Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What evidence of Gerry Adams' IRA membership do people need?

Options
1373839404143»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    As I was saying...
    You haven't answered for some reason? Are you a fan of Jimmy Saville? I think you should come clean and tell us.

Godge wrote: »
    but the court of public opinion can make that conclusion
    I can't even begin to answer that.
    Dammit... why do we bother with a legal system then? We could just put alleged criminals on X Factor and have the public vote whether they're guilty or not under your system? Or, let me guess, if enough people buy the Indo, whatever the latest bucket of ****e they spew out concerning SF will be automatically proven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

You didn't answer the question.

There is a basic premise here. Can you conclude that somebody (Saville, O.J. Simpson, Lee Harvey Oswald, Strongbow, Gerry Adams, whoever) is guilty of a crime without that being proved beyond reasonable doubt in a court?

The answer to that is YES. It is not easily done, it shouldn't be done recklessly but the court of public opinion can make that conclusion. Now the court of public opinion shouldn't be carrying out punishments like knee-capping, shooting and expelling but it can reach a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence available.

Once we all agree on this basic premise, we can move on to discuss the particulars of whether Gerry Adams is/was a member of the IRA without the diversionary tactics of it was never proved in court.

At the end of the day it is only an opinion.
    The danger with that opinion is that it is used to marginalise people - the people SF represent. It allows people like you to defame ordinary decent members with the tag SF/IRA, generally and on Boards.ie. It allows you to equate their membership with support for what you believe SF are about, criminality and subversion. That is wholly wrong and contemptible.
    It allows Enda Kenny to stifle debate in the Dail when a SF rep stands up to speak on behalf of the people they represent.
    The list goes on and on as to what this 'opinion' allows.
    Public opinion, as history has shown, when manipulated by dodgy evidence and vested interests is a very dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2994221/Is-proof-killer-15-000-word-expose-respected-New-Yorker-magazine-makes-devastating-claims-Gerry-Adams.html

I think we know what the apologists will say, but it seems the skeletons in the closets are getting restless

junder wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2994221/Is-proof-killer-15-000-word-expose-respected-New-Yorker-magazine-makes-devastating-claims-Gerry-Adams.html

I think we know what the apologists will say, but it seems the skeletons in the closets are getting restless
    I think we all know what the smearbots will say... we have Gerry at the 100000000001st attempt lads. Nevermind the dismal flops the last 100000000000 were.... this is the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

junder wrote: »

Or it could be that Sinn Fein continue to poll well ahead of next years election.

eire4 wrote: »
    Or it could be that Sinn Fein continue to poll well ahead of next years election.
    They might or the they might not. Either way it'll be absolutely sod all to do with the Indo's latest shock-horror SF claptrap headlines.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    They might or the they might not. Either way it'll be absolutely sod all to do with the Indo's latest shock-horror SF claptrap headlines.

Saw this on FB last night Dan, you are not the only one who finds the Sindo a joke on the subject of Adams.
    The are just fodder for parody now like The Daily Fail.

c86791_dcdf909423bd426fb06f84f1c6039ced.jpg_srb_p_630_450_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

http://thenorthernstrande.wix.com/thenorthernstranded#!Hitler-and-Gerry-Go-Up-In-Flames-Together/co23/FB9D9780-A2CC-4A21-9750-F97E7A75168E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

eire4 wrote: »

The original article
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/03/16/where-the-bodies-are-buried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Happyman42 wrote: »
    At the end of the day it is only an opinion.
    The danger with that opinion is that it is used to marginalise people - the people SF represent. It allows people like you to defame ordinary decent members with the tag SF/IRA, generally and on Boards.ie. It allows you to equate their membership with support for what you believe SF are about, criminality and subversion. That is wholly wrong and contemptible.
    It allows Enda Kenny to stifle debate in the Dail when a SF rep stands up to speak on behalf of the people they represent.
    The list goes on and on as to what this 'opinion' allows.
    Public opinion, as history has shown, when manipulated by dodgy evidence and vested interests is a very dangerous thing.

The problem with the above is that if my opinion is right, then SF deserve to be marginalised.

By fighting at every opportunity against my right to hold and express an opinion that SF are intrinsically still linked to IRA atrocities and that cult-like SF are unfit for government given their involvement in violence, child sexual abuse and it cover-up and have dangerous economic policies, SF supporters only give additional reasons why SF should not be let near government.

• Advertisement

By fighting at every opportunity against my right to hold and express an opinion
    Never happened, but I suppose it's a well worn tactic on the web to pretend the opposition have tried to silence you.
    Pity it's just a tad hogwashy.

The problem with the above is that if my opinion is right,

No, it just remains, 'your opinion'.

Like if I insisted 'the earth was flat'. I have the right to sit here believing that all day long, whoop de whoopdy doo.
    When I start trying to blockade shipping going over the horizon is when it impinges on the rights of others.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    No, it just remains, 'your opinion'.

Like if I insisted 'the earth was flat'. I have the right to sit here believing that all day long, whoop de whoopdy doo.
    When I start trying to blockade shipping going over the horizon is when it impinges on the rights of others.
    Godge's problem is that he actually thinks proving him wrong again and again and again is an attempt to shut him up.
    Of course it isn't. It's too much fun.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Godge's problem is that he actually thinks proving him wrong again and again and again is an attempt to shut him up.
    Of course it isn't. It's too much fun.

But first he would have to 'prove' something. :D I don't think he even begins to understand what that word means at this stage.

Advertisement