Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oneplus one announced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

jonnny68 wrote: »
    thanks but i think ive tried something similar already and no luck.

ill end up asking some randomer if they'll unlock the bootloader on their pc for me and ill give them the price of s pint or two.

i find it incredible i cant seem to get the drivers working for this phone, every other smartphone ive had there's been zero problems downloading drivers, ive now tried over 10 times and used numerous different methods to no avail, a search online showed me that many other people appear to be having trouble getting drivers to work,tried on xda, the one plus forums, android authority the drivers simply will not work.

You'd think what with Cyanogen being the people behind this phone that you could just click an app and you could root the phone, usually i always root whatever phone i have, i picked up a Landvo L200 and it came pre loaded with super su so you could root, the only thing annoying me is the bloody ads and the fact that i cant use something like greenify, i wouldn't mind flashing a custom ROM to update to Lollipop either when i have this on my 3 year old NEXUS 7 over 3 months now.:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

i find it incredible i cant seem to get the drivers working for this phone

What OS? I have drivers here for XP if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fructus

i find it incredible i cant seem to get the drivers working for this phone, every other smartphone ive had there's been zero problems downloading drivers, ive now tried over 10 times and used numerous different methods to no avail, a search online showed me that many other people appear to be having trouble getting drivers to work,tried on xda, the one plus forums, android authority the drivers simply will not work.

You'd think what with Cyanogen being the people behind this phone that you could just click an app and you could root the phone, usually i always root whatever phone i have, i picked up a Landvo L200 and it came pre loaded with super su so you could root, the only thing annoying me is the bloody ads and the fact that i cant use something like greenify, i wouldn't mind flashing a custom ROM to update to Lollipop either when i have this on my 3 year old NEXUS 7 over 3 months now.:(

My oneplus, talks to my linux, windows 7, windows 8.1 and mac I have checked... no issue from it want so ever... are you sure it not an incorrect driver install on your computer that overriding the default? that has happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Sorry to ask as it has probably been mentioned multiple times, any issues with it working with Vodafone?

Also Is the only different between the 16gb and 64gb oneplus one is the memory?, I'm using a 16gb moto g at the moment and still have 5 GB of memory left so the smaller sized phone would suit me but if there is extras in the 64gb one id have no problem paying the extra

Thanks

Hococop wrote: »
    Sorry to ask as it has probably been mentioned multiple times, any issues with it working with Vodafone?

Also Is the only different between the 16gb and 64gb oneplus one is the memory?, I'm using a 16gb moto g at the moment and still have 5 GB of memory left so the smaller sized phone would suit me but if there is extras in the 64gb one id have no problem paying the extra

Thanks

Currently using it on Vodafone, you have no LTE (4g) because Vodafone don't use any of the same bands as the phone, (same with eircomI think). But seen as you pay extra to get LTE over 3g it doesn't brother me. Also Vodafone are currently testing band 3 so we will great LTE at some point (IT IS COMING!).

When it comes to differences between the 2 phones, the size is the only thing yes. (well and the back) Having said that remember that the use-able space is not 64gb but 54gb because of the OS (i would guess you lose the same amount of space on the 16gb). I have seen on some reviews that the 16gb's back gets dirty looking over time.

Last bit of advice for anyone, if you drop your phones at all GET A CASE! the screen is outside the body which makes it beautiful! but means that the glass and screen are glued together so you break one you break both and that is the end of the touch screen. I know two friends this happened to. Now they got the phone repair and still love the phone, but a case will give you 2mm above your screen to stop the screen hitting the ground hopefully. I case is also a lot cheaper than screen repair. (i use the diztronic case just if your wondering)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dmaguire7

OPO works in LTE 1800 band but not LTE 800. VF have only rolled out 1800 up to now but 800 is coming as hococop says. eircom/Meteror has rolled out both bands, 800 in rural areas & 1800 in urban areas so the OPO will work in the cities basically. 3 use 1800 only so OPO will work on their network too but their coverage is the most limited so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dmaguire7 wrote: »
    OPO works in LTE 1800 band but not LTE 800. VF have only rolled out 1800 up to now but 800 is coming as hococop says. eircom/Meteror has rolled out both bands, 800 in rural areas & 1800 in urban areas so the OPO will work in the cities basically. 3 use 1800 only so OPO will work on their network too but their coverage is the most limited so far

So opo with Vodafone will be poor in the rural area's is that right?. Unfortunately I live out in a rural area so it might be a deal breaker for me :(

Hococop wrote: »
    So opo with Vodafone will be poor in the rural area's is that right?. Unfortunately I live out in a rural area so it might be a deal breaker for me :(

The LTE(4g) will be poor in rural areas, nothing was said about 3g or normal signal (it is as good if not a bit better than my old S2 on reception. So if you use LTE than that will be poor but you can always drop back to 3g for internet in those areas, and deal with slower internet.

So to the best of my knowledge and experience here the run down (remember I am on vodafone) The easiest way to think about it is there 3 different signals floating around the air, (not true, but I am putting it non tech terms)

Calls and Texts reception = As good as I had with a Samsung S2, (it fact it a bit better around my local area)
    3G Internet reception = I would say I have a bit more coverage than with the S2 (but that is a guess)
    LTE (4G) internet (faster internet) = Honestly not sure, talk to Dmaguire7 seem to know the current run down, but do you currently pay extra and use LTE? cause if you don't it doesn't matter to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dmaguire7

Hi Guys,

If you're VF and buy the OPO and are rural then you will have to rely on their 3G coverage for internet access, the VF 3G network is good so you should get pretty good speeds. Don't pay the extra for their 4G service until either 1) VF rollout LTE in 800 band or 2) the OPO is upgraded to support 800 (band 20) or they launch the OP2 which will support LTE in 800

hope that helps

/d

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im seriously considering getting one of these. Im currently on Meteor, will there be any issue with using my Sim in it etc?

Also can some explain the best way to get this delivered once/if I get an invite? I would have to use Parcel Motel I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

joe123 wrote: »
    Im seriously considering getting one of these. Im currently on Meteor, will there be any issue with using my Sim in it etc?

Also can some explain the best way to get this delivered once/if I get an invite? I would have to use Parcel Motel I presume?

I use it on eMobile and it works perfect speeds in Dublin are unreal. I used Parcel Motel arrived pretty quickly. As long as you have the right sized sim you shouldn't have any problem.

My mate is on Meteor with it currently, no issue everything works great. Takes a micro sim, if you don't have one just want into any meteor when you get the phone and they will sort you out. (side note mine came with a tray for both micro and nano sim cards, haven't tried nano because I had the micro already to go)

I used parcel motel, order 8pm Friday night was in my hands 7:30am Thursday, parcel motel had it on Wednesday and it was in the depo at 6am.
    joe123 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

fructus wrote: »
    My oneplus, talks to my linux, windows 7, windows 8.1 and mac I have checked... no issue from it want so ever... are you sure it not an incorrect driver install on your computer that overriding the default? that has happened to me

the only possible thing could be that most of the PC's ive tried on have been in internet cafes as i dont have a PC ,maybe that might be the issue although anytime i downloaded drivers for any of my other previous smartphones i always done it in internet cafes as ive not used a PC or ,laptop in a few years but the drivers always installed and recognised my phone, i even tried to plug my NEXUS 7 in last week whilst in an internet cafe and it recognised hat but not the OPO, i just use a Samsung chromebook and Nexus 7 but both of those are no good for downloading drivers, although i have tried on 2 peoples PC one was running XP and the other 8.1 and no luck, ive tried numerous drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled and no luck.:confused:

the only possible thing could be that most of the PC's ive tried on have been in internet cafes as i dont have a PC ,maybe that might be the issue although anytime i downloaded drivers for any of my other previous smartphones i always done it in internet cafes as ive not used a PC or ,laptop in a few years but the drivers always installed and recognised my phone, i even tried to plug my NEXUS 7 in last week whilst in an internet cafe and it recognised hat but not the OPO, i just use a Samsung chromebook and Nexus 7 but both of those are no good for downloading drivers, although i have tried on 2 peoples PC one was running XP and the other 8.1 and no luck, ive tried numerous drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled and no luck.:confused:

That is really weird. both me and my mate have the OPO and I we have used them to get files from each other just pluging them in.. come to think about it we have always used OPO cable just cause it is handy... have you used there cable.. made they have wired it up weird.. (I am just guess, here not really sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

I have an opo. Got it in June. hardware wise its prob the best smartphone I've ever owned and I've had smartphones since early Nokia's then moved to touch screen on iPhone 3g.
    software wise its definitely the best. it doesn't lag, it doesn't crash and it doesn't reboot for absolutely no reason. its battery is an animal and it charges really fast.

I simply cannot say enough good about it. massive storage is also nice.

you cab buy one direct if you have an invite which at this stage are easy enough to get. simply register on the UK site and give them your parcel motel address. it'll set you back about 340 euro with sterling conversion and parcel motel fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

oh and as for lte band its fine for Ireland. I was with meteor when I got it and I simply popped my sim in no need for any adjustment. I've since changed to emobile (yes I know same company) and again with emobile sim no need to adjust anything setting wise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I got the OPO a few months ago, but lost it just before Christmas. Ordered another there today, was lucky to get an invite here on boards.

I can't remember the delivery time though, I chose standard delivery. It should be here before the 15th? Or maybe arrive on the 15th?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Does anyone know where can get one of these phones repaired thanks in Dublin/bray area

Does anyone know where can get one of these phones repaired thanks in Dublin/bray area

The only way I know of is to ship it back to oneplus. I friend smashed his screen said it cost him 150 euros after shipping and repair etc. but I would try the small phone shops maybe one of them can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks for the reply
    My husband has one we were out for a walk I just hit off him it fell and broker thank good he had an old phone for now
    Not sure what he will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 msmyth91

Hi guys. Would appreciate any help given. Registered one OPO website ages ago. Got an email today with an invitation to buy one. But they dont ship to Ireland. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

msmyth91 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Would appreciate any help given. Registered one OPO website ages ago. Got an email today with an invitation to buy one. But they dont ship to Ireland. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Buy it was the UK, (bottom right of the page change the flag to the uk one) Than ship it via parcel motel, That Is what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hex

Currently studying in Lyon, France. Ordered mine Tuesday night, paid the 6e extra for DHL Express and received it this morning. Great speed but I have to say it wasn't packaged very well, the boxes for the phone, case and charger were only in a plastic bag, no packing peanuts or airbags or anything. Won't get a chance to set it up until this evening but that kind of threw me a little. Should be fine!

//Yep running perfectly, really gorgeous phone. Would recommend to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would it be worth waiting for the OnePlus 2 to come out or is the One the "one" to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CathalK182

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would it be worth waiting for the OnePlus 2 to come out or is the One the "one" to get?

I got it at Christmas and so far there have been no problems so if you can get one I would say go for it. We still don't know when the oneplus 2 is coming out so you could be waiting a while if you decide to hold out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Contract is up either next month or March so thinking about it then, the price is great!

Mc Love wrote: »

They have not even show us, concept art so I would guess it is a long way off, like no information other than if will be smaller than the OPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emhop

Anyone looking for an invite? For the Black 64gb??
    I'm not ready to buy yet unfortunately so if anyone wants the code

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was someone in one of the other threads looking this morning I think, on a phone now so cant check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 emhop

Ok I'll have a scan, thanks!!

Advertisement