Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Is it just me or do the bird know who clean car enthusiasts are?... No word of a lie, there is about 12 or 13 bird sh1ts all over my car today... Everytime i wash it they seem to know and can't get here quick enough to crap on it again :(

H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

as soon as they see the two bucket method they can't control their bowels

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Heathen wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the bird know who clean car enthusiasts are?... No word of a lie, there is about 12 or 13 bird sh1ts all over my car today... Everytime i wash it they seem to know and can't get here quick enough to crap on it again :(

H

They just don't like Mazda, especially the Must Poo & Sh!t :D

They just don't like Mazda, especially the Must Poo & Sh!t :D

Ohhhhh!! Harsh!! :)

H

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

H

Shiny targets are easier to hit.

Trust me.

• Advertisement

Ohhhhh!! Harsh!! :)

H

I had the same problem with mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I read somewhere that they especially target darker colour cars. A shiny roof and paintwork will reflect the sky and lead birds to believe that it is the reflection of water, hence the plethora of shyte. I'm no expert in the area, but birds are supposedly more likely to shyte on water.

Hmmmm there is a girl not too far from here that keeps her ford racing puma under a cover, she has the right idea!!

When i win the lotto and move to Spain and build my dream house i'll make sure i have a decent garage and outdoor covered area for betsie.... i suppose the missus can tag along too if she behaves

H

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Decent enough video on wet sanding.

Great result.

I love Larry's vids, i follow him on youtube, some great tips and what to do and more importantly what NOT to do as well...

H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

guys looking for your expertise on stone chips and scratches.my lovely veccy was keyed a few weeks ago on doors and bonnet and has a few stone chips built up over the years.i would really love some advice on how to remove them or touch them up to nearly new as i hate looking at them.im uploading pics now so maybe ye can advise me or @curran would know what to do.cheers guys for ur help hope this link works

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

guys looking for your expertise on stone chips and scratches.my lovely veccy was keyed a few weeks ago on doors and bonnet and has a few stone chips built up over the years.i would really love some advice on how to remove them or touch them up to nearly new as i hate looking at them.im uploading pics now so maybe ye can advise me or @curran would know what to do.cheers guys for ur help hope this link works

If it's keyed a re spray may be the only viable option as all depends on how deep.

If it's keyed a re spray may be the only viable option as all depends on how deep.
    ya trying to upload pics.what the best way to upload pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Machine polishing is what most of those scratches will require to get a good finish - you can hand polish them, which will do a reasonable job hiding them

In order you posted the links
    1st - needs paint
    2nd - you'll improve, but 2 need paint
    3rd - the X shape scratch should machine polish correct, but is that a scratch on the arch too?
    4th - hard to tell - improve the appearance by polishing, but probably needs paint
    5th - will finishing nicely
    6th - will finish nicely
    7th - would guess it will correct

Curran wrote: »
    Machine polishing is what most of those scratches will require to get a good finish - you can hand polish them, which will do a reasonable job hiding them

1st - needs paint
    3rd - the X shape scratch should machine polish correct, but is that a scratch on the arch too?
    4th - hard to tell - improve the appearance by polishing, but probably needs paint
    6th - will finish nicely
    thank u for ur imput.so what should i start doing first...tiny scratch on arch too yeah...

1st - needs paint
    6th - will finish nicely
    ok curran im goin to start on pic number 4...what do i need to do to get rid of this also where is best place to get the paint.im willing to spend a good bit of time getting this right.would chipex be the best

Chipex or Dr. Colorchip are the two big names in paint kits - with Dr. Colorchip perhaps pipping Chipex on people's favourites.

Are you planning on doing machine correction also? As this would ideally need to be done to finish down any painting, for a better finish; otherwise you will be left with a finish that is proud of the surface.

Essentially you will need to prepare the surface well, with a wipedown, fill the scratch, sand it back, and machine polish to a good finish.
    If you are not considering machine polishing, you might be left with blobs of paint, which may or may not be better in appearance that a white scratch....wont be as obvious for sure, but you'll know its there and it will forever stand out.

If you are willing to invest some time and money, you should be able to make a very good bash at it, and give the car a good turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Lads, is there anywhere in Ireland that sells DA's or rotarys since CC went?

• Advertisement

That crowd detailing bed or whatever they're called do as far as I know.

Shaunie; it might be worth your while checking over on Autostadt

Chipex or Dr. Colorchip are the two big names in paint kits - with Dr. Colorchip perhaps pipping Chipex on people's favourites.

Are you planning on doing machine correction also? As this would ideally need to be done to finish down any painting, for a better finish; otherwise you will be left with a finish that is proud of the surface.

Essentially you will need to prepare the surface well, with a wipedown, fill the scratch, sand it back, and machine polish to a good finish.
    If you are not considering machine polishing, you might be left with blobs of paint, which may or may not be better in appearance that a white scratch....wont be as obvious for sure, but you'll know its there and it will forever stand out.

If you are willing to invest some time and money, you should be able to make a very good bash at it, and give the car a good turn around.
    what should i fill he scratches with.i have meguairs compound which is a mighty thing.i have the 1500 sand paper and will order the paint for it..just need a polisher.what would u recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Lads, is there anywhere in Ireland that sells DA's or rotarys since CC went?

D and D in cork sell them now.
    http://dnddetailing.ie/product-category/polishing-machines-accessories/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Expert Folks - this has probably been asked a hundred times but what's the best nano sealant for longevity? (I will be getting a new car in a few weeks and hope to get it treated/detailed while it's new)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Something that is often overlooked with going for a nano protection product, is the products that should be used to maintain it. Correct shampoos, snowfoams, and quick detailers, etc. Using traditional ones may effect the coating and effect durability, beading and appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks Curran - I guess I won't bother with it so

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks Curran - I guess I won't bother with it so

I would say Wolfs products as I have used them before.
    Simple to wash
    Simple to maintain.

Prep
    Seal
    Use Nano Bath to wash
    and their QD to keep it topped up occasionally.

There are others but I have no experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Bought some "Gtechniq G1 + G2 Clear Vision Smart Glass Max Durability Rain Repellant" last night, looking forward to getting it to try it out and see if its as good as it seems on youtube.

Has anyone any tips for applying?

I was going to clay the windscreen before applying?

• Advertisement

It's superb. I've had it on my car for the last 2 years along with every other Gtechniq product imaginable :pac:

Claying would be a good idea. What you could do if you're near a detailer is get them to polish the glass with Cerium Oxide and a Rayon pad or even just glass polish in order to remove any water etching before application.

Removing the residue can be a bit of a PITA as you have to apply the reside remover with one hand and wipe with the other before it dries. Also, 1 coat will do for the side and rear windows but the front requires 3 coats. This doesn't mean apply and remove x 3 as you would think but once you have coated the whole windscreen, start from the beginning again. It seems weird but that's 3 coats in the mind of Gtechniq and it works!

Advertisement