Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What evidence of Gerry Adams' IRA membership do people need?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

alastair wrote: »
    Adams in uniform with known IRA men, the evidence of other IRA men of the time, the designation of Adams as an IRA delegate in '73, and the attribution of an article (claiming he was an IRA man) to him personally by the publishers of said articles. Aside from that we've only got the word of our government, the UK government, oh, and the US government's confidence that those two governments were quite clear about his membership. Asides from that, not a lot, other than a moderate critical analysis capacity.

If he was arrested for membership of an illegal organisation there is nothing there that would stand up in court.

Like the word of our government, are you for real, bank bailouts, Anglo, troika, corruption and you think we should take their word as evidence?

The British and American governments that invaded Iraq but found no chemical weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

relaxed wrote: »
    If he was arrested for membership of an illegal organisation there is nothing there that would stand up in court.

Like the word of our government, are you for real, bank bailouts, Anglo, troika, corruption and you think we should take their word as evidence?

The British and American governments that invaded Iraq but found no chemical weapons?

I thought that the special criminal court could convict people for membership of an illegal organisation purely on the word of a chief superintendent.
    I'd say convicting Adams would be a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

So what if he was in the IRA ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

relaxed wrote: »

Probably, but then the same is true of OJ Simpson.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Probably, but then the same is true of OJ Simpson.

Are you saying the Justice system shouldn't be allowed proceed and he is Guilty without a trial and also that even if a trial found him not guilty he is still guilty?

You are aware he was arrested for being a member of the IRA in 1978 but never charged?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Villain wrote: »
    Are you saying the Justice system shouldn't be allowed proceed...?

As far as I can see, the only people saying that are Sinn Féin.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the only people saying that are Sinn Féin.

It is difficult not to believe the timing is politically motivated but I think it is better for the long run if this process is completed and then people move on.

I do find it hard to believe the number of people here and on social media etc who are supporting this move yet support for investigations into other such killings don't get the same attention, e.g. the refusal of the British Government to allow a proper enquiry into the Murder of Pat Finucane.

Dragging selective murders from the past up is going to cause issues, as I have always said here if you always look back you will never move forward.

Are you saying the Justice system shouldn't be allowed proceed and he is Guilty without a trial and also that even if a trial found him not guilty he is still guilty?

You are aware he was arrested for being a member of the IRA in 1978 but never charged?

Oh he was charged and tried, but not convicted. It's very hard to prove membership of the IRA. With regard to the judicial system - I haven't noticed anyone calling for his conviction on IRA membership - just universal disbelief that he continues to pitch the nonsensical tale of his lack of involvement. I'm sure most people want him to be brought to trial if he's shown to be involved in the Jean McConville murder, but without evidence of specific crimes beyond simple membership of the IRA, I doubt too many people could be bothered with criminalising him for that membership.

I do find it hard to believe the number of people here and on social media etc who are supporting this move yet support for investigations into other such killings don't get the same attention, e.g. the refusal of the British Government to allow a proper enquiry into the Murder of Pat Finucane.

It's worth pointing out that there wasn't any inquiry in to the Jean McConville case either - beyond the police ombudsman's report, which was also the case with Finucane. Nothing 'selective' in that regard.

It's worth pointing out that there wasn't any inquiry in to the Jean McConville case either - beyond the police ombudsman's report, which was also the case with Finucane. Nothing 'selective' in that regard.
    It is selective that a political figure is under arrest in regard to one yet the British Government refuse to allow an enquiry which may well show political involvement in the other case.

The murder of Jean McConville was an awful awful crime as was the murder of Pat Finucane but if we begin the process of digging up the past in a selective manner I foresee a lot of political issues in Northern Ireland and we will only go backwards not forward.

It will also IMO put an end to any hope of truth and reconciliation which many families want so they know what happened and move on.

• Advertisement

It is selective that a political figure is under arrest in regard to one yet the British Government refuse to allow an enquiry which may well show political involvement in the other case.

They refused an inquiry into McConville too - there's no selectivity at play.
    The murder of Jean McConville was an awful awful crime as was the murder of Pat Finucane but if we begin the process of digging up the past in a selective manner I foresee a lot of political issues in Northern Ireland and we will only go backwards not forward.

It will also IMO put an end to any hope of truth and reconciliation which many families want so they know what happened and move on.
    Again - no selectivity. There's an open investigation with regard to Finucane. It took over 40 years for any breakthrough on Jean McConville though, so a level playing field isn't much consolation to anyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm not sure this needs a separate thread?

I wasn't aware anyone on this island genuinely believes Adams was NOT in the IRA!

It's not inconsistent to say that you believe he was in the IRA but there isn't any direct evidence of his membership or activities.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It is difficult not to believe the timing is politically motivated...
    It's actually pretty easy, if you're not viewing the situation through the lens of preconceptions.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's actually pretty easy, if you're not viewing the situation through the lens of preconceptions.

I strongly disagree and IMO those that believe politics isn't involved are being naive

They refused an inquiry into McConville too - there's no selectivity at play.

Again - no selectivity. There's an open investigation with regard to Finucane. It took over 40 years for any breakthrough on Jean McConville though, so a level playing field isn't much consolation to anyone.

So you expect people from Thatchers government to be arrested soon?

So you expect people from Thatchers government to be arrested soon?

For what?

I strongly disagree and IMO those that believe politics isn't involved are being naive

I'd say the complete opposite. The world doesn't revolve around Adams or SF.

For what?

Collusion in the murder of Finucane and others IMO

Collusion in the murder of Finucane and others IMO

IMO? That's not any sort of argument for arrests. Have you got any evidence to offer?

IMO? That's not any sort of argument for arrests. Have you got any evidence to offer?

British prime minister Cameron stated there was collusion in the murder of Finucane????

• Advertisement

British prime minister Cameron stated there was collusion in the murder of Finucane????

Following evidence from an independent inquiry that no-one in government was culpable? That's the basis for seeking the arrest of 'Thatcher's government'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

We are now getting a little glimpse of what life would be life under a SF government. Immunity for SF killers and open season for the IRA. This is what people get when they vote for terrorists and killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Piliger wrote: »
    We are now getting a little glimpse of what life would be life under a SF government. Immunity for SF killers and open season for the IRA. This is what people get when they vote for terrorists and killers.
    Hysteria is strong I see

You forget that we voted to free hundreds of IRA people from jail. Why did you want "terrorists and killers" freed?

Piliger wrote: »

So the majority of us were wrong to vote for the Good Friday agreement ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i dont see what the big deal is about him being a member of the ira. he did so much to bring peace to the north and south. i didnt see anyone pipe up that nelson mandela was a terrorist. so what is mr adams any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

he'll be released without charge, voters north and south will see the arrest for what it was - a backfired attempt at stopping SFs political rise. SF will use the farce to their advantage and the usual suspects on boards will be whinging about it.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Finally I'll ask, does anyone care if he was or not?
    The question isnt if Adams was or wasnt in the IRA, the question is who cares and what difference does it make?
    So what if he was in the IRA ?:confused:
    i dont see what the big deal is about him being a member of the ira.

Because for the past twenty years he's publicly lied about being a member of an illegal organisation which killed 1800 people. I see that as kind of a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

So the majority of us were wrong to vote for the Good Friday agreement ??

Did the GFA say they had to be voted for ? Read what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You should go to the police with that evidence you have that he was in the IRA, considering they dont seem to have any.
    Because for the past twenty years he's publicly lied about being a member of an illegal organisation which killed 1800 people. I see that as kind of a big deal.

Advertisement