Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Curran wrote: »
    When did Halford's become Irish owned!! :P
    That's the one bbari; couldn't remember the name of it! ;)

I hope you won't forget your own name one day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Curran wrote:
    When did Halford's become Irish owned!! That's the one bbari; couldn't remember the name of it!

I've been putting off getting a few bits off you for ages, I promise I'll get to you before the end of summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Looking at this forum is getting depressing as I haven't managed to give any of the cars a decent clean, I working up the country and all the cleaning stuff is back in Cork. Even if I brought all the stuff up I'm in an apartment and there is no outside tap!

I could go to the local car wash but having witnessed their action with a brush on a long handle I'd rather have a dirty car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads, what'd be the best thing for getting stained on coolant off bits of the engine bay? A fair bit of it staining the engine since the rad blew months ago and never thought to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Lads, what'd be the best thing for getting stained on coolant off bits of the engine bay? A fair bit of it staining the engine since the rad blew months ago and never thought to clean it.

I had a similar problem before and used some engine degreaser and worked it in with a brush then used a steam cleaner to take everything off. Was only on mine for a couple of days though rather than months.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm in an apartment and there is no outside tap!
    I could go to the local car wash but having witnessed their action with a brush on a long handle I'd rather have a dirty car.

I don't have the driveway facility so I go to the local petrol station with 2 buckets etc and wash it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbari wrote: »
    I don't have the driveway facility so I go to the local petrol station with 2 buckets etc and wash it myself.

Nor do I.
    All of my detailing is done on the street. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Thanks for that. I'll ask in the local car washes if I can use (and pay obviously) for water and not their chemicals or labour.

vectra wrote:
    Nor do I. All of my detailing is done on the street.

How many times you are told that up the road you can get it washed for €5?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

He's that fella that's up the road! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Never,
    They all know the wash up the road would not meet my requirements :pac:

Curran wrote:
    He's that fella that's up the road!

I say this fella can easily charge euro 5 per panel :)

ianobrien wrote:
    Thanks for that. I'll ask in the local car washes if I can use (and pay obviously) for water and not their chemicals or labour.

Instead of going to the car wash guys go to the petrol station with coin operated machine where you can buy 4 minutes for 2 euro. This is what i do anyway. Much happier since i started doing this. As Curran says, atleast you can treat the paint like a tomato skin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Instead of going to the car wash guys go to the petrol station with coin operated machine where you can buy 4 minutes for 2 euro. This is what i do anyway. Much happier since i started doing this. As Curran says, atleast you can treat the paint like a tomato skin :)

How much of a que do you let build up:-D

How much of a que do you let build up:-D

I move the car from the washing bay when I'm going to shampoo (only if there's anyone waiting) but definitely move the car when I am drying. :)

There's a drive thru wash too, most of the people use that so I rarely come across anyone who want to wash him/herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Spotted these in homebase for €24:99... I have a karcher k2 and was wondering are these any use for snowfoam and the likes??

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/pressure-washers-hoses/karcher-fj10c-ultra-foam-jet

H

Heathen wrote: »
    Spotted these in homebase for €24:99... I have a karcher k2 and was wondering are these any use for snowfoam and the likes??

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/pressure-washers-hoses/karcher-fj10c-ultra-foam-jet

H

Short answer; no!

They won't produce a thick foam that you would see on snowfoam lance videos. They don't have any metal gauze in them, and it's the water and solution being forced through it, that creates the thick foam.
    The device above will produce a foam but it will be very watery and run straight off the car.

Yea the snow foam lance has been on my shopping list for a while, but the €63 pricetag is a hard pill to swallow, so other more pressing items (nappies etc..) usually take priority haha

Cheers for the reply, at least i now have €24.99 towards the proper lance :)

H

Where can one acquire nozzles for a nilfisk lance. Both of mine are acting up.

Where can one acquire nozzles for a nilfisk lance. Both of mine are acting up.

http://www.detailingshed.com/shampoo-snowfoam/186-snow-foam-lance.html#/fitment-nilfisk_kew_alto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yea the snow foam lance has been on my shopping list for a while, but the €63 pricetag is a hard pill to swallow, so other more pressing items (nappies etc..) usually take priority haha

Cheers for the reply, at least i now have €24.99 towards the proper lance :)

H

Go onto aliexpress its around €21 to €25 delivered to your door.

That's where I got mine it is deadly and forgot to take pics.

I think I used too much foam though as it uses it so quick nearly half a bottle of it.

It's not like that thing in the link, it's just a black head, that clicks onto the end of the lance.

It's not like that thing in the link, it's just a black head, that clicks onto the end of the lance.

The one pictured is the karcher one, its just the pic on the page, you select whatever one you need in the drop down menu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

so other more pressing items (nappies etc..)
    H

Just wait until you're out of the nappies......imagine the amount of snowfoaming you can do then!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

H

Had this and it's a waste of money really ended up buying a proper one for 40 quid a few weeks back and there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All the meguiars stuff is gone in halfords, they seem to be stocking mers, G3 and autoglym with turtle wax stuff being promoted more.
    Pity, as some of their stuff is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

colm_mcm wrote: »
    All the meguiars stuff is gone in halfords, they seem to be stocking mers, G3 and autoglym with turtle wax stuff being promoted more.
    Pity, as some of their stuff is decent.
    I'm guessing you looked for it with the rest of the car wash stuff and didn't find it in Limerick.
    It's around the corner, all together on its own shelf at the end of an aisle in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Quick question for ya lads....

I used clay for the first time over the weekend (Bilt Hamber auto clay) and I found it crumbly and difficult to mould into a solid disk shape. I left it sitting in warm water for a few minutes before I started claying in the car. The directions said to use water as a lubricant but I was using warm water with ph neutral shampoo in it. Was it the shampoo that was causing the problem with the crumbliness or is clay always like that?

Thanks

Strange; as you are the 2nd person to experience similar in the last 2 weeks. Wonder if its the shampoo causing a bit of breakdown.
    Shouldn't happen!
    I've experienced clay breakdown and become sticky but not BH Auto Clay, and it was using diluted Demon Shine as a lube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm guessing you looked for it with the rest of the car wash stuff and didn't find it in Limerick.
    It's around the corner, all together on its own shelf at the end of an aisle in Limerick.

As you go down the shop, the karcher and auto glam is on the left. Then the other stuff is on the right, did I really miss it? Odd place to put it...

Advertisement