Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Definitely not to everyone's taste, but if I were in the market for a diesel now with a €1k budget, that would be 1st on the list.

My apologies - wasn't meant as criticism - in fact I quite like it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Rang up about this peugeot 406 http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406hdi-executive-estate/6849031?sv=1 that i posted earlier in thread, am very tempted by it.

Regarding the spare wing mirror and no pic of that side he is to email me on some more pics of all around the car so not too worried abou that. He said it has been off the road for a bit and that he just recently put it through the NCT it failed initially and he used a donor car to fix the exhaust so that may be where the wing mirror comes from.

Its an english import from a few years ago and he said he has the MOT certs and that and will email me on the english and irish reg which isn't showing in pic. It is currently declared of road and no tax.

In fairness he sounded like a genuine chap and when I mentioned about possibly bringing a mechanic to have a look over he said yeah no problem he'd nearly be kinda happier to see that happen.

If it was closer I'd definily be taking a look, does anyone know any reliable genuine mechanics down in Wexford if I was to take a trip down and have a look. Any things to watch out for particularly in these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Linky no worky, cruizer101

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

dead link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

unkel wrote: »
    Linky no worky, cruizer101

I'm guessing it's the Pug estate from a page or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Rang up about this peugeot 406 http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406hdi-executive-estate/6849031?sv=1 that i posted earlier in thread, am very tempted by it.

Regarding the spare wing mirror and no pic of that side he is to email me on some more pics of all around the car so not too worried abou that. He said it has been off the road for a bit and that he just recently put it through the NCT it failed initially and he used a donor car to fix the exhaust so that may be where the wing mirror comes from.

Its an english import from a few years ago and he said he has the MOT certs and that and will email me on the english and irish reg which isn't showing in pic. It is currently declared of road and no tax.

In fairness he sounded like a genuine chap and when I mentioned about possibly bringing a mechanic to have a look over he said yeah no problem he'd nearly be kinda happier to see that happen.

If it was closer I'd definily be taking a look, does anyone know any reliable genuine mechanics down in Wexford if I was to take a trip down and have a look. Any things to watch out for particularly in these cars.

For a €800-900 car I wouldn't bother getting a mechanic to look it over tbh. Just look it over yourself and bring it for a test drive.
    A mechanic could charge you 100-200 for their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

'07 Mondeo, NCT '15, asking €2,150

28838356.jpeg

Tested just over a week ago. Must have been well over a year late, or a more recent import???

Edit - 4 Irish owners, so no recent import :D
    Decent spec - parking sensors, electric seats, cruise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why are Mondy's so cheap? Spacious family car, cheap to run, pretty reliable, decent to drive.

Am I missing something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

MK3's are generally cheap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Why are Mondy's so cheap? Spacious family car, cheap to run, pretty reliable, decent to drive.

They're based off the Jaguar X-Type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Brian wrote: »
    They're based off the Jaguar X-Type.

Other way around, the jaguar x type is based of a Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

cruizer101 wrote: »

Airbag gremlin is a common curse. The wiring connections under the drivers and passenger seats give trouble on these. I fixed mine, but I now have the pleasure of an intermittent airbag light, just to make it easier to fix.

Also, if its fitted with a com2000, the indicator stalk wears out, and when you indicate for a corner and the unit self rights, it tends to put the indicator on the opposite way due to wear. Some can be repaired, but mostly its a replacement. Not that easily found and can be fairly costly.

The starter needed to be reconditioned, which is is negligible for me due to age. When i bought the car over two years ago I had to replace the two front shocks and flexi brake pipes for the test. Other than that, I've never needed to put a spanner to the car and its never let me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

The older mondeo at that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

28930925.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/01-toyota-corrola-tax-n-c-t/6830430

tax 6-14 n.c.t 9-15
    €950

Looks nice and clean

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Neither way around. Both models share the Ford CD132 automotive platform. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is this thread actually meant to say Bangeromics or BangerNomics?
    Economising on letters as well as cars:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

h3000 wrote: »

tax 6-14 n.c.t 9-15
    €950

Looks nice and clean

What is this model of corolla like, and what should people look out for on it ?

Moneymaker wrote: »

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ryan101 wrote: »
    Pretty much stone reliable, there are some dodgy gearboxes around and some used oil, many had a shortblock fix from Toyota.
    But overall they are as troublefree a motor as you could want.
    1.4VVti is a nice engine for its size, peppy enough and pretty frugal.
    Tax is also quite low as it fell under the 1400cc class by 2 whole cc

ryan101 wrote: »
    Not much goes wrong with them apart from some early vvti's tendency to use a bit of oil. If the proper oil 5w30 fully synthetic oil is used and the oil is changed ever 7k or so, it shouldn't be a problem. It's something that has to be watched though

Some developed noisy gearbox bearings too so it would be imperative to drive the car to make sure its nice and quiet, with no rough noises coming from the box.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Neither way around. Both models share the Ford CD132 automotive platform. :D
    Which is a mondeo platform, developed specifically for the mk1 mondeo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is this thread actually meant to say Bangeromics or BangerNomics?
    Economising on letters as well as cars:D

Well spotted!

Not much goes wrong with them apart from some early vvti's tendency to use a bit of oil. If the proper oil 5w30 fully synthetic oil is used and the oil is changed ever 7k or so, it shouldn't be a problem. It's something that has to be watched though

Some developed noisy gearbox bearings too so it would be imperative to drive the car to make sure its nice and quiet, with no rough noises coming from the box.

Cheers, do all these models eventually suffer from the gearbox noise, or just the ones that have been driven too hard ?, roughly how much is it to sort gearbox bearings ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

anything to watch out for with this one?

donedeal:

Www.cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-156-bargain-nct-taxed/6856215

its a 156 sportwagon for 995
    2 months tax and 11 months nct

or would this be a better buy at 1250 with some work done?
    year older, but lower miles and smaller engine

Www.cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-156-sportwagon-1-8-twin-spark/6746883

am i a bit thick thinking about an alfa wagon for around 1k?
    would volvo or ford be a better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Personally I'd be going for the 02 if it were me. Looks nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

More bangernomics incoming for me. Stay tuned. :P

Not a 6 cylinder BMW sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Which is a mondeo platform, developed specifically for the mk1 mondeo :p

Bleh!!

This discussion has been closed.