Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ready to sow tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Ready to sow tomorrow

was that sprayed off and was it disked or did you use grubber , definitely ready for seed.will do well,anyways when it's up you have readymade bird scarer in background

sandydan wrote: »
    was that sprayed off and was it disked or did you use grubber , definitely ready for seed.will do well,anyways when it's up you have readymade bird scarer in background

Yupp sprayed off after grazing 2 wks ago. Should really have mowed it to get some more grass off it.
    7l/ha disced with ring roller on back

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

Hi folks. We're goin at a second cut of silage this week and are thinking about reseeding the field also. We were thinking of just cutting the silage and discing and stiching in the grass seed straight after. We weren't goin to spray of the field prior to cutting the silage. Has anyone used this method before. What sort of results are to be got or should we just go the route of spraying of prior to cutting.

happylad wrote: »
    Hi folks. We're goin at a second cut of silage this week and are thinking about reseeding the field also. We were thinking of just cutting the silage and discing and stiching in the grass seed straight after. We weren't goin to spray of the field prior to cutting the silage. Has anyone used this method before. What sort of results are to be got or should we just go the route of spraying of prior to cutting.

What sort of grass is in it? Is it old perennial ley or scutch?
    Ye might as well go the rest if the way and spray off.
    And I would stitch in if field is nice and level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

Thanks for the reply. It's a field that there was never anything done to so its very old grass that's in it. The grass that's in tends to not have much leaf but all stem. There are no weeds in it. There is a lot of clover in the field

Thanks for the reply. It's a field that there was never anything done to so its very old grass that's in it. The grass that's in tends to not have much leaf but all stem. There are no weeds in it. There is a lot of clover in the field

Pull up few roots and see if they are white or purple. If its white the grass is not perennial.
    If its level. I'd spray tomorrow cut in 5 days and stitch. That's my opinion now you might have other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

For us lads that can't spray......

Cut silage, liberal dose of well rotted manure and:

5978297b-108a-4079-8834-5389da39fac6_zpsc629a896.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsf5547988.jpg

Now all it needs is a rolling and a light grazing in about three weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭visatorro

Justjens wrote: »

5978297b-108a-4079-8834-5389da39fac6_zpsc629a896.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsf5547988.jpg

Now all it needs is a rolling and a light grazing in about three weeks time.

make sure you stick up a picture of that in that spring! iv never seen that being done before

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Night Nav

Now all it needs is a rolling and a light grazing in about three weeks time.[/QUOTE]

What type of seed do you use in those situations is it your normal mixes or something differrent

• Advertisement

Night Nav wrote: »

What type of seed do you use in those situations is it your normal mixes or something differrent

Currently using an organic rejuvenator mix with some early and middle rye grasses, plus extra clover (can't lay my hand on label at present).

Used the same method a few years ago but paid a contractor with a power harrow, didn't take so well last year as I was a bit late cutting due to lack of rain, although the clover was thick when I cut last week.

Still have 5 acres to do this week once I get the FYM out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Justjens wrote: »
    Currently using an organic rejuvenator mix with some early and middle rye grasses, plus extra clover (can't lay my hand on label at present).

Used the same method a few years ago but paid a contractor with a power harrow, didn't take so well last year as I was a bit late cutting due to lack of rain, although the clover was thick when I cut last week.

Still have 5 acres to do this week once I get the FYM out.

are you organic if not I would spray off old grass as it greens up. Old clover is not as good as modern clovers, a post emergence spray after and you have a clean sward for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Justjens

Is the organic seed mix expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

are you organic if not I would spray off old grass as it greens up. Old clover is not as good as modern clovers, a post emergence spray after and you have a clean sward for years.

can you get red clover seed still its not as persistent as white but imo better ,more palatable

just do it wrote: »
    Justjens

Is the organic seed mix expensive?

Can't find docket but it is more expensive than conventional mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

At 3 week stage ,very happy with progress.

mahoney_j wrote: »

Looking good. What cultivation etc did you do?

Fert now?

Fert now?

Yep,got 3 bags 10 10 20 at sowing and bag and a half of pasture sward this am.spray in 10 days or so and hopefully grazing by late September.

Looking good. What cultivation etc did you do?

2 runs of ripper,14 kg grass per acre with one pass and roll

• Advertisement

Yep,got 3 bags 10 10 20 at sowing and bag and a half of pasture sward this am.spray in 10 days or so and hopefully grazing by late September.

Mines in since tuesday. Might be up next sunday?

Mines in since tuesday. Might be up next sunday?

You could see first shoots of mine up after a week,in current weather I'd say you should def see something within a week

You could see first shoots of mine up after a week,in current weather I'd say you should def see something within a week

Good soil temp at the min and good heavy dew at night

Good soil temp at the min and good heavy dew at night

Perfect conditions.

Benefit for you guys with dry land is you'll get 1-2 grazings in before winter. Parts of my sept reseed last year didn't get grazed for 6-7 months. There is a definite difference in quality in those parts.

Perfect conditions.

Benefit for you guys with dry land is you'll get 1-2 grazings in before winter. Parts of my sept reseed last year didn't get grazed for 6-7 months. There is a definite difference in quality in those parts.

Hope to get at least one grazing off mine with the calves

Hope to get at least one grazing off mine with the calves
    Another advantage as a milker you've over me. Stop, I don't want to hear anymore ;)

Another advantage as a milker you've over me. Stop, I don't want to hear anymore ;)

Aswell as the milk :D ill stop now

Aswell as the milk :D ill stop now

Ahh yes, but milk is only useful to wash the steak down :D

t3bjp2.jpgReseed we did last yr. Best cover its had all yr

• Advertisement

Reseed sowed last Tuesday is up. Any where it got good soil to seed contact is well up

Advertisement