Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

beauf wrote:
    Of course they might not care...

The only way that I see them not caring is if people request unreasonable offers. Then I'm sure VM is aware of the competition offers and know that such customers will not get that pricing anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

j4vier wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that many people out there don't want this hassle and will just pay up the price.

A lot of people also have no choice but to go with Virgin as they're tenants in apartments / houses that don't have any other form of connection point. They can't quit Virgin without permission from landlord to get a normal connection installed. If in a house share, people also don't want the hassle of potentially being days without service during the switchover and coming across as scrooges by only saving a few € in the process for what will almost certainly be an inferior service...

If they're leaving the place within 12 months, they also can't commit to / renegotiate a contract because they'd have to pay a €200 termination charge if they break the contract...

As Virgin are only really in major urban areas (i.e. the cities), a fair chunk of their customer base would be in the situation I describe above so I'd imagine most simply pay up regardless of what changes are made by Virgin to contracts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As Virgin are only really in major urban areas (i.e. the cities), a fair chunk of their customer base would be in the situation I describe above so I'd imagine most simply pay up regardless of what changes are made by Virgin to contracts.

Even SIRO is rapidly rolling out in urban areas.
    People do have options, and increasingly, they are very valid alternate options.
    Vodafone are doing a 200Mb bundled connection with SIRO- and are rolling out rapidly. Others are piggybacking on SIRO- and thats just one technology- Imagine and other suppliers- are investing big bucks in massively increasing their potential catchment.

Increasingly there are damn good options out there- but the 200Mb connection from Vodafone on SIRO- is up there with as good as it gets at the moment- even in an urban setting (and its plenty cheaper than UPC/Virgin's 240Mb connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Why does no one offer say 50mb BB for a very reasonable price ......... remember the days of 3mb with BT (who were also charging extortionate prices even then) those kind of speeds seemed unattainable .....now here we are today, and it still is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So had to cancel eir....big joke. Couldn’t install it today :(
    Rang Virgin spoke to a very nice lady. Got offered 9months half price for tv, B.B. and phone (works out at €58 per month) or 6 months half price for B.B. and phone (works out at €44). I think this is the best I can get. It’s my 3rd 9 months half price.
    Really wanted 9months half price phone and B.B. and then get free to view in :(
    Any idea what my chances are?

• Advertisement

Ok so a weird turn of events got a phone call from 012458600
    Had previously missed calls of them. I thought it was about giving back equipment. Anyway they basically said what do you want to stay with virgin!!!!! They couldn’t see any offers I had been given! I said 9 months half price B.B. and phone! She said no problem :)
    Kind of wish I had asked from 12 months half price lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Rang again this evening after a previous offer of 6 months two weeks ago.
    Got cut off from first call this evening with 6 months half price and Sky Sports and Cinema pack for €1 a month for 6 months offer on the table. Was told i couldn't get 9 months half price.
    Called back again and got another person.
    Came away very happy! Just got email to confirm too so better be correct......
    9 months half price TV & Broadband with 6 months Sky Sports and Cinema pack for €1 a month.
    I have previously had 9 months too.
    Very happy with this deal even if the TV box is fairly crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Just want to check I signed up to a new contract with a fairly rubbish deal in July. Does the removal of the €3.50 allow me to get out of that contract? Thinking of switching the TV to Sky and keeping the BB/ phone with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sure does.
    Should say it on the letter you got along with the "cancel by date" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, as I used it to prepare for my call to Virgin.

I Rang, and was asked if service or price was the reason for my cancellation

Stated price, and that EIR would offer similar service for 36 EUR / Month year on year.

Was asked if 6 Months @ 53, then 48 EUR would be acceptable, stated I needed half price for six months was deal I wanted, and was granted.

Could have went to nine months , but happy with deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

DGRulz wrote: »
    Just want to check I signed up to a new contract with a fairly rubbish deal in July. Does the removal of the €3.50 allow me to get out of that contract? Thinking of switching the TV to Sky and keeping the BB/ phone with Virgin.

Ring 1908 and ask them.

Gave up waiting for call from loyalty and rang them.
    1st offer was €15 a month off and then 6 months half price.
    Asked about the price difference between Eir & Virgin even after 6 months half price offer for BB & Phone only for slightly slower BB with Eir & Free BT Sports, staff member wasn't interested in matching Eir offer so cancelled.
    €122 difference a year is too much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Cancelled & as the accounts in the wifes name they tried ringing her several times , I rang them back (with her verifying Ive authority to talk to them) and he'd a look at my file and offered me the 9 months straight off the bat :cool:

It all depends on who you get I think the wench I got when I cancelled would only give me €10 a month off for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I cancelled on the 5th, no attempt to contact me so far, no idea what their retention criteria is but it seems totally random.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Like last year consulted this thread to see what was being offered.

First call was offered €15 off for 6mths, quoted the Eir 35x6 and 40x6 plus BT sports free and price difference etc. He kept quoting speed, told him it didnt matter to me,I just wanted broadband. He was having none of it."Do you wish to cancel sir, thats the best offer we can do unless you want a tv package added on"
    Just hung up and rang back, got a girl this time who offered the 6mth half price within two mins. After some more quoting Eir with free BT and price difference was put on hold and she came back with 9mth half price!

Like others said above, it defo depends on who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭magicray

I'm getting nowhere with them, ours is currently €96 a month and we are out of contract on the 7th of Jan
    Have made 2 calls and all they are offering is €15 off for 3 months, is there a good time to get them online - everytime I try they are offline

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

magicray wrote: »
    I'm getting nowhere with them, ours is currently €96 a month and we are out of contract on the 7th of Jan
    Have made 2 calls and all they are offering is €15 off for 3 months, is there a good time to get them online - everytime I try they are offline

If its any help I didn't use online chat I just rang 1908 and followed prompts to cancel due to increase at about 9.30 this morning. I got talking to someone instantly:eek: coudnt believe it, had packed lunch, phone plugged in, etc ready for half a day on hold...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

magicray wrote: »

Wait until you're actually out of contract- its only a forthnight- they'll only play mindgames with you until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hysenberg

I am with Virgin media just coming up to 2 years now. We have 240 internet with no channels and pay 50 a month.
    I've been in contact with eir and they've offered 100 internet with the sport channels included for 35e for 6 months and 40 there after.
    We are only interested in internet and maybe sports channels if the deal is right. What could I hope to get added to my current deal?

Best to have a read of previous pages but 6 months half price is average, a few have got 9 months half price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

When people say they are getting 6 or 9 months half price, is that at their current rate or the new higher rate that started the contract dispute?

Also, loyalty team finish for Christmas tomorrow, so keep that in mind if your cancellation is due next week or week after

kellsred wrote: »
    When people say they are getting 6 or 9 months half price, is that at their current rate or the new higher rate that started the contract dispute?

Also, loyalty team finish for Christmas tomorrow, so keep that in mind if your cancellation is due next week or week after

I am on 9 months half price €29.50 B.B. and phone. Was offered tv (not the basic) B.B. and phone for €44 and a few cent for 9months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Millem wrote: »
    I said 9 months half price B.B. and phone! She said no problem :)
    Kind of wish I had asked from 12 months half price lol ;)

Talked to them few weeks ago, got only €5 discount below what's for new clients. They said they can't give me more. I said no, and got Eircom installed. 100mb only instead of 240 from Virgin (I'm not heavy internet user) but 30% cheaper.

zom wrote: »
    Talked to them few weeks ago, got only €5 discount below what's for new clients. They said they can't give me more. I said no, and got Eircom installed. 100mb only instead of 240 from Virgin (I'm not heavy internet user) but 30% cheaper.

Yeah I think it depends on who you get. First person I got was very cross and not budging so I went ahead and ordered eir. Anyway my experience with eir was dreadful and I never even got to use the B.B.!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

I couldn't get a decent deal. And even after i cancelled at the end of November & no call back. All i got was €49 for first 6 months then €59 for the next 6 months BB/phone only. I got 9 months half price with the tv last year.

I fell like I'm getting a bad deal but don't want to move to Eir. I'm just going to suck it up.

baldbear wrote: »
    I couldn't get a decent deal. And even after i cancelled at the end of November & no call back. All i got was €49 for first 6 months then €59 for the next 6 months BB/phone only. I got 9 months half price with the tv last year.

I fell like I'm getting a bad deal but don't want to move to Eir. I'm just going to suck it up.

Did you tell them “your friend” got their 3rd 9 month half price?

Did you tell them “your friend” got their 3rd 9 month half price?

No i didn't say that. TBH i'm tired with the jumping through hoops & the crap talk from the agents. I might call again & say the price is still too high for me.

baldbear wrote: »
    No i didn't say that. TBH i'm tired with the jumping through hoops & the crap talk from the agents. I might call again & say the price is still too high for me.

That’s what I said.
    Did you get missed call yet from the 01 number?

That’s what I said.
    Did you get missed call yet from the 01 number?

No missed call in the 3 weeks i cancelled. i took the previous offer with 14 day cooling off period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Yeah I think it depends on who you get. First person I got was very cross and not budging so I went ahead and ordered eir. Anyway my experience with eir was dreadful and I never even got to use the B.B.!
    So you moved to Eir again or back?

Advertisement