Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    For a first time buyer is there any reason to buy a yoke with NCT which is up in August vs one with NCT just up? Both could theoretically be in the exact same nick. Cheers

Get yourself a yoke with close to a full years NCT, or even better, the guts of 15 months NCT

Why wouldn't you? Plenty of cars for sale, plenty with a long NCT!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, but the fupping tax! :mad:

That the whole point, its not the tax that you should be concerned with on a big car to put you off, its the cost per mile in a premium car that was equivalent of €70K+ when new.

Buy that GS300 for €1k, LPG it for €1k. So if you are keeping it for 3 years it will cost you €670/yr. - Say €350ish/yr for servicing/tyres etc if doing 10-12k/year with €300/yr depreciation

Car + depreciation: €1300/yr
    Tax: €1500/yr
    Fuel to do 12k/miles/year = 12,000/20mpg(on lpg)*4.54*0.80c = €2,200

total: €4,700/12,000 = 0.39c/mile

Absolute buttons when you factor in its legendary reliability compared to:

Take a 08+ Diesel Kia
    Car + depreciation: €3k/yr:
    Tax €200
    Fuel to do 12k/miles/year = 12,000/50mpg*4.54*0.80c = €1,600

Total: €4,800/12,000 = 0.40c/mile

This excludes all known diesel faults: turbo/DPF/DMF/Injectors etc

Given the choice of a silky smooth super-reliable 3.0 with auto box compared to an rattly 4-pot manual diesel econo-box, I know what I would sooner drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

unkel wrote: »
    Get yourself a yoke with close to a full years NCT, or even better, the guts of 15 months NCT

Why wouldn't you? Plenty of cars for sale, plenty with a long NCT!

Because I'm looking at Peugeot 206's, with a budget of €1000. Most are around the €800 mark or lower, but when ones pop up with new NCT's are around €1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Advertisement

Because I'm looking at Peugeot 206's, with a budget of €1000. Most are around the €800 mark or lower, but when ones pop up with new NCT's are around €1600.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/00-fiesta-passed-test-on-monday/6806615

28817716.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Kaiser D wrote: »

What are these like reliability wise? do they have the same issues with sludge as the 9-5?

mullingar wrote: »
    Given the choice of a silky smooth super-reliable 3.0 with auto box compared to an rattly 4-pot manual diesel econo-box, I know what I would sooner drive.

Hallelujah!
    Because I'm looking at Peugeot 206's

Why limit yourself to one car? Doing so will cost you more, that's simple!
    Interslice wrote: »
    Deadly car for 400

Deadly find!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Hope this isn't a re-advertisement that's reposted, but it seems like decent bangernomics value at €900 for an 02 diesel Mondy:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-ford-mondeo-2-0-diesel-nct-10-14-tax/6874153

29149446.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What do people think of this, I'm taking a spin out to have a look this evening, seem good value for a solid car with a years NCT, its Vauxhall was imported by the guy selling who moved over from England, anything in particular to watch out for on these.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-vauxhall-astra-1-6i-sxi-2001/6510364

28456803.jpeg

29041078.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/6852050

800 and a few months nct, and plenty luxury

Are these prone to HG failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I like these. Much nicer than the model that followed in my opinion.
    Interesting mileage claim if it checks out
    NCT 09/14
    Asking €1250

29152020.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'04 Alto
    Fierce low miles..??
    Test 03/15
    Asking €1,100

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-alto/6874673

29152073.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Unfortunately yes if it has the K series engine fitted but I believe that some were fitted with Honda engines and am open to correction, as the Honda engine was very robust.
    Nice looking car, hope you have luck with it.

BillJ wrote: »
    29041078.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-75/6852050

800 and a few months nct, and plenty luxury

Are these prone to HG failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Unfortunately yes if it has the K series engine fitted but I believe that some were fitted with Honda engines and am open to correction, as the Honda engine was very robust.
    It's a kV6 engine, a development of the K-series. It's not a Honda engine. HGF however isn't really an issue with them.

They're not bad but the belts are a pig of a job to do and I note no mention of it in the service history. (it would cost over 1000e to do it correctly) You'd struggle to get 30mpg never mind 40mpg. It also has the manual box with the chocolate clutch.

Having said that it's my favourite model (V8 excepted) put of the 75/ZT range.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It's a kV6 engine, a development of the K-series. It's not a Honda engine. HGF however isn't really an issue with them.

They're not bad but the belts are a pig of a job to do and I note no mention of it in the service history. (it would cost over 1000e to do it correctly) You'd struggle to get 30mpg never mind 40mpg. It also has the manual box with the chocolate clutch.

Having said that it's my favourite model (V8 excepted) put of the 75/ZT range.

I'm planning on doing a banger rally in July and I just need something to go 1500 miles. this would be really nice to do it in but was worried about reliability. The saab 93 posted earlier is tempting also

BillJ wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing a banger rally in July and I just need something to go 1500 miles. this would be really nice to do it in but was worried about reliability. The saab 93 posted earlier is tempting also
    You'd have to look it over properly as they can be great cars and/or total nightmares. I'd suggest it would be a pity to kill it on a rally as it's actually a rare example of a 75 ;)

The 5 buttons ahead of the gearstick is a very very rare factory order. But you'd have to be an anorak to notice.......

ba_barabus wrote: »
    You'd have to look it over properly as they can be great cars and/or total nightmares. I'd suggest it would be a pity to kill it on a rally as it's actually a rare example of a 75 ;)

The 5 buttons ahead of the gearstick is a very very rare factory order. But you'd have to be an anorak to notice.......

I actually do have some reservations about ruining something nice. I should leave it to someone who would appreciate and get something more common.

For tonight only, a friend is leaving the country. I was buying his 2001 1.6l MGF with a brand new NCT, fully serviced and with tax till June. I can't take it but the guy is leaving in the next few days. Good tyres etc. few marks, not perfect but has a huge history. It's fully serviced and driving very well.

It's going tonight.

PM ME ASAP

The car is located near the Spawell roundabout in Dublin. The price is 650 NO OFFERS as its piss cheap at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

might help to say where the car is ba

might help to say where the car is ba

Edited to include this and a stupidly cheap price is now included

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would you not buy it, you like MGFs and HGFs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you not buy it, you like MGFs and HGFs

I had but had to pull out. Hg is done and receipt is present

Brand new NCT valid until tomorrow or until Aug '15? ;)

Love the looks of them and for sure it's a bargain with the summer coming up. Even if it was worthless come October. Didn't know some had the 1.6l engine, I thought they were all 1.8. I presume that 1.6 is a K-series?

Brand new NCT valid until tomorrow or until Aug '15? ;)

29-5-15 so over 12 months NCT ;)

Yep the 1.6 is a k engine but not nearly as likely to suffer HGF but still has a lovely sound. It should have only ever gone as big as 1.6 but it was bored out to 1.8 which caused the most HGF

Any pics / links? Sounds like some bargain!

Any pics / links? Sounds like some bargain!

No links but if you want me to email the pics I have send me your email address. I'd really like to help him get it moved as I've let him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

that sounds like a right bargain ba!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-bravo-gt-nctd/6875961

kind of makes my bravo look **** for the price :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If someone were to buy that MGF I'd buy it off them in about 6 weeks, possibly sooner :) I'll be starting a new job next week so it'd take me a couple more to get money up. Was thinking about an MX5 for the summer but thatd do nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement