Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Lads in my DG group put grazon in with the round up leaves a very clean sward

Might try that next time.. I asked the local merchant about mixing the two and he was dead against it.. apparently the active chemicals react..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

larthehar wrote: »
    Might try that next time.. I asked the local merchant about mixing the two and he was dead against it.. apparently the active chemicals react..

The lad that told me thus now has a lot if vegetables and fruit as well as cows and would know his stuff about sprays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

I hate picking stones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

larthehar wrote: »
    used both together in knapsack to spray briars etc under fences its a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

stanflt wrote: »
    I hate picking stones!!!

you have no idea how lucky you are if I could show you the land I was picking stones on yesterday,
    we were filling a dumptrailer every 50 - 60 yards

have to take a different approach to the rest of the land though
    I might get a guy with those stone crushers for tractors,

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    used both together in knapsack to spray briars etc under fences its a great job.

Only prob is it is very expensive if you go to do large areas.
    One can only makes 150litres

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Only prob is it is very expensive if you go to do large areas.
    One can only makes 150litres
    that would be 10 knapsacks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

you have no idea how lucky you are if I could show you the land I was picking stones on yesterday,
    we were filling a dumptrailer every 50 - 60 yards

have to take a different approach to the rest of the land though
    I might get a guy with those stone crushers for tractors,

Was only talking to a lad this evening to get him in with a rake that will at least leave the stones in rows and should be a bit easier to gather them up. Have too much other stuff to do than picking stones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

stanflt wrote: »
    I hate picking stones!!!

I'm still picking stones from the last bit I reseeded in september! Bloody boulders I'm finding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

Have some overseeding done a week now, serious rain here the last few hours should crown it, very welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Parishlad wrote: »
    Was only talking to a lad this evening to get him in with a rake that will at least leave the stones in rows and should be a bit easier to gather them up. Have too much other stuff to do than picking stones!

you could gather from the rows with a riddle bucket or a beet bucket to take all the work out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

you could gather from the rows with a riddle bucket or a beet bucket to take all the work out of it

Mate of mine made a stone rake for the back of the tractor this year , it worked well . Puts two rows into a line and he just came along then with the digger and riddling bucket to throw them into the dumptrailer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

moy83 wrote: »
    Mate of mine made a stone rake for the back of the tractor this year , it worked well . Puts two rows into a line and he just came along then with the digger and riddling bucket to throw them into the dumptrailer

Love to see a picture of that machine in action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

Cleaned out a 1/4 acre old paddock, gained from over 4' to over 10' at an angle when we cleared the bushes etc.... But did we have some cleanup... Rotten remains of Old beetles & morris minors, the spot where the manure bags were dumped (totally disintegrated into pieces), the spot where the building rubble was dumped and the bottle bank.... Picked up about 7 manure bags of broken bottles, twine & disintegrated plastic.

Took 11 tractor loader buckets of stones off it as well (they'll fill in a few gaps) and a load for the scrap metal man.

Now I know why the ditch was allowed grow so far out into the paddock.... But sure at least it's cleaned up now & reseeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

razor8 wrote: »
    Love to see a picture of that machine in action

I think he is on Facebook and probably has the pictures up there . Ill find out later and pm you .
    Its like a rotospike with the spikes at an angle to throw the stones out to one side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Cut and graze; 2.5 glenveagh 2.5 piccadilly 2.5 stefani 3.5 aberplentiful .75 clover opinions? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

nashmach wrote: »
    Because clover is not a fan of wetland and also it does not like being poached etc which is inevitable to a degree with wetter land.

I don't know if l'd agree with this. Have plenty of clover growing here on land that would have heavy sticky 'daub' type subsoil with only a couple if inches of topsoil. Would have good amount of clover in the swarth. Unreal this year with the heat.

I think, like grass it's how it's managed. Graze and/or top tight and move cattle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

td5man wrote: »
    Cut and graze; 2.5 glenveagh 2.5 piccadilly 2.5 stefani 3.5 aberplentiful .75 clover opinions? ??

Is it bought td5man? If not ring germinal seeds and ask who supplies their seed in you're locality, buy the the top five extend mix with abergain, aberchoice and tyrella, you won't regret it :D

ted_182 wrote: »
    Is it bought td5man? If not ring germinal seeds and ask who supplies their seed in you're locality, buy the the top five extend mix with abergain, aberchoice and tyrella, you won't regret it :D

Nope, I have abergain aberchoice tyrella and drumbo mix sown last autumn.
    What would it be like for 3 cuts of silage?

Nope, I have abergain aberchoice tyrella and drumbo mix sown last autumn.
    What would it be like for 3 cuts of silage?

Would ye sow a hybrid?

• Advertisement

Would ye sow a hybrid?

Was thinking about it, how many years would you expect to get out of it?
    Local supplier has tetragraze and solid.

Was thinking about it, how many years would you expect to get out of it?

4-5 if looked after well.
    New variety Moore park have on trial looks promising.
    Lasts 10 yrs
    Closes up at 400 opened at 4090.
    Grazed this yr every 10-14 days.
    Lads poached the arse out of it down there this spring and was still there.
    Very hard to manage if you have a considerable area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would ye sow a hybrid?

Just wondering ye guys think of the hybrids?. Have used IRG before but was a bit disapointed with it. Part my own fault, sowed it in a heavy soil field which meant taking cuts of silage of it were weather dependant rather than cutting at the leafy stage. Found second cut went to seed very quickly and also only got 3 seasons out of it.
    Have been reseeding for the last few years and have a field to do close to the farmyard next which I intend to use for taking silage off. Would ye recommend putting in a hybrid and reseed again 5 years later or put in a more conventional mix that would give me two cuts and last 8 to 10 years. Field is a good dry one with good soil fertility

Robson99 wrote: »
    Just wondering ye guys think of the hybrids?. Have used IRG before but was a bit disapointed with it. Part my own fault, sowed it in a heavy soil field which meant taking cuts of silage of it were weather dependant rather than cutting at the leafy stage. Found second cut went to seed very quickly and also only got 3 seasons out of it.
    Have been reseeding for the last few years and have a field to do close to the farmyard next which I intend to use for taking silage off. Would ye recommend putting in a hybrid and reseed again 5 years later or put in a more conventional mix that would give me two cuts and last 8 to 10 years. Field is a good dry one with good soil fertility
    I sowed 12 ac of hybrid this spring. V happy with it do far. Cut two weeks ago and a hood cover of 1000 on it already will cut again cone September. We sowed 8 ac of itailian last yr and can't compare it to hybrid. Complete different beast. Much thicker base. I plan on sowing the rest of that 40 acre field to hybrid next autumn

I sowed 12 ac of hybrid this spring. V happy with it do far. Cut two weeks ago and a hood cover of 1000 on it already will cut again cone September. We sowed 8 ac of itailian last yr and can't compare it to hybrid. Complete different beast. Much thicker base. I plan on sowing the rest of that 40 acre field to hybrid next autumn

Which variety have you got gg?

Which variety have you got gg?

Pirol and abereve I think is the other one.
    Advisor was here few weeks ago and said itailian is really only grass crossed with barley its main aim is to go to seed and grow as quick as it can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't know if l'd agree with this. Have plenty of clover growing here on land that would have heavy sticky 'daub' type subsoil with only a couple if inches of topsoil. Would have good amount of clover in the swarth. Unreal this year with the heat.

I think, like grass it's how it's managed. Graze and/or top tight and move cattle on.
    how do you reseed the 'daub' type ground muckit..would imagine turning the sod over would not be an option due to depth of topsoil.have this ground mezelf,be interesting to know your system.tha ks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I put In an irg/crimson mix on April 15 this year .grazed with calves 5 weeks after sowingvtobthicken it up,2 cuts taken of it since and a third cut in September,savage stuff to grow.beeds to be managed correctly though ,don't poach it,don't cut it very low and cruical to cut every 4 to 5 weeks max.its primarily a silage mix and just wants to be cut and fed n p and k.it would be very hard to manage in a grazing system as id say at peak growth you'd need to be in it every 7 to 9 days.id be more inclined to put in a traditional mix with good mix of all year growth rather than hybrid or irg unless it's specifically for silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I put In an irg/crimson mix on April 15 this year .grazed with calves 5 weeks after sowingvtobthicken it up,2 cuts taken of it since and a third cut in September,savage stuff to grow.beeds to be managed correctly though ,don't poach it,don't cut it very low and cruical to cut every 4 to 5 weeks max.its primarily a silage mix and just wants to be cut and fed n p and k.it would be very hard to manage in a grazing system as id say at peak growth you'd need to be in it every 7 to 9 days.id be more inclined to put in a traditional mix with good mix of all year growth rather than hybrid or irg unless it's specifically for silage

MJ, have you a figure on tonnes grown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

mahoney_j wrote: »

Could you or would it work to oversow crimson into existing silage swaths with a rakeman 3000 or similar

Advertisement