Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sports listings updated finally. They'll be showing Formula E highlights on Sunday - first non soccer event on the channel. Lots of nations league matches, even some Champions League matches from last year (Bayern v Real Madrid was at 9am). I guess it just has to do until more rights come in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I am not convinced that there will be more rights “coming in” as you put it. What rights would you anticipate they’ll go for that aren’t with someone else?

icdg wrote: »
    I am not convinced that there will be more rights “coming in” as you put it. What rights would you anticipate they’ll go for that aren’t with someone else?

There could be some low level sporting rights out there, like the Formula E they have had for the past 2 seasons.

Just looking at ITV and Channel 5's current rights, they could try for some of the following (taken from Wiki) (unsure whether these are on Eir Sport already):

Motorsport: British Touring Cars Championship, FIA World Rally Championships
    Boxing: World Boxing Super Series, Live bouts (that Channel 5 show)
    Snooker: Champion of Champions, World Grand Prix, Players Championship, World Snooker Shoot-Out
    Darts: UK Open, European Championship, The Masters ...

Even make a deal with Quest, and show the Championship and League 1 & 2 highlights package.
    Even something zany like The World's Strongest man competitions.

I know there's no big ticket items out there at the moment, but would be nice for them to fill out the schedule a bit and think outside the box. Although the way VM2 and VM3 have been scheduled since the relaunch - it'll be a lazy scheduling of reruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

@icdg

Do you know if a SD channel is carrying a HD DOG, are they breaking any rules etc.

On Virgin Media SD & HD boxes, the following SD channels are carrying a HD DOG

106 Virgin Media Three - On Saorview and Sky correct DOG is present
    116 & 400 Virgin Media Sport
    451-56 VM Sport Extra 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

This must be about the fourth time this set of Chase episodes have been repeated!

• Advertisement

@icdg

Do you know if a SD channel is carrying a HD DOG, are they breaking any rules etc.

On Virgin Media SD & HD boxes, the following SD channels are carrying a HD DOG

106 Virgin Media Three - On Saorview and Sky correct DOG is present
    116 & 400 Virgin Media Sport
    451-56 VM Sport Extra 1-6

Good question. If you’re asking that there are specific rules regarding the use of the term “HD” in a channel identification, then I would say no. But you could regard as false advertising.

But before we go down that path - you do know that on Horizon boxes, 106 is Virgin Media Three HD, yes? Ditto for the other channels you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No HD logo on those SD channels on the box I was using half an hour ago. It's a non Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Virgin Media One logo looks very similar to the BBC One logo. Same colour as well - red.

Good question. If you’re asking that there are specific rules regarding the use of the term “HD” in a channel identification, then I would say no. But you could regard as false advertising.

But before we go down that path - you do know that on Horizon boxes, 106 is Virgin Media Three HD, yes? Ditto for the other channels you mentioned.

I can't be certain as I don't have the Horizon box but I would presume all VM HD channels are 103, 105 and 106

Also the feed of Virgin Media Three on their Analogue service has the HD logo

lertsnim wrote: »
    No HD logo on those SD channels on the box I was using half an hour ago. It's a non Horizon box.

Just checked again at 10pm and on my UPC branded CISCO HD DVR 8685 the SD channels mentioned above still have the HD logo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

VM1 had Champions League highlights on tonight instead of the Tonight programme, which had previously been dropped on some Monday nights a decade ago to make way for The Apprentice:You're Fired because, on those Monday nights, The Apprentice itself was on later than usual because of I'm A Celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

any idea of the ratings for Virgin sport and VM1 now that they have no champions league on Wednesdays or rte2 for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

any idea of the ratings for Virgin sport and VM1 now that they have no champions league on Wednesdays or rte2 for that matter.

I would love to know this too, I know absolutely nobody who signed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No sign of VM Sport on Medialive I’d expect that VM signed up to measure the channel, so we might see it part of TAM Ireland’s monthly figures but that’s only 10days out of 30

VM one had 120k for inter v totten with RTÉ 2 having 287 for Liverpool v psg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭deezell

irishfeen wrote: »
    I would love to know this too, I know absolutely nobody who signed up..

I'd expect they're looking at the drop in their ad revenue for VM1 on Wednesday, and figuring if in the long term the online service will cover the loss. They bid crazy money for the rights too, so right now I'd say its a huge loss maker. Businesses like these play the longish game though, don't expect them to blink anytime soon.

VM1 had Champions League highlights on tonight instead of the Tonight programme, which had previously been dropped on some Monday nights a decade ago to make way for The Apprentice:You're Fired because, on those Monday nights, The Apprentice itself was on later than usual because of I'm A Celebrity.

Crikey, you're back a long way to reference when a nightly show has been dropped. In fairness, they moved You're Fired to 3e for some of those nights for the odd series. But they did drop some editions of it alright

Tonight With VB was dropped a good few Wednesday's when his 2 hour debate show was on, and when Pat Kenny started, his Wednesday show was dropped for a while, before being reinstated.

This must be about the fourth time this set of Chase episodes have been repeated!

We're back again on Series 9 for the runs again according to listings.
    VM1 - 13:00 Series 9 Ep 115
    VM1 - 14:00 Series 9 Ep 4
    VM2 - 18:00 Series 9 Ep 102
    VM2 - 19:00 Series 9 Ep 19

The entire series 9 of 190 episodes has been shown 5 times in 20 months already. If they keep going with the above runs, it would be 9 runs of the same series in over 2 years. It's absolutely ridiculous.

They've started S10 and S11, but have now gone back to S9 again before those runs completed

The other things to note about September Audience for Virgin media are

1. 8pm news had 93k Monday to Friday
    2. Virgin media 2 did well with reality tv
    3. Virgin media 3 did well with sport

Wow just watched Don’t Look Back In Anger it was all over the place, music blaring the whole way through, cut from one news story to the next. It was as if the producers had never seen Reeling In The Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Elmo wrote: »
    Wow just watched Don’t Look Back In Anger it was all over the place, music blaring the whole way through, cut from one news story to the next. It was as if the producers had never seen Reeling In The Years.

im still yet to watch this - got it on series link on the sky box. must get round to watching it

• Advertisement

Really badly edited. Reeling In The Years is amazing in comparison.

On another note, Ireland AM repeats are back. The 7am-8am hour is repeated on VM2 at 12:30pm. No more Loose Women - which is a strange decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It looks like they gave some poor interns the job of trawling through archive TV3 news footage. Terrible stuff.

iseegirls wrote: »
    On another note, Ireland AM repeats are back. The 7am-8am hour is repeated on VM2 at 12:30pm. No more Loose Women - which is a strange decision.

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_Two/status/1047789554047094785?s=19

What an odd way to respond to a user to why a series has stopped on the channel. They've stated in other tweets that Loose Women is taking a break and will be back In January. Still no logic to this, and showing an Ireland AM repeat in the same slot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bizarre that a live programme is taking a break while it is still showing live in the UK.

Very strange that they want to call you to offer an explanation.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Bizarre that a live programme is taking a break while it is still showing live in the UK.

Very strange that they want to call you to offer an explanation.

It's not me by the way, there's just plenty of tweets asking VM for an explanation, with nothing being replied too. I'm sure Virgin Media Ireland are now taking on all those TV related questions since they renamed the channels, which prob means more work for them. Albeit, they should have known that.

Meanwhile The Snapper is on VM1 on Sunday night at 9pm. No doubt we'll see it three or four times over the Christmas period.

A heads up that Croatia v England is scheduled to air on Virgin Three on Friday night - presumably the rest of the UEFA Nations League matchday 3 fixtures are on VM Sport (if only they published advanced schedules somewhere...)

iseegirls wrote: »

What an odd way to respond to a user to why a series has stopped on the channel. They've stated in other tweets that Loose Women is taking a break and will be back In January. Still no logic to this, and showing an Ireland AM repeat in the same slot

Unfortunately he’s now a paying customer of Virgin Media doesn’t realize that Virgin Media Television are there FTA arm and even as a paying customer he has no rights, other than to complain, it’s definitely a problem after all the cust care prob knows nothing about VMT schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

A heads up that Croatia v England is scheduled to air on Virgin Three on Friday night - presumably the rest of the UEFA Nations League matchday 3 fixtures are on VM Sport (if only they published advanced schedules somewhere...)

There's a schedule on the Virgin TV Guide.

They also send out a schedule to media organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

VM Sport has now been added to the RTE Guide sports channel pages.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Virgin Media are able to reduce their costs on certain programmes.

Big Brothers Bit on the Side was dropped from VM3 as well with no real warning or reason, mid-way through a season, if they have the rights would they not just repeat it if the viewers were low on the channel.

started to write BE3, followed by UTV Ireland!

Advertisement