Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave thugs mount daring rescue mission for scummy friend

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

DrumSteve wrote: »
    If you've never been how can you make a judgement on it?

Broaden your horizons a bit there, its not a junkies paradise up here anymore than Limerick is stab city.

I am not making a judgement on it. You provided the list and said implied that tourists would not come if they couldn't visit Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

+1 This is exactly the points that the Dubs don't get. Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't make it right. We have a small country and a small capital city - we can sort this, it can be fixed. If the 1st impression of Ireland is Dublin, the onus is on us to protect that 1st impression to safeguard the tourism industry. If I had my way, tourists would only be allowed land in Shannon, Cork, Knock and never be allowed past the Dublin (and Kildare) border.

Wow way to generalise much? Maybe come down off your cork pedestal and walk among us mere mortals from the rest of the country once in a while without a massive chip on your shoulder?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wow way to generalise much? Maybe come down off your cork pedestal and walk among us mere mortals from the rest of the country once in a while without a massive chip on your shoulder?

I have only been to Cork city twice in my life. I lived in Dublin for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I am not making a judgement on it. You provided the list and said implied that tourists would not come if they couldn't visit Dublin.

That wasn't me, that was someone else.
    Ah will you stop...it isn't about tourist attractions and footfall in a few particular places. Ireland is about driving around country roads, feeling relaxed, stopping in at lovely towns & pubs for some tasty grub, feeling safe, feeling like you got value for money, feeling welcome, feeling like you want to come back etc etc. It is driving the Dingle peninsula, stopping off at Inch, Dingle, Dunquin, climbing Mount Brandon, walking miles along an empty beach, eating the tastiest seafood you ever had, drinking creamy pints, lively music, great chat etc. It is driving out of Galway to Connemara and stopping off in Roundstone, Clifden, Leenane taking in the breath-taking scenery...crossing into Mayo, into lovely Westport, up the reek, cycling to Achill...magic....

It isn't about visiting the GUINNESS FCUKING STOREHOUSE (and getting abused by some skanger on the Luas on the way back)!

That looks like a judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ah will you stop...it isn't about tourist attractions and footfall in a few particular places. Ireland is about driving around country roads, feeling relaxed, stopping in at lovely towns & pubs for some tasty grub, feeling safe, feeling like you got value for money, feeling welcome, feeling like you want to come back etc etc. It is driving the Dingle peninsula, stopping off at Inch, Dingle, Dunquin, climbing Mount Brandon, walking miles along an empty beach, eating the tastiest seafood you ever had, drinking creamy pints, lively music, great chat etc. It is driving out of Galway to Connemara and stopping off in Roundstone, Clifden, Leenane taking in the breath-taking scenery...crossing into Mayo, into lovely Westport, up the reek, cycling to Achill...magic....

It isn't about visiting the GUINNESS FCUKING STOREHOUSE (and getting abused by some skanger on the Luas on the way back)!

And yet not even 20% of those who visit the Guinness Store House bother their arse with Croagh Patrick. Even less than that visit Connemera. You can get all misty eyed about lovely scenery and Sally O'Brien and way she might look at you, but the tourists coming to Ireland want the Guinness Storehouse, they want the National Gallery of Ireland, they want the Botanic Gardens and Kilmainham Gaol and above all they want to spend their time in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I have only been to Cork city twice in my life. I lived in Dublin for 5 years.

Fair enough but generalising that "This is exactly the points that the Dubs don't get" is fvcking sh1te im from dublin and have lived here all my life. Im not okay with any of this stuff going on. I avoid going into the city at any chance I get because of it. And the vast majority of my dubliner friends arent too happy with it either. Its not dubliners attitude to it thats the problem its the gardai, the courts and the government that are to blame

And yet not even 20% of those who visit the Guinness Store House bother their arse with Croagh Patrick. Even less than that visit Connemera. You can get all misty eyed about lovely scenery and Sally O'Brien and way she might look at you, but the tourists coming to Ireland want the Guinness Storehouse, they want the National Gallery of Ireland, they want the Botanic Gardens and Kilmainham Gaol and above all they want to spend their time in Dublin.

Not anymore, if that's the case I doubt they will come back. Dublin city is deteriorating year on year and the longer we spend debating that fact, the longer it will take to fix. Next big tourist attraction will be Nidge's house.

Not anymore, if that's the case I doubt they will come back. Dublin city is deteriorating year on year and the longer we spend debating that fact, the longer it will take to fix. Next big tourist attraction will be Nidge's house.

You know his house isn't real right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Yeah but it's not a ****hole.

Sections of it can be bad, but as a whole it's a pretty nice city.
    It's hardly like the Crips and the Bloods now is it?

You don't have to accept it, make representations to your local politician the next time they come to your door that you find the inner city crime rate unacceptable.

I don't think it's okay either, but i'm not going to over-react considering I worked off O'Connell Street for 5 years I'd have a bit of experience in the area.

I see you work around Oconnell st.
    So then it becomes clear. You have become immune to what you see because its an everyday experience.

I used to travel in and out fairly regularly from airport. One of the first places the bus stops is the chipper on Oconnell st. Ive witnessed from the bus, drug deals, fighting, people brandishing knifes, beggers hassling tourists getting off.

drunks, druggies, junkies ,beggars, scummers, all out on show everytime of the day when one of the first impressions of the city tourists get when they get off the bus will be of these bolloxises.

What a lovely sight. First impressions last by the way, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You know his house isn't real right?

Even if it was, it's just a semi-d in Castleknock. Always thought with all his money he should have had something a bit bigger.

• Advertisement

Even if it was, it's just a semi-d in Castleknock. Always thought with all his money he should have had something a bit bigger.

Yeah, he's a bit of a disappointment like that is Nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

whupdedo wrote: »
    Ireland can do fine without the defence forces bleeding it dry with a massive amount of money being spent every year on what can only be described as wasters
    no it can't, their not bleeding anyone dry, just except it, they didn't want you you weren't good enough
    I'd have more respect for them but the army is full of begrudgers who couldn't make it in the real world
    lol, your the only begrudger around here
    they should join a proper army like British defence forces or the us defence forces
    no, irish people should not be able to join those 2 forces of evil and murder

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

no it can't, their not bleeding anyone dry, just except it, they didn't want you you weren't good enough

lol, your the only begrudger around here

no, irish people should not be able to join those 2 forces of evil and murder

I know all i need to know about you by your last sentence:D

Oh and I never tried to join the army, I have a work ethic, I'd never be able to sit around on someone else's euro

• Site Banned Posts: 86 ✭✭Pixie69

Anto
    Damo

C'mere

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

If you've never been how can you make a judgement on it?

Broaden your horizons a bit there, its not a junkies paradise up here anymore than Limerick is stab city.

Maybe not a junkies paradise, but based on my own personal 'tourist' experience, it's one of the nastiest cities I've visited. Maybe I hit it on a bad weekend, but I saw quite a lot of violence around the city centre, and a noticeable absence of gardai. It would definitely put me off visiting again.

Some poster on here earlier pointed out that this is a national issue. I wholeheartedly agree. As so many tourists visit Dublin, we need to sort this out. If we can't, then Bord Failte should do their utmost to promote other parts of the island instead. Parts where tourists are less likely to go home with horror stories about violence on the streets and non existent policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

kupus wrote: »
    I see you work around Oconnell st.
    So then it becomes clear. You have become immune to what you see because its an everyday experience.

I used to travel in and out fairly regularly from airport. One of the first places the bus stops is the chipper on Oconnell st. Ive witnessed from the bus, drug deals, fighting, people brandishing knifes, beggers hassling tourists getting off.

drunks, druggies, junkies ,beggars, scummers, all out on show everytime of the day when one of the first impressions of the city tourists get when they get off the bus will be of these bolloxises.

What a lovely sight. First impressions last by the way, whether you like it or not.

Nice lookin new Gelateria now open on O Connell St Southbound (50% Coffee Discount to DIT Students :eek:) ....very pleasant,and photogenic Staff...kinda "Continental" blás about it......Anybody care to offer odds on how long before an "Incident" here forces it to drop the "Continental" bit...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Place is gone to **** since Fine Gael got in Shatter ha! Less Guards wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Another incident in the city centre.
    http://balls.ie/news/liffey-boardwalk-fight/

Again, this is just off O'Connell Bridge. The boardwalk is suppose to be a place where locals and tourists alike can gather and enjoy the City. The chairs are now being used as weapons by the lowborns to fight with :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

That's kinda sad, maybe the man that was stealing the bar was of good faith and was not a abusive scumbag. maybe, he was a homeless drug addict. note: people should know there's a difference between drug addicts and anti-social abusive scumbags(the thugs that go out assaulting,hurting,etc others on the street)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Could it be heroin addicts who were after the foil? There are reports of shops refusing to stock KitKats because of this.

kitkats don't have foil anymore ;)

How Garda resources are deployed needs to be looked at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement