Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Carpro Dlux is a wheel and trim coating, it will do both the plastic and the chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Two questions.

Washed the car last week, used Bilt Hamber shampoo. Windscreen is now mad greasy. In the past it's not as bad but definitely see snowfoam and/or shampoo drying into the windscreen and leaves loads of marks when the wipers are needed. At the end of the wash it's rinsed off and dried with a microfiber. Glass cleaner doesn't seem to help, likely my sponge isn't aggressive enough for a scrub. I have to break out the glass polish and pad with elbow grease.

Second, car is light grey. It hides dirt well, literally didn't wash it for about 5 months, problem is I don't notice it getting that dirty. Now it's sparkling. Is it safe to use snow foam as shampoo or just use water and two bucket as a weekly? I'd like to give it a wipe down weekly without doing a full clean, similar to those doing a waterless wash.

It could be dirt smearing off your wiper blades, I always give them a wipe with the mitt and shampoo and then dry them with a cloth at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I've hubcapc bought in Lidl. The paint is flaking off them in different spot already, saw no kerb. I'm using Turtle Wax redline wheel cleaner, claiming to be neutral. Is it possible that the cleaning caused it or poor quality paint?

I'd probably lean more towards poor quality paint or maybe the force of the power washer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks, Pete! I've never gone near to them with the power washer. Always taken off, sprayed with cleaner, agitated with brush, then rinsed. I suppose, they won't scratch, rather flake instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Any recommendations for a good de tar for car ? Car wasn't de tar in few years so pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

I used to use carpro tar x, spray it on and maybe give a rub in places.

Doing a full detail of car last week and decided to use an old bottle autoglm intensive tar remover that I had, didn’t realise id no tar x left!

I poured some onto a microfibre cloth and gently rubbed around bottom half of entire car, done a great job. Far far better than constantly spraying and waiting for spots to dissolve, be there forever.

Just make sure you have power washer ready to go straight away after, not supposed to leave it ok paintwork more than 5 mins or so, possibly less in this warm weather.

Oh and probably dispose of microfibre after, the reek of the stuff will never leave it!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

My windscreen and roof seem to be covered in little black dots, essentially sap I think. 10m across the road from my parking space are some very tall trees. The spots on the roof seem to come off with very hard scrubbing - windscreen spots slightly harder to remove by hand and don't budge with the wipers. I don't want to remove them through mechanical force like that of the risk of ruining my paint - is there any product that can remove this kind of residue effectively?

Vasco would be my go to if you can park the car inside, spray on and leave for a minimum of an hour then rinse off. I normally spray on and leave it over night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Second vote for Vasco.

I've many tar removers ranging from the aerosol cans (which should be avoided like the plague) to Autoglym and more but Vasco has been the best for not only tar but other contamination removal such as sap, bugs, etc.

As it's gel based it never dries, so long as it's parked inside and out of direct sunlight.

No scrubbing, rubbing or any mechanical agitation needed. Spray, leave to sit, wash off.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

I'm too lazy to search the thread..what's the safest way to remove tar spots? I have a bunch of auto Glym product from buying cars..have seen wd40 mentioned as well?

Cheers,

Mick

Ps nevermind seen above post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This guy is suggesting a synthetic chamois and water to clean your windows perfectly. It’s hard to tell even from his video if this works.

Anyone ever tried it?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Have relocated to Germany for a bit. Picked up the Kona N.

Really miss doing some detailing on my car. You are not allowed to wash your car here on the street. You need to do it in a car wash. They are mad about cleaning chemicals running into the ground. Which is fair enough I guess. You are also not supposed to do anything on a Sunday, so if you were working on the car, you would have some very disapproving neighbours. Takes some time to get used to.

Back home, I would spend the day detailing my car. Here I have to settle for a car wash, and a sneaky rub down with quick detailer. The above are the results.

Probably have to find a proper detailer soon, as the car could do with it.

Still fighting with this. Noticed the inside door glass was getting milky/greasy and could wipe with the finger. Saw a video on YouTube of a detailer who said a foolproof method was a shammy with water, two passes and a buff dry. Don't have a shammy but have a semi-waffle style kitchen cloth. Not ideal but best on hand to 'scrub' the surface as all I have are microfibers that seem to push grime around. Even if I use glass cleaner when I go to buff I still see marks in the glass. It's easier to see on the outside due to the reflection in the glass.

It seems I'm going to need to be more aggressive, on occasion I use a cheap Auto Glym glass polish on the windscreen as when the wipers pass I end up seeing the 'dried in' marks but I don't use it often. I don't do glass that often, mainly fighting with the windscreen inside and out. I think I'll need to start polishing the glass on occasion, maybe clay bar the outside with every other wash as it's a bit less elbow grease.

I need to buy a new glass cleaner, any tips for what method to do glass inside and out and what cloths work well? I see waffle weave cloths mentioned often. I see Ammo NYC on YouTube clean with a thicker cleaning agent and squeegee away to perfection making it look easy...

For really bad windows I have used a new microfibre conical pad, 2", with window cleaner and then followed up with pure isopropyl alcohol on a microfibre afterward due to its high evaporation rate means it removes residue and leaves none of its own.

I'm currently using ADBL Glass pro followed by isopropyl alcohol. Use liberally and rub well, in alternating vertical-horizontal strokes.

Used with microfibre cloths, multiple ones, and keep using a clean section of the cloth. Don't use the same cloth for the entire car or the same ones for the inside as the outside

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭goochy

any tips on getting oil stains off a bonnet ?

Oil stains?

Have to ask, how?

A tar remover should break it down and allow for removal. Oil would have the same constituency as tar so will be safe to remove in the same way. Use a good brand with no/minimum scrubbing needed to avoid scratching the paintwork.

If there is a "ring" mark left then I'd try clay bar, but you would want to make sure the entire bonnet is done and decontaminated prior to claying.

If the clay barring fails completely or in part it may need a cut back. Start small with a scratch remover and medium/soft pad and work up depending on results.

Are you sure it's oil? Have you a picture? Shouldn't be an issue as the above will work on most stains and will be safe. IOW regardless of the effectiveness of the removal the method and chemicals will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

I normally use something like CarPro Streak Free followed by Glaco Ultra as a protector.

Have a look here:

• Advertisement

Mad4motors undoes the damage to a modded A6.

Looks like he was inflicting more damage to the paintwork than actually rectifying it

Any tips for cleaning the window seals? My Golf hasn't been washed as it's parked up most days while the missus is on maternity leave. Gave it two passes with the pressure washer but stuff looks rough like it needs a scrape, could probably do with something being sprayed on to soak in?

Damp cloth when the window is down? A toothbrush could also work. Just wondering the best way to tackle it.

Detailing brush and a quick detailer then wash away.

If your still getting gunk and stuff when putting the window down and up if you have a credit card and a microfiber cover the card in the cloth and use it up and down to clean away the stuff

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Anybody got any recommendations on how to get stickers off bodywork? My old 90's import has faded half gone stickers that I want to get off.

Heat gun to loosen the glue and peel them off. But of tar remover to remove the residue of glue.

Toffee wheel will make light work of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 634 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

huh never heard of a Toffee wheel. Will purchase one along with some of that De-Solv-it. Cheers lads

Advertisement