Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave thugs mount daring rescue mission for scummy friend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

not as many as would if you started arming business owners and eventually everyone, because once you give business owners the right to guns then everyone has to get that right, or nobody apart from the few who currently have to go through a strict licencing system

wrong

pepper spray will do the trick, the ordinary citizens cannot be allowed to have or trusted with guns
    There is well over two hundred thousand licenced firearms in the state. Who do you think owns these, if not 'ordinary citizens'?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

These kind of people are well known to the guards but they are limited in what they can do with them.

Two scummers pulled a knife on me a couple of years back (I'm a 4'11 female, they were two males mid 30's) trying to rob me. I took them by surprise and roared at them and they dropped the knife and ran away down the street. The guards did pick the guys up in the car but they were back on the street again within the hour. I regularly see them around town even now.

We may need to look at the sentences that are given to such criminals as there seems to be a lot of antisocial behaviour that goes unpunished, probably due to over crowded prisons. I do know that day the gardai were very helpful and kind to me but were just very limited in what they could do. I actually felt bad for them as they were so lovely and apologetic for the incident happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

DominoDub wrote: »
    Never mind a Kit Kat bar ...they also going into shops to clean their needles in the Fresh Citrus Fruit.:(

From an Old Mirror Story

Hard to believe bearing in mind there has been needle exchanges in Ireland for years which provide brand new sterile needles , swabs , sterile water and citric acid.They also provide foil for addicts who smoke their heroin and encourage addicts not to use lemon juice in place of citric acid because of a risk of a fungal infection which can cause blindness.

I've worked in drug services for years and would know a lot of city centre addicts and have never heard of them ever sticking a syringe used or otherwise into a piece of fruit.

Nothing like a bit of sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

conorhal wrote: »
    . Thus I was politely informed that I'd rung the wrong station and I'd have to call sombody else...... :rolleyes:
    If you ring the emergency number, the incident is logged, and a report has to be made of the response. It will also be up to the responder to contact the right station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

kub wrote: »
    I would love it if we could do this here in this country, but we can't. The Gardai now are restricted in what force they can use on scummers as they may be prosecuted by GSOC.

Agreed, however:

Cops in the US can be prosecuted if they use too much force, and they're ALL armed. Three quarters of Gardaí don't have that problem. In a way the cops in the US are almost easier to look after - if you attack a cop, you are liable to be shot. Shooting someone is fairly final.

Here, on the other hand, if you attack a Garda, all sorts of questions get asked about how much force was used in return, whether a baton should have been used, whether the pepper spray was too aggresive for poor wee Jimmy who was trying to beat up the Garda.

It should be this simple: if you're stupid enough attack a Garda, you get put on the ground and your threat to them stopped by whatever means necessary. Period.
    Then we have our judicial system where there is too many vested interests with the likes of defence solicitors and barristers gaining in business terms from the actions of such scum by the fantastic free legal aid scheme.
    Ps i am all for first/ second time offenders benefiting from free legal aid but the way we now have career criminals still getting it is a joke.

I agree with the free legal aid scheme. The problem is not the solicitors. The problem is the judiciary. I've no doubt the Gardaí are doing the very best they can given the societal restrictions placed on them by generations of "ah it'll be grand".

Remember: any crime that does not carry a maximum sentence of two years or more does not require a jury. Judges are free to hand down sentences once they are convinced beyond doubt that the person is guilty. They need to start doing this.

As for sentencing, it's simple. Take the example of the Sheriff of Maricopa County, Phoenix, Arizona - his inmates wear pink stripes, are accommodated in the baking heat all day every day, and don't get let out early. Why? Because it acts as a deterrent.

The judiciary here are effectively feeding the scumbags by ignoring the problem, but the problem also lies with policing. They all need to be arrested and some of them, if a case can be proven, will go to jail. I can't see Gardaí fighting to arrest every little scrote when they know they'll be out hours later. Not that I blame the Gardaí, it's a society issue. Why? Because we're too easy going and because jails are overflowing.

How to fix? Again, this simple:

1. Increase jail capacity. How? The Army. The Army in this country is good for two things: ceremony and peacekeeping. Only because it is utterly neglected and under-equipped. However, what they have in abundance is spare time and guns. Set up prison camps if need be, and have them provide security, until we can afford to build a couple of extra medium security prisons.

2. Sentence people who deserve jail to jail. The problem is not with the legal system, or whether the scumbags are guilty or innocent, it's with the morons who are sentencing them.

3. Rinse, repeat. Problem solved. Cost? €0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I think it's pretty clear what we need... we need Batman to come to Dublin. I can just imagine him gliding in and knocking all those little ****s out. Perfect.

You do know that batman was not a documentary, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Thats over 30 years or so. Would be a dull Tuesday for Scotland yard.

You are right though, because no Police force is perfect what we need is softly softly approaches to teenage racist thugs beating the crap our of Chinese owners, kicking the siht out of Brazilians with hats and whatever poor non-white sap is trying to do a bit of work in Spar in the city centre.

Any other response would be FASCISM pure and simple.

Neither Kieran Boylan,Donegal, the penalty points, The Bailey frame up, the whistle blowers, are 30 years old they are late 20th and current 21st century corruption by an institutionally corrupt and inept dysfunctional garda force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I think it's pretty clear what we need... we need Batman to come to Dublin. I can just imagine him gliding in and knocking all those little ****s out. Perfect.

Neither Batman nor Spider-Man would be any good in Dublin because it's too low rise. They'd be able to jump and swing around a bit near liberty hall but that's it. We need superman but I think he's made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hard to believe bearing in mind there has been needle exchanges in Ireland for years which provide brand new sterile needles , swabs , sterile water and citric acid.They also provide foil for addicts who smoke their heroin and encourage addicts not to use lemon juice in place of citric acid because of a risk of a fungal infection which can cause blindness.

I've worked in drug services for years and would know a lot of city centre addicts and have never heard of them ever sticking a syringe used or otherwise into a piece of fruit.

Nothing like a bit of sensationalism.

was only in a city centre boozer there last month and a junkie came in looking to buy slices of lemon

Presumably he was caught short for the G&Ts while holding a drinks reception :p

Neither Batman nor Spider-Man would be any good in Dublin because it's too low rise. They'd be able to jump and swing around a bit near liberty hall but that's it. We need superman but I think he's made up.

What about those Turtles from a few years back ? Ninja lads I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Neither Kieran Boylan,Donegal, the penalty points, The Bailey frame up, the whistle blowers, are 30 years old they are late 20th and current 21st century corruption by an institutionally corrupt and inept dysfunctional garda force.

You're blaming the entire force. Most of that is outside Dublin, Donegal and Bailey were decades ago. Boylan? We all know they have informants.

Anyways I agree with inept. Given the story here they are inept, corruption is relatively minor though.

That said let's have a proper city police force.

Bambi wrote: »
    was only in a city centre boozer there last month and a junkie came in looking to buy slices of lemon

Presumably he was caught short for the G&Ts while holding a drinks reception :p

Lemon juice for pancakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sdeire wrote: »
    As for sentencing, it's simple. Take the example of the Sheriff of Maricopa County, Phoenix, Arizona - his inmates wear pink stripes, are accommodated in the baking heat all day every day, and don't get let out early. Why? Because it acts as a deterrent.
    it doesn't act as a deterrent, very very wrong i'm afraid
    Increase jail capacity. How? The Army. The Army in this country is good for two things: ceremony and peacekeeping. Only because it is utterly neglected and under-equipped. However, what they have in abundance is spare time and guns. Set up prison camps if need be, and have them provide security, until we can afford to build a couple of extra medium security prisons.
    not the armies job, find the money to build extra prison places or put up.
    Problem solved.
    no crime problem is ever solved
    Cost? €0.
    how will it cost nothing, it has to cost something, the army don't have the space for these people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jesus Christ, the sooner they ban kit kats altogether the better, people are being driven mad by that much chocolate and wafer in one go.

I saw one guy mashing together a Yorkie with an ice cream wafer just to get a KitKat hit. The look in his eyes was unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It should be this simple: if you're stupid enough attack a Garda, you get put on the ground and your threat to them stopped by whatever means necessary. Period.
    The upshot of that is that Gardai will be given license to assault anyone they feel like, and then just lie about in court. They commit perjury routinely.

I agree with the free legal aid scheme. The problem is not the solicitors. The problem is the judiciary. I've no doubt the Gardaí are doing the very best they can given the societal restrictions placed on them by generations of "ah it'll be grand".

Gardai are a major part of the "ah it'll be grand" culture that sees any change as unnecessary interference.

Remember: any crime that does not carry a maximum sentence of two years or more does not require a jury. Judges are free to hand down sentences once they are convinced beyond doubt that the person is guilty. They need to start doing this.

No, it wouldn't. What it might do is take in petty, misguided stupid thieves who just need to grow up, and release them after a few years as violent sociopaths who will never fit into society. (well, that's what our prisons do already, with heroin supplied by the guards)
    Because we're too easy going and because jails are overflowing.
    How are both possible?

How to fix? Again, this simple:
    1. Increase jail capacity. How? The Army. The Army in this country is good for two things: ceremony and peacekeeping. Only because it is utterly neglected and under-equipped. However, what they have in abundance is spare time and guns. Set up prison camps if need be, and have them provide security, until we can afford to build a couple of extra medium security prisons.
    You need more than spare time and guns to set up a decentprison system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Ship criminals out to leafy parts of Foxrock where the judiciary live and the Judges won't be long handing out stiffer sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Great idea. They should reduce the army by half (they are overpaid do-nothings anyway) and convert some of the barracks to prisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

if they legalized the kit kats it would drive the criminals out of business , those knock off Aldi ones contain bath salts and laundry detergent . Free the kats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This is just another example of the centre of our capital city being policed badly.

There's a very easy way to deal with this.

1. Create a task force of 40-50 Gardaí, 10 or so on shift round the clock.
    2. Arm them all with tasers too.
    3. Enforce ZERO tolerance on antisocial behaviour, public drug use, public drunkenness, everything, within the canal ring - arrest and straight to court with anyone commiting any offence.
    4. Taze any scumbag who so much as resists or threatens the Gardaí.

Problem solved in a month. Minimal cost.

Use NYC as an example.

Pretty sure you'd need a lot more than 40-50 to deal with that. You'd need that just to deal with people leaving Coppers on Harcourt street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

bear1 wrote: »
    Don't know if letting the Guards have guns would resolve anything....

I think he meant give the Guards bear arms, let them claw the faces off these scummy f*ckers. Would also be useful for harvesting honey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Fascinating to see the defenders of the status quo come out on this thread with the same old useless arguments. "It can't be stopped, they need help" all the same tired ould shyte. If everything we are doing has failed then do something new. The first prerequisite of which is the defenders of the current failed drug treatment, policing and sentencing policies shut the f**k up. That allows space for new thinking. And be prepared to faced the problem head on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Thank Christ I live in the country, the only scum bag that lived in the village is trying to join the foreign Legion, so hopefully he will be accepted and get shot in the back of the head in some African banana Republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Tzardine wrote: »
    We need the same zero tolerance approach from the Gardai that was used to clean up New York.

Time to take our city back from these scum bags.

Lived in NY in the late 90's when they started the clean up and zero tolerance policy. For it to work here we would need leadership in the Giuliani mould and sadly we lack that in nearly every facet of our society today. The do-gooders rule the roost and the scum are in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Lived in NY in the late 90's when they started the clean up and zero tolerance policy. For it to work here we would need leadership in the Giuliani mould and sadly we lack that in nearly every facet of our society today. The do-gooders rule the roost and the scum are in control.

I was trying to compare recent incidents in Temple bar to times square(both horribly trashy tourist hotspots).
    If anyone tried to start any trouble at all in times square, i would give it 60 seconds before they were swarmed with cops. They wouldn't get a polite "move on" either

But in fairness, there was a huge public outcry for NYC to get its act together. People in ireland are too passive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

O'Connell street was surprisingly junkie free this evening after some media attention today. I hope it lasts but doubt it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I don't think you need to give them guns, tasers or additional powers.

The fact is the city center seems regularly devoid of any police presence whatsoever. Most evenings I walk from Stephen's Green down to Eden quay and very rarely see any sort of Garda presence. Any other major city I've been to, there would always be a police presence around the city center.

The most common sighting of Gardai in the city center I've seen recently have been at around 8am as they go around waking up homeless people telling them to move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

if they legalized the kit kats it would drive the criminals out of business , those knock off Aldi ones contain bath salts and laundry detergent . Free the kats

:pac: YEAH

Free Kat
    Free Kat
    Free Kat
    Free Kat

Rabble Rabble Rabble

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Great idea. They should reduce the army by half (they are overpaid do-nothings anyway) and convert some of the barracks to prisons.
    wrong, nonsense, our boys do fantastic work, peace keeping and when the **** hits the fan here such as floods our boys are always there to help

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

mike65 wrote: »
    I present my one size fits all (skangers) solution

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84943817&postcount=1

I would add to your suggestion of sterilisation and accompany it with free Lobotomies for all skangers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

mike65 wrote: »
    I present my one size fits all (skangers) solution

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84943817&postcount=1

I endorse this plan.

Advertisement