Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Curran wrote: »
    Yeah, should be fine. I'd use the solution that came with it. Just be careful not to wet it too much or you risk the headlining sagging. Be sure to vac up as much moisture and I'd advise having some dehumidifier bags ready to throw into the car when dine to help draw the moisture.

I'll post some pics if it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Spent a couple of hours at the car yesterday. Happy with the way it came out, just need to purchase some kind of decent alloy cleaner!

Raining all day today here so I had to take a picture of the wax doing its work :pac:

IMG_4207_zpsggveuigd.jpg

IMG_4208_zpsjcsdbzub.jpg

IMG_4209_zps3jjqz8mr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Bilt Hamber AutoWheel is the last wheel cleaner you'll buy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Second the Bilt Hamber, quality stuff. I find AutoGlym's Custom Wheels very good too, especially handy with the brushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

There's some great work on this forum as usual.

I'm wondering what's the story with using clayey a car seems to give much better results than just polishing it. What the procedure do you clean and de tar car first. If the clay is picking up all the contaminants surly it would scratch the paint work then. I understand you use it with detailer but what do you do and do you just dry of the detailer after or wash it again ?

Would this be a good starter kit to use?
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/detailing-products/meguiars-quik-clay-starter-kit
    It will probably be December before I get around to all this but I'd like to give the Megane a good going over then as I think the paintwork would come up well after a good clean. Thanks for the advice in advance.c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

CIP4 wrote: »

I'm wondering what's the story with using clayey a car seems to give much better results than just polishing it. What the procedure do you clean and de tar car first. If the clay is picking up all the contaminants surly it would scratch the paint work then. I understand you use it with detailer but what do you do and do you just dry of the detailer after or wash it again ?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/detailing-products/meguiars-quik-clay-starter-kit
    It will probably be December before I get around to all this but I'd like to give the Megane a good going over then as I think the paintwork would come up well after a good clean. Thanks for the advice in advance.c

Thats fine,
    I use that on my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there a difference between BH Auto wheel and Korrosol? Are they the same type of product from different manufacturers? I got Korrosol from Curran, and it's great tack on the wheels.

TIA

ratracer wrote: »
    Is there a difference between BH Auto wheel and Korrosol? Are they the same type of product from different manufacturers? I got Korrosol from Curran, and it's great tack on the wheels.

TIA

Korrosol is a dedicated Fallout Remover that can be used everywhere and is very good on wheels, Auto Wheel I believe is a bit nicer on wheels as it only contains some Fallout Remover. Best to use Korrosol for heavy contamination every few weeks or months if it's bad while Auto Wheel you can use for every clean.

Just to add to what FN said, AutoWheel is a dedicated wheel cleaner with some fallout remover in it. It's best used as part of your normal wash if you've spent the time totally decontaminating your alloys with Korrosol which is the same thing as Iron X or Iron Cleanse due to the fact that it contains some fallout remover so you won't have to do a full decontamination for a long time as it's kept at bay.

Both AutoWheel and Korrosol are made by Bilt Hamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

CIP4 wrote: »

I started with same kit basically.

Yes wash/rinse again after, before give car good wash plus apc/fallout remover clean n rinse and then inspect car if your seeing quite bad tar contanimation then I would recommend a tar remover and rinse before spraying the quick detailer on 1 st panel and then using section clay (not whole) needed flat quickly work away with it.

Once that detailer is finished most clay's will work with water and maybe a little APC/fairy liquid mixed in with it. I use a drop of fairy then fill with water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Just to add to what FN said, AutoWheel is a dedicated wheel cleaner with some fallout remover in it. It's best used as part of your normal wash if you've spent the time totally decontaminating your alloys with Korrosol which is the same thing as Iron X or Iron Cleanse due to the fact that it contains some fallout remover so you won't have to do a full decontamination for a long time as it's kept at bay.

Both AutoWheel and Korrosol are made by Bilt Hamber.

Also when you do get your alloys really clean Collinite Wax is a great sealant on them, makes washing them a stroll in future even with the brake dust.

My usual job is deiron, dry, IPA wipedown, CG wheel guard and 2 coats of collinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

After a year of not having a car due to moving abroad I got sick of public transport even here in Switzerland.

I will be returning home at christmas and bringing all my detailing stuff with me, DA, pads, menzerna, colly 476s etc.

I wouldnt mind buying a new wax and sealant though as my Jetseal is years old and the 476s is a bit of a pain to apply sometimes even though it leaves a nice, long lasting finish.

Im looking for recommendations for a good wax and sealant for a Royal blue coloured car.

Ive seen Dodo Blue Velvet and Purple Haze recommended so far. Any others?

After a year of not having a car due to moving abroad I got sick of public transport even here in Switzerland.

I will be returning home at christmas and bringing all my detailing stuff with me, DA, pads, menzerna, colly 476s etc.

I wouldnt mind buying a new wax and sealant though as my Jetseal is years old and the 476s is a bit of a pain to apply sometimes even though it leaves a nice, long lasting finish.

Im looking for recommendations for a good wax and sealant for a Royal blue coloured car.

Great to see you around these parts again man!

You coming back for good or just holidays?

I've been told that Fusso Dark is probably the best thing on the market for dark coloured cars. I've been using Collinite 845 for a long time now and I fancy a change.

I and a few others on here use Fusso, find it fantastic. It's a sealant which I plan on topping off with King Of Gloss as the wax.

This is mine right buffing off:

20150917_150303_zps3bom0uxk.jpg

20150917_150739_zpsao1xoh0o.jpg

Good luck with the car!

Great to see you around these parts again man!

You coming back for good or just holidays?

I've been told that Fusso Dark is probably the best thing on the market for dark coloured cars. I've been using Collinite 845 for a long time now and I fancy a change.

Thanks chief, its been a while!

Only back for Christmas hols.

I'll have a look at Fusso now, although I have heard good things about 845 too, thanks.

The only thing I have against 845 is that it's very hard to clean the applicator pad afterwards. If you put it in the washing machine, all the other clothes come out smelling of it. You have to spend a while squeezing it out of the pad and you'd wonder if it's worth it since they're cheap enough.

DO NOT wash a Fusso applicator with clothes, unless you like all your clothes to smell of Petrol :pac:

Where did you get the Fusso Foxhole?

Where did you get the Fusso Foxhole?

I used Mrdetailireland.com think it was €33 including 2 day shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Another vote for Fusso

xft6kn.jpg

x3uv4p.jpg

Guys, I applied a coat of Fusso and Authentic in May, then another coat of Authentic in July. The beads are dying and also Just before the winter I would like to top up the protection. I was thinking to top up the protection now and then do it again in December :).

Should I just apply the coat of Fusso as it is or should I use APC to remove all the layers before I start again ?

Apply it as is. You're only creating work for yourself otherwise.

Apply it as is. You're only creating work for yourself otherwise.

Will the bonding of the wax with the body (is that the correct term? :) ) be as good ?

Maybe not but I don't think it will be noticeably different especially if you plan on applying another coat in December.

I know where you're coming from though and you're right but it's a lot of work I think. In future what I would do if I were you is what vectra told me to do - strip everything off back to the paint, apply 1 coat of Fusso, wait 24 hours and apply a second coat and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

This is a serious question in case anyone thinks I'm trolling.

When yous are all talking about using a APC I was always under the assumption that yous meant a car/motor approved one but do some of yous seriously use the likes of Flash and other brands that you could pick up in your local Dunnes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

When yous are all talking about using a APC I was always under the assumption that yous meant a car/motor approved one but do some of yous seriously use the likes of Flash and other brands that you could pick up in your local Dunnes ?

Yus, aldi have a lovely one called "ocean breeze". Cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes correct.

All purpose cleaner.

Strips any old wax/ deposits

Maybe not but I don't think it will be noticeably different especially if you plan on applying another coat in December.

I know where you're coming from though and you're right but it's a lot of work I think. In future what I would do if I were you is what vectra told me to do - strip everything off back to the paint, apply 1 coat of Fusso, wait 24 hours and apply a second coat and leave it at that.

Yeh, I was going to quote Vectra on this too i.e. applying Authentic gives that extra shine but the beads die. Removing layers using an APC isn't really much of extra work i.e. wash couple of times with APC and rinse down ? I should probably do it if thats a proper way to do it ? The only thing is, I won't be able to just leave it parked for 24 hours over the weekend and apply another coat :)

Yes, you can see in the above pic, its just normal APC. I read that an APC is an APC, I hope I am not screwing up anything using Lidl branded APC :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Yes correct.

All purpose cleaner.

Strips any old wax/ deposits

And that is all it would be used for yeah ? Just stripping ?

Advertisement