Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

baldbear wrote: »

I fell like I'm getting a bad deal but don't want to move to Eir. I'm just going to suck it up.

Having done the math I knew there was no way VM could realistically match the current eir offer (I'm BB only) I waited to more or less the last day (I was only 2 months into a half price offer). I had no problems with them playing hard ball they are a business after all. I had a pleasant chat with a woman who pointed out the congestion I was going to face, I said for the savings it's worth the risk and I could always come back a year later if it was so bad. All very pleasant.

Going to wait and see what sky offer on 1 Jan and take it from there but for first time in 10 years I'll probably but be a VM customer... Hardly a big deal (I may have a different view in 2 months... We will see)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

travist wrote: »
    So you moved to Eir again or back?

I was with Virgin since 2007. All they offered was €15 off a month for 3 months so I gave my 30 days notice.
    Signed up to eir. Eir came to install (I still have Virgin until 29th if this month), they couldn’t install and gave me another date to install in January! No use to me so cancelled eir. Rang loyalty Virgin they offered me 6 months half price I said I would think about it as really wanted 9 months. Anyway then 01 number range me and said what do you want to stay with Virgin....so got my 9 months half price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Hi all, am I too late to try for a different deal do you think. I got the email then forgot to call think it had said before Dec 16th.. dooh. Or do you think it's worth a shot? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

gelsthe wrote: »
    Hi all, am I too late to try for a different deal do you think. I got the email then forgot to call think it had said before Dec 16th.. dooh. Or do you think it's worth a shot? Thanks

Are you out of contract? ......if so tell them you're considering other options, doesn't matter about that date

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Are you out of contract? ......if so tell them you're considering other options, doesn't matter about that date

Called them up, they wanted to know when I received notification via email, I told em it it said i could cancel my contract because of the price change until the 3rd of January.
    They said I'd received 6 months and 9 months half price over the past two years. I said that's correct. But now you've changed your price and I want to leave.

She offered me 10e off. I said nah, she transferred to customer loyalty they offered half price for 6 months.
    Boom.
    Happy days. Good job lads. Happy Christmas and thanks for the tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

asharkman wrote: »
    She offered me 10e off. I said nah, she transferred to customer loyalty they offered half price for 6 months.
    Boom.
    You were lucky or they changed their attitude since I called them few weeks ago and they didn't want to go below €10 off (and it was actually only €5 below new customer offer). And I'm happy with Eircom now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got my 1st bill of 9 months 1/2 price they charged me 100 euros when it should be 44.50

25 min call and they fixed it and tryed to make out I was wrong ha.

Had to go to a superviser as the 1st guy just was saying to me no your wrong none stop to me.

I am only staying as it's cheap ha and I get 100mb on Wi-Fi so I can't give out

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

I cancelled a couple of weeks ago but had to cancel my cancellation due to a delay in moving house. They still went ahead and cancelled the tv anyway but left the bb on. Rang up and got the tv reconnected. Rang on Friday to give my 30 days notice again and was told I was in a new contract due to the reconnection and there would be a €200 charge to cancel. Told me there was nothing they could do even though it was their fault that they couldnt follow simple instructions. After a somewhat heated discussion and a request to speak to a manager they decided to waive the €200 charge. Very kind of them. I'm still fully expecting a €200 charge on the final bill! Absolute useless shower of robbers. Will never deal with them again

They did say they would match sky's price of €58.50 for the/bb which was something new

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They did say they would match sky's price of €58.50 for the/bb which was something new

Bet they didn't say they would match Eir's offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

they rang today after I cancelled on 16th Dec, they were confirming the cancellation date and the equipment return and asked me what it would take for me to stay, they gave me 6 months half price on 240MB BB and TV with phone and said they can't do better since I was on a 12 month half price discount already. So i took the offer.
    If someone is waiting for a call after they cancelled dont worry they WILL call you and offer you a better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

4real wrote: »
    they rang today after I cancelled on 16th Dec, they were confirming the cancellation date and the equipment return and asked me what it would take for me to stay, they gave me 6 months half price on 240MB BB and TV with phone and said they can't do better since I was on a 12 month half price discount already. So i took the offer.
    If someone is waiting for a call after they cancelled dont worry they WILL call you and offer you a better deal.

Just wondering did they call you on the virgin landline (ours has never had a phone connected) or your mobile. I cancelled 23 days ago now and no call so far.

Just wondering did they call you on the virgin landline (ours has never had a phone connected) or your mobile. I cancelled 23 days ago now and no call so far.

my mobile number, that's the only contact number i have given them on the account. Think you can add it in your My Virgin Media account online.

offer you a better deal.

Will wait for that call but if it's not 9 months BB & Phone half price, going to move to Eir.
    Too big of a difference especially with the Free Sports.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Will wait for that call but if it's not 9 months BB & Phone half price, going to move to Eir.
    Too big of a difference especially with the Free Sports.

same here, only took the deal because Eir is not offering Fibre in the apartment, their speed is barely enough for broadband never mind TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Called today about contract change, spoke to loyalty department, cancelled my tv and downgraded my broadband and done with no issues. No offer to do anything. They did offer to provide an itemised paper billing but why bother with the unnecessary paperwork. Seems they dont want the business. I've been a customer with NTL/UPC/Virgin over 15 years so why call it a loyalty dept. Should Vodafone broadband get its act together then bye Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Connrang wrote: »
    Hi,
    Called today about contract change, spoke to loyalty department, cancelled my tv and downgraded my broadband and done with no issues. No offer to do anything. They did offer to provide an itemised paper billing but why bother with the unnecessary paperwork. Seems they dont want the business. I've been a customer with NTL/UPC/Virgin over 15 years so why call it a loyalty dept. Should Vodafone broadband get its act together then bye Virgin.

Unless you genuinely want to leave, I'd call back tomorrow, tell them you are going with eir for half price for TV and broadband for 6 months. Then ask if they can match that.
    It's worth a 10 minute call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Just called there now and got half price - was initially offered €77 a month but I said that I heard friends got half price, can you do that. Put on hold for about 5 minutes...and offered all for half price. I already got a half price package for 6 months earlier this year that ran out in October so the line "you can only get it once" is BS! Keep trying! Savings to be made here.

Gotta say I feel sorry for those not on Boards & not looking to get the savings when these contracts are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I rang them today as well. Had cancelled and was due to be cut off tomorrow and hadn't had any call. Just said to them I had heard that people were being offered 6 and 9 month deals. Offered the 6 month half price straight away. Tried a bit to push for the 9 months but not too hard. Really didn't want to be cut off tomorrow! Half price on 120mb line (€26 then €52 after 6 months).

120mb line (€26 then €52 after 6 months).

€52 a month for 120mb and (assume) free phone calls sounds dear to me?
    I am was) paying just over that for 240mb and free call landline & mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭spannerism

My story goes like this...

Called them 4 x times on the 21st December.

3 x times - they offered 15 Euro off (My bundle is TV + 360mb + Phone)

My last call was to cancel everything and they offered 3 months @ half price.
    I said no and cancelled.

This is one price rise too many from VM. The market is going price conscious and these guys have no loyalty to existing customers.

At the moment....
    I've ordered the following:
    Sky TV @ 9 months half price [12 month contract] - Variety TV pack + HD + Multiroom @ 45.50 for 9 months.

Eir Fibre @ 35 Euro per month and then 40 Euro per month for the last 6 months [12 month contract]

With eir - I might have a bit of hassle but let's see. I signed an online 12 month contract with them and they have emailed me my contract details staying that the contract is 18 months. It's not installed yet so I can hopefully get out of it if it turns out to be 18 months. Of course, I'll argue with them.

Worst case is I cancel eir before the installation and then order sky fibre - no big loss.

Hope the above is helpful info to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

is 12 months the shortest you can get Eir BB?

order sky fibre

Currently on offer at €35 a month.

yep, may move to sky if Eir have messed up the order :)

Eir is slightly better due to cash back and the ability to make calls to mobiles from their landline.
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Currently on offer at €35 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

I think Eir do a bait and switch it's 12 months broadband but the minute you add TV it goes to 18months but they don't tell you.

I had Eir and Virgin in the chats earlier.

Virgin claimed i wasn't impacted by the price increase ( yet i got the letter). Any way i wanted upgrade from Broadband only to tv and Broadband. got it for 49euro 6 months and 80 6 months not a great deal but something off the list price and I have fear of Eir as the customer service is ****e...
    spannerism wrote: »
    My story goes like this...

Called them 4 x times on the 21st December.

3 x times - they offered 15 Euro off (My bundle is TV + 360mb + Phone)

My last call was to cancel everything and they offered 3 months @ half price.
    I said no and cancelled.

This is one price rise too many from VM. The market is going price conscious and these guys have no loyalty to existing customers.

At the moment....
    I've ordered the following:
    Sky TV @ 9 months half price [12 month contract] - Variety TV pack + HD + Multiroom @ 45.50 for 9 months.

Eir Fibre @ 35 Euro per month and then 40 Euro per month for the last 6 months [12 month contract]

With eir - I might have a bit of hassle but let's see. I signed an online 12 month contract with them and they have emailed me my contract details staying that the contract is 18 months. It's not installed yet so I can hopefully get out of it if it turns out to be 18 months. Of course, I'll argue with them.

Worst case is I cancel eir before the installation and then order sky fibre - no big loss.

Hope the above is helpful info to you all.

Hi Sharpish,

I ordered broadband with home phone which was a 12 month contract.
    Am in the process of chasing it up before they install. I knew I would have hassle when I ordered it :) But it's saving a lot of money but no excuse for hassle.

will let you know how it goes

spanner

sharpish wrote: »
    I think Eir do a bait and switch it's 12 months broadband but the minute you add TV it goes to 18months but they don't tell you.

I had Eir and Virgin in the chats earlier.

Virgin claimed i wasn't impacted by the price increase ( yet i got the letter). Any way i wanted upgrade from Broadband only to tv and Broadband. got it for 49euro 6 months and 80 6 months not a great deal but something off the list price and I have fear of Eir as the customer service is ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting new offer from Vodafone has got to be worth a look. Or worth a mention during the haggle.

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/vodafone-launches-sale/?utm_campaign=broadband&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Anyone have experience of Vodafone or Sky? How is their broadband?

I'm coming up to the 14 day cooling off period from Virgins offer they gave me so I might give them one last call to "cancel" . Have a feeling they will call my bluff, again. It feels like they wont' do a deal if I just opt for BB only.

€49 X 6 and € 59 X 6 is the best deal they could do me. ( yes they really done me) no more half price offers I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

my cancellation date is in 2 weeks, loyalty today offered me 15 off a month for 6 months, i said no thanks, she said no problem, have a nice day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Are VM untouchable for speed? Does anybody saying up to 100mb actually deliver? Does anyone use the VM fibre or is it some sort of fake fibre through the phone line?

I called up VM and got the 6 month for 43 and then 6 months at 58. I remember the good old days when everyone charged 40 a month!

Tempted by the Eir Sports inclusion but I need food internet for working from home via VPN...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Are VM untouchable for speed? Does anybody saying up to 100mb actually deliver? Does anyone use the VM fibre or is it some sort of fake fibre through the phone line?

I called up VM and got the 6 month for 43 and then 6 months at 58. I remember the good old days when everyone charged 40 a month!

Tempted by the Eir Sports inclusion but I need food internet for working from home via VPN...

You can get 100Mb from anyone who delivers over Eircom's network- providing you're practically at the box.

SIRO are rapidly rolling out nationally- and are even faster than UPC- but the best way to access SIRO is probably via Vodafone- who use it as the backbone for their new network they're deploying.

Advertisement