Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade candy cab advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The first thread with candy talk in a while and we have 60 posts racked up already!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The sheer enthusiasm at the thought of another one coming into the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

I stopped getting emails letting me know of replies to the thread,logged on to have a look and there's been lots.
    I have to say I like the look of the cute but practicality of two player on it is in question,I would initially be using it for jamma pcb maybe an xxx in 1 before getting the orginals I like whats prices of them like at the minute sf 2/3 etc?
    As for the size thing I think the cute would be less imposing in the room than an blast egret etc and to wife/girlfriends size is key!

Master of the Universe

Regarding PCB pricing, I've found the average seems to be around the €70 mark across the board.

You'll get some good deals far under that (especially with MVS carts) and some other boards will cost you many times that, but if you get into broad PCB collecting (and aren't just focusing on one thing, like shmups!) that's about what you'll be paying the majority of the time.

IMG_20140425_125227.jpg

IMG_20140425_124306.jpg

IMG_20140425_112034.jpg

I'd get him to tate it and take some pis or use a tate game to demo the screen ,
    Does it look like major convergence in the top left?
    where it says lv1?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You can see a bit in the test grid in that spot alright. (Bottom left)

With a monitor of this vintage you'll be hard pressed getting perfection unfortunately.

IMG_20140424_165019.jpg

Yeah. I would say that 3 out of 4 corners looking ok is good for a 15k image. Is this a Ronnie cab?
    Sorry if this was referenced earlier.

No its not one of Ronnie's he will have some in the next few weeks 1750+shipping.
    so considering age of cab etc monitor is in good nick?

I'd get him to tate it and take some pis or use a tate game to demo the screen ,
    Does it look like major convergence in the top left?
    where it says lv1?[/quote]

Go easy with the lingo im new here lol
    tate game? enlighten me please

Master of the Universe

The monitor is currently vertical. 'Tate' is short for 'rotate' - as in move it to a horizontal position. :)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    The monitor is currently vertical. 'Tate' is short for 'rotate' - as in move it to a horizontal position. :)

Ah simple when you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

not quite

Tate: Viewing mode available in some vertscrollers which displays the playing field at full size, rotated 90 degrees to the right. Designed to be used on certain monitors which can be turned on their sides, so as to display the game on a vertically-oriented manner similar to an arcade monitor. The preferred screen format of most shmup players, but it cannot be used on most televisions, since turning standard sets on their sides can break them. Can be used as a verb, as in “I tated my monitor to play this game.” Also presented as “Arcade Mode” or “Full-Screen Mode.”

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Yoko: (also Widescreen) Refers to the default viewing mode of certain vertscrollers, which are intended to be displayed on a horizontal screen, and whose playfield, as a result, is fully viewable without the use of TATE mode. Sometimes also called “4:3” shmups, since a horizontal screen’s area is based on a ratio of 4 (width) to 3 (height), as opposed to the “3:4” ratio of vertical screens.

The word “yoko” comes from a Japanese adjective which means “horizontal.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Can't the convergance be sorted out with a Stanley blade and some insulation tape?

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    not quite

Tate: Viewing mode available in some vertscrollers which displays the playing field at full size, rotated 90 degrees to the right. Designed to be used on certain monitors which can be turned on their sides, so as to display the game on a vertically-oriented manner similar to an arcade monitor. The preferred screen format of most shmup players, but it cannot be used on most televisions, since turning standard sets on their sides can break them. Can be used as a verb, as in “I tated my monitor to play this game.” Also presented as “Arcade Mode” or “Full-Screen Mode.”

”Tate” is a shortened form of the Japanese verb “tateru,” which means “to stand.” Pronounced “tah-teh,” though the common mispronunciation of “tayte” has gained semi-acceptance. Also commonly spelled with all capital letters (“TATE”), though it is not an acronym.

Yoko: (also Widescreen) Refers to the default viewing mode of certain vertscrollers, which are intended to be displayed on a horizontal screen, and whose playfield, as a result, is fully viewable without the use of TATE mode. Sometimes also called “4:3” shmups, since a horizontal screen’s area is based on a ratio of 4 (width) to 3 (height), as opposed to the “3:4” ratio of vertical screens.

The word “yoko” comes from a Japanese adjective which means “horizontal.”

Indeed, but I meant in the context of Urbanlege's post, in which he used 'tate' as an abbreviation of the english word 'rotate' :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Indeed, but I meant in the context of Urbanlege's post, in which he used 'tate' as an abbreviation of the english word 'rotate' :D

Can't the convergance be sorted out with a Stanley blade and some insulation tape?

Interestingly I'm planning on trying the very same thing tonight my cab has I've a nasty curl in the bottom left of my monitor too.

Will give an update if successful!

IMAG0021_zpse4hdwaem.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nasty curl bottom left, in the above pic??

Andrew76 wrote: »

Yup. Well nasty to my eye. Doesn't look too bad there as I have the right hand side extended off screen!

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »

Thought I was going blind too!

Remember lads, you dont need to strive for 100% perfection. Crts, especially big, flat trinitron ones are prone to having some curl on edges.

I wouldnt go messing with convergence rings unless it was causing fairly noticable picture issues.

urbanledge wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your minds made up anyway!
    so do it!
    More chance of me getting one eventually if theres one in Ireland!

Have you seen the mushiking cabs?
    PurpleC has one.
    Dont know if he posts here anymore tho.Maybe he'd sell it.
    I could email him for you?

What are the mushiking cabs?
    Interesting

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

They're dedicated mini cabs for the game Mushi King.

Some people have converted them to jamma for a tiny cab. They used to be a really cheap way of getting a mini cab but have been creeping up in value the last while.

mushisml.JPG

Here's by far the nicest one out there, converted to a dedicated Ghoul's n Ghosts cab.

(actually this is a Dinoking and not a Mushi king, different game. Same cab though)

Before

dinoconv02.jpg

After

dinoconv37.jpg

Thread about it here

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24770&sid=4f694f13df8966efd54de5d4c79ad972

That ghouls n ghosts cab is eye candy amazing

Thought I was going blind too!

Remember lads, you dont need to strive for 100% perfection. Crts, especially big, flat trinitron ones are prone to having some curl on edges.

I wouldnt go messing with convergence rings unless it was causing fairly noticable picture issues.

Won't be going near the rings. Just trying to see if I can get some improvement with a convergence strip!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

paul79 wrote: »
    That ghouls n ghosts cab is eye candy amazing

Stunning isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

paul79 , I answered you on Nozomi as I totally missed this topic !

Cute looks in pretty good nick I must say with the side art still intact and all the original stickers there, the damage on the CP surround is normal and expected and mine was about the same and a little respray fixed that .
    The CP art and sticker between the speakers look the original rough vinyl so no respray there and the test pattern looks good enough to me .

For the money they demand these days there are nicer and more practical cabs is basically what I advised him on Nozomi, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people still buying them though .
    They sell in a minute on A.O. even at those prices .

Won't be going near the ring

That's what she said..........

Casey120 wrote: »
    paul79 , I answered you on Nozomi as I totally missed this topic !

Cute looks in pretty good nick I must say with the side art still intact and all the original stickers there, the damage on the CP surround is normal and expected and mine was about the same and a little respray fixed that .
    The CP art and sticker between the speakers look the original rough vinyl so no respray there and the test pattern looks good enough to me .

For the money they demand these days there are nicer and more practical cabs is basically what I advised him on Nozomi, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people still buying them though .
    They sell in a minute on A.O. even at those prices .

Just seen and replied to you on nozomi thanks for replying man sent your a reply over there before I seen your post here

So you buying or what?

Master of the Universe

Where's the Cute?! I was promised pictures of a Cute! :D

• Advertisement

I've had a good think about and decided...............

Advertisement