's €360. I said can you get me 9 months half price and I'll take a new contract, she said she didn't think that was available but said she'd check anyway, so she put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said she was lucky enough to have just gotten me the 9 months half price at €29.50 and then the final 3 months full price at €59. Deal done and dusted. Happy out.

hi what number did you ring ?

Made the call. Was due to go from €58.50 to €62.

Offer (1): put me on new bundle @ €59 then apply 6 month reduction to €49 then back to €59 for remaining 6 months. [REJECTED]

Offer (2): €29.50 for 6 months then €59 for 6 months. [REJECTED]

Put on hold for 5 mins while the pleasant gentleman spoke to his team leader.

Offer (3) €29.50 for 9 months then €59 for 3 months [ACCEPTED]

This is for 240mb B.B. with phone package. I don’t use the phone package as I dont have a phone connected at home.
    I could have got upgraded to 320mb B.B. for €5 a month extra, but I think 240mb is more than adequate. Happy with that. :)
    I rang 1908 option 1 option 1. No holding straight on to customer service.

b1964 wrote: »
    hi what number did you ring ?

Then I was asked to press 1 if I was calling about the contract change.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

I got 6 months half price for BB&phone, 1 year contract. Glad I knew to hold out, thanks to you guys. They stuck firm on the 6 months when I asked for 9 and I nearly proceeded with cancellation to see if they would contact me in a few weeks but I gave in in the end due to laziness on my part, a bird in the hand and all that. I don't have a phone line so it would be hassle if I had to get one organised. Definitely worth it for the sake of a 2 minute phone call.

Did anyone get a confirmation email of their new offer?

shocksy wrote: »
    Did anyone get a confirmation email of their new offer?

Not yet. The guy I was talking to didn’t mention it and I didn’t ask. Probably should have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I was told yesterday that I was going to get a confirmation e-mail, but I haven't received it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Well that call was a waste of time - currently paying €74 - offered reduction to €64 for 6 months and back up to €79 after that. Have requested they go ahead and cancel in 30 days, so will see if there's any further movement from them

had similar response from them back in april. Except they wouldnt offer any deal. They told me I had too many deals in the past!! Left to go to EIR.

Upside
    Cost for tv/bb/phone is 45 EUR for 12 months, then 91 for 6 (then switch again)
    Cant see any difference in broadband speed
    Dont have to use Horizon box

Downside
    TV channel choice is not as good as Virgin, but we don't watch a lot anyways.

Advertisement