Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bucket list - sure you're only 40, madam. What's the rush? :)

Your 5k PB is faster than mine when I did my first DCM in 2012. And you're much younger :)

Your goal time is all about what you want to achieve. Completing a marathon is not hard - all you have to do is run the miles and follow the plan. (Admittedly it IS hard to do all that, but if you make the time, and do the miles...)

Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Hi,

Did 13 miles yesterday with NotTooFast, we ran an average pace of 9.40 overall, some faster miles, some slower. Once we hit 9 miles we could both feel the burn in our legs. I was a bit surprised because of the slower pace. Is it a result of the increased miles in the last few weeks, running on tired legs? Yesterday's pace felt comfortable, it was just the legs that were giving out towards the end, does this still mean we were running it too fast? Next week we were hoping for 15 miles but after yesterday thinking we'll stick with 13 for another week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Would you not go to 14 miles rather than jumping to 15? Or as you say 13 again, either way you are well ahead of schedule.

What is your normal easy pace? Planned marathon pace? The long run should feel VERY slow. The point is to build up the miles, and better to run them too slow than too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi again
    Yes as you're not a total beginner and would be up to half marathon distance by the beginning of August, you could jump into the HH plan no problem. The long run is only up to 12 miles by the second week of August and you'll be up to half marathon distance already by then. As long as you're running around 20 miles per week total mileage by then, I can't see any reason why you can't go for the full if that's what you want to do. You'd be just as up to speed with most here at that stage.
    You would want to take a very easy week after your half marathon race though but when the time comes we can advise you about safely jumping back into the plan for the full so you'll avoid injury/overdoing it.
    Good luck!

Great thanks a lot much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

adrian522 wrote: »
    Would you not go to 14 miles rather than jumping to 15? Or as you say 13 again, either way you are well ahead of schedule.

What is your normal easy pace? Planned marathon pace? The long run should feel VERY slow. The point is to build up the miles, and better to run them too slow than too fast.

I would say that was my normal easy pace, I haven't really set a marathon pace. I wouldn't say yesterday was very slow so maybe your right, try slow it down next week and see how it goes. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I would say that was my normal easy pace, I haven't really set a marathon pace. I wouldn't say yesterday was very slow so maybe your right, try slow it down next week and see how it goes. Thanks :)
    The two of you should be able to chat easily enough as you go along so keep it very comfortable.
    It's normal enough for your legs to get tired if you're new to these distances and that amount of time on your feet. Nice running though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Decent tempo session with the club yesterday, although I'm feeling it now. I need to work somewhere with fewer stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ditto vitani, tough tempo session at the club last night, couldn't complete the last lap as legs were ceasing up, my pace is much slower than the others so when the coach says 'go out at your HM pace' I end up doing closer to my 5K pace to avoid being left behind even more than usual! I can't sustain that though so I think when marathon training starts I will only do one club session a week. Always feel great afterwards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Firedance wrote: »
    ditto vitani, tough tempo session at the club last night, couldn't complete the last lap as legs were ceasing up, my pace is much slower than the others so when the coach says 'go out at your HM pace' I end up doing closer to my 5K pace to avoid being left behind even more than usual! I can't sustain that though so I think when marathon training starts I will only do one club session a week. Always feel great afterwards though.

It's a small world. I'm fairly sure we were at the same session! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

frash wrote: »
    DOMS??

But don't worry.....it'll be worth it! :D

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    It's a small world. I'm fairly sure we were at the same session! :pac:
    ha ha that's mad :-) small world indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Murph_D wrote: »
    Bucket list - sure you're only 40, madam. What's the rush? :)

Your 5k PB is faster than mine when I did my first DCM in 2012. And you're much younger :)

Your goal time is all about what you want to achieve. Completing a marathon is not hard - all you have to do is run the miles and follow the plan. (Admittedly it IS hard to do all that, but if you make the time, and do the miles...)

Best of luck with the training.

Thank you! I have to admit finding the time to run all the planned miles is going to be hard but it will be well worth it, I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Unfortunately I believe I have the inglorious honour of being the first boardsie to have to drop out of this for 2014 through injury. Got my back injury checked out by a doc and its a herniated disk and trapped nerve.

12 weeks out or so :(

slingerz wrote: »
    Unfortunately I believe I have the inglorious honour of being the first boardsie to have to drop out of this for 2014 through injury. Got my back injury checked out by a doc and its a herniated disk and trapped nerve.

So so sorry to hear that. Not much anyone can say as I know you must be devastated. Just look to the future and set yourself another target for autumn and I hope you can do some other fun activity to keep yourself sane. Keep in touch with your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

That's so unfortunate slingerz! Hopefully you'll make a full recovery

Sorry to hear that - I have experience of this kind of injury myself. I wouldn't give up totally yet though - I was able to get back running after six weeks or so. Have you had an MRI? Been to good physio?

Sorry to hear that - I have experience of this kind of injury myself. I wouldn't give up totally yet though - I was able to get back running after six weeks or so. Have you had an MRI? Been to good physio?

Not had an MRI and unfortunately i cant have one due to some metal pins that already exist within my leg. I've been to numerous physios over the years as I have always suffered from back pain previously. I also wouldnt have the best of base fitnesses to work with so my road back to running would be a slower process than most regretably

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Consider swimming when able, you can get in the pool before you're fit enough to get running and it is a super way to keep/get fit and with lots of time to DCM14 not all might be lost yet. Never say never! I'm at the tail end of a similar injury suffered in January and was in the pool 2 weeks later.

Consider swimming when able, you can get in the pool before you're fit enough to get running and it is a super way to keep/get fit and with lots of time to DCM14 not all might be lost yet. Never say never! I'm at the tail end of a similar injury suffered in January and was in the pool 2 weeks later.

Cheers for that hadnt thought of the pool actually a couple of visits a week should help keep some fitness going anyway

so sorry to hear that slingerz :( hope you make a full recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Hi. This is a great thread and I've heard alot about it from other fellow runners! I plan on running DCM too for the first time in October but I've joined a club so I think I'll be following their own plan. At the moment we're following a plan in trying to improve our 5km and 10km times and will be doing so for another 3-4 weeks before we start concentrating on the Marathon plan. The one thing that I am missing on though, is proper advice on stretching and strenghtening specifically for runners. I feel that the more I am running the more my upper body and core need to strenghten up so as to prevent serious injury. Does anybody have any good links/advice they can give me as I want to avoid the risk of injuring myself as much as possible in the lead up to October? Somebody has suggested Pilates? I am a member of the gym too but I find the staff there pretty clueless when it comes to making out a plan for me. At the moment I am up to 20-25 miles per week and I can all ready feel little niggles in my lower back so nerves are starting to set in all ready which I don't want obviously! I guess I need something to supplement/compliment my running plan? Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

locombia wrote: »
    Somebody has suggested Pilates? I am a member of the gym too but I find the staff there pretty clueless when it comes to making out a plan for me. At the moment I am up to 20-25 miles per week and I can all ready feel little niggles in my lower back so nerves are starting to set in all ready which I don't want obviously! I guess I need something to supplement/compliment my running plan? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Pilates/yoga would be very beneficial and be a great compliment to running (any distance).
    For core work/strength work - its important, but don't over do it initially or you'll be constantly sore in the early weeks.
    I think a general body workout a couple of times a week (at most) would be sufficient and then as you come to see weaknesses, adding in any specific workouts to target these e.g. doing 'Superman' workouts for lower back / calf raises for calfs/knees etc.
    Hopefully though, you dont see any weaknesses!

I wouldn't be one for giving specific advice on certain programmes/links etc - theres many many out there but I'd be against advocating one over the other as its not my area or expertise and different people target different aspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I'm afriad for all of us at this stage :pac:

locombia wrote: »
    The one thing that I am missing on though, is proper advice on stretching and strenghtening specifically for runners. I feel that the more I am running the more my upper body and core need to strenghten up so as to prevent serious injury. Does anybody have any good links/advice they can give me as I want to avoid the risk of injuring myself as much as possible in the lead up to October? Somebody has suggested Pilates? I am a member of the gym too but I find the staff there pretty clueless when it comes to making out a plan for me. At the moment I am up to 20-25 miles per week and I can all ready feel little niggles in my lower back so nerves are starting to set in all ready which I don't want obviously! I guess I need something to supplement/compliment my running plan? Any advice greatly appreciated.
    A lot of runners around here do Pilates and find it very good. I don't so can't really advise you. Some physio clinics offer specific Pilates classes for runners so maybe check out your local physio clinics. If you're in Dublin I know of one or two places that do it.
    There are lots of types of stretching, static, ballistic, active and billions of different stretches. Personally I do AIS which is Active Isolated Stretching and find it brilliant and do it religiously every day. It does take a bit longer to do than static stretching but it totally worth it to me as it works! Check out the links at the end of the first post on page one for videos to show you how to do it safely and properly. If you want any help on how to do any of the stretches let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist!

How's the training going everyone?
    A month now to go to the start of both plans so if you're doing the Boards one you have a month to safely get up to 20 miles on Week 1 and to 15 miles for Week 1 of the Hal plan.
    Anyone who's working their way up through the distances for the Boards plan should be around the 15 mile mark in the next 2 weeks or so as you don't want 20 to be a big leap for you. We really don't want to lose anyone to injuries that can be avoided by sensible progressive training.

I know lots of you are WAY ahead of that so ignore me if you are and keep on doing your thing!

Keep it consistent and get out there on the roads as often as possible. You'll have 5 days a week of training on the Boards plan so you'd want to be getting out there 4-5 days a week over the next few weeks so that 5 days a week training isn't a shock to the body by the start of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Sidelined at the minute. IT band. Havent ran in 9 days. Foam rolling and stretching. Back to physio next wed so will see how i am then. Hopefully back running inside the next 2weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What are the views on treadmill running the odd time...? We have a small gym in work and I may be tempted to do the odd shorter run on it. It would not be very often but sometimes just very handy as I could do it on my break.

Dub13 wrote: »
    What are the views on treadmill running the odd time...? We have a small gym in work and I may be tempted to do the odd shorter run on it. It would not be very often but sometimes just very handy as I could do it on my break.

I was on one once and fell off:o so I'm not a fan personally! For the odd shorter run I don't see any problem at all. Plenty of people on this forum use them regularly. Definitely better than not doing the run at all!

I do the odd treadmill run - as Ososlo says it's better than not doing it. One of the advantages is it's relatively low impact compared to road running. It's less work than real running though - the standard tip is to increase the incline to simulate real road running more closely (although I have to admit I never do that!).

Having said that, if you go to the trouble of getting kitted out, it's as easy to go outside, and it's important to get used to all weather running as part of a marathon plan too.

• Advertisement

I do the odd treadmill run - as Ososlo says it's better than not doing it. One of the advantages is it's relatively low impact compared to road running. It's less work than real running though - the standard tip is to increase the incline to simulate real road running more closely (although I have to admit I never do that!).

Yep and due to the lower impact it's probably ideal for a recovery run.

Advertisement