Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options
  • 09-04-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

going reseeding later in the year was thinking of spraying of and then stitching in with one pass is it a good job

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

i strongly believe nothing beats the plough for reeseding. about three years ago I tried discing the field twice and set with the one pass. the field is still only average to grow. ph is perfect and level 4s for p+k so no problem there.
    anything I ever ploughed on my ground turned out a mighty job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

f140 wrote: »
    i strongly believe nothing beats the plough for reeseding. about three years ago I tried discing the field twice and set with the one pass. the field is still only average to grow. ph is perfect and level 4s for p+k so no problem there.
    anything I ever ploughed on my ground turned out a mighty job.

Ye its more of a case of finding what suits your ground. I've ploughed ground here for reseeding and its worked well.
    Also disced and worked equally as good if not better as it has a lot of nutrients to get at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Did the disc and power harrow route here mighty job

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Could you power harrow without discing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Or disc without power-harrowing? Was thinking about getting a 2nd hand harrow and doing my own reseeding, but man told me the MF 390 would scarcely work it; he said you really need 6 cylinders plus plenty of weight to run a power harrow properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

i have 3m lely power harrow on 4wd 390 and its not hard worked. i used heavier power harrows and except for the weight of them i worked them sound. thing with harrow is you dont go deep to start. hard to beat 390

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What's the difference between a power harrow and a stone burier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Muckit wrote: »
    What's the difference between a power harrow and a stone burier?

a stoneburier is a rotavator running in the opposite direction
    one here with tractor and driver for hire. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sprayed off ground yesterday that was stitched in the fall and didn't work out, going to go the power harrow and seed route this time, would I be better to disc first?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭noworries2004

Whats the best Grass seed for grazing at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

td5man wrote: »
    a stoneburier is a rotavator running in the opposite direction
    one here with tractor and driver for hire. :-)

how stoney is too stoney for one of those stone buriers??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

how stoney is too stoney for one of those stone buriers??

You need a bit of soil to cover the stones, it Bury anything bigger than about 3 inches or flat stones.
    A stone rake or a digger with a rake could be a better option if it's very stoney

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

td5man wrote: »
    You need a bit of soil to cover the stones, it Bury anything bigger than about 3 inches or flat stones.
    A stone rake or a digger with a rake could be a better option if it's very stoney

I have an outfarm that is very dry and has been used to outwinter cattle, I got it in my head to make one big silage field out of it of over 30 acres but the land is uneven and stoney from neglect so at the moment I am thinking use a heavy disc then a light mounted disc harrow then I might buy a stone rake and use my digger to gather up the rows of stones

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I have an outfarm that is very dry and has been used to outwinter cattle, I got it in my head to make one big silage field out of it of over 30 acres but the land is uneven and stoney from neglect so at the moment I am thinking use a heavy disc then a light mounted disc harrow then I might buy a stone rake and use my digger to gather up the rows of stones

What kind of stone rake are you talking about? Is it one of the power rakes that basically fires all the stone out to the side in a row or i've also seen yokes just like a big rake on 3 pt linkage? Have cleared some land recently and just can't find the time to get all the stones picked. Trying to find something to hire (or potentially buy) in the Clare area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

New seeds, drilled 15/5.

New seeds, drilled 15/5.

Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

New seeds, drilled 15/5.

What yield do you expect?. Lovely thick looking crop. Direct drilled? What varieties and is it for cutting or grazing? Apologies for all the questions.

What yield do you expect?. Lovely thick looking crop. Direct drilled? What varieties and is it for cutting or grazing? Apologies for all the questions.
    In the door now

About 4 tonne dm per ha or 4 fresh bakes to the acre. Will tedd twice and bake Wed

Drilled into barley stubble, Roundup, 1 pass of power harrow, 3* 10/10/20, 2 tonne lime, sown with one pass, ring rolled, post emerge spray, 60 units Cut Sward

It's mainly for silage but will be grazed also

Castlehill from Sinclair Magill. Wouldn't be my choice but landlord supplies so I won't refuse. We set 60 acres of it when we went there in 2912, grows some crops.

Ps, this field has been in tillage for years so not expecting wonders for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

In the door now

Drilled into barley stubble, Roundup, 1 pass of power harrow, 3* 10/10/20, 2 tonne lime, sown with one pass, ring rolled, post emerge spray, 60 units Cut Sward

Castlehill from Sinclair Magill. Wouldn't be my choice but landlord supplies so I won't refuse. We set 60 acres of it when we went there in 2912, grows some crops.

What would be your choice of seed, used Gold Tooth on reseed last year, worked out well, we were recommended castle hill Sinclair Magill this yr but hear that it doesn't preform in the long term, (one cut of pit silage & grazing for bullocks)

nhg wrote: »
    What would be your choice of seed, used Gold Tooth on reseed last year, worked out well, we were recommended castle hill Sinclair Magill this yr but hear that it doesn't preform in the long term, (one cut of pit silage & grazing for bullocks)

Glanbia Mastercrop extend. It's Tyrella, Abergain and Aberchoice.

You'll need to be on your game to control it ie grazing every 12-15 days in heavy growth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

Glanbia Mastercrop extend. It's Tyrella, Abergain and Aberchoice.

You'll need to be on your game to control it ie grazing every 12-15 days in heavy growth

Did anyone ever use Turbo from Sinclair McGill ?? Supposed to be very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

spread dung on 8acres today- used a maschio stubble incorp to prepare the groumd

run of the land leveller and then seeding

hoing with

3kg tyrella
    5.5kg aston energy
    3kg glenveagh
    1kg crusador clover

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

stanflt wrote: »
    spread dung on 8acres today- used a maschio stubble incorp to prepare the groumd

run of the land leveller and then seeding

hoing with

3kg tyrella
    5.5kg aston energy
    3kg glenveagh
    1kg crusador clover

I set that exact mixture minus the clover 5 weeks ago, grazed some of it this morning, massive leaf in it I'd say it will be the business for grazing ground.

Coonagh wrote: »
    I set that exact mixture minus the clover 5 weeks ago, grazed some of it this morning, massive leaf in it I'd say it will be the business for grazing ground.

Set the same here this april. Grazed it 3 timed in last 6 weeks. Super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

6 kg tyrella
    4 kg abberchoice
    4 kg Aston energy
    No clover
    Been set next Tuesday.gives a really thick sward with good all season growth.set same mix for last 2 years .very impressed.ob the Aston energy can anyone tell me why it ain't on the Irish approved list??.grows very well in greenfield and know 2 other guys that set it as a stand alone mix and massively impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Coonagh

mahoney_j wrote: »
    6 kg tyrella
    4 kg abberchoice
    4 kg Aston energy
    No clover
    Been set next Tuesday.gives a really thick sward with good all season growth.set same mix for last 2 years .very impressed.ob the Aston energy can anyone tell me why it ain't on the Irish approved list??.grows very well in greenfield and know 2 other guys that set it as a stand alone mix and massively impressed

I was only recently talking to a guy with an Aston energy monoculture, savage savage spring growth but dies a death in the mid season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Coonagh wrote: »
    I was only recently talking to a guy with an Aston energy monoculture, savage savage spring growth but dies a death in the mid season

That's the onecreason why I'd never but in a monoculture..with 3 to 4 varietys u give ur self a better balance rather than just obe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

In the door now

About 4 tonne dm per ha or 4 fresh bakes to the acre. Will tedd twice and bake Wed

Ps, this field has been in tillage for years so not expecting wonders for a while!!

we put castlehill in a field here about 17 yrs ago.... that field is still growing some serious grass today.... i would say it easily outperforms all other paddocks/fields we have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

lads whats this weed

• Advertisement

we put castlehill in a field here about 17 yrs ago.... that field is still growing some serious grass today.... i would say it easily outperforms all other paddocks/fields we have

Thanks for that. I never used till 2012 and as I wasn't supplying seed, kept my gob shut. I'm really glad to hear that as I intend milking on this farm in 2-3 yrs time.

Advertisement