Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did *you* get lean and muscly?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

How did you make yourself lean and muscly?

Did you use a personal trainer?

Did you follow a workout program you found online / in a magazine / in a book and just trust it?

Did you just go to the gym and blindly work out?

Did you just buy weights and start working out at home?

Did you follow a program at all and if so, where did you get it from?

And so on and so forth.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You started your last thread a week ago. Just join a gym and stop talking about it already.

There are lots of ways to get fit. Procrastinating online isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Zillah wrote: »
    You started your last thread a week ago. Just join a gym and stop talking about it already.

There are lots of ways to get fit. Procrastinating online isn't one of them.

The last thread I posted here was indeed a week ago. That is correct. Were you going somewhere with that?

Just join a gym? No. Thanks though.

Stop talking about it already? Eh, no. Why would I stop talking about it?

Were you implying that I'm procrastinating? How could you possibly know that? Especially since I'm not.

Not that it's any of your business but if it makes you feel a bit better, I have started. And I won't stop being curious about other people's processes and I won't stop asking about them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

whirlpool wrote: »
    How did you make yourself lean and muscly?

Did you use a personal trainer?

Did you follow a workout program you found online / in a magazine / in a book and just trust it?

Did you just go to the gym and blindly work out?

Did you just buy weights and start working out at home?

Did you follow a program at all and if so, where did you get it from?

And so on and so forth.....

A long journey of trial and error where you never stop learning.
    Most important things in my view are:

1) Use correct form and don't worry about how much weight is on the bar
    2) Nutrition and nutrient timing - most of the your daily carbs before & after training. Fats are good - coconut oil, avocado etc. Ditch gluten.
    3) Use a tried and trusted program until you know what you are doing, starting strength, 5/3/1, WSFSB, GVT, stronglifts
    4) Focus on the muscle you are trying to work and try to create that mind muscle connection, don't just bang out exercises for the sake of it.
    5) Know when to take a rest day and dont just keep ploughing on.
    6) Superset everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ditch gluten...don't ditch gluten....seems to be a hung jury on this one as far as ive seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I spent 5 years thinking about nothing other than being strong. Then I spent a few more years improving food quality while working on things I ignored during tgat period. Like good quality.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Ditch gluten...don't ditch gluten....seems to be a hung jury on this one as far as ive seen.

Yeah I think tits probably different for everyone. I know I feel a hell of a lot better when I don't have gluten in my diet. And I find it a lot easier to stay lean. Energy levels are up, wake up feeling much better in the mornings.

At the same time I know lads who can stay shredded with gluten in their diet and it doesn't give them that sleepy bloated horrible feeling I get from it. I would recommend people do a few weeks off gluten and just see how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I don't know about the muscly side of things, but I'm pretty damn lean and I eat a lot of cake. Don't put too much value in personal anecdotes, what works for one person might not work so well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

colman1212 wrote: »
    Ditch gluten.

This is something I'm thinking about. Did you ditch gluten entirely? Or just cut down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I hired Hanley to tell me what to do and then I did it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know about the muscly side of things, but I'm pretty damn lean and I eat a lot of cake. Don't put too much value in personal anecdotes, what works for one person might not work so well for you.

So you're saying eat more cake.
    Om nom nom!
    :D

• Advertisement

whirlpool wrote: »
    The last thread I posted here was indeed a week ago. That is correct. Were you going somewhere with that?

Just join a gym? No. Thanks though.

Stop talking about it already? Eh, no. Why would I stop talking about it?

Were you implying that I'm procrastinating? How could you possibly know that? Especially since I'm not.

Not that it's any of your business but if it makes you feel a bit better, I have started. And I won't stop being curious about other people's processes and I won't stop asking about them either.

I didn't mean to sound snarky - you yourself said you were the kind of obsess over details. Any work out is better than no work out, even if you might not be doing it perfectly. For what it is worth, here's my thoughts:

Lean: This is about body-fat percentage, which is 100% a question of how many calories you eat versus how many you burn. You burn calories just by being alive, and burn more when you exercise. Heavier people need more calories to stay at that weight, visa versa for lighter people. If you are not as lean as you would like then you need to eat the amount of calories that a person of the weight you want would eat, and eat that amount for the rest of your life. I've always been lean due a decent diet and tons of cycling. Lots of veg. Like, 50% of every meal lots.

Trainer: Nope. Had a friend take ten minutes to show me the basics around the gym floor, and from there worked it out myself.

Program: I've never followed a particular program. I look up tons of info and tutorials online for different exercises (like, I might say, I need something better to work out my chest - and I would look up different exercises that would suit me and try them out). I just listen to my body and pick and choose what to work on each time I go. I started using the machines and very few free weights, and then started using more free weights. These days I barely every use the machines. I am always learning new things and adding exercises to my routine. I always keep a sly eye on what the people around me are doing, too, and sometimes I think "What an idiot, that's a waste of time!" and others I think "That looks like a really good exercises for my back...I'm going to do that from now on".

You can just go to the gym without working out blindly. There's a tons of resources online for you to plan what you're going to do. I would usually have back+chest day, shoulders+biceps day, legs days, etc. But it gets mixed up depending on how I feel about what needs to be done. Abs are fairly easily done at home.

There is no reason whatsoever to ditch gluten unless you're actually allergic. I think most people feel better after ditching gluten because that means ditching bread. Getting rid of bread means getting rid of a large amount of quickly digesting carbs, usually eaten at night, which is a horrible idea. There's nothing wrong with gluten itself, and the people claiming there is are usually also advocating homepathy, vaccines scares etc. It's not based on science.

I hired Hanley to tell me what to do and then I did it.

That second bit is the one most people struggle with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lean: This is about body-fat percentage, which is 100% a question of how many calories you eat versus how many you burn.

Really?
    So I can eat 1500 calories worth of chocolate every day and reduce my body-fat percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Started threads on boards...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

I didn't mean to sound snarky - you yourself said you were the kind of obsess over details. Any work out is better than no work out, even if you might not be doing it perfectly. For what it is worth, here's my thoughts:

Lean: This is about body-fat percentage, which is 100% a question of how many calories you eat versus how many you burn. You burn calories just by being alive, and burn more when you exercise. Heavier people need more calories to stay at that weight, visa versa for lighter people. If you are not as lean as you would like then you need to eat the amount of calories that a person of the weight you want would eat, and eat that amount for the rest of your life. I've always been lean due a decent diet and tons of cycling. Lots of veg. Like, 50% of every meal lots.

Trainer: Nope. Had a friend take ten minutes to show me the basics around the gym floor, and from there worked it out myself.

Program: I've never followed a particular program. I look up tons of info and tutorials online for different exercises (like, I might say, I need something better to work out my chest - and I would look up different exercises that would suit me and try them out). I just listen to my body and pick and choose what to work on each time I go. I started using the machines and very few free weights, and then started using more free weights. These days I barely every use the machines. I am always learning new things and adding exercises to my routine. I always keep a sly eye on what the people around me are doing, too, and sometimes I think "What an idiot, that's a waste of time!" and others I think "That looks like a really good exercises for my back...I'm going to do that from now on".

You can just go to the gym without working out blindly. There's a tons of resources online for you to plan what you're going to do. I would usually have back+chest day, shoulders+biceps day, legs days, etc. But it gets mixed up depending on how I feel about what needs to be done. Abs are fairly easily done at home.

There is no reason whatsoever to ditch gluten unless you're actually allergic. I think most people feel better after ditching gluten because that means ditching bread. Getting rid of bread means getting rid of a large amount of quickly digesting carbs, usually eaten at night, which is a horrible idea. There's nothing wrong with gluten itself, and the people claiming there is are usually also advocating homepathy, vaccines scares etc. It's not based on science.

The evidence shows that just about everyone is better off not consuming gluten. There is strong evidence which shows it causes autoimmune diseases as well as many other negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Really?
    So I can eat 1500 calories worth of chocolate every day and reduce my body-fat percentage?

Sure , but you'll also reduce muscle mass and probably develop diabetes , have awful skin , scurvy etc etc..

The evidence shows that just about everyone is better off not consuming gluten.

I would be surprised by this.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Not that I'm there yet but Step 1 is consistency

Eating right every day, training 4 days a week every week. This way the long term average is practically perfect and occasional off days are irrelevant

Step 2 is wanting it more than anything. its the only way you'll stick to step 1

Really?

If your calorie needs are 1501 or more, then yes, it would be physically impossible for you to not lose weight. As said, you'd be incredibly unhealthy in other ways. (Obviously you need to keep your protein high to maintain muscle)

The evidence shows that just about everyone is better off not consuming gluten. There is strong evidence which shows it causes autoimmune diseases as well as many other negative effects.

There isn't strong evidence. There are a few, unsubstantiated ideas. That's about it. That's why the medical community is not recommending that we avoid gluten, in the way that it would recommend we not consume, say, asbestos, mercury or cyanide - which all actually have evidence showing that they are bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

There isn't strong evidence. There are a few, unsubstantiated ideas. That's about it. That's why the medical community is not recommending that we avoid gluten, in the way that it would recommend we not consume, say, asbestos, mercury or cyanide - which all actually have evidence showing that they are bad for you.

There is, I'll find it tomorrow. But for now I'll leave you with Chris Kesser.
    http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-1-dont-eat-toxinsb

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

No need to ditch gluten unless you have Celiac Disease or are Gluten sensitive.
    Really?

Derp, think before you post.

Please post this evidence.

Because in fact, most of the gluten free products are actually higher in sugar and fat than there gluten counterparts.

Gluten free is a fad..........Unless you have Celiac disease etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

If by evidence you mean anecdotal, then yes you are right. If however you mean research published in respectable journals then you are wrong.
    There is no evidence that healthy people without any intolerances etc. would be better off without gluten in their diet. It might exacerbate pre-existing conditions but not create new ones.

top madra wrote: »
    Because in fact, most of the gluten free products are actually higher in sugar and fat than there gluten counterparts.

Gluten free is a fad..........Unless you have Celiac disease etc.

No body is talking about eating all that gluten free rubbish you see in the health section in supermarkets.
    I was talking about eating whole unprocessed foods.
    I have no problem with people saying that they don't like gluten free but saying its a fad is a bit ridiculous. I don't have a clue about what studies etc are out there about it, but I really do think that most people who try it for a decent amount of time will agree they feel much better on it, and they're body composition will improve.

Of the people who think its ridiculous/a fad etc, I'd be interested to see how many have tried it for a decent period of time.
    I also would think if you randomly picked 10 gluten free eaters and 10 gluten eaters from a gym, who would be in better shape?

....Jesus, have I turned into one of these people who ramble on about paleo....:eek:

colman1212 wrote: »
    No body is talking about eating all that gluten free rubbish you see in the health section in supermarkets.
    I was talking about eating whole unprocessed foods.
    I have no problem with people saying that they don't like gluten free but saying its a fad is a bit ridiculous. I don't have a clue about what studies etc are out there about it, but I really do think that most people who try it for a decent amount of time will agree they feel much better on it, and they're body composition will improve.

Of the people who think its ridiculous/a fad etc, I'd be interested to see how many have tried it for a decent period of time.
    I also would think if you randomly picked 10 gluten free eaters and 10 gluten eaters from a gym, who would be in better shape?

....Jesus, have I turned into one of these people who ramble on about paleo....:eek:

That's so vague though , and with no scientific studies to give any kind of timeframe or solid results you must see how people are apprehensive of the ah sure look go off gluten and you'll probably most likely maybe improve body composition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

papu wrote: »
    That's so vague though , and with no scientific studies to give any kind of timeframe or solid results you must see how people are apprehensive of the ah sure look go off gluten and you'll probably most likely maybe improve body composition.

Have you tried it?

Have you tried it?

I don't go out of my way to avoid it but there wouldn't be allot of it in my normal diet.

It's a no Brainer for me. No "clinical" symptoms, but having some gluten every now and then really ****s with me. I doubt I have it 1x/week at this stage

It's not exactly hard to avoid anyway, so why risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Never paid any attention to the whole gluten thing. Just took a look at a list of foods that contain gluten and I eat very very little of it. That's just from trying to eat healthy and not actively avoiding gluten at all.

• Advertisement

Gluten *is* pretty hard to avoid though, and I'd say most of the non celiacs on "gluten free" diets are actually still eating gluten - they just don't realise it.

Advertisement