Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What evidence of Gerry Adams' IRA membership do people need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Piliger wrote: »
    Did the GFA say they had to be voted for ? Read what I said.

Read it again I was referring to immunity for killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Because for the past twenty years he's publicly lied about being a member of an illegal organisation which killed 1800 people. I see that as kind of a big deal.

nelson mandela pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including planting bombs in public places....Gerry Adams has never even been convicted of being a member of a terrorist organisation. yet nelson mandela was considered a peace activist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

nelson mandela pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including planting bombs in public places....Gerry Adams has never even been convicted of being a member of a terrorist organisation. yet nelson mandela was considered a peace activist
    Nelson Mandela considered Adams as being a brother in arms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

so why are people so determined to ruin his political career and all the good he has brought to the peace process in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

so why are people so determined to ruin his political career and all the good he has brought to the peace process in the north?

The man is about to retire and has been pastured out to the Dail. It's a bit late to ruin his political career. A bit of honesty for a change would be welcome all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

So even Mandela thought Adams was in the IRA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

When he is dead and gone, he will be known as a freedom fighter and peace maker. Forever in our history.

Can't see Enda and his money hungry goblins getting that title.

When he is dead and gone, he will be known as a freedom fighter and peace maker. Forever in our history.

1800 lives is a bit of a rich price tag for such a legacy. But then Paisley will be right in there under the same categories.

alastair wrote: »
    1800 lives is a bit of a rich price tag for such a legacy. But then Paisley will be right in there under the same categories.

Yep. I would tend to agree.

Hopefully the toll on lives is at an end. I doubt it though. Where I was brought up, there are a fair few headbangers still running around with a massive chip on their shoulder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

Can't see Enda and his money hungry goblins getting that title.
    Not to the Ulster Protestants he won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Did he shoot them all himself?

relaxed wrote: »
    Did he shoot them all himself?
    Wasn't his role mostly as a 'director of terrorism' rather than a hands on terrorist?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Wasn't his role mostly as a 'director of terrorism' rather than a hands on terrorist?

Never heard of him having that title before, care to backup that?

Never heard of him having that title before, care to backup that?
    There's a specific charge of 'directing terrorism' - I can't point to the specific legislation, but I'm sure you could google it.
    Anyone in any kind of leadership position in the IRA would be open to such a charge.

There's a specific charge of 'directing terrorism' - I can't point to the specific legislation, but I'm sure you could google it.
    Anyone in any kind of leadership position in the IRA would be open to such a charge.

Or any kind leadership position in the British or US government as well. Lets not forget them for this new charge.

Down with them all!!!!

GRRRRRRR!!

Or any kind leadership position in the British or US government as well. Lets not forget them for this new charge.

Down with them all!!!!

GRRRRRRR!!
    State sanctioned violence isn't subject to the same charge, being as it is, legal.

Yes I am aware of the charge, but was Gerry Adams ever found guilty of said offence?

If not then stop making false claims that he was directing terrorism.

State sanctioned violence isn't subject to the same charge, being as it is, legal.

Yes indeed. But it all depends if the government is sending in troops to kick in your door, Im guessing Gerry may have questioned the legality of the way nationalists were being treated when he was younger.

Not being a sheep, he may have turned to the republican movement as a way to rebel .

I have no doubt personally he was involved in the IRA. But they will never pin it on him without a noted member standing in the witness box against him.

I made that claim? Was that inside or outside of your own imagination?

Not being a sheep, he may have turned to the republican movement as a way to rebel .
    Nice of you to label the majority of the nationalist people in N.I. who continued to support the SDLP all throughout the troubles as 'sheep'.
    I have no doubt personally he was involved in the IRA.
    Me neither.

• Advertisement

Nice of you to label the majority of the nationalist people in N.I. who continued to support the SDLP all throughout the troubles as 'sheep'.

That's what you said in your post #133 anyway.

Yes I am aware of the charge, but was Gerry Adams ever found guilty of said offence?

He was directing terrorism though. He had a leading role within a terrorist organisation. Kinda the job description.

That's what you said in your post #133 anyway.

That wasn't a claim - it was a question.

That wasn't a claim - it was a question.

Well then the answer to your question is no. There is a charge for directing terrorism and I am unaware of him ever being found guilty of it, so he remains innocent until proven guilty, the same right the rest of us enjoy.

He was directing terrorism though. He had a leading role within a terrorist organisation. Kinda the job description.

So much for innocent until proven guilty, you should be running North Korea.

Well then the answer to your question is no. There is a charge for directing terrorism and I am unaware of him ever being found guilty of it, so he remains innocent until proven guilty, the same right the rest of us enjoy.

He's only innocent if he didn't direct terrorism. He's guilty if he did.

The presumption of innocence is a legal construct - not to be confused with actual fact.

So much for innocent until proven guilty, you should be running North Korea.

Is this a court of law? No it's not. So a question of innocence or guilt doesn't arise. Was he directing terrorism? Yes he was - he was a leading member of a terrorist organisation, and the buck stopped with him over many acts of violence.

Is this a court of law? No it's not. So a question of innocence or guilt doesn't arise. Was he directing terrorism? Yes he was - he was a leading member of a terrorist organisation, and the buck stopped with him over many acts of violence.

Maybe you should furnish us with some evidence of his being a leading member so, before making such matter of fact statements.

A few photos from the 1970's is far from evidence of him being a leading member of the Ira in the 1980's.

We all know he may well have been, but it's evidence you need to back up your claims with.

• Advertisement

He's only innocent if he didn't direct terrorism. He's guilty if he did.

The presumption of innocence is a legal construct - not to be confused with actual fact.

Well if you have some factual evidence that he was directing terrorism lets be having it.

Advertisement