Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

MJ, have you a figure on tonnes grown

Normal silage grass done 5.7t so far. Off one cut. Still have to take second cut off it. Down 5 yrs

Itailian 8.3t from two cuts
    That's just from weighing it before I cut. Might get another 5 bales/ac next cut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

MJ, have you a figure on tonnes grown

This is a field away from milk block with no crush and limited handling facalites .as regards tonnes grown don't know as I don't measure it as it's just purely for silage .on the 2 cuts taken ive got just over 12 bales per acre so far of well wilted silage with high dm content.

stanflt wrote: »
    Could you or would it work to oversow crimson into existing silage swaths with a rakeman 3000 or similar

Yes ,crimson though is a bit brittle but loaded with protein .took a core of first cut I took and results were phenomenal ,83.4 dmd,46.8 dm and 19.6% protein

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yes ,crimson though is a bit brittle but loaded with protein .took a core of first cut I took and results were phenomenal ,83.4 dmd,46.8 dm and 19.6% protein

Christ, imagine feeding them along with wholecrop next spring, u may aswell start milking three times a day :D:D

Seen an add there on done deal for a company that makes sees mixtures. It said if doing a reseed in spring why not add westorwolds to the mix. It will grow 20-25 t/acre in the yr of sowing.
    Anyone sow westorwolds before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Seen an add there on done deal for a company that makes sees mixtures. It said if doing a reseed in spring why not add westorwolds to the mix. It will grow 20-25 t/acre in the yr of sowing.

Used to drill after maize for zgrazing in feb & march. Thank god that madness ended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

Used to drill after maize for zgrazing in feb & march. Thank god that madness ended

The maize or the westerwold

Hardship?
    Was the grass quality good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

stanflt wrote: »
    The maize or the westerwold

I knew you'd ask, maize and zgrazing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya as above put it in after maize, it's almost like scutch! Gave an early bite in spring, not very palatable as a grazing grass. Needs to be sprayed off before ploughing in or else it comes up in the following maize crop.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tezza99

6 kg tyrella
    4 kg abberchoice
    4 kg Aston energy
    No clover
    Been set next Tuesday.gives a really thick sward with good all season growth.set same mix for last 2 years .very impressed.ob the Aston energy can anyone tell me why it ain't on the Irish approved list??.grows very well in greenfield and know 2 other guys that set it as a stand alone mix and massively impressed

Where did you buy this mix? Or did you have to get it made up especially?

Tezza99 wrote: »

Got it made up as a special,put it out to 3 companies to get quotes and there was 4 euro a bag difference between cheapest and dearest .bought off shamrock enterprises

Tezza99 wrote: »

Got it made up as a special,put it out to 3 companies to get quotes and there was 4 euro a bag difference between cheapest and dearest .bought off shamrock enterprises

Got 8 bags of tyrella aberchoice and abergain for 68e/bag today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I sowed grasseed 1 week ago its up today, it that a world record ?:)

Job done just before rain

Mine is longer than yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

dharn wrote: »
    I sowed grasseed 1 week ago its up today, it that a world record ?:)

i scattered a fistful and covered it 2 weeks ago in field i have ready and no stir , but docks appearing already , thinking of waiting another week and respraying the fu**c**

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Do any of yee just use permanent pasture from glanbia? What's it like?

Do any of yee just use permanent pasture from glanbia? What's it like?

What's in it? We buy the seed off them. Makes no difference as long as its the variety's you want and the price is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Has anyone ever used any of the wetland grass seed mixture for heavy type solis, a few of the companies are doing them now

Job done just before rain
    nice job well done

tried one of those and spent days stone picking,but good job when you have soil ,have to disc and direct drill after breaking sods, because of lack of soil depth,

sandydan wrote: »
    nice job well done

tried one of those and spent days stone picking,but good job when you have soil ,have to disc and direct drill after breaking sods, because of lack of soil depth,

13 acres and picked about 10 stones when rolling find ripper a great job tbh.have I tried a stitcher ?just burn off,cut for silage or graze bare and seed in.seen it been done in places with little soil and a good job

13 acres and picked about 10 stones when rolling find ripper a great job tbh.have I tried a stitcher ?just burn off,cut for silage or graze bare and seed in.seen it been done in places with little soil and a good job
    a few years back while i was in crutches my 15 yr old son ploughed 6 acres of reclaimed mountain with fiskers plough, pulled up everything he met,so got digger back to deep-bury the ones bigger than a barrel down to football size about 10 trailer loads for start, got in fella to row and heap about 80 trailer loads in all. id say ive about 4 acres with no stone

sandydan wrote: »
    a few years back while i was in crutches my 15 yr old son ploughed 6 acres of reclaimed mountain with fiskers plough, pulled up everything he met,so got digger back to deep-bury the ones bigger than a barrel down to football size about 10 trailer loads for start, got in fella to row and heap about 80 trailer loads in all. id say ive about 4 acres with no stone

Where you based? We have this lad coming next week to price a job. Does super work.http://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/stones-bushes-stumps-rushes/5110671

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Where you based? We have this lad coming next week to price a job. Does super work.http://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/stones-bushes-stumps-rushes/5110671

Some line out were they in the journal a while back

down in west cork.have seen something like that in action around Kinsale .but limit to size of stone involved id say.i have hit boulders up to 10 ton. size of D6
    rock-breaker only man for job or air drill & black powder if ground soft underneath.cost a mint

last job reclaimed 14 acres. got in fella with big Cat digger and dumper, massive job dug all ground about 6 foot deep. and buried some monsters, sandy under about 8 foot down in some parts. but digger was barely able to move them , just a nub cocking over ground think you'd break it with sledge but.. ,think it cost around £9,500 + vat, not including reseeding or stone-picking, cutting silage off it now . one contractor who used to cut silage for me when i asked him if he could powerharrow it for me while waiting for digger to come back to bury stones that came up when ploughing and stone raking advised to give it a rub of a bush after reseeding and twould be fine for grazing. fat chance after spending that much on it digging

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What is the latest i could leave stitching in some grass seed?

• Advertisement

Mid sept ?

Advertisement