Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hello all,

I am thinking to have Drexler ceramic coating done by a professional service.

Any used this particular ceramic coating?
    Or any pros or cons?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

Picked up the K4 about a month ago myself, what snow foam lance are you using?
    I've just the bog standard Karcher one
    Doesn't do a bad job just wondered if there's a better option
    Ta

Get a dedicated snow foam lance, the Karcher one is not up to the job.

I got this package from Blok 51:

https://www.blok51.com/blok-51-snow-foam-lance-karcher-k-series-with-auto-finesse-avalanche-snow-foam-1l.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Anyone able to recommend a detailer around Tallaght to do some paint correction and put on a layer of protection?
    I have no experience here and the Detailers List sticky is out of date.

I was looking at a few but don't know which use the "good stuff" when it comes to ceramic coating etc

So far I found Auto Detail Valeting, MX Tint, and Pro Car Detailing, all within a few minutes drive. There's probably more.
    Anyone have any experience of these?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The OP in the detailers list may have an old date on it but I'm always updating that post so it's actually up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Fair enough, I thought there'd be more than one recommend place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Ordered a few bits off wash me, delivery within 48 hrs. A great service including emails checking on my address after I messed up filling in the details on the website. Box contained a hand written note from Pascal along with a small pack of Jellies which the kids loved. Will definitely be going back to stock up. No connection to the business, just refreshing to come across such efficiency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Decoda wrote: »
    Ordered a few bits off wash me, delivery within 48 hrs. A great service including emails checking on my address after I messed up filling in the details on the website. Box contained a hand written note from Pascal along with a small pack of Jellies which the kids loved. Will definitely be going back to stock up. No connection to the business, just refreshing to come across such efficiency.

I’ve ordered from Paschal too. He has the full range of ADBL products there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’ve ordered from Paschal too. He has the full range of ADBL products there now.

Got the ADBL Snowball from Paschal. Rate it higher than the BH Autowash or Meguiars NXT now sitting abandoned in the shed, super slick and foamy. Their wheel gel lasts forever too. He's also got a couple of new products lines which I'm curious to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

Guys - where do you all wash the cars?

At home I pull them out onto the kerbside and work away, usually a hose and two bucket job. If I am doing a bigger clean and snow foam I do it at work as the grond is usually covered in foam and there are large drains close by to rinse the foam and suds away easily.

I suppose I could do it in the drive but thats all been recently donw with light coloured sotens etc by herself so not sure I want to incur that wrath.

Has anyone had any hassle with snowfoam on the public street?

traco wrote: »

At home I pull them out onto the kerbside and work away, usually a hose and two bucket job. If I am doing a bigger clean and snow foam I do it at work as the grond is usually covered in foam and there are large drains close by to rinse the foam and suds away easily.

I suppose I could do it in the drive but thats all been recently donw with light coloured sotens etc by herself so not sure I want to incur that wrath.

In the garden.
    Have everything quickly accessible in the covered side entrance.

I just pay a bit of consideration when spraying the chemicals or tyre shine close to the garden slabs.
    And always give the garden a quick spray afterwards to push anything out to the path and into the road gully directly outside the house.

548901.jpeg

548902.jpeg

• Advertisement

Nice setup Gumbo.

My drive slopes down towards the house and the surface can't be washed as its all loose sitting in a honeycomb structure. Pebbles would be everywhere

The summer toy is back on the road today and needs a wash, to be fair its not too bad but herselfs car is foul. There is a car wash place close to me. I wonder if they would snowfoam it, let it site for a while and rinse if I paid them and asked them not to wash it? Only one way to find out I guess. It would be 5 mins back home and I could work away with the garden hose and buckets then on the kerb outside as normal.

I really need to rotate them down to work for a full decontamination where I can do a proper job then pull them in, clay them, quick machine polish and wax. I have the space to pull them in a leave overnight while I take the van home. Just need to plan it in.

50287281918_3f5bcc7465_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I live in a mid-terrace house in an estate. So the car gets washed in the driveway. I keep my pressure washer, hose and detailing products in the shed in the back garden. So it's a bit annoying to have to drag them through the house twice when I wash the car. Thankfully I had a tap installed on the exterior front wall when the house was being built so at least I don't have a nose hooked up to the kitchen sink.

My driveway is sloped down towards the footpath/road so snow foam and shampoo quickly run off. However, there is also a gentle slope on the footpath going across the driveway entrance, which means that some of the foam and shampoo ends up on the footpath in front of one my neighbour's driveway. So I end up spending about as much time rinsing the foam and shampoo from the footpath as I do from the car. I'm very aware of it, so I do think that I do a decent job of keeping the area in front of their driveway clean. They have never complained, but they did only move in about 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Picked up the Lidl washer today, model is PHDP 180 A1
    Just wondering what sort of foam lance might work with it?

Nice setup Gumbo.

My drive slopes down towards the house and the surface can't be washed as its all loose sitting in a honeycomb structure. Pebbles would be everywhere

The summer toy is back on the road today and needs a wash, to be fair its not too bad but herselfs car is foul. There is a car wash place close to me. I wonder if they would snowfoam it, let it site for a while and rinse if I paid them and asked them not to wash it? Only one way to find out I guess. It would be 5 mins back home and I could work away with the garden hose and buckets then on the kerb outside as normal.

I really need to rotate them down to work for a full decontamination where I can do a proper job then pull them in, clay them, quick machine polish and wax. I have the space to pull them in a leave overnight while I take the van home. Just need to plan it in.

50287281918_3f5bcc7465_c.jpg

Damn, your kinda snookered there!
    Maybe initial rinse on the street and then bring it in for the drying and coating stage.

Just get a long enough house that extends out to the path and push the leftovers towards the road gully?

There’s plenty worse things a neighbour could be doing than washing their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sebdavis wrote: »
    Picked up the Lidl washer today, model is PHDP 180 A1
    Just wondering what sort of foam lance might work with it?

Lavor fitment as fas as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ended up buying a few things in halfords as I was beside it anyway getting house paint.
    Bought Auto Finesse snow foam which actually worked a treat, a few new micro fibers, new applicator sponges and Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Spray. All for just €40 with the trade card.

Gave the car a good go over. TFR, snow foam, clay bar, polish with Chemical Guys Black Light and then the ceramic spray.
    The paint looks great and feels glassy, we'll see how good a "quick ceramic coat" really is over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

vectra wrote: »
    Lavor fitment as fas as I am aware.

Thanks, sorry I am new to this, is that the type of connector the foam lancer needs to support? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

sebdavis wrote: »
    Thanks, sorry I am new to this, is that the type of connector the foam lancer needs to support? Thanks

That's the brand name lavor search for those and compare the connection with your machine.
    They should be the same.

Lads bought a banger as the bloody Saab died on me rough as feck but it will do until I can search for a proper car.
    Car was owned previously by a farmer so it's utterly manky inside.
    So far I have removed the seats cleaned and hoovered as much dog hair and i can.
    Just want to give the seats a good going over with the wet vac have g101 and autopia bio blue which one would be better to be used on fabrics .
    Any info on what sort of dilution to use on heavily soiled carpets and seats

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I imagine bio blue would be more designed for the job when it comes to cleaning, removing odours etc. Haven't used that product but some are highly concentrated, I'd probably go around 15:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would use 101 first to get the heavy gunk off, then use the Bio as a secondry cleaner plus deoderising at the same time.

Thanks for the replies I'll go with a combo of the two and see how it goes.

Its out for the season. Didn't do the snow foam so good rinse, two bucket wash and dry. Came up really well then about 8 hours later. Dirty rotten little ***** ***** *****

51093932761_d458b05de7_c.jpg

^^^^^always the same :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I was going some tidying in the garden and I dug this out. I was going to throw it out but decided to hang onto it. The reason is that I want to try out some of the newer polishes and pads and this looks like the ideal learning panel. I have used Chemical Guys V range and Hex-Logic pads but there's loads of new polishes that I'd like to try (Scholl, Zvizzer, etc). I'm thinking of the one step polishes.

The panel I think will be nice to try them on as it has a range of damage all the way to deep scratches.

PXL_20210404_150912297_copy_768x1365.jpg?dl=1

PXL_20210404_150929589_copy_768x1365.jpg?dl=1

On the other hand, if someone is looking for a Citroen AX bonnet, you can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What type of paint is on the new Volvo's? We are looking at Crystal White Pearlescent. Not sure if that a hard or a soft paint? Presumably hard. Currently driving a BMW with paint that is definitely hard.

I'm looking to buy a new machine, pads, and polish and clean and protect the car when we get it.

Ian - the one step polishes are good BUT they are really only 1 step when using a rotary polisher. I've been correcting my car over the last while and was using Scholl S20 one step and I found that it only broke down from compound to polish when using the rotary. This didn't work with the DA for some reason.

It's possible that I wasn't using the DA for long enough but I'm not so sure.

Scholl S3 is a superb compound by the way. That mated with a green Shinemate pad has scratches gone in less that a minute with the rotary machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

myshirt wrote: »
    What type of paint is on the new Volvo's? We are looking at Crystal White Pearlescent. Not sure if that a hard or a soft paint? Presumably hard. Currently driving a BMW with paint that is definitely hard.

I'm looking to buy a new machine, pads, and polish and clean and protect the car when we get it.

The truth is, it's extremely hard to gauge whether paint is soft or hard, or lies in between, until you start polishing it. I had a solid red 2017 VW Golf in last week, and all the original paint was very hard. Typically, nearly all solid (non metallic) paints that have been in the last few years have been very much on the softer side. I had a metallic black, brand new Golf that had a terrible dealership prep needing correction, that was softer-medium paint(,much to the surprise of the owner as his friend informed him that all VW have hard paint, despite his friend having never machine polished a car before!).

So the advice i would give is , if you can, have a variety of pads at hand(from finishing pads up to MF pads, combined with a heavy cut compound, medium cut compound and either a finishing polish, or an AIO or 3-In-1 type polish to finish off. Start with the least aggressive pad/combo. Check results(use a dedicated solution such a Gyeon Prep, CarPro Eraser, Gtechniq Panel Wipe).If not happy with correction results, step up the aggressiveness and repeat till you find a combo that works. Then top with a good quality sealant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ian - the one step polishes are good BUT they are really only 1 step when using a rotary polisher. I've been correcting my car over the last while and was using Scholl S20 one step and I found that it only broke down from compound to polish when using the rotary. This didn't work with the DA for some reason.

It's possible that I wasn't using the DA for long enough but I'm not so sure.

Scholl S3 is a superb compound by the way. That mated with a green Shinemate pad has scratches gone in less that a minute with the rotary machine.

Just to add to this I've found S20 to deliver excellent results and is my go to, but it does not remove 100% of the swirls on my (quite) hard VAG point with the DA. I'd say 80% which is Ok for me. If you are a weekend warrior chasing perfection then 2 step with a DA is the way to go, or as MM says pull the trigger with a rotary, but do your homework first.

• Advertisement

I used ADBL Tyre and Rubber cleaner at the weekend for the first time and I was highly impressed with it. It starts pulling dirt out out the tyre upon contact and cleans deep. Granted it didn't foam up too much while scrubbing but I can live with that.

I would highly recommend this product as it's another step or two above my previous tyre cleaner which is Bilt Hamber Surfex HD.

Advertisement