Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ryan101 wrote: »
    Cheers, do all these models eventually suffer from the gearbox noise, or just the ones that have been driven too hard ?, roughly how much is it to sort gearbox bearings ?
    Not all suffer from it, many don't. in my experience its usually rough examples that suffer from it but I don't think it's down to hard driving tbh.

Imo changing the gearbox oil every so often could prolong the life of the bearings.

The bearings can be got for around €100 but there is alot of labour in fitting them as the box has to be taken apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Not all suffer from it, many don't. in my experience its usually rough examples that suffer from it but I don't think it's down to hard driving tbh.

Imo changing the gearbox oil every so often could prolong the life of the bearings.

The bearings can be got for around €100 but there is alot of labour in fitting them as the box has to be taken apart.
    Our 00 estate has a noisy 'box now. No hard driving and only 127k on it gearbox oil changed yearly.
    I think its a weakness in those boxes, C52 is the code for them IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

small bit of damage and slightly over the bangernomics upper limit but im sure you could haggle them down a bit

28930045.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-525i-72-miles-nct-1-owner/6830259

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Pretty sure thats was here before (or in the last thread), can't remember if it was a 525 posted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Same car

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Our 00 estate has a noisy 'box now. No hard driving and only 127k on it gearbox oil changed yearly.
    I think its a weakness in those boxes, C52 is the code for them IIRC.
    I have seen some go at around that mileage but usually it's at higher mileage they go. That said I know of a few that are gone well past the 200k miles that are still on original bearings.

The last one I've seen with bearing problems was about four or five years ago and it was a single bearing that was the culprit. Some of the balls had disintegrated and the bearing couldn't be turned freely by hand. I forget who made the bearing now but it was from an outside manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

This time two years ago I struggled to get any interest in a GS300 identical to that one - same year, same mileage, same colour, same condition,full year NCT - ended up letting her off for a grand.
    So unless the market for luxobarges has dramatically changed in the intervening period, I think he's being a bit optimistic with his asking.
    I'd raise an eyebrow at the mention of the timing belt, but it could just be a slip of the tongue.

They're a brilliant motor, and if ever you get the chance to own one, and can afford it, then jump on it!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-300-automatic-nct-03-15/6837075

+1. I have one, same year/colour/spec as that one for 8 years now and its running on LPG - getting the equivalent of 40mpg out of it too!

Never missed a beat in that time and has been super reliable, the only fault in 8 years motoring is a camshaft oil seal that recently started to leak and that's it.

These motors are the definition of reliable bangernomics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

small bit of damage and slightly over the bangernomics upper limit but im sure you could haggle them down a bit

28930045.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-525i-72-miles-nct-1-owner/6830259

Didn't i post that aready on an older ad ? Seems to be the same car anyway but better pictures and price has jumped 100 quid. I would tbh even if it's not an M-sport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen some go at around that mileage but usually it's at higher mileage they go. That said I know of a few that are gone well past the 200k miles that are still on original bearings.

The last one I've seen with bearing problems was about four or five years ago and it was a single bearing that was the culprit. Some of the balls had disintegrated and the bearing couldn't be turned freely by hand. I forget who made the bearing now but it was from an outside manufacturer.
    This one was always hard to get into reverse, always crunched a bit unless you double clutched it.
    New box from an older shape E11 shouldn't be much more than 150 + Clutch and labour.
    Car has been faultless otherwise apart from the indicators failing once due to a bad wire.
    JT build has a lot going for it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This one was always hard to get into reverse, always crunched a bit unless you double clutched it.
    New box from an older shape E11 shouldn't be much more than 150 + Clutch and labour.
    Car has been faultless otherwise apart from the indicators failing once due to a bad wire.
    JT build has a lot going for it.
    It was actually an older shape e11 that I was referring to above. It was a slightly on the rough side 1998 with 157k miles. It's been going faultlessly since though.

reverse gear crunch can sometimes happen but it can be easily prevented by easing into reverse and watching out for resistance, if resistance occurs usually re dipping the clutch solves the issue.

they are great cars though Imo. The vvt-i models are super smooth in terms of engine noise, the gearchange is nice, and there is a touch of quality to the interior.

Build quality is also excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

mullingar wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-300-automatic-nct-03-15/6837075

+1. I have one, same year/colour/spec as that one for 8 years now and its running on LPG - getting the equivalent of 40mpg out of it too!

Never missed a beat in that time and has been super reliable, the only fault in 8 years motoring is a camshaft oil seal that recently started to leak and that's it.

These motors are the definition of reliable bangernomics

Yeah, but the fupping tax! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It was actually an older shape e11 that I was referring to above. It was a slightly on the rough side 1998 with 157k miles. It's been going faultlessly since though.

reverse gear crunch can sometimes happen but it can be easily prevented by easing into reverse and watching out for resistance, if resistance occurs usually re dipping the clutch solves the issue.

they are great cars though Imo. The vvt-i models are super smooth in terms of engine noise, the gearchange is nice, and there is a touch of quality to the interior.

Build quality is also excellent.

The reliability is fantastic.

But how did they manage to have so little legroom in the back for the size of the car.

Never driven a petrol one - are they radically different to drive then the NA 2.0 diesel????

Old diesel wrote: »
    The reliability is fantastic.

But how did they manage to have so little legroom in the back for the size of the car.
    tbh they are not that big, leg room mightn't be the greatest but it's not bad and certainly not the worst. If you've ever been in a rover 600 you'll know about small leg room :)
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Never driven a petrol one - are they radically different to drive then the NA 2.0 diesel????

Yes the petrol is a much nipper and nicer car IMO, the fuel economy isn't massively difference between the two either but the tax is, so the petrol is a much better proposition IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

tbh they are not that big, leg room mightn't be the greatest but it's not bad and certainly not the worst. If you've ever been in a rover 600 you'll know about small leg room :)

Yes the petrol is a much nipper and nicer car IMO, the fuel economy isn't massively difference between the two either but the tax is, so the petrol is a much better proposition IMO.

Fair point on the Rover - I still think though - that while as you say the Corolla isn't that big - I still reckon the rear legroom should have been better for the cars size.

Im been a bit fussy/overly harsh - but to me the rear legroom kind of sticks out like a sore thumb on what is otherwise a well thought out, very well engineered decent quality (albeit boring) car.

Makes sense that the petrol is a lot nicer to drive - but to be fair the diesel (imo) isn't horrific to drive - its just a bit slow - and while not the most refined at idle - it does - imo - prove fine when on the move refinement wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

h3000 wrote: »
    Balls that's my old Corolla. I would have bought that back. Pity I didn't spot it yesterday. Did anyone here buy that?

It's missing the original wheel trims but the rest looks about right. The mileage must be huge at this stage.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Balls that's my old Corolla. I would have bought that back. Pity I didn't spot it yesterday. Did anyone here buy that?

It's missing the original wheel trims but the rest looks about right. The mileage must be huge at this stage.
    Not sure who bought it but the original wheel trims are the only ones that suits those cars Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Not sure who bought it but the original wheel trims are the only ones that suits those cars Imo.

I'd agree 100% with that. That had 144k miles and was burning a liter of oil every 1000miles back in November 2011 when I sold it. Everything was working perfectly in it but it didn't have aircon. Front end was resprayed and I put a lot of elbow grease into sorting that pain work so glad to see its been looked after. I also put a small crack in the front bumper that is still there but very hard to see. The gearbox was lovely in it btw

• Registered Users Posts: 64,787 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ba_barabus wrote: »
    That had 144k miles and was burning a liter of oil every 1000miles

:eek:

I thought only the odd Alfa Romeo twin spark would manage that in this day and age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

A '00 diesel Ibiza NCT'd until August and looking very tidy (superficially) for a grand:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-ibiza/6871800

29137386.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

And she's 90bhp TDI

Its a UK ".cool S" 4 month special edition.

Other ad for that car says it has 180000km (which are probably miles)

The angle of the seats and Spin 1038 on the radio would concern me.
    Missing alloy too.

How about the angle of the steering wheel?

"4.8l / 100km around town" + for sale in county Dublin => does not compute.

Lady owner "Elisse" has several other diesel cars for sale too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That is some spec though for an Ibiza. Weird asking price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

h3000 wrote: »

I know this is sold, but just out of curiosity, how can that have an NCT til September 2015?

Something not right there.

Col200sx wrote: »
    I know this is sold, but just out of curiosity, how can that have an NCT til September 2015?

Something not right there.

Tested early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

3 months is the earliest though isn't it?

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Tested early.

Nope not possible. The furthest a 10 year old car can be tested if it was tested today (May 1st), would be August 1st, 2015

Full year test + 3 months early = 15 months test max

As very common on donedeal (and elsewhere), the seller was lying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Look further down ad, in the details below the pic the NCT due is shown as Sept 2014 so simple mistake by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

For a first time buyer is there any reason to buy a yoke with NCT which is up in August vs one with NCT just up? Both could theoretically be in the exact same nick. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    For a first time buyer is there any reason to buy a yoke with NCT which is up in August vs one with NCT just up? Both could theoretically be in the exact same nick. Cheers

You need to ask yourself why has the current owner not bother to nct it ?

Because
    A. They know it will fail.
    B. They are lazy (won't bode well for cars maintenance)
    C. Both of the above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement