Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

Have anyone used Tipperary Grass from Agritech what are they like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Roundbale

Where you based? We have this lad coming next week to price a job. Does super work.]

What kind of ground are they doing for you, is it light soil with rocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Roundbale wrote: »
    What kind of ground are they doing for you, is it light soil with rocks?

He was here today.
    Its 5 acres of wood we cleared in a 33 acre field that we never finished. Its all gone over grown now with Sally's . he said it would be best to clear it again and his machine would chop up the stumps and roots and leave it ready for sowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Night Nav wrote: »

I used their 4A early may, took a long time to get going due to the weather .. first it was actually water logged for 10 days and then hit by drought

grazed it twice with sheep & have taken 1 grazing with the cows , certianly seemed to lift milk yield

havent seen it over 2 weeks , if anything it has a little too much clover for my liking

spoke to the Sinclair McGill rep at the show yesterday & most likely be using their seed next time

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

jt65 wrote: »
    I used their 4A early may, took a long time to get going due to the weather .. first it was actually water logged for 10 days and then hit by drought

grazed it twice with sheep & have taken 1 grazing with the cows , certianly seemed to lift milk yield

havent seen it over 2 weeks , if anything it has a little too much clover for my liking

spoke to the Sinclair McGill rep at the show yesterday & most likely be using their seed next time

Thanks for your experience but would like to hear more of the long term as I have 10 acres of a hill to do with a nice few stones and would not like to be going back in the near future was thinking of going in with their No.4

• Advertisement

Thanks for your experience but would like to hear more of the long term as I have 10 acres of a hill to do with a nice few stones and would not like to be going back in the near future was thinking of going in with their No.4

I know a fellow that does a a fair bit of reseeding every year and uses their mix

his land would be good though

I'd have some like yourself for doing too but would be more sandy nature , got burned this year , the rep yesterday recommended their mix for this, their brochure is still in the jeep , must check it in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Anyone here have a recommendation for boggy ground well drained now, actually grows clover, and tests say it does not need lime, but a lot of tired grass in it now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya use 4a here too last year. A high nitrogen regime probably suits it better. Good early spring growth, but a bit open. Have a paddock reseeded about 3 years also and it grows well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

dharn wrote: »
    Anyone here have a recommendation for boggy ground well drained now, actually grows clover, and tests say it does not need lime, but a lot of tired grass in it now

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

If it's level I'd recommend spray, cut/ graze tight 5 days later, chain harrow, seed, roll. And obviously fertilizer. Has worked for me and wont leave it prone to poaching like any form of cultivation will. If you're not in a hurry I'd leave it till April/ May next year and then at least you'll be sure you'll get to graze it at least 2-3 times before closing for winter.

I'm amazed it doesn't need lime. Have you applied lime in the last few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

just do it wrote: »
    If it's level I'd recommend spray, cut/ graze tight 5 days later, chain harrow, seed, roll. And obviously fertilizer. Has worked for me and wont leave it prone to poaching like any form of cultivation will. If you're not in a hurry I'd leave it till April/ May next year and then at least you'll be sure you'll get to graze it at least 2-3 times before closing for winter.

Tests on ground like that can be misleading, sometimes it would not be working as hard to grow grass as it can be full of thrash

+1 on leaving it, let it dry out, give it a run of round up before growth stops and again in April, mulch it, chain harrow and seed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

are you far inland, friend had problem like yours for years until about 4 years ago,sent sample everywhere,all ok or so he was told. if he didn't use something like 27.2.5,5 had little grass. eventually soil and herbage sample was sent to some lab in Scotland and he was told to use 21% N, it worked .too much salt (from sea) was tying up P&K. just thought id mention it. he never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Robson99

jt65 wrote: »

Which mix were you thinking of jt65

just do it wrote: »

Thanks for answers lads , the question was more about seed mixes, what types of grass prefer wet feet ! As for lime, it was tested a few times when I was in reps , no lime needed but I would definitely use gran lime when sowing

Robson99 wrote: »
    Which mix were you thinking of jt65

Prosper

haven't really checked them out yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thanks for answers lads , the question was more about seed mixes, what types of grass prefer wet feet ! As for lime, it was tested a few times when I was in reps , no lime needed but I would definitely use gran lime when sowing
    I would include about 10% Timothy for wetish land

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Moregrass and drummonds have wetland mixes probly some other seed companies doing them too. They seem to include late heading varieties and Timothy. I have often asked on here has anyone used them mixes but nobody has. Hope you use it so I can hear if there any good:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I would go with 100% diploid. variety suggestions would be late heading and from the 2014 Department list.

my suggestion 50:50 mix of Aberchoice: Drumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

agriman27 wrote: »
    Moregrass and drummonds have wetland mixes probly some other seed companies doing them too. They seem to include late heading varieties and Timothy. I have often asked on here has anyone used them mixes but nobody has. Hope you use it so I can hear if there any good:pac:

An ex-mod mod on here mentioned a mix he used successfully for wet land but I can't recall what he'd in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

dont want to change subject , but have a field of grass had saved for silage, with drought its gone withered cattle dont like it ,no one around making pit silage to throw it in bottom of pit either so grazing ,any suggestions what to do with remainder of trampled grass. mow with old harvester or mower problem with mower is grass left on field.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use roseate to spray off with. Used it last week. Looks like it did the job. 100e for 20l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone ever use roseate to spray off with. Used it last week. Looks like it did the job. 100e for 20l

Used it last year, worked the finest, I'd be thinking that was a tad dear though, I'd have to check what I gave for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

20 Ltrs clearall 55 euro.4 Ltrs per he ,burnt everything to a crisp

mahoney_j wrote: »
    20 Ltrs clearall 55 euro.4 Ltrs per he ,burnt everything to a crisp

I'm sickened now :( never heard of that before.
    Put mine at 6l/ha
    Good bit of scutch in it that I don't want coming back.

Possibly will reseed this 8ac next week depending on weather and what other work we have going on. Herd my question.
    0-10-20 vs 10-10-20
    Talking to two lads the other day and they reckoned 0-10-20 was better to use at sowing.
    There view on it was with 10-10-20 the nitrogen isn't utilised and you only drive up weeds.
    Any one else use 0-10-20.
    Only need 1200kgs so will just drive down to coop for it. They have both there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Possibly will reseed this 8ac next week depending on weather and what other work we have going on. Herd my question.
    0-10-20 vs 10-10-20
    Talking to two lads the other day and they reckoned 0-10-20 was better to use at sowing.
    There view on it was with 10-10-20 the nitrogen isn't utilised and you only drive up weeds.

When would it need to get some N?

td5man wrote: »
    When would it need to get some N?

Will be putting pasture sward out the minute its up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

0-10-20 vs 10-10-20

I'd b of the opinion to use the 10 10 20 anyway, use a post emergence on weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Have you lime spread ?
    Id be tinking the same throw out the 0-10-20 and then your pasture when its up.

• Advertisement

Have you lime spread ?
    Id be tinking the same throw out the 0-10-20 and then your pasture when its up.
    Have tonne of phisolith to spread.
    I'd like to get a grazing of it at least if u could
    If its up a week after sowing there us still 15 units of N there for the plant

Advertisement