Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1Z1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Give it time. DayZ was the same at first, but quickly descended into madness :P

Will hold off buying this for now, and will wait for a few more first impressions from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Honestly i've zero interest in playing if you can just call in an airdrop and then be fully kitted.

You can't. The airdrops have a % to drop weapons but not guaranteed and they've already said there is a patch tomorrow to lower it a lot more.

Of course, they've lied once so we'll just see. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Honestly i've zero interest in playing if you can just call in an airdrop and then be fully kitted.

This is the point of early access as it gives the users a chance to give their feedback to the studio so they can change the game for when it launches.

But you can't just get fully kitted from an Airdrop. You can buy an "airdrop" but that comes from a great big noisy plane that flies over with green smoke coming out of it that can be seen for miles and miles and attracts all the zombies and players that are nearby and it becomes an "event".

Then after battling against all the zombies and players if you do manage to get your drop there is no guarantee it will contain anything, it might be empty or just have some skins or it might have water and food and guns.

And you can't get one until the server is 1/4 full, i think it is a good idea you will need to be a good team to manage to be able to buy and retrieve drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I think what's caused the most amount of upset is that time and time again (even as of 3 days ago) the dev team said that you won't be able obtain weapons/ammo or other advantageous gear via purchasables. They then change this stance on the day of launch (giving false pretense) and when confronted by it, Smedley said "Don't like it? Don't buy it". A big finger to your consumer base right there and very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

they should make it so that gun containing airdrops are items that you find but purchased airdrops should be cosmetic items only. That way people are still going to be drawn to airdrops that you pay for in the hope that it was a found airdrop you called in. You are then paying for a honeypot and a chance to ambush some players to get their items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can anyone who has played it tell me whats it like? I've been watching streams and it looks fairly good for EA, I have the money in my account but I'm a bit hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

they should make it so that gun containing airdrops are items that you find but purchased airdrops should be cosmetic items only. That way people are still going to be drawn to airdrops that you pay for in the hope that it was a found airdrop you called in. You are then paying for a honeypot and a chance to ambush some players to get their items.

Well this is what they said at the start.
    I've a feeling with all this uproar they'll remove weapons from airdrops or at least have server options to disable them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Framerate is good, but the severs are absolutely ****e at the moment. Lots of desync, all the AI is basically useless and there isn't any loot anywhere at all.
    I'd suggest holding out a few weeks, let them improve the server stuff and then it might be better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played a bit there for an hour or so, all i found was countless knifes and a few machetes, absolutely no food or drinks only berries which give you like 1% hydration and health before you lose that 1% almost as quick.
    I died from starvation,i cant judge from 1 hours play but as has been said on reddit there is nowhere near enough food and drink,post on reddit complaining that all people do is log in run around and fail to find food and drink and die rinse and repeat.
    Yeah its a survival game but that hour i played not a single item of use for food or drink makes me see why reddit is in uproar over this more so than the airdrops, which incidentally dont guarantee any loot and also can drop miles from you and be found by another player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The point being that you still need to have guns in some airdrops to make them appealing otherwise nobody will go near them. They should make the gun airdrops ones that you can find.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Played a bit there for an hour or so, all i found was countless knifes and a few machetes, absolutely no food or drinks only berries which give you like 1% hydration and health before you lose that 1% almost as quick.
    I died from starvation,i cant judge from 1 hours play but as has been said on reddit there is nowhere near enough food and drink,post on reddit complaining that all people do is log in run around and fail to find food and drink and die rinse and repeat.
    Yeah its a survival game but that hour i played not a single item of use for food or drink makes me see why reddit is in uproar over this more so than the airdrops, which incidentally dont guarantee any loot and also can drop miles from you and be found by another player.

You can make your own water just fyi.. If you have an empty bottle and it's raining out (presume if you go to a lake or something as well) you can use the bottle to collect dirty water. Then you need to build a fire (some discovery needed) and use the water in the fire to purify it.
    Not exactly sure how it works as I've not played yet. Might know more later :)

No idea the story with food.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Noxin wrote: »
    You can make your own water just fyi.. If you have an empty bottle and it's raining out (presume if you go to a lake or something as well) you can use the bottle to collect dirty water. Then you need to build a fire (some discovery needed) and use the water in the fire to purify it.
    Not exactly sure how it works as I've not played yet. Might know more later :)

No idea the story with food.

Didnt find so much as an empty bottle or can lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

The airdrops are the least of their worries with this game, it is hopeless. Looks terrible, plays terrible, the zombies are scared of you and there is no loot anywhere. At least when the Day Z mod launched it was messy but it was enjoyable. This is far worse than a mod made by an amatuer, how a studio of real developers can stand over this is a joke. Early access or not.

First play through went like this.
    • Spend 20 mins battling with the servers trying to join.
    • Spawn right next to a Zombie, oh **** better be quite and back away. Wait a minute he doesn't see me. Wonder what happens if I sneak up on him? Get within 5 feet he runs away! follow him, he keeps running five feet in front of me all that was missing was the Benny Hill music.
    • Finally catch him and a few punches to the head kills him, oh dear not a good start:(.
    • Look around everything starts jumping and glitching, wow it looks really bad. Really ugly. :(
    • See a little town, the next 20 mins are spent opening cabinets and refrigerators and finding nothing.
    • Decide to run on a bit maybe it had been picked dry.
    • Run for ten minutes get to the next town, all these buildings look familiar? yip they used the same assets again :(
    • About twenty mins spent searching and I found 1 t shirt. Picked it up and it instantly vanished. :(
    • Lets leave here and head to the next area, a small truck stop.
    • About twenty zombies here this could be dangerous but there might be good stuff.
    • Run in all the zombies ignore me, I search again for ten mins but find nothing.
    • I am about to die so I sit down.
    • Random dude punches me in the head. I am so utterly bored with the game I let him punch me to death as it is more interesting that continuing playing.

The only problem at the moment is poor servers, every problem you listed there is controlled by servers (zombie AI, animal AI, loot spawning etc) are all bad at the moment. On their small scale tests with only developers on it these problems never occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sounds a lot like DayZ tbh. With less ladder death.

:( Why it so hard to make a good survival game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

From about 30 mins gameplay, there is no loot anywhere at all, atmosphere is nice and spooky, UI is not particularly intuitive, crouching seems to have 3 phases to it.... really wish I had not bought it.

Other than the creepy atmosphere (screams in distance, foggy, dark) it was quite underwhelming in both graphics and gameplay.

20 euro is not alot, but I would say perhaps, that it is worth waiting until they make it playable.

Also, you have to create a new character name when you join a server, but you cannot use a name used on another server, even for a character YOU have created - so basically you need to constantly come up with unique names, which is a terrible lack of foresight - "Hi, my name is KJT67RT1". Morons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Here's part 1 of my First Impressions videos on the game:

Myself & the lads jumped on this morning & gave it a good bash. We have been struggling with the surviving part of it. Trying to stay energized & hydrated is tough at the moment. Enjoying it so far, met a bunch of people that seemed fine. Have only been killed once.

Going to hop on now & see how we get on. Part 2 of the first impressions will be up later at some stage.

Cheers

The only problem at the moment is poor servers, every problem you listed there is controlled by servers (zombie AI, animal AI, loot spawning etc) are all bad at the moment. On their small scale tests with only developers on it these problems never occurred.

Devs are all asleep atm too which is probably why it's not been fixed yet. They were all told to go home due to lack of sleep while another team came in, presumably just to make sure the servers were "live".
    Bet by the time I get home the devs will be back online and the game servers will be taken offline for a patch to stop me from playing :pac::p
    Also, you have to create a new character name when you join a server, but you cannot use a name used on another server, even for a character YOU have created - so basically you need to constantly come up with unique names, which is a terrible lack of foresight - "Hi, my name is KJT67RT1". Morons.

This is very stupid alright. But will also be fixed. Have no fear of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

The server browser is trash atm. You cant tell how many people are in any one server, and instead get Very high, High, Medium, and Low. I've seen none with a Low population. all the rest i've tried to enter been put in position in line with an estimated time to join server, most with hours of waiting to join... regardless of it having medium, high, or very high population.
    and the lack of EU servers means if you want to get in one, be prepared to wait several hours queuing up to get in. There a loads of US servers, and only a handfull of EU.

Played an hour earlier after getting into a US server, and found some water, field after field of nothing for 10/15 minutes. The few houses and cars i looted had nothing. Underwhelmed really, from some of the dev streams i thought it was going to be alot better. If the weapons are a scarce as they seem to be, its BS that you can buy them with airdrops. it doesnt matter that others can hear and see the drop.

Update from Devs:
    Here's what's on the immediate horizon
    Lag fix - we're well aware of many servers seeing heavy lag. We have a fix incoming this am.
    Hitting the play button to a server and nothing happens or you don't get in - this is directly related to #1
    G29 / G99 errors - we know what the root cause of this is (we're getting information from Steam too slowly in a lot of cases)- this will be fixed.
    Very little loot - already fixed and will go up with a hotfix asap.
    Airdrops - many fixes including how close they drop to you, how wide a radius they drop in.. airplane speed.. and of course making guns way, way less common.
    I know there are a ton of other issues but wanted to address the big ones right now. We'll need to bring the servers down later this morning or early afternoon to fix these things.
    If you don't see your issue on this list it doesn't mean we aren't working on it.. it's just we're hitting the big problems first.
    Thanks
    Smed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

played a few hours today, thoughts;

paying for crates, airdrops etc is stupid, kinda ruins the whole survival aspect
    the character naming server thing sucks
    queues for servers is completely unnecessary, why not just have full or not full??
    graphics are okay. nothing special.
    movement and menus is pretty user friendly and responsive, a refreshing change from dayz
    fist fighting to the death is fun (about the only fun thing to do atm)
    need moar loots

Has anyone managed to get in to a EU server? Apparently we are getting 200 more by Tuesday thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I know servers are tight but is anyone playing on a particular one here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Would be nice to get a boardsie presence on some server, maybe come Tuesday we can do it. Servers are meant to be coming back at 12.30 tonight. Hopefully can get some decent hours played

I agree it would be good to get a group together but I would hold off for a few days. They said earlier that around 200 more euro servers are to go live by Tuesday (doubting the numbers...) but hopefully there will be more and it'll be easier to access. We could organise something then.

Up again.

Jumped on Unhinged, it's got a 1min wait and only medium population.

And it crashed, so I'm just making characters on ever Eu server so I can find the easier.

Varik wrote: »
    And it crashed, so I'm just making characters on ever Eu server so I can find the easier.

I have characters everywhere. Getting constant discons after a few min. Lots are.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

It seems impossible to get into a server right now. Who ever designed that server browser in this game is a sadist. Dont put me in a queue for 2 hours, just tell me the servers full so i can try another. I keep having to restart the game after backing out of a queue because the Join server button stops working... Afew minutes ago i managed to get into 9th place on an EU server, i was excited!, about 10 minutes later i was in 3rd spot and the game crashes back to desktop.

• Advertisement

It seems impossible to get into a server right now. Who ever designed that server browser in this game is a sadist. Dont put me in a queue for 2 hours, just tell me the servers full so i can try another. I keep having to restart the game after backing out of a queue because the Join server button stops working... Afew minutes ago i managed to get into 9th place on an EU server, i was excited!, about 10 minutes later i was in 3rd spot and the game crashes back to desktop.

The game crash probably means the server went down. They are still having problems. Very annoying alright.

Advertisement