Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

News and all studio produced based programmes going into shut down mode after this Friday for 11 days.
    There will be mini 2 minute news updates at random times throughout the days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iseegirls wrote: »
    News and all studio produced based programmes going into shut down mode after this Friday for 11 days.
    There will be mini 2 minute news updates at random times throughout the days

I saw that alright. That’s crazy, it’s like we were on last year, let’s take this year off. They want to grow their news programmes, it should be on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

Maz2016 wrote: »
    I saw that alright. That’s crazy, it’s like we were on last year, let’s take this year off. They want to grow their news programmes, it should be on

They don't want to grow anything, just turn a buck. The whole thing could run on a timer from a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

A bit odd alright although to be fair they keep most of their studio productions going throughout the summer unlike RTE who do their annual summer shutdown.

If they replaced it with something worthwhile, then it wouldn't be too bad.

Over the 3 days of Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and St Stephens Day, VM1 have 8 episodes of Surprise Surprise on, and 10 episodes of The Chase.

Meanwhile VM2 have the 1940s film The Thief Of Baghdad on at midday on 26th and Carry On Doctor on 30th, where Scooby Doo 2 is running after it. Still can't grasp what target market they're going after with this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Ten years ago next Monday we said goodbye to an Irish institution forever.

This was the last ever video played.
    RIP Nightshift - a decade on and we still love you and miss you terribly.

An Irish institution?? Don't be so ridiculous.

An Irish institution?? Don't be so ridiculous.

A lot of Irish bands of the late 00s wouldn't be where they are today without it. It taught me more about music in two and a half years than X-Factor ever could in 14 years. It was a very important part of my life and I miss it like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

It's the repeats of repeats repeated over and over again. Every time I turn on the TV Ken and Me seems to be on one of the three channels. How many times is this on over the Christmas? Same with the movies its the same 4/5. Deck the Halls was on Christmas Eve. On again on Christmas Day. A few episodes of repeats of The Chase also on Christmas Day. It's pathetic really.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    It's the repeats of repeats repeated over and over again. Every time I turn on the TV Ken and Me seems to be on one of the three channels. How many times is this on over the Christmas? Same with the movies its the same 4/5. Deck the Halls was on Christmas Eve. On again on Christmas Day. A few episodes of repeats of The Chase also on Christmas Day. It's pathetic really.

They've shown just SIX Film Premieres all year across their 3 channels - The Perfect Guy, Man From UNCLE, Alvin And Chipmunks: Road Chip, The Call, Mad Date For Mary and My Name Is Emily.

They've shown Coronation Street: The Funny Side Of The Street (orig broadcast in 2006) 8 times on TV3/VM1 this year.

This stat shows how lazy they are and just relying on ITV Studios to fill up their 3 channels.

Today, on VM1: 6:10-9am ITV Studios, 10:30-15:10 ITV, 15:40- 21:00 ITV 00:15-1:45 ITV
    14 and a Half Hours of ITV Studio Programming

VM2: 7-10am ITV, 13:30-18:00 ITV, 20:00-21:00 ITV, 21:30-00:00 ITV, 2:00-4:00 ITV
    13 Hours of ITV Studio Programming

VM3:9am-20:00 ITV, 23:00-1:15 ITV
    13 Hours Of ITV Studio Programming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

They've shown just SIX Film Premieres all year across their 3 channels - The Perfect Guy, Man From UNCLE, Alvin And Chipmunks: Road Chip, The Call, Mad Date For Mary and My Name Is Emily.

They've shown Coronation Street: The Funny Side Of The Street (orig broadcast in 2006) 8 times on TV3/VM1 this year.

This stat shows how lazy they are and just relying on ITV Studios to fill up their 3 channels.

Today, on VM1: 6:10-9am ITV Studios, 10:30-15:10 ITV, 15:40- 21:00 ITV 00:15-1:45 ITV
    14 and a Half Hours of ITV Studio Programming

VM2: 7-10am ITV, 13:30-18:00 ITV, 20:00-21:00 ITV, 21:30-00:00 ITV, 2:00-4:00 ITV
    13 Hours of ITV Studio Programming

VM3:9am-20:00 ITV, 23:00-1:15 ITV
    13 Hours Of ITV Studio Programming

I have said this many times before. There is lots of good programming from Europe, documentaries history and science programming. If Virgin media were willing to pay for good programming. Have one dedicated channel to the ITV rubbish and other two to the good programming and go HD on Saorview.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    I have said this many times before. There is lots of good programming from Europe, documentaries history and science programming. If Virgin media were willing to pay for good programming. Have one dedicated channel to the ITV rubbish and other two to the good programming and go HD on Saorview.

They could air Donal Dineen's This Ain't No Disco where we once had Nightshift. People could watch it and think "errrrr moy god, loike, Fontaines DC ore, loike, soooooeauw awesome, roysh*?" Sadly, they don't seem to have any Nightshift tribute lined up for NYE, which is a shame.

*They are.

Have to admit VM is particularly bad this year, it’s shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Is Virgin Media News gone on holidays completely as I've not noticed any scheduled news broadcasts across: Virgin Media One, Virgin Media Two, Virgin Media Three over the past few days. I recognise that Christmas/New Year is usually a slower news period which would lead to reduced news coverage but I see no news updates in the afternoons/evenings on any of their channels!

Many services like banks came back by today. In Britain, ITV as a commercial tv network would have some token news coverage during such periods. There should be at least one evening news bulletin (albeit shorter in duration) from Virgin Media Television now that they have 4 television channels operating if you factor in Virgin Media Sport on cable tv. After UTV Ireland was bought by TV3 Group and converted to be3, we saw a return to weekend news bulletins on TV3 (now Virgin Media One) on Sat/Sun after a long absence. I cannot understand how they are allowed to take such a long break.

One would have thought that there would have been strict rules & regulations surrounding this issue in the commercial independent television sector in return for having the privilege of enjoying prominent channel positions on digital platforms such as Sky Ireland, Saorview etc;

Ditching all news from the prime-time tv schedules across all of the Virgin Media Television suite of channels during the Christmas holiday period is very lazy and does little to enhance Virgin Media Television's image.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Awaityourreply as you know TV3/VM News is always broadcast as usual on St Stephens’s Day now please stop with the fake news :)

No sign of Red Rock returning in the 1st week of 2019!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Lets just say Virgin Media 1,2 and 3 closed down tonight and were replaced with Itv1 2 and 4, I bet nobody would be complaining.

mikeym wrote: »
    Lets just say Virgin Media 1,2 and 3 closed down tonight and were replaced with Itv1 2 and 4, I bet nobody would be complaining.

But what if they were replaced by ITV, ITV3 +1, ITVbe and ITVbe +1... nobody would notice!

Does Virgin Media Television know there is a wealth of great Irish bands out there, who can't get TV Xposure (pardon the pun)?

Me: "Hey Glenda, I think you should interview Fontaines DC for your show in 2019, I'd consider watching it for once"
    Glenda: "Errrmagawwd, who the fock are they loike? Some goys from the capital of Amurrica?"
    Me: "No, they're a rock and roll band from Dublin and they're VERY good"
    Karen: "Yaw, loike woshever. Geeaauww somewhurr else with your focking lame indie bands! (laughs)"
    (I walk away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

lgs 4 wrote: »

Why the **** would they bother raising their game when they can do sweet FA and make money. Virgin Ireland are the dregs of broadcasting.

Why the **** would they bother raising their game when they can do sweet FA and make money. Virgin Ireland are the dregs of broadcasting.

Profit over people!

• Advertisement

They could air Donal Dineen's This Ain't No Disco where we once had Nightshift. People could watch it and think "errrrr moy god, loike, Fontaines DC ore, loike, soooooeauw awesome, roysh*?" Sadly, they don't seem to have any Nightshift tribute lined up for NYE, which is a shame.

*They are.

You'll have to get over this. Night Shift was not a TV3 production. It was part of Channel 6 which as a channel failed badly. When it became 3e, all Channel 6 orig programming went. TV3 have had no interest in music since Music Cubed way back in the early 00s.

Elmo wrote: »
    Awaityourreply as you know TV3/VM News is always broadcast as usual on St Stephens’s Day now please stop with the fake news :)

No sign of Red Rock returning in the 1st week of 2019!!

I know silly me - What was I thinking as Virgin Media Television (ex-TV3 Group) would never take the EaZy way out! :D It really hits home when the likes of a commercial broadcaster like ITV are probably still required to broadcast a minimum amount of news output at this time of year as otherwise I could not see them doing it voluntarily given their commercial purpose.

I think I am more annoyed at our low standards of regulation here in Ireland as Virgin Media Television should not be allowed to drop all news coverage just because it's a Christmas/New Year extended holiday period and the Dáil is in recess. Of course I appreciate there will be less demand which may result in fewer and shorter bulletins but not zero coverage altogether until 2019! Even Saturday AM and Sunday AM has been replaced by "The Best of Weekend AM" which ensures no news bulletins during these mornings also. I thought things might change for the better once Virgin Media Television took over as I know TV3 Group had struggled financially due to the drop-off in commercial advertising following the downturn in the economy around 10 years ago which went on for a number of years.

Not sure if there was any firm announcements in relation to the return of RedRock as I understood the props used had been put up for sale some time ago and I'm not sure if the original set location used in RedRock was going to be an issue too if they ever planned on continuing with filming into the future. TV3 Group only commissioned it because the now defunct UTV Ireland had acquired the rights to broadcast the likes of Coronation Street & Emmerdale from 2015-2017 if memory serves me correct.

10 or so more episode of red rock yet to be broadcast

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Have to admit VM is particularly bad this year, it’s shocking

Well said. Totally agree with you on this one!

I happen to watch Coronation Street but the amount of old repeat material associated with the show and it's characters that is currently saturating Virgin Media One, Virgin Media Two, Virgin Media Three tv schedules over the Christmas holidays is now actually quite embarrassing and I'm saying this as a regular viewer of the show!

If it's not Corrie or Emmerdale it's The Chase which is another show I used enjoy but now it's on all the time on so many channels. There comes a point where Virgin Media Television are in serious danger of destroying their most valuable imported programmes if they continue with the over-exposure.

Whoever devised the 2018 Christmas TV schedules for Virgin Media One, Virgin Media Two and Virgin Media Three should never be allowed to repeat this again as it was boring beyond belief and it completely lacked any imagination as far as I am concerned. Not really sure why disgusted viewers would be so inclined to tune in to Virgin Media Television channels again in 2019 after this insulting choice that was served up to them over & over again. Virgin Media Television had a captive audience and I think they blew it as people with cable/satellite/Netflix subscriptions etc; do not have to remain loyal to Virgin Media Television unlike people did way back when RTÉ once had a monopoly all those years ago.

10 or so more episode of red rock yet to be broadcast

People will probably have lost all interest in RedRock if Virgin Media Television holds out from broadcasting it for much longer as most viewers will know it's already come to an end.

You'll have to get over this. Night Shift was not a TV3 production. It was part of Channel 6 which as a channel failed badly. When it became 3e, all Channel 6 orig programming went. TV3 have had no interest in music since Music Cubed way back in the early 00s.
    Still - give me Future Islands over Love Island anyday. :-)

People will probably have lost all interest in RedRock if Virgin Media Television holds out from broadcasting it for much longer as most viewers will know it's already come to an end.

Well Virgin Media are holding of but who knows when.

Things to expect in 2019 from VM

1. IGT, Living with Lucy and Gogglebox (maybe The Restaurant)
    2. Perhaps a big Irish Drama
    3. Sports 6 nations with UEFA being push to the pay sports service

They’ve no news or sports website!!!

Well Virgin Media are holding of but who knows when.

Things to expect in 2019 from VM

1. IGT, Living with Lucy and Gogglebox (maybe The Restaurant)
    2. Perhaps a big Irish Drama
    3. Sports 6 nations with UEFA being push to the pay sports service

They’ve no news or sports website!!!

Pat Kenny's Big Debate will probably feature with BREXIT and maybe even an Irish General Election if Leo decides to go to the country which could happen during 2019 as he has publicly hinted in recent days that it could still happen despite a renewal of the Confidence & Supply Agreement with Fianna Fáil.

I'm surprised they never had a news or sports website especially after investing in their news studio and creating a dedicated Virgin Media Sport channel on their Virgin Media cable tv service. I cannot stand the Virgin Media Television news studio and the main presenters are not impressive. Such a pity that former news presenter on UTV Ireland Alison Comyn lost out when that channel folded as she had great presence/authority in her delivery of news on screen in my view. Paul Colgan economics correspondent would also be impressive performing in an anchor presenter role.

There is nothing bold and new coming out of Virgin Media Television as these shows have all aired before. They are too reliant on mainly itv imports from X-Factor to Corrie, Emmerdale to Love Island, This Morning, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here etc; Unless ITV opens their wallet to commission new programme concepts, then it's seems highly unlikely VM will follow suit. Given the slowdown in things across the water, it probably won't happen during first quarter of 2019 anyway.

Pat Kenny's Big Debate will probably feature with BREXIT and maybe even an Irish General Election if Leo decides to go to the country which could happen during 2019 as he has publicly hinted in recent days that it could still happen despite a renewal of the Confidence & Supply Agreement with Fianna Fáil.

I'm surprised they never had a news or sports website especially after investing in their news studio and creating a dedicated Virgin Media Sport channel on their Virgin Media cable tv service. I cannot stand the Virgin Media Television news studio and the main presenters are not impressive. Such a pity that former news presenter on UTV Ireland Alison Comyn lost out when that channel folded as she had great presence/authority in her delivery of news on screen in my view. Paul Colgan economics correspondent would also be impressive performing in an anchor presenter role.

There is nothing bold and new coming out of Virgin Media Television as these shows have all aired before. They are too reliant on mainly itv imports from X-Factor to Corrie, Emmerdale to Love Island, This Morning, I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here etc; Unless ITV opens their wallet to commission new programme concepts, then it's seems highly unlikely VM will follow suit. Given the slowdown in things across the water, it probably won't happen during first quarter of 2019 anyway.

I don’t mind the presenters on their news, I actually like their news , it’s different. I agree with your comment about Alison Comyn, she was excellent and is a loss. Paul is good too and I also like Rory Carroll.
    VM1, VM2 and VM3 is basically ITV’s main channel recycled over 3 channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Aaaand they've suddenly changed listings. The Chase The Bloopers is gone

Advertisement