Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Virgin Media are a joke.

The missus is a huge Big Brother fan and recently they stopped showing Big Brothers Bit On The Side.

This only encourages people to watch Channel 5 on the FTA Boxes or through the other channels section on a Sky Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

mikeym wrote: »
    Virgin Media are a joke.

The missus is a huge Big Brother fan and recently they stopped showing Big Brothers Bit On The Side.

This only encourages people to watch Channel 5 on the FTA Boxes or through the other channels section on a Sky Box.

I haven’t watched big brother but dropping bit on the side midway through is a stupid decision.

I see the 3news Facebook page only changed their name to virgin media news this week, not a big deal but if your doing a rebrand, you do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

mikeym wrote: »
    Virgin Media are a joke.

Same here. She wasn’t at all impressed when one night she recorded Jeremy Kyle! Any idea of what technical problems meant they couldn’t show Big Brother on Two but could on One?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

medoc wrote: »
    Same here. She wasn’t at all impressed when one night she recorded Jeremy Kyle! Any idea of what technical problems meant they couldn’t show Big Brother on Two but could on One?

Showing an episode of Jeremy Kyle at 10pm on a weeknight was the strangest replacement of a show.
    No idea why they switched channels at the last minute. You'd wonder what kind of a mess is going on with dropping of 2 shows in BBBOTS and Loose Women, along with these erratic last min schedule changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iseegirls wrote: »
    Showing an episode of Jeremy Kyle at 10pm on a weeknight was the strangest replacement of a show.
    No idea why they switched channels at the last minute. You'd wonder what kind of a mess is going on with dropping of 2 shows in BBBOTS and Loose Women, along with these erratic last min schedule changes.

They probably don’t even know themselves. They don’t come across as the most competent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

How many Saorview viewers know there are highlights of CL matches from both Tuesday and Wednesday tonight at 10.15pm on VM1?

No Ireland AM on Bank Holiday Monday next week, and no The Tonight Show all next week. Ireland AM has been broadcasting every bank holiday for nearly 2 years now from 9pm-12pm. Seems like a late change as the weekly TV guides have my picked those changes up.

Would have thought these would be popular enough to leave on, even with guest presenters if needed. Instead they'd rather place more repeats of ITV shows like Trauma, Who's Doing The Dishes and Gino's Italian Escape in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Would have thought these would be popular enough to leave on, even with guest presenters if needed. Instead they'd rather place more repeats of ITV shows like Trauma, Who's Doing The Dishes and Gino's Italian Escape in instead.

The question is have they improved audiences from when they didn't air Ireland AM on a bank holiday in the past? If Ireland AM's BH episodes didn't improve or saw a decline in audience at the then you can see why they'd be happy enough with repeats.

A mess that seems to be working TBH.

Elmo wrote: »
    The question is have they improved audiences from when they didn't air Ireland AM on a bank holiday in the past? If Ireland AM's BH episodes didn't improve or saw a decline in audience at the then you can see why they'd be happy enough with repeats.

A mess that seems to be working TBH.

I feel it has more to do with This Morning. They have oftenly appeared in the Top 20 shows for VM1, and so the ratings for them remaining at 10.30, instead of moving it to 12pm, must be reason why.

Going from 7am-7am next Monday and Tue morning, there will be 4 episodes of Who's Doing The Dishes on VM1 and 2 episodes of it on VM3. Just can't understand with the range of programmes and specials they have available, that they rely on repeating the same series of shows again and again.

Going from 7am-7am next Monday and Tue morning, there will be 4 episodes of Who's Doing The Dishes on VM1 and 2 episodes of it on VM3. Just can't understand with the range of programmes and specials they have available, that they rely on repeating the same series of shows again and again.

I think the deal is limited with ITV. It seems like they've fallen into the same trap as UTV Ireland. Virgin Media should be looking to have simulcasts and while not all shows will have the same mass appeal in Ireland they should be given a place on either TWO or THREE, but perhaps under deal Drama is far more expensive as a simucast. But then how much of ITV is simucast? This Morning, Coro St and Emmerdale?

• Advertisement

ITV4 had horse racing today, have Virgin Media moved their coverage to VM SPORT?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭mike2084

ITV4 had horse racing today, have Virgin Media moved their coverage to VM SPORT?

No Virgin only have a contract to show about 50 days of ITV's racing output, which tends to be the more marquee festival meetings, I think ITV do about 95 days a year.

mike2084 wrote: »
    No Virgin only have a contract to show about 50 days of ITV's racing output, which tends to be the more marquee festival meetings, I think ITV do about 95 days a year.

Well they could get the other 45 events for SPORT

Was The Restaurant on earlier in the year?

Was The Restaurant on earlier in the year?

Yep, Series 12 was on from Feb to Apr this year.

This was that gameshow that was lauched by TV3 but never saw the light of day. But its become an international hit.

https://www.visionindependentproductions.com/portfolio/super-star-ding-dong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It was great to watch the Europa League highlights earlier on Virgin Media Sport. It would have been even better if it was this weeks games. Why bother rerunning highlights of a previous game week?

lertsnim wrote: »
    It was great to watch the Europa League highlights earlier on Virgin Media Sport. It would have been even better if it was this weeks games. Why bother rerunning highlights of a previous game week?

What’s VM SPORT’s schedule like?any idents?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Champions League
    Europa League
    Nations League.

In between, lots of repeats of the Champions League, Europa League, and Nations League.

That’s essentially it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 VCR repair man

VM2 (3e) is definitely no longer a youth channel, ballykissangle and Dickinsons real deal now on the channel

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Champions League
    Europa League
    Nations League.

In between, lots of repeats of the Champions League, Europa League, and Nations League.

That’s essentially it.

Plus the Nations League finishes in a few days time until the play offs are on in over 18 months time. Seems like no effort has been made to get any other type of sport onto the channel. They're reshowing this year's FormulaE, but that's it apart from repeats of CL and EL.

They will have the same rights to the European Qualifiers (ie all matches not involving the Republic of Ireland) as they did for the Nations League, to be as fair to them as I can be given the two deals this sports channel is running on.

icdg wrote: »
    They will have the same rights to the European Qualifiers (ie all matches not involving the Republic of Ireland) as they did for the Nations League, to be as fair to them as I can be given the two deals this sports channel is running on.

Oh I didn't know that. So RTE will have the ROI matches, with Virgin Media having the others?

Yes. Sky Sports will also have all matches except for England’s.

Incidentally England are live on VM One again today, I’m not sure if there’s any formal stipulation in the VM/UEFA contract that anything be free to air but a practice certainly seems to be developing of England’s games getting a FTA outing.

Changes to VM1's schedule next Tuesday.
    Looks like they've dropped the Champions League match of AEK Athens v Ajax which was meant to be shown at 17:45, replaced by the usual T6OCS, Emmerdale, the Cruise, Paul O'Grady shows. There is a Champions league highlights package on at 10:05 later that evening. No sign of live CL on VM2 or VM3 either that night

Will be interesting to see if there will be a live match on Wednesday. (I can only see up to 7 days in advance on most sites, with mydigiguide really bad recently so it's untrustworthy) PSG v Liverpool is the big match on the Wednesday night, and would sure to bring in great ratings if they indeed showed it on VM1. However, with Corrie, News, IAC on, I doubt they'll move them.

Will be interesting to see if there will be a live match on Wednesday. (I can only see up to 7 days in advance on most sites, with mydigiguide really bad recently so it's untrustworthy) PSG v Liverpool is the big match on the Wednesday night, and would sure to bring in great ratings if they indeed showed it on VM1. However, with Corrie, News, IAC on, I doubt they'll move them.

One of the good reasons to keep sport on VMT TWO as you don't disrupt normal schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Formula E is be shown on the BBC now through a new rights deal in the UK; but most of the races live coverage will be shown online on BBC iPlayer & connected red button. It also means that there will be no more exclusive coverage of Formula E on Channel 5 in the UK. 1 live race will be shown on 1 of the linear BBC channels. There will also be coverage on the linear BBC red button but I'm not sure if it will be highlights or pre-recorded coverage of those races. Does it mean that VM Sport could be the only legal way in Ireland to see all of the live Formula E races for the new season or are there other sports channels here that will show it?

Next Wednesdays schedule shows no changes to the schedule, which means no free to air live CL game on Virgin Media next week.

For Formula E, they have been showing repeats of the previous season just gone on VM Sport. So might give a presumption that it would return. Odd that BBC have paid money for it, and then is putting most of it behind the red button

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1121/1012407-rte-acquire-live-tv-rights-to-irelands-world-cup-games/

I think it will be difficult for Virgin and eir to reach agreements in the future. IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1121/1012407-rte-acquire-live-tv-rights-to-irelands-world-cup-games/

I think it will be difficult for Virgin and eir to reach agreements in the future. IMO.

Best news I've seen on this blog. Matches in HD with native commentary. Now if only they had the 6 nations back.

Advertisement