Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    I wonder if Virgin Media are able to reduce their costs on certain programmes.

Big Brothers Bit on the Side was dropped from VM3 as well with no real warning or reason, mid-way through a season, if they have the rights would they not just repeat it if the viewers were low on the channel.

started to write BE3, followed by UTV Ireland!

Didn't even notice that. What another odd decision. And again a repeat of Ireland AM is slotting in there, as they push Love Island and Elaine up an hour earlier. Are they having some sort of issues with live TV shows, with them dropping Loose Women as well? Although This Morning still remains.

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_3/status/1050058199880085512?s=19

Absolute awful reply. Scheduling changes? Such rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Has the current series of Living with Lucy finished? There's usually 6 episodes but this series only had 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

I really hope this shower go belly up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    I really hope this shower go belly up.

Why exactly? Just don't watch it.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Why exactly? Just don't watch it.

That's why I dislike them. I can't watch it even if I wanted.

Their Sport channels aren't available to every home in Ireland.

Has the current series of Living with Lucy finished? There's usually 6 episodes but this series only had 5

There were 10 episodes made/or still being made for this series. Looks like they're breaking it up two parts, so maybe the second part in November or the new year.

They've replaced it with a Trevor McDonald doc which they've shown numerous times. They also replaced Ireland's Biggest Prison which was scheduled for tonight with Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares again. Just some really odd scheduling going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    There were 10 episodes made/or still being made for this series. Looks like they're breaking it up two parts, so maybe the second part in November or the new year.

They've replaced it with a Trevor McDonald doc which they've shown numerous times. They also replaced Ireland's Biggest Prison which was scheduled for tonight with Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares again. Just some really odd scheduling going on.

Strange afaik those episode were due earlier in the year, could be wrong and they could replace it with either Red Rock or The Restaurant (both have were produced for last season)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

no highlights of the Ireland match on VM3 or Vm1. Its live on sky with highlights on VMSport......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Very surprised at that.

Firstly, I would have thought that FTA highlights was part of the contract.

Secondly, given they’re probably going to lose their Saturday night light entertainment audience anyway with their Heineken Cup highlights show, they might as well try and hold on to the Sport audience for another hour by following it with football highlights.

• Advertisement

no highlights of the Ireland match on VM3 or Vm1. Its live on sky with highlights on VMSport......

It's on VM2 at 11pm.

They have highlights of the Wales match on Tuesday at 10pm on VM1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It's on VM2 at 11pm.

thanks. didn't see that listed in my tv guide!

icdg wrote: »
    Firstly, I would have thought that FTA highlights was part of the contract.

I think that FTA rule is only for European & World Cup qualifiers.
    Hopefully when the proper Euro2020 qualifiers come around in March - they'll be back on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

A time may come when VM will get rid of Be3 altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    I think that FTA rule is only for European & World Cup qualifiers.
    Hopefully when the proper Euro2020 qualifiers come around in March - they'll be back on RTE.

And in HD

thanks. didn't see that listed in my tv guide!

Could have sworn that wasn’t there when I looked earlier..still think they are missing a trick by not scheduling it back to back with the Heineken Cup highlights on the same channel.

I didn’t mean to suggest, in case some posters misinterpreted me, that there was any legal obligation for there to be FTA highlights - quite clearly none such obligation pertains to the Nations League. More than UEFA may have sold the rights to VM with the understanding that there would be FTA highlights of ROI games - given they’ve already sold pay TV rights to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

VM may have been contractually obliged to broadcast the Champions League highlights at 10:15 on its main channel on Thursday night last week, i.e. shortly after the final whistle. But why didn't it broadcast the Tonight programme on VM2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's on VM2 at 11pm.

Tuesdays listed as highlights for 1 hour

But Saturdays looks like a full game replay, it's on for 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So on Saturday their Heineken Cup highlights are on at the same time as their delayed coverage of Ireland v Denmark? What clown is in charge of their scheduling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Will their rugby highlights include teams other than the Irish provinces?

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    So on Saturday their Heineken Cup highlights are on at the same time as their delayed coverage of Ireland v Denmark? What clown is in charge of their scheduling?

Looks like they've moved the Heineken Cup highlights to 10.50pm now, judging by their promos on Ireland AM this morning. Graham Norton has gone back into the 9.50pm slot.

Still doesn't make sense, and they should just place the Irish highlights at 9.50, and Rugby at 10.50. Graham Norton can go out on VM2 I'd necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Looks like they've moved the Heineken Cup highlights to 10.50pm now, judging by their promos on Ireland AM this morning. Graham Norton has gone back into the 9.50pm slot.

Still doesn't make sense, and they should just place the Irish highlights at 9.50, and Rugby at 10.50. Graham Norton can go out on VM2 I'd necessary.

really they need to decide what each channel does first.

Virgin Media one for news, current affairs and new Irish programming
    Virgin Media TWO for sport and US programming, move kids back to that channel, replace 10 news with Sports Tonight
    Virgin Media THREE for English Daytime TV, repeat and NEW ITV drama, Xpose and repeats of Daytime TV3 programming and ITV soaps and reality TV.

As much as possible simulcast with English TV Channels ITV and Channel 5. (But then we said this about UTV Ireland)

Interesting to see Rylan Clark-Neal (Host of BB BOTS) getting involved with fans of the show, asking VM3 why the series was dropped on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Rylan/status/1050117944229924865?s=19

The most oddest response from Virgin Media 3 then:

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_3/status/1050770303750684673?s=19

And

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_3/status/1050770366614913024?s=19

Baffling.

They have no idea what they're doing do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lertsnim wrote: »
    They have no idea what they're doing do they?

They're now showing highlights of the Ireland game from 10-11 on VM2. Followed by the full game replay from 11

The highlights wasn't listed yesterday

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They're now showing highlights of the Ireland game from 10-11 on VM2. Followed by the full game replay from 11

The highlights wasn't listed yesterday

That's a common enough thing with them. Waiting until the last minute to update EPGs.

Will their rugby highlights include teams other than the Irish provinces?

In the end they did, but only of the FTA match, Bath v Toulouse.

They also included (some) coverage of Connacht v Bordeaux in the European Challenge Cup, a competition which now has no live TV coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

There could be some low level sporting rights out there, like the Formula E they have had for the past 2 seasons.

Just looking at ITV and Channel 5's current rights, they could try for some of the following (taken from Wiki) (unsure whether these are on Eir Sport already):

Motorsport: British Touring Cars Championship, FIA World Rally Championships
    Boxing: World Boxing Super Series, Live bouts (that Channel 5 show)
    Snooker: Champion of Champions, World Grand Prix, Players Championship, World Snooker Shoot-Out
    Darts: UK Open, European Championship, The Masters ...

Even make a deal with Quest, and show the Championship and League 1 & 2 highlights package.
    Even something zany like The World's Strongest man competitions.

I know there's no big ticket items out there at the moment, but would be nice for them to fill out the schedule a bit and think outside the box. Although the way VM2 and VM3 have been scheduled since the relaunch - it'll be a lazy scheduling of reruns.

ITV4's darts is all on eirSport. The Snooker Shootout was on eir before, but just the once I think.

Best bet is to do a deal with Eleven Sport for some Serie A and La Liga, seeing as they currently don't have a TV distribution deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Crikey, I just watched last nights Don’t spook Back In Anger. It’s not great. It was a huge disappointment when compared to Reeling In The Years.

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Crikey, I just watched last nights Don’t spook Back In Anger. It’s not great. It was a huge disappointment when compared to Reeling In The Years.

The Haunted House part was odd. It was such a spectacular failure for the channel.

Advertisement