Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might leave the RTE talk to an appropriate thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

icdg wrote: »
    We might leave the RTE talk to an appropriate thread

Fair enough. Last 20 posts, non VM references, excluding quote and link text.

BBC. 3
    ITV. 3
    SKY. 1
    CH5. 1
    RTE. 1

Do I detect bias?

If you’re accusing me of it, you can take that discussion off thread or a ban will ensue. I don’t work in the broadcasting industry, I don’t have any friends who work in it and I have no bias towards or against anyone.

Incidentally ITV is fair game to discuss here; because Virgin Media TV are practically an affiliate of ITV in all but name.

If you’re accusing me of it, you can take that discussion off thread or a ban will ensue. I don’t work in the broadcasting industry, I don’t have any friends who work in it and I have no bias towards or against anyone.

Incidentally ITV is fair game to discuss here; because Virgin Media TV are practically an affiliate of ITV in all but name.

I'm not accusing you of anything, it just seemed statistically odd. And you don't have to raise your voice, I think you're great. We all do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Changes to VM1's schedule next Tuesday.
    Looks like they've dropped the Champions League match of AEK Athens v Ajax which was meant to be shown at 17:45, replaced by the usual T6OCS, Emmerdale, the Cruise, Paul O'Grady shows. There is a Champions league highlights package on at 10:05 later that evening. No sign of live CL on VM2 or VM3 either that night

Will be interesting to see if there will be a live match on Wednesday. (I can only see up to 7 days in advance on most sites, with mydigiguide really bad recently so it's untrustworthy) PSG v Liverpool is the big match on the Wednesday night, and would sure to bring in great ratings if they indeed showed it on VM1. However, with Corrie, News, IAC on, I doubt they'll move them.

did they show any on any of the FTA channels in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Nope, making that probably the first time since Champions League started on a Tuesday and Wednesday nights that only one game will be shown live free to air on a gameweek (apart from a final of course) in Ireland.

Nope, making that probably the first time since Champions League started on a Tuesday and Wednesday nights that only one game will be shown live free to air on a gameweek (apart from a final of course) in Ireland.
    Even more reason to forget about vm.

Wonder why they bother with showing the same match as RTE2 on Virgin Media Sport. Niall Quinn, Brian Kerr must know that they're being watched by probably 1-5% while the rest watch RTE2. Would love to see some sort of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Probably so they can say they are showing every game.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Probably so they can say they are showing every game.
    Its a sign of the times when we casually equate a wired point to point network subscription media stream with a broadcast tv channel. VM sport has nothing in common with VM1-3 except the letters vm. You might as well compare the radio to the telephone.
    As for showing every game, as of this week VM TELEVISION is showing f*** all games. Period. VM do not show football on TV, despite what their ads imply. Now VM do have a completely different business, an internet media streaming service, but it's not TV. Its important to make this distinction, as it demarcates the line of contempt in which VM holds it's ad revenue generating broadcast TV customers. You are still paying customers, you watch TV, you view endless ads, and you go out and buy the goods from companies who pass a good margin of your payment on to VM. Thats how it works, and the maths of the transactions is an exact science. But you, the customer, are getting next to shag all. VM want you to pay twice. Best idea is not to pay even once.

• Advertisement

It is funny Virgin Media have made a really bad job of the rebrand

Is it VM, Virgin Media Television, VMT or Virgin? I have seen it refered to all accross all channels, and a few Radio presenters said "TV3" followed by "Virgin Media One or what ever its called nowadays".

I also notice that Newstalk's Off The Ball only list Virgin Media Sport for UEFA.

And yes
    Its a sign of the times when we casually equate a wired point to point network subscription media stream with a broadcast tv channel. VM sport has nothing in common with VM1-3 except the letters vm.

Virgin Media one, TWO, THREE are an ad for Virgin Media while Virgin Media Sport is most like controlled by Virgin's Cable business.

I would call it Virgin Media One etc.. Virgin Media Television One is just too long winded.

There seems to be zero press releases done anymore. The schedule is still as awful and as reliant as ever before on ITV Studios programming. They've done away with the sometimes youthful 3e and replaced it with a clone of Be3.

Why couldn't they change VM3 into something seasonal like Virgin Media Christmas Three for December. Think outside the box. Snap up all those straight to DVD Xmas movies that do quite well on Channel 5, music videos, Christmas TV specials, and have a channel that creates some sort of buzz.

No free to air CL football tonight I notice on the VM channels. Is this the first night ever that everything is behind a paywall in both Ireland & the UK? TV3/Virgin really pulled a fast one when they landed these rights last May and THEN announce this 'sports' channel thats stuffed with repeats (just like their main channels really).

I would call it Virgin Media One etc.. Virgin Media Television One is just too long winded.

Hashtag Tonight VMT but at VirginMedia_One while on screen Virgin Media one!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

No free to air CL football tonight I notice on the VM channels. Is this the first night ever that everything is behind a paywall in both Ireland & the UK? TV3/Virgin really pulled a fast one when they landed these rights last May and THEN announce this 'sports' channel thats stuffed with repeats (just like their main channels really).

No because the United Young Boys game was on RTÉ2.

deezell wrote: »
    Its a sign of the times when we casually equate a wired point to point network subscription media stream with a broadcast tv channel. VM sport has nothing in common with VM1-3 except the letters vm. You might as well compare the radio to the telephone.
    As for showing every game, as of this week VM TELEVISION is showing f*** all games. Period. VM do not show football on TV, despite what their ads imply.

You may as well be saying Sky Sports isn't a television channel so. Virgin Media Sport do have actual television channels. They might not be on any pay systems except their own but they do exist.

To be fair to them the brand names are clear: “Virgin Media Television”, “Virgin Media One”, “Virgin Media Two”, “Virgin Media Three”, and “Virgin Media Sport”.

Other versions (“VMI”, “VMT”, “VM1” etc) are largely the invention of us on forums or by newspapers and are never used on air. Yes there are shorter names on EPGs because of technical limitations of the various platforms.

To be fair to them the brand names are clear: “Virgin Media Television”, “Virgin Media One”, “Virgin Media Two”, “Virgin Media Three”, and “Virgin Media Sport”.

Other versions (“VMI”, “VMT”, “VM1” etc) are largely the invention of us on forums or by newspapers and are never used on air. Yes there are shorter names on EPGs because of technical limitations of the various platforms.

If people are unsure what your service is called you've not carried out your re-brand correctly. When one of your main shows says uses @tonightVMT

And its stylized

“Virgin Media one”, “Virgin Media TWO”, “Virgin Media THREE”, and “Virgin Media SPORT”

Though we assume Virgin Media 1 is acceptable? It's all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Elmo wrote: »
    If people are unsure what your service is called you've not carried out your re-brand correctly. When one of your main shows says uses @tonightVMT

And its stylized

“Virgin Media one”, “Virgin Media TWO”, “Virgin Media THREE”, and “Virgin Media SPORT”

Though we assume Virgin Media 1 is acceptable? It's all over the place.

Also, I notice that people are still referring to the channel as TV3, so doesn't seem to have taken hold yet.

An Tarbh wrote: »
    No because the United Young Boys game was on RTÉ2.

Showed a Wednesday game at 6pm FTA up to now I think?

• Advertisement

Showed a Wednesday game at 6pm FTA up to now I think?

There has been no Wednesday games FTA this season. Only Tuesdays.

Tuesday 5:55pm game was live on Virgin Media One during match days 1-4

Maybe they thought that with the choices being AEK-Ajax and CSKA-Pilsen, none of which have much of a following here, that nobody would notice? (nor is there anything appitising in the Tuesday 5:55pm slot in matchday 6, incidentally!).

lertsnim wrote: »
    There has been no Wednesday games FTA this season. Only Tuesdays.

Sorry, my bad. Was a Tuesday. Mixing my days up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why wait for the highlights when you can watch the Champions League on the App for just €20 a month.

Thing is nobody wants to pay that extortionate amount for midweek matches.

If Virgin Media could make a buck out of putting some entertainment programmes behind a paywall I think they could be greedy enough to do it the way things are going, they didnt show a FTA Champions League match last Tuesday which was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JMcGee

Can someone tell me if Virgin are showing any of the Irish provinces Heineken Cup games this weekend? The only game I see on their TV guide is Lyon vs Glasgow Warriors which seems like a bizarre choice.

JMcGee wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if Virgin are showing any of the Irish provinces Heineken Cup games this weekend? The only game I see on their TV guide is Lyon vs Glasgow Warriors which seems like a bizarre choice.

They're only showing the 1pm Saturday games - which are the exact same as Channel 4. So there will be and have been games where no Irish province will part of their live game.

Going back to Formula E from an earlier post, VM Sports have been showing previews for the new season which starts in a week. So we take it they'll be showing the new season along with BBC Red Button.

JMcGee wrote: »

BT sport have all the Irish matches. Only FTA match is Exeter- Gloucester on Ch4.

Interesting that they are now down to show Glasgow v Lyon though - they were previously announced as showing all the same matches C4 were (and indeed the EPCR website still has the down for Exeter v Gloucester.

Wonder if that means they can switch to the other game in the 1pm window if they think it’ll have more Irish interest?

Interesting that they are now down to show Glasgow v Lyon though - they were previously announced as showing all the same matches C4 were (and indeed the EPCR website still has the down for Exeter v Gloucester.

Wonder if that means they can switch to the other game in the 1pm window if they think it’ll have more Irish interest?

Are they show any of the matches on VM Sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Quest HD have acquired rights to show 2 or 3 Formula E events. BBC red button has some too plus highlights.

Advertisement