Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

cena wrote: »
    I have never used hair wax on my hair

Now's your opportunity!!

Back to detailing. I will be using 50cal ambush foam on the car in the morning followed by a TBM wash and a dry with my new dry me crazy towel. Maybe some quick detailer time permitting. (Wheel wash first of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Curran wrote: »
    50 Cal's Cover Up Filler Glaze is one of the better ones out there. As you probably know, glazes are only a temporary solution to the problem, and are limited to covering minor imperfections.
    As ever, the prepartion is key to getting good results - the product alone is not a magic solution; it will improve things, but you want to get the best results possible.

Wash, de-tar, rinse, de-iron, rinse, clay, rinse, re-wash and dry...now the paintwork is contamination free and well prep'd.

Depending on the condition of the paintwork, polishing may not be necessary. If the paintwork is lacking shine, due to oxidation, a dull / faded appearance...has no depth, shine or clarity, then it would be advisable to polish it. However if its not totally necessary, the polish that you apply will hinder the bonding of the glaze, so best avoided if possible.

So after the wash and drying post prep, then you apply the glaze. After that you will need to apply either a wax or sealant to ensure the glaze is locked in, otherwise it will just wash out after a few washes or a few miles on bad roads.

Thanks for that Curran. Just placed an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

After claying a car would it need to be rinsed/washed before polishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

After claying a car would it need to be rinsed/washed before polishing?

Washed with all purpose cleaner be one way at least a wash anyway.

Washed with all purpose cleaner be one way at least a wash anyway.

Would that be a fairy liquid type wash?

• Advertisement

Would that be a fairy liquid type wash?

flash or similar.

Its best to use to strip any protection on the car like wax so as to get best results on a really clean surface.

Fairy liquid also ok but other better.

flash or similar.

Its best to use to strip any protection on the car like wax so as to get best results on a really clean surface.

Fairy liquid also ok but other better.
    Thanks
    As in flash all purpose cleaner?
    Should I wash like that before claying also then?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Thanks As in flash all purpose cleaner? Should I wash like that before claying also then?

Yes Flash APC or any other APC you can pick in Aldi etc. Cheap and cheerful :)

bbari wrote: »
    Yes Flash APC or any other APC you can pick in Aldi etc. Cheap and cheerful :)

She's clayed and washed now. I have chemical guys polish and seal for it tomorrow. When I am at it would there be any advantage giving it two coats of one or the other? Thanks.

She's clayed and washed now. I have chemical guys polish and seal for it tomorrow. When I am at it would there be any advantage giving it two coats of one or the other? Thanks.

Apply thin and leave a gap between coats.

• Advertisement

I hope you get the weather for it or have somewhere indoors to do it. I have had to abandon yesterday and today. A garage is next on the detailing to do list.

Apply thin and leave a gap between coats.

Would that be the 3n polish or the jet seal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Apply 3n and buff it off. You can apply JetSeal onto straight after, but once its cured and buffed off, give it about an hour before applying the 2nd coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I see micksgarage now have a couple of draper "angle polishers" (1200 +1500 w)

http://www.micksgarage.com/shop/Machine%20Polishers

obviously not dual action. Thoughts on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Ive to clean a car this weekend. Dont want to do too much nor spend my whole day Sunday doing it, so whats the best way to do it? Its a 10 year old car with nearly 300k km on it so the body isnt in a perfect condition, nor is the paintwork (black in colour).
    I'd like to give it a good clean and give it a bit of a shine again - recommendations on what to use?

I have Simoniz Wash & Wax, CarPlan T-cut, Simoniz Alloy Cleaner and Microfibre Cloths. Do I need much more? And what procedure should I go to do this to do it correctly?

Ive to clean a car this weekend. Dont want to do too much nor spend my whole day Sunday doing it, so whats the best way to do it? Its a 10 year old car with nearly 300k km on it so the body isnt in a perfect condition, nor is the paintwork (black in colour).
    I'd like to give it a good clean and give it a bit of a shine again - recommendations on what to use?

I have Simoniz Wash & Wax, CarPlan T-cut, Simoniz Alloy Cleaner and Microfibre Cloths. Do I need much more? And what procedure should I go to do this to do it correctly?

Sounds like it not your car maybe? if it hasn't been detailed up to now after 300k km then you should bring it to your nearest soft wash and get them to clean it. Bring it home and give it a quick polish and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Edit: otherwise you will spend all of your Sunday at it. I spent an hour at wheels today.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Sounds like it not your car maybe? if it hasn't been detailed up to now after 300k km then you should bring it to your nearest soft wash and get them to clean it. Bring it home and give it a quick polish and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Edit: otherwise you will spend all of your Sunday at it. I spent an hour at wheels today.

Not my car, doing it for a relative. I reckon the only cleaning it ever had was just at the typical car wash's at your local filling station.

I dont mind spending a few hours at it, but once its not taking up the majority of my day! I also spent an hour doing the alloys on the Ford Mondeo last week and Im still not happy with the way they turned out :( I must get a De-ironiser somewhere for them!

Not my car, doing it for a relative. I reckon the only cleaning it ever had was just at the typical car wash's at your local filling station.

I dont mind spending a few hours at it, but once its not taking up the majority of my day! I also spent an hour doing the alloys on the Ford Mondeo last week and Im still not happy with the way they turned out :( I must get a De-ironiser somewhere for them!

A few hours will do with a good wash and polish. The added time will begin when you start de tar and de ironing. You will get a good result from a good wash and polish.

I got my de ironiser from detailing shed. I don't use it every time I clean the wheels as it doesn't need it. It's more satisfying to watch them bleed every fourth or fifth time!!

A few hours will do with a good wash and polish. The added time will begin when you start de tar and de ironing. You will get a good result from a good wash and polish.

I got my de ironiser from detailing shed. I don't use it every time I clean the wheels as it doesn't need it. It's more satisfying to watch them bleed every fourth or fifth time!!

Would I be okay so with what I have (Simoniz Wash & Waz and CarPlan T-Cut)? Just need to get DeTar and a DeIroniser?

Yes haha I always see people post pictures of their alloys online when they apply the DeIroniser, looks impressive alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Simoniz really isn't good stuff! You seem to be into keeping your own car clean so here's my uneducated advice.

Get a good car shampoo
    Get something to detar
    Buy a clay bar
    A filler polish
    And a decent wax or sealant.
    Finish it with a tyre shine.

Honestly I'd say you could have most of these products for less than €50 and they last, so you can use them on the Mondeo. People might say you'd be mad to spend money because most won't notice but I don't care who the job is for, if I'm going to do it, I'll do it right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That wa s a quick job :P
    I usually spend around 5 hours from start to finish on wheels/arch detail :D
    Maybe it's my old age :P
    Would I be okay so with what I have (Simoniz Wash & Waz and CarPlan T-Cut)? Just need to get DeTar and a DeIroniser?

Yes haha I always see people post pictures of their alloys online when they apply the DeIroniser, looks impressive alright :D

You are in TiPP ?
    Mr. Detail might be witihn a drive to you?
    You could pick up those from him.

vectra wrote: »

You are in TiPP ?

That wasn't doing the back of the alloys!! We need help!!😊😊😄

vectra wrote: »

You are in TiPP ?

Just realised that he is in Cashel, I must arrag=nge to meet him one of the days - be handy as I'll be able to get what I need then and there :) thank you, didnt think of him atal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hope this is the right place for this..........

Keep my Mini in a garage which is also used by a cat! Didnt think to cover the car the first couple of nights and I soon discovered light claw scratches on the bonnet and boot lid where he was trying to hop up on it.

Didnt think it would be hard to sort out, so I used a bit of Autoglym super resin polish on a microfiber cloth, let it dry, then wiped off with a clean cloth. Now where I used to have a deep shine and almost mirror finish (car was resprayed couple of years back) I now have a hazy mass of swirls in that area.
    Im reluctant to try my polishing machine on it as there is a fair bit of paint transfer going on and I don't want to make things worse.

Any advice welcome!

Colour transfer is mostly likely down to the paintwork being single stage; no clear coat.

The only way to resolve your problem is to machine polish it. Since its been repainted, there should be plenty of paint on the car, unlike a robot painted modern car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

listen to curran before me as he knows all the stuff but before trying anything too serious, use some soap and take whatever polish off, reapply leave it dry for 2-3 mins then buff it off by hand with a microfibre cloth and just keep buffing for ages, you'll get back to fairly mirror finish.

make sure the surface is completely clean and same with the cloth. you could clay the surface to make sure its really clean but as long as you're not adding any new scratches you'll be fine and you can always strip the wax off again if you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Agricola wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place for this..........

Keep my Mini in a garage which is also used by a cat! Didnt think to cover the car the first couple of nights and I soon discovered light claw scratches on the bonnet and boot lid where he was trying to hop up on it.

Didnt think it would be hard to sort out, so I used a bit of Autoglym super resin polish on a microfiber cloth, let it dry, then wiped off with a clean cloth. Now where I used to have a deep shine and almost mirror finish (car was resprayed couple of years back) I now have a hazy mass of swirls in that area.
    Im reluctant to try my polishing machine on it as there is a fair bit of paint transfer going on and I don't want to make things worse.

Any advice welcome!

Car in Garage for few nights
    Cat scratches bonnet
    Kick cat and polish bonnet

May I ask, did you wash the bonnet prior to polishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thanks for the replies.

@ vectra Yes, there would have been a thick film of dust on it. The concrete floor in there is very dry, so you couldnt attempt any polishing until it was washed. In my defense, I never had a pet cat which sleep indoors before and the fact that they climb onto everything didnt occur to me until the day after! :rolleyes:

@ Curran - Is single stage paint a very different animal to clear coat? Any cars I had minor issues with before have been more modern and a simple hand application and buff was enough to get a good finish on any dull paintwork. I do have a machine polisher (Aldi's best!) which got great results on a black and a red modern 3 series before. Im a bit nervy about attacking this job with it. If that much paint comes off by hand, I can imagine what a machine would do......
    Would you think the polish Im using is ok for this task or should I get something milder?

• Advertisement

nd wrote: »

Yeah, will do the job! ;)
    Once its not an angle grinder being sold as a polisher...and its not. Angle grinder will spin up 8k RPM, not good for paint!

Advertisement