Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Which offer is that? thanks!

€35/month for 6 months and €40 for the remaining 6 months in a 12 month contract. Plus you get €50 cashback.

So it kicks the **** out of Virgin's public prices / bundles... and I'd imagine Virgin are well aware of it...

So over 12 months eir broadband & landline would cost €400 (including €50 cashback). Virgin, even with 6 months half price which you have to haggle for and have no guarantee of getting, costs €531...

Of course it's a better / faster service but still - it's not worth almost twice the price of Eir which is what it would work out as without any discounts.

Got a second email about the self-service discount being removed and contacted Virgin who said that I can disregard the one I got last month and that my current offer is still valid but that they will be adding the 3.30 to my bill even though I was told last month they would not. They claim that the new self-service email is the valid one and the email last month was sent accidentally.

Asked about 9 months half price and mentioned this thread on a chat and the reply from the Virgin agent was "We're aware about the forum on boards.ie most of it are not reliable as random people are capable to post anything they want". They went on to say that anyone claiming to have gotten 9 months half price and Sky Movies and/Sky Sports for 1 euro a month for 6-9 months was lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Asked about 9 months half price and mentioned this thread on a chat and the reply from the Virgin agent was "We're aware about the forum on boards.ie most of it are not reliable as random people are capable to post anything they want". They went on to say that anyone claiming to have gotten 9 months half price and Sky Movies and/Sky Sports for 1 euro a month for 6-9 months was lying.

The 1st rule of Virgin Contract Change thread is we don't talk about Virgin Contract Change thread! :eek:

pm1977x wrote: »
    The 1st rule of Virgin Contract Change thread is we don't talk about Virgin Contract Change thread! :eek:

Pretty certain that everyone in Virgin is aware of this thread and all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just got the 6 months half price for Phone and Broadband on live chat. Took about 15 mins, just shove that Eir offer down them and they'll offer it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Pretty certain that everyone in Virgin is aware of this thread and all the others.

I wish they didnt make us go through the song and dance when we ring them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

What time does the chat come online or is it hit and miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

What's the 061 loyalty number or any idea where in the thread I might find it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

boris1234 wrote: »
    What time does the chat come online or is it hit and miss?

I think the chat comes on at 8 or 9, but I found it hit and miss as to whether they'd say loyalty was online. The first three times they said they weren't online and asked me to ring, but I said I was in work and couldn't. The last time they did transfer me so you just have to keep trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭testtech05

sillysocks wrote: »
    I think the chat comes on at 8 or 9, but I found it hit and miss as to whether they'd say loyalty was online. The first three times they said they weren't online and asked me to ring, but I said I was in work and couldn't. The last time they did transfer me so you just have to keep trying!

Same story here 1st couple of times on chat was told they were offline but eventually got transferred.

Ended up getting 6 months half price and 6 months full price (360MB broadband). Had just finished 9months half price so they wouldnt budge any further it seemed and I didnt want to risk the hassle of disconnecting when realistically in my current circumstances they are my best option for broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

Tried on the online service this morning and they wouldn't budge from a €15 discount for 6 months. Cancelled and signed up with Eir Fiber instead for €35 for 6 months, €40 for 6 months and €50 cashback.

A pity as I would have stayed given a reasonable offer, which I even stated in the final sum up, but the market dictates in the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

sillysocks wrote: »

Got on to chat this morning and they first offered 6 months with 15 euro off. I wasn't happy with this and pushed further. They offered 6 months half price. Then I tried to push for 9 months but they wouldn't budge. So after threatening to cancel and a bit of back and forth about why I would cancel. I eventually settled for 6 months half price BB/Phone at 29.50 for 6 months. 59 for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

fall wrote: »
    What's the 061 loyalty number or any idea where in the thread I might find it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redser16

Just off the phone to loyalty there, was on 120mb broadband and phone for €52 a month. Offered 240mb for €49 a month for 1st 6 months and then €59 a month after. Mentioned EIR offer and pushed for half price, asked for an equipment upgrade as well. The assistant was a nice fellow to be fair and he said I would have to talk to Tech Dept about that. He said I had a 50/50 chance of getting an upgrade. Eventually pushed him for half price for 6 months and he said if I move onto 360mb he could do it and would also get equipment upgrade.
    So outcome 360mb for €32 for 1st six months and then €64 after for rest of 12 month contract and upgraded equipment as well. Also phone pushed up to mobile world package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i got no where, currently on 6 months half price with last increase coming to an end in jan.

No offer to stay, cant offer anything as on an offer, so i cancelled and i will go elsewhere.

i told them they could call if they want to discuss further and was told they dont do outgoing calls! ha

dont use the phone and increasingly using iptv and netflix so they wont be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Doodoo wrote: »
    Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

After numerous phone calls and online chat with Virgin Media I managed to get 6 months half price (€23.24) and 6 months full price (€49.99) - 240mb broadband and anytime world phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Got a second email about the self-service discount being removed and contacted Virgin who said that I can disregard the one I got last month and that my current offer is still valid but that they will be adding the 3.30 to my bill even though I was told last month they would not. They claim that the new self-service email is the valid one and the email last month was sent accidentally.

Proof is in the screen shot!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- in light of the hassle we're all experiencing- should someone start a SIRO thread- esp. for those of us who only use broadband (and get phone because its cheaper than to not get phone........). I'm keeping an eye out on North Kildare and West Dublin- which is increasingly being activated- and Galway city and Cork county- which are also rapidly being turned on.

Personally- I only really want broadband- I care/need anything else. I get the 360Mb package from UPC- but would be just as happy with 240Mb- and will shortly be able to get 200Mb SIRO (from Vodafone) for less than the half-price offer from Virgin/UPC.

I've had it with all the hassle and stress of trying to get a reasonable contract from this shower.
    I've been a customer for over 20 years- I don't need this crap.
    I haven't moved- because there wasn't a realistic viable alternate- up to now- however, as soon as I have a reasonable alternate- I'm jumping.

As for the EUR3.51 being added to our accounts in January- the contracts they sent us clearly state that its included when all discounts expire- so good luck with any of their agents defending that one............

I'm just frazzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People on these forums said before they liked the haggling. Personally I find it ridiculous. They should offer a discount for long term customers to encourage them to stay. It would attract more customers if they thought they get a long service discount.

Most people can't use the extra speed that VM media offer because they don't have the expertise or the personal equipment to take advantage of it. So there is no penalty for them to switch to a slower provider if the price is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Long ish time customer. With the price increases, cost of plan (240mb bb, tv and phone) was going up by about 290

Eventually got an offer of 9 months half price, 3 months full price through the online
    chat.kept on bringing up the idea of switching to bb only and cited the eir offer (6*35,6*40). Was probably the fifth or sixth attempt at getting loyalty on the chat! Hang in there folks, stay polite but persistent!

Not going through this again next year though... So I tell myself anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

beauf wrote: »
    People on these forums said before they liked the haggling. Personally I find it ridiculous. They should offer a discount for long term customers to encourage them to stay. It would attract more customers if they thought they get a long service discount.

Most people can't use the extra speed that VM media offer because they don't have the expertise or the personal equipment to take advantage of it. So there is no penalty for them to switch to a slower provider if the price is better.

Have to agree, over the phone with them said to me going through the records you've been a customer 7 yrs and not got much back (never had a deal off them) so why the hell was one never offered .......even then he first came back with 44 euro for 6 months had to ask if thats the best they can do ..............at least UPC gave free upgrades in speeds regularly .........this crowd are just going through the roof on prices with nothing back unless you go begging

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

just off the phone with them, she refused straight away to offer me anything apart from 15€ off for 6 months.
    I proceeded with the cancellation, hopefully they will ring me in a few days to offer a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Tried twice already, no sign of 9months half. Got offered the 6months half though.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    ... ............at least UPC gave free upgrades in speeds regularly ............

UPC were a terrible shower. Much the same culture has carried on into VM operation. The Both are torture to get your account and billing sorted. Both pull all sorts of messing with verbal contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Rang last week looking to see what they would do "to keep my business". ;)
    Rang customer service, never got to talk to cancellations or loyalty because they were too busy to answer the phone.
    Bloke said loyalty would ring me back, still waiting. :eek:

Last year they rang me after 30 days, on the day I was going to be cut off.

The crazy thing is all of us just want a decent deal. if they offered that to long term customers their would be no need for all this hassle.

..or fix the box so people are happy to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

The reality is that VM will only give a discount if you have done your research and now that you can get better. I went through the process of ringing and got slowly down to 6 months half price. But it was a slow process and I needed an Excel spreadsheet opened in front of me to work out exactly what I was being offered. Some offers that I got were there to confuse me by offering a few months at a good price and the remaining months at a price higher that what I would be paying now even after the increase.

I'm pretty sure that many people out there don't want this hassle and will just pay up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ALS

Same here , I rang Dec 4th , still waiting on call back
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    Rang last week looking to see what they would do "to keep my business". ;)
    Rang customer service, never got to talk to cancellations or loyalty because they were too busy to answer the phone.
    Bloke said loyalty would ring me back, still waiting. :eek:

• Advertisement

j4vier wrote: »
    The reality is that VM will only give a discount if you have done your research and now that you can get better.....

More like if they think you are serious about leaving and they want to keep you.

Of course they might not care...

Advertisement