Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've got a new car & motorbike cleaning plan using the power washer, but I think I might be missing a step…

1.   Snow foam shampoo coat

2.   Rinse

3.   Power wash wax coat

4.   Rinse

Is there another cleaning step that I need to include… I’m confused by people discussing prewash etc… BTW, this is for general cleaning, not detailing… It’s just for maintenance… At the moment I have Turtle Wax Foam/Shampoo & Autoglym Polar Rinse. The most important bit is getting the bike fully cleaned down, into all the nooks etc... and to use the Polar Wax to repel water on the bike, because it lives outside... I also use a brush & noodle mit... so I'm not trying to avoid effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd go with citrus pre wash or snowfoam, rinse, contact wash with shampoo, rinse then dry or apply the autoglym polar seal then dry the car. Best to use a snowfoam like bilt hamber autofoam or touchless or a citrus pre wash, they will actually pull dirt off the car as a lot of snow foams are weak and don't do much.

I'd stick to the noodle mitt or a microfibre mitt, brushes are pretty bad for causing damage to the paintwork. You could pick up some detailing brushes to work the foam into the nooks and crannies

Thanks! I have 5 litres of Turtle Wax, but that only equates to about 5 washes. I was planning to pick up Bilt Hamber Touchless once it's gone.

I'll have a look at what liquids to use for the contact wash...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hey guys

Was restocking the last weeks as i want to fusso up the VXR and still need afew small ancilliary bits

• Power washer (Needs a proper snowfoam attachment and i'd like a stubby trigger) It's a Mac Allister (Bosch fitting for snowfoam ?)
    • Wet vac
    • Cheap industrial style vacuum with a blow function ?
    • My 10 year old DA is also dead, whats a good cheap model these days and a good brand of medium and light cut ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Reflect autocare have a huge range and are very knowledgeable. They’re probably your best bet for most stuff.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Right so my 9 year old supply of .50 Cal 20:20 glass cleaner has finally run out.

Is there anywhere in Ireland still doing it or is there a better/identical product out there for the windows and mirrors that I can pick up within Ireland? My google foo is normally strong, but coming up blank.

Blok51 sells 50 cal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Thanks to you both. Didn't know that blok were up the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Bought a car that has a slight smell of smoke in it, I guess previous owner smoked in it. Done a bit of looking at people seem to suggest ozone machines are the best option? I guess using scents will just mask the issue?

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement

I'd give it a good deep clean inside doing the headliner,seats,seatbelts,carpet etc then treat it will an ozone machine and maybe change the pollen filter aswell

It's only 3 years old and got a detail at the dealers.. it's not terrible just there in the background

Dealer normally doesn't clean cars properly because it isn't cost or time efficient. If you can get someone to ozone it for you and see how it improves

Would it be worth renting a rug doctor machine and giving that a go to shift the smell?

Cui bono?

I've ordered an ozone machine from Amazon. Was only 70 euro. Will give it a go and see. It's not a terrible smell and seems worse in the back..

Hopefully that works for you. Can’t understand people smoking in their cars, whatever about an old banger but a brand new one?

Cui bono?

Dealer said it was owned by a single lady.. spotless car.. tiny mileage so worth the smell..

Worth the small inconvenience of getting rid of the smell so. Hope it goes well for you, the car, that is 👍

Cui bono?

I'll report back on how the ozone machine goes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Steam cleaning would probably help get all the tight spots, along with the thorough carpet/interior shampoo. I believe o zone is essential for smoke/mold smells though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GPoint

No amount of deep cleaning and ozone treatment will get rid of cigarette smoke! Best advice is shift the car , unfortunately. Wait for the warm weather and you will see how roof lining will start releasing the smoke into the car!

I had once bought a second hand from a main dealer in winter month and it there was a free air freshener in the car so I did not notice a smell. When the warm weather started and car was in the sun all day it was stinky inside the cabin . Did multiple deep cleans and few ozone treatments, helps for a week while the chemicals smell masks the smoke and then if came back . Had to sell the car in a year because of this.

To be honest I'm the only one that noticed it so it's not even that bad. Oddly I only find it sitting in the left side of back seat. Maybe someone was regularly brought somewhere and smoked out the window or something. Certainly wouldn't be car selling bad.

Ozone machine arrived today. Ran it for 3 cycles of 15 minutes with the car on with aircon set to interior circulation. Have doors and windows open now airing it out. To early to tell yet but will have a drive this evening and see if i notice anything. This is the machine i bought from Amazon. Tidy unit. I bought a returned one from Amazon warehouse for a nice bit cheaper and it was fine. I might end up shifting it on adverts as I doubt ill need it again but Ill wait and see as few people have said you might need a few goes of it to get rid of the smell completely.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I could be talking out my arse here but I think you need a lot of ventilation after using an o zone machine as it's potentially hazardous? I've seen them used in a few mouldy barn find cleans on YouTube.

Yeah there's a lot of warnings on it. Ozone has a half life of 15 minutes but to be on the safe side I left the four doors open and air con on Max for a an hour after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've just bought a brand new fairing for my motorbike, is there a good wax I can use on plastic? I'd like to do this before I fit it because it will be much easier

You should consider ACF50...

I use Auto Glym Polar Seal occasionally with the power washer & spray nozzle, it gives a coating that stops shite sticking to the bike and and water falls straight off. Just be careful spraying around hubs and if you have a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The fairings are still in the box at the moment so will be doing this off the bike, I was looking for something plastic specific tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What is most people's go to for ceramic coating for wheels? Have a brand new set and want to coat before tyres go on, was going to grab gtechniq c5 but any other alternatives?

• Advertisement

Advertisement