Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave thugs mount daring rescue mission for scummy friend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

bear1 wrote: »
    Don't know if letting the Guards have guns would resolve anything....

Oh my God we can't give the guards guns. They'd end up shooting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Tzardine wrote: »
    We need the same zero tolerance approach from the Gardai that was used to clean up New York.
    yeah, New York, a city which has more police money and other resources then the whole of ireland will ever have, so you can forget it, zero tolerance would be unenforcable in ireland

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    All that would happen then ,Is they would sue the shop owner, And more than likely Win :eek:

That may be true but still............would have changed the whole situation though and made them ALL feel like spas......plus it would have made the video a classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sdeire wrote: »
    This is just another example of the centre of our capital city being policed badly.

There's a very easy way to deal with this.

1. Create a task force of 40-50 Gardaí, 10 or so on shift round the clock.
    2. Arm them all with tasers too.
    3. Enforce ZERO tolerance on antisocial behaviour, public drug use, public drunkenness, everything, within the canal ring - arrest and straight to court with anyone commiting any offence.
    4. Taze any scumbag who so much as resists or threatens the Gardaí.

Problem solved in a month. Minimal cost.

Use NYC as an example.
    the problem won't be solved in a month, it won't be solved full stop, NYC is irrelevant, different culture and way of doing things, more money and resources then we will ever have, stop comparing ireland to america, we will never be able to afford the type of police force they have

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pity it's illegal for shop owners / workers to take any meaningful measures to combat that sort of stuff, really. The only option they have is to close the door and hope that Gardai show up =/

Personally, I wouldn't work, especially at evening time; in a city centre shop unless I had at the very least a can of strong pepper spray on me. Seriously there's a Garda station, what.. like a 5 minute walk from there, and it took them 20 minutes to arrive? That's just beyond terrible when it comes to response times. It's a wonder that someone wasn't seriously injured or worse considering that several onlookers stepped in to try and stop the chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

sdeire wrote: »
    This is just another example of the centre of our capital city being policed badly.

There's a very easy way to deal with this.

1. Create a task force of 40-50 Gardaí, 10 or so on shift round the clock.
    2. Arm them all with tasers too.
    3. Enforce ZERO tolerance on antisocial behaviour, public drug use, public drunkenness, everything, within the canal ring - arrest and straight to court with anyone commiting any offence.
    4. Taze any scumbag who so much as resists or threatens the Gardaí.

Problem solved in a month. Minimal cost.

Use NYC as an example.

Exactly. Why does this seem like such a big deal to government or whoever has the power to do this? Also, I have seen in the UK they have temporary cells in a big truck to hold people for a few hours which would be handy for little knackers.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You should look at the injustices committed in NYC with their 3 strike rule. They certainly don't arrest anybody who is drinking in the street or drunk in NYC.

Police here do assault people regularly and then lie in court if it gets there. If you are going to insist on Tasers I would want to insist on cams on the Gardaí while doing their duties. Don't ever forget the Gardaí attacked civilians on the street hiding their badges and refusing to give evidence against each other.

Look fair enough but it is this attitude that has our system so soft in the first place. I don't want the place to be policed like the states as it is too much power for the police there but a middle ground would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

People should look at where their tax is actually going. Your paying for doctors, barristers, judges, politicians, a massive social welfare bill.

The money isn't being used properly because it's all a big game for a few to get obscene wages for doing IMO a **** job. Nothing will change as who wants to rock the boat?
    It's the middle class eejits like me funding this circus.

**** like that video goes on everyday, and is a result of just piss poor government and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

There is a garda station no more than 100 yards up the road on O'Connell Street.

This is on O'Connell Street, just at the spire. One of the most heavily populated tourist areas in the country and we have skangers kicking doors down and hurling racist abuse at a security man doing his job.

This is the scale of the problem on O'Connell Street. What planet are the relevant authorities on if they do not feel we have a huge problem with O'Connell Street and surrounding areas.

Anything to do with O'Connell Street is not a local issue, its a national issue or at least a county issue. But of course, we were undemocratic-ally denied the right to vote on a mayor that can be held accountable for these issues. O'Connell Street is deemed a Dublin City Council Issue. Its much more important than that.

Couldn't agree more. I walk up it every day to Parnell square. 3 times a week after 9.30pm and its full of junkies. Harrassing people and looking for trouble. 3 Garda stations within a mile of it and they cannot control it??

You're right it is a national issue. Our countries main street and main tourist drop off point in the City Centre. Our reputation as a tourist destination will suffer with the state of the place. There will be economic loss as a result. Government need to take notice instead of hauling the GAA over tv deals.

And it is getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Kit Kat hasn't used tin foil for quite a while. Must be a couple of years

Kit Kat still use foil to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

It pisses me off how commonly stuff like this happens in town. I know that Spar, there's a Garda station a few minutes walk from there so it's baffling that it took so long for a response, especially considering how dangerous a position the shop staff were in.

I've seen scumbags start on the security guard in the other Spar on O'Connell Street (on the opposite side of the street to this one, near the 123 bus stop) and I've also seen the staff in Spar on Grafton Street dealing with junkies trying to steal coffee and/or hot water from the hot drinks machine and the staff all know them. It's the same people over and over again, and don't even get me started on the shit that goes down on Talbot Street because of these scummers.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that other scummers completely unconnected to this then decided to get involved, it seems like some kind of tribal thing. And what the fcuk is with your one shouting "go back to your own country" to the shop staff. No one is on her side on this, and nationality is irrelevant. How deluded is she? Yeah, yeah, of course, make the guy who just so happens to be from a different country leave so we can keep all of you loveable scamps who have completely fcuked up the main thoroughfare of the city. Not the shop staff who pay taxes, contribute to society and hilariously enough are probably funding whatever benefits your grubby hands are getting, we want to keep you instead. Seriously. All because of this arbitrary thing called nationality.

(As you can tell I'm in town on a daily basis, might seem like a long-winded rant bit this has been going on for years with next to no improvement.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yesterday was the first time I've actually seen the gardai on that side of Dublin (before the bridge) and they weren't 'patrolling' or whatever you call it, they were looking for someone specific, plain clothes gardai. That side is certainly badly policed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Kit Kat still use foil to this day.

Show me one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Police here do assault people regularly and then lie in court if it gets there. If you are going to insist on Tasers I would want to insist on cams on the Gardaí while doing their duties. Don't ever forget the Gardaí attacked civilians on the street hiding their badges and refusing to give evidence against each other.

So the moral of your story is we just put up with this sh!t in the middle of our city.

So the moral of your story is we just put up with this sh!t in the middle of our city.

Exactly..this is the mentality in this country...the poor scumbags! This is part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

It pisses me off how commonly stuff like this happens in town. I know that Spar, there's a Garda station a few minutes walk from there so it's baffling that it took so long for a response, especially considering how dangerous a position the shop staff were in.

A few people have mentioned that station, but it closed over a decade ago, it's not a station, these days it's a CCTV monitoring station. The closest is Pearse St. Station, but they, as I discovered when I called to report a homeless guy getting his head kicked in by a bunch of junkies, won't dispatch a car from their because O' Connell St. is Store Street's patch. Thus I was politely informed that I'd rung the wrong station and I'd have to call sombody else...... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Whats even more funny is the woman shouting 'go back to your own country' yet the taxes he is paying, you can be guaranteed goes towards every state benefit she is on (she's on all of em I bet).

Every time I walk down O'Connell street I'm mortified to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think we need to stage a public execution in front of the GPO in broad daylight with other potential scumbags looking on.Perhaps round a few from the Joy and have them shot by firing squad.

Then make it clear that the shootings will continue until such behaviour ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think we need to stage a public execution in front of the GPO in broad daylight with other potential scumbags looking on.Perhaps round a few from the Joy and have them shot by firing squad.

Then make it clear that the shootings will continue until morale shall improve.

Or send them off to some remote island off the coast, no way for them to get back into society then.

conorhal wrote: »
    A few people have mentioned that station, but it closed over a decade ago, it's not a station, these days it's a CCTV monitoring station. The closest is Pearse St. Station, but they, as I discovered when I called to report a homeless guy getting his head kicked in by a bunch of junkies, won't dispatch a car from their because O' Connell St. is Store Street's patch. Thus I was politely informed that I'd rung the wrong station and I'd have to call sombody else...... :rolleyes:

Fair enough, I was mistaken about the police station being on O'Connell Street. But that just begs the question of why isn't there one there anymore.

That makes absolutely no sense. Yay for bureaucracy. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

great idea one flaw

they arrive in court and are out half an hour later

Yep.... in this case the evidence was Wafer Thin

Get's Coat
    :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Or send them off to some remote island off the coast, no way for them to get back into society then.

I don't know, have you ever read Dracula? I fear that over time they could recuperate themselves and return as a more potent, deadly and harrowing force than whence they were banished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Chief87 wrote: »
    Look fair enough but it is this attitude that has our system so soft in the first place. I don't want the place to be policed like the states as it is too much power for the police there but a middle ground would be nice.
    I would suspect the biggest problems we face is the lack of policing and lack of using existing laws. If you think it is a good idea to have somebody spend 15 years in jail at the cost of (15*€50k) €750k for minor criminal offenses I think you have a problem. That isn't even to mention the costs of supporting a persons family while they are in jail.

I didn't give a story so no moral. Personally I believe if the streets were policed we wouldn't have such problems. Fear of being caught is the biggest deterrent not increase punishment. Maybe rehabilitate people in prison instead of punishing them.

I want a working system at reasonable expenses, warehousing people doesn't work. If the best system meant letting everybody out of prison I am for it, what we have doesn't work and 3 strike rules don't work either. I don't want to replace one broken system with another broken one that is all.

Just because somebody doesn't believe in a severe system doesn't make them a bleeding heart liberal. I want something that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Fair enough, I was mistaken about the police station being on O'Connell Street. But that just begs the question of why isn't there one there anymore.

That makes absolutely no sense. Yay for bureaucracy. :(

Oh I know, for years that corner was the nexus of the heroin dealing, so naturally that was the logical cop shop to shut. It's typical of how we handle things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Show me one.

The Kit Kat multipacks still have two fingers wrapped in foil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I suggest rockall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I feel sorry for anyone who has to work in any of the shops around O'Connell St. I've been in that Londis across O'Connell bridge a good few times and it's as often as not that there is some cunt in there causing trouble for the staff.

Of course they will get the blame if someone gets away with robbing something, while they run the risk of being assaulted for stopping some wanker with a Mars bar down his pants. They couldn't possibly get paid enough for that shite.

conorhal wrote: »
    Oh I know, for years that corner was the nexus of the heroin dealing, so naturally that was the logical cop shop to shut. It's typical of how we handle things in this country.

I understood shutting the Garda station in Whitehall, for example, but O'Connell Street, really? Are the guards actively trying to avoid one of the worst areas of town that probably needs their presence more than any other part of the city?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Could it be heroin addicts who were after the foil? There are reports of shops refusing to stock KitKats because of this.

Shops could care less about what people do with items they buy in them. What do they think people are doing who buy a pack of smokes and rollies in the same purchase?

• Advertisement

Shops could care less about what people do with items they buy in them. What do they think people are doing who buy a pack of smokes and rollies in the same purchase?

Crime rates have more of a correlation with drug addiction that it does with smokers. Shops aren't doing it because they give a shit about why customers are buying their products, they're doing it because they want to deter addicts from coming into their shop, which is completely understandable tbh.

Advertisement