Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade candy cab advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

So guys what you think will i hold off see if I get better, ronnie says he will have some cutes in the next few weeks 1750+shipping or a french seller will also have some he wants 1800+shipping.
    french seller had a beautiful capcom impress I loved went for 1050.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus, the prices really have gone through the roof. As much as I absolutely love cabs, I wouldn't be spending money like that for one with a 19 inch monitor. It just doesn't seem right!

Are you really that stuck for space? 25 inches really is absolutely perfect for 15k games and the footprint on the cabs isn't bad at all.

When my missus first saw my Atomiswave SD she really was overwhelmed. I now have two 25 inch cabs in the kitchen. They seriously are that much smaller.

Space is the enemy of my dream to own a candy cab :'(
    Im living in an apartment so space is limited if I could get the right cab larger one I could store in a mates place,but whats the point of having one and not having it at home to play when you want.
    Oisin whats the atomiswave like?

Master of the Universe

The Atomiswave is gorgeous but it's huge! You really don't get a scale of how big it and the Egret IIs etc are until you see them in person.

They're very stout. Big 29 inch monitor in them. If your space is limited there's zero chance you'll sneak one in unfortunately. Any cab with a 29 inch monitor is going to be too big for ya.

Just to do some size comparisons to show you what you can do with monitor size versus cab size, on the left is a Pony III with a 25 in monitor and on the right is a Cute with a 19 inch monitor.

The cab behind the Pony III is a Pony II 19. Same price/sized monitor (well I think it's in fact 1 inch smaller monitor) as a cute but a good deal smaller.

candies.jpg

Lovely collection drool.

I seen urbanledge's egret so I knew the atmoiswave is also HUGE pity I like that its also tri-sync .
    Looks like the mini cute is my only option what you think of its overall state minus the cp I presume I can respray the cp?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The cab itself looks to be in good condition apart from the CP. yeah it would be easily enough to fix that up.

As the lads said though, the monitor is really hard to judge from those photos. It's definitely something you want to see in the right light. I wouldn't buy it until I get a good photo without the flash on as it's washing it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Be interesting to know what Ronnie wants for an Atomiswave now.

I got a quote from him last year as I toyed with the idea of a second.

Comparing again to the year before and what I paid for my current Atomiswave.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The cab itself looks to be in good condition apart from the CP. yeah it would be easily enough to fix that up.

As the lads said though, the monitor is really hard to judge from those photos. It's definitely something you want to see in the right light. I wouldn't buy it until I get a good photo without the flash on as it's washing it all out.

I have asked him to send pictures of the monitor as the lads advised I will post up asap if/when I receive.
    I appreciate everything lads great pointers and advice.

Whats going rate in recent times for the atomiswave?
    Why have cabs gone up so much in the last year?

Master of the Universe

It would be interesting to see what he wants for an Atomiswave alright.

29 inch cabs seem to be hovering around the same price (especially Astros, 650-750 or thereabouts, I'd say the Atomiswaves are about €700 with a single player CP) but anything smaller has shot up.

Basically for the same reasons as yourself paul79, smaller ones are apartment/wife friendly so everyone wants one! :eek:

Plus to make matters worse, they're older (more modern cabs are all 29 inches) so harder to come across.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

A good price estimate is this.

29 inch cabs €550-€1000. €1000 being extremely sought after ones like the Egret 2, most fall well under that.

25 inch cabs €800-€1300.

19 inch cabs €1250-€1800 apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I love my Atomiswave especially the colour scheme and art over the Egret 3 which is the same cab otherwise.

Size aside There are 2 major things to consider.
    It has no easy monitor rotate mechanism
    There are no official two player panels so you have to get an egret 3 panel or go the repro route. All more cost.

Smaller cabs have shot up in price if bought is resale value going to be good if I want to sell on and get a bigger cab?
    In fairness apart from cp the cab looks in very good condition must ask for a picture of outer glass on cab opening section close up for damage is it glass or plastic?

Master of the Universe

I love my Atomiswave especially the colour scheme and art over the Egret 3 which is the same cab otherwise.

Size aside There are 2 major things to consider.
    It has no easy monitor rotate mechanism
    There are no official two player panels so you have to get an egret 3 panel or go the repro route. All more cost.

Yeah I really love the colour scheme on the Atomiswave. Really suits it, looks really modern.

Did you get a 2 player CP for your one? I had an E3 2 player CP but ended up selling it to a lad in Brazil :D
    paul79 wrote: »
    Smaller cabs have shot up in price if bought is resale value going to be good if I want to sell on and get a bigger cab?
    In fairness apart from cp the cab looks in very good condition must ask for a picture of outer glass on cab opening section close up for damage is it glass or plastic?

The only down side to resale if you happen to live in Ireland is the pool of potential customers.

In the UK you'd get exactly what you paid for it. Over here I'm not so sure, might be a bit harder to move on.

Definitely ask for a pic of the bezel, the more pics the better! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No matter what candy you get, I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to sell on considering there's not many of them about over here. You won't lose money anyway.

Shame you're so stuck for space, cutes are pretty much twice he price as the more common candys. Re: the AWSD/E2/E3 - I wouldn't call them huge. The monitor is big but the footprint of the cab itself isn't that big imo. The cp also comes off very easy to get it in doorways etc. The easy rotate of the cute is cool (assuming you're going to use it) - but that price tag just for a smaller/rarer cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The cute is a very nice looking candy, but it just seems too small. Great for children(small ones at that), not so much for adults I would imagine.

I'd like to pick one up some day, but I don't think I'd play it much.

The Egret 3 size candy is perfect for me, not really that large.

3rus.jpg

I do like the egret and atomiswave and if I had the space thats what I think I would go for.
    As for the cute it is alot of cash for a small cab and the comfort of playing on it that is the dilemma.
    Anyone know what casey120 thinks of his day to day use etc?anybody played on it?

I do like the egret and atomiswave and if I had the space thats what I think I would go for.
    As for the cute it is alot of cash for a small cab and the comfort of playing on it that is the dilemma.
    Anyone know what casey120 thinks of his day to day use etc?anybody played on it?

Not sure how often he's on here, maybe more often on arcadeotaku or shmups if you're a member there too? Here's an old thread I found about the monitor buzzing on the cute - he posted a solution of sorts:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21983

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Atomiswave isn't vast tbh.
    Mine tucks into a spot and looks grand.
    How about an upright cab, the classic kind?
    Or maybe attempt a restoration of one of the little Taito cabs that were floating around.
    I think Kerbdog has one that he gutted.
    A lot of work to be sure but it'd look great, assuming you've space to work on it.

Master of the Universe

I guess the size is all relative really! :)

When I first got an atomiswave I couldnt believe how big it was as I was expecting something far smaller than my wood cab.

Over the year or so I had it, the size deminished.

I got rid of if and got couple of smaller ones so became uses to their size.

Saw the atomiswave then again a year later and got that same sense of 'woah thats big!'

Its crazy to think you can get two (and a half!) atomiswaves for the price of one cute. I know which scenario I'd rather go for (if space wasnt a limitation obviously :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

I think when it comes to a big purchase like this, its important to deal in facts and not feelings.

The egrets/atomiswaves/astros etc are not huge cabinets. To put it into perspective, heres some dimensions;

Capcom Cute
    690 x 500 x 1300 mm

Egret/Atomiswave
    903 x 750 x 1450 mm

Difference (in cm !)
    21.3cm x 25cm x 15cm

See its such a small difference ? But that difference gives you comfort for when you play on it. I'd also suggest you would need that difference in space regardless of what cabinet you plan to buy, as thats pretty much the sort of dimensions 2 people playing side by side would take up, or one really big dude :pac:

Its also important to know the real price of a cabinet, and I see prices being posted sometimes and I really can't believe them.

So more facts :D Ronnie has a Astro City for sale @ €575. Last time I had a cabinet delivered from him it was €250; so thats €825 + you will want to use a stepdown convertor for the voltage. So you'd pick up a decent one for €50. Finally you'll end up wanting to change buttons and sticks for fresh ones, so you'll probably drop a few €€€ on that. All in I'd bet you'd spend €1K

My final word on this is a warning :eek: Beware the arrival of an Arcade Cabinet in the home, as be sure the desire for a 2nd will soon follow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ondafly wrote: »
    So you'd prick up a decent one for €50.

LOL :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Master of the Universe

Just to play devil's advocate (!) it's good to compare numbers but sometimes they be deceiving. So best to look at some picture comparisons too.

Here's a 29 inch Atomiswave beside a SNK candy 18. In numbers it might not look too much different but you can see in practicality it's vastly smaller.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsie1ue1xqrjqgTyL_0JZiFuG-7AQl0ypsm6CmMfv1MW2msBsA

And here's a 29 inch Astro City beside a 25 in SNK Neo Geo.

100_0759.jpg

All depends on the OPs space really. A cute is definitely not optimum when it comes to space versus screen size.

Couple that with the lack of comfort and the insane price and I reckon they're probably best avoided as a main cabinet.

Definitely do try and go as big as you can. If you've the room for an atomiswave/Astro then get one :)

Not sure what the opposite of devil's advocate is (:P) but the only thing you should go by is the numbers - they're the proper dimensions - not how something might look in a photo. The only real difference between the above pics is the cab height, the width and depth are pretty comparable. And the height isn't a factor unless you live in the Shire. :pac:

ondafly speaks the truth about the prices - you at least know the initial outlay of cab + shipping - but you most likely are going to spend more on top of that.

Actually, not sure if you mentioned - what are you going to use the cab for - pcb's or console play or both? There's obviously a cost there too.

It's a proper investment, but well worth it ofc. A cab is an amazing thing.

Master of the Universe

It depends what you've to deal with though :D

There's physical size and there's the perception of size.

If you're just dealing with squeezing a cab into a space then the size itself is all that matters.

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!' or you want it to have a smaller visual impact in a room then perception of size comes into it. (which is what a photo representation will show you)

They're most definitely a big investment alright, mine still bring a smile to my face on a daily basis whenever I see them :)

Sounds to me like your minds made up anyway!
    so do it!
    More chance of me getting one eventually if theres one in Ireland!

Have you seen the mushiking cabs?
    PurpleC has one.
    Dont know if he posts here anymore tho.Maybe he'd sell it.
    I could email him for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

Just to play devil's advocate (!)

No problem - I'll play Phoenix Wright

tumblr_inline_n4iv6t4Zx61qj0upm.gif

When I look at those pictures above in your post. My perception/perspective makes me think of wrist cramp (oh matron:o) and sore knees (oh no you didn't :o:o)

I can't see how you could have a comfortable 2 player game of Street Fighter on them and lets be honest here, the purpose of a Jamma Cabinet is for it to function for lots of differing types & styles of games and if its your first cabinet, you'll certainly want to try out everything on it.

I always think the bigger the screen the more enjoyable the experience is. Hell I want to see my scanlines while I still have eyesight and I think the smaller the monitor the less chance you have of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It depends what you've to deal with though :D

There's physical size and there's the perception of size.

If you're just dealing with squeezing a cab into a space then the size itself is all that matters.

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!' or you want it to have a smaller visual impact in a room then perception of size comes into it. (which is what a photo representation will show you)

They're most definitely a big investment alright, mine still bring a smile to my face on a daily basis whenever I see them :)

I always see that as a confidence booster :D

Master of the Universe

18 in monitor cabs must be extremely cramped for 2 player games alright. But 25s are actually okay.

If you look at AWSDs and Astro CPs, a lot of it is actually taken up with move strip space.

Wrist space is pretty much the distance from the edge of the bottom buttons to the edge of the CP.

If you look at the Astro beside the SNK cab in the above photos, the SNK cab actually had a tiny bit more wrist space believe it or not! :D (Although it does have a couple less buttons)

Lateral space really is the big selling point of 29 inch cabs. They're so roomy!

25 is a bit smaller, but it's not cramped and is still fairly comfortable. I played a good solid 3 hours of 2 player Samurai Showdown and The Last Blade with a mate last weekend and there was zero awkward touching :D

Only thing I had a cramp from was those Japanese stools! I love them but they really have me considering getting something with a back on them.

• Advertisement

If you've a wife who's going to say 'jesus, that thing's huge! get it out of my house!'

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone to be ruled by their misses, thankfully. :pac:

Anyway, whatever price you can afford or size you can accommodate, go for it I say. :cool:

Advertisement