Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Have tonne of phisolith to spread.
    I'd like to get a grazing of it at least if u could
    If its up a week after sowing there us still 15 units of N there for the plant

You will get a grazing off it alright might take up to two weeks before its up tho.
    Keep it tight as you can going into winter .
    Goes in ****e if you don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Possibly will reseed this 8ac next week depending on weather and what other work we have going on. Herd my question.
    0-10-20 vs 10-10-20
    Talking to two lads the other day and they reckoned 0-10-20 was better to use at sowing.
    There view on it was with 10-10-20 the nitrogen isn't utilised and you only drive up weeds.
    Any one else use 0-10-20.
    Only need 1200kgs so will just drive down to coop for it. They have both there

I'd go with 101020 if the weeds aren't going to grow as well without n the grass won't establish as well either and you'll be spraying off weeds either way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Go with 10 10 20,weeds will come up regardless,also go with bag and a half of pasture sward after 3 weeks.new seeds live n p and k.graze as soon as possible after 6 to 7 weeks if well established then a ligh grazing every 2 weeks till mid October .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Go with 10 10 20,weeds will come up regardless,also go with bag and a half of pasture sward after 3 weeks.new seeds live n p and k.graze as soon as possible after 6 to 7 weeks if well established then a ligh grazing every 2 weeks till mid October .

Ye I'll get a big bag of pasture sward over 8 acres should be enough.
    Biggest mistake we made before when reseeding was not putting out the the fert when it was established.
    Reseed we did last summer is crap as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I was at the teagasc/giil monitor farm walk yesterday. Good farm and farmer. No reseeding done for a good while but most of the swards looked to be in very good order. All of the farm was index 1/2 and teagasc were recommending that the indexes were sorted before any reseeding was done. He's on course to grow 13+ tonnes this year up from 10 a few years ago. He's been following a fert and lime programme for the past three years to move the farm to index three. Is reseeding sometimes an expensive way of papering over the cracks in our soil fertility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Any rough idea what the fert/lime prog was?
    Most of here is in 2 and want to bring it up to grow more grass

Btw was on a 'better beef' farm this spring and he was growing a lot of grass as well and he didn't know when and fields were reseeded last!
    I think he was mostly 3 and 4's tho so he had a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ellewood wrote: »
    Any rough idea what the fert/lime prog was?
    Most of here is in 2 and want to bring it up to grow more grass

Btw was on a 'better beef' farm this spring and he was growing a lot of grass as well and he didn't know when and fields were reseeded last!
    I think he was mostly 3 and 4's tho so he had a good start.

Lime was to the soil analysis from four to ten tonnes required on different plots. A lot of 18.6.12 being used and 27.2.5.5 throughout the season. He uses the 18.6.12 early and late though he used some on this rotation to get things moving after the drought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If one is in derogation territory bringing up the p index is difficult enough if one is to stay within the rules. Do many of ye test slurry before application?

At the monitor farm walk in today in Wexford. Very good.
    Teagasc say 100 units to go from index one to index3
    I'll be looking to get the monitor farm for next 3 yrs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

At the monitor farm walk in today in Wexford. Very good.
    Teagasc say 100 units to go from index one to index3
    I'll be looking to get the monitor farm for next 3 yrs :)

Is that 100 units of P and K ?

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is that 100 units of P and K ?

They were just talking about p there. If ye take P @200/tonne thats 20k for a 100 acre farm.

I was at the teagasc/giil monitor farm walk yesterday. Good farm and farmer. No reseeding done for a good while but most of the swards looked to be in very good order. All of the farm was index 1/2 and teagasc were recommending that the indexes were sorted before any reseeding was done. He's on course to grow 13+ tonnes this year up from 10 a few years ago. He's been following a fert and lime programme for the past three years to move the farm to index three. Is reseeding sometimes an expensive way of papering over the cracks in our soil fertility?

IMO from being at the IGA tour this week andvtge monitor farm today I think if you have scutch/bent grass reseed it. If you have old swards leave them until you get p and k up then reseed.
    I have 10 more acres more to do next yr that has scutch and then I will hold on for a yr or two and spend the money on fert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reseeding with poor soil fertility is like building without a foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

just do it wrote: »
    Reseeding with poor soil fertility is like building without a foundation.

I have a poor field myself and was thinking of putting in 3 tonne of lime now and 4 bags of 10.10.20 and set a field of rape and come and reseed in the spring and come in with another 3 tonne of lime and 4 bags of 10,10,20 is this a good or a bad idea or what do ye people think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Night Nav wrote: »
    I have a poor field myself and was thinking of putting in 3 tonne of lime now and 4 bags of 10.10.20 and set a field of rape and come and reseed in the spring and come in with another 3 tonne of lime and 4 bags of 10,10,20 is this a good or a bad idea or what do ye people think

Take a soil sample first an you'll know what you will need to put out. On the rape if grazing over winter you also have to take in to account the physical damage to the structure of the soil as weĺl

That's way too much lime in one yr.
    3 tonne Max in one yr. You will lock up every mineral and trace elument in the field
    As milked out said take a soil sample.
    Have you a recent soil sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Thats a good idea ,but an expensive one about €350 an acre for lime and fertilizer alone .
    You would want to be growing "wacky backy " to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Is reseeding sometimes an expensive way of papering over the cracks in our soil fertility?
    You are correct, but older crap grass still isn't as good a newer crap grass. What people should do is look at over seeding, but that still means having the basics right and management

A liming leaflet from teagasc
    http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2010/20100910a/AdviceOnLiming.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Is anyone else finding it impossible to get ground sprayed off reseeding, very hard to get a few calm hours and dry grass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

agriman27 wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding it impossible to get ground sprayed off reseeding, very hard to get a few calm hours and dry grass

2 good weeks coming for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

just do it wrote: »
    2 good weeks coming for it.

Yeah I'm sick thought the chance was gone for this year and made decision not to reseed will wait till spring

Reseeding tomorrow. I could nearly light a fire on the ground the grass is that dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Reseeding tomorrow. I could nearly light a fire on the ground the grass is that dry
    ploughed some black ground last week despite 4wd slipping on surface it's bone dry an inch down

sandydan wrote: »
    ploughed some black ground last week despite 4wd slipping on surface it's bone dry an inch down

There's a nice biy of moisture in the ground so should get a good take

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

The sunny south east :D

There's a nice biy of moisture in the ground so should get a good take
    seed put in 3 weeks ago has taken off, thought it was gone for pigeon :eek: feed

seed put in 3 weeks ago has taken off, thought it was gone for pigeon :eek: feed

Only came up now?

Only came up now?

yea, fellas allround me soaked , had 8 acres saved for 2nd cut sold it to fella needing roughage for bulls, nearest thing to crisped iv'e ever seen,didn't pay for fertilizer:(. he made round bales of it 4 days after cutting dont know if he wrapped it or not , rang several times to know if it's raining and he lives 4 miles away

yea, fellas allround me soaked , had 8 acres saved for 2nd cut sold it to fella needing roughage for bulls, nearest thing to crisped iv'e ever seen,didn't pay for fertilizer:(. he made round bales of it 4 days after cutting dont know if he wrapped it or not , rang several times to know if it's raining and he lives 4 miles away

Got a good dollip of rain here too. 3rd cut looking okay. Light enough too

• Advertisement

Got a good dollip of rain here too. 3rd cut looking okay. Light enough too
    im half afraid to put out fert , i think roots are turned up as cattle are pulling clumps of grass, at minute. neighbour cut grass a few weeks ago and fed older bales to dry cattle instead,was afraid cattle would trample grass into ground as it had seeded out , difference he has river running by land for water source to dilute watery slurry even more and that's working now, but two streams running through mine are nearly dry, fellas have to careful even sucking water out of river for that crack too , a few years ago a fella had dedicated hose for it and made news as was reported as pumping slurry into river.im okay for winter feed, bit slow selling bales as ive been stung a few times , maddening to see the culprits standing rounds of drink in pubs a few times one even had gall to offer to pay for round of drinks i had ordered, must think 1 7up for friend and pint of Guinness for myself was payment

Advertisement