Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

He has been suspended by the FSU baseball team, it's a citation that will carry a small fine and community services hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Probably time to start this as most of the spring games are done now, and the first real big story is breaking regarding the best receiver in the country - Dorial Green-Beckham - being suspended indefinitely by Missouri.

Suspended twice before for drugs, and was caught with marijuana again in January so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this is drug related.

Is the season not starting in August why are all games ending so soon?

Just recently got into NCAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Is the season not starting in August why are all games ending so soon?

Just recently got into NCAA

Spring games are just friendly scrimmages between a team's offence and defence. An opportunity for the fans to come along and see the team in action after a 4/5 month drought. It's not a big deal, but just an opportunity to see how the depth chart is looking. It would be like the Pats offence vs the Pats defence, open to the public and a big day out made of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Spring games are just friendly scrimmages between a team's offence and defence. An opportunity for the fans to come along and see the team in action after a 4/5 month drought. It's not a big deal, but just an opportunity to see how the depth chart is looking. It would be like the Pats offence vs the Pats defence, open to the public and a big day out made of it.

ah okay. So a game to wet the appetite

Peculiar quote from Jameis Winston's dad which, imo, is a cause for concern.
    "We hope so," Antonor Winston said when asked if Winston would learn from the incident. "Not only him. I think it should show the university and us, I think we probably kind of dropped the ball on that a little bit."

"He's supposed to have somebody around him 24/7," Antonor Winston said. "He a Heisman Trophy winner so [he's] definitely not supposed to be by [himself].

To be fair to Florida State , 24/7 surveillance seems a bit extreme for any 20-year-old college student, even one as famous -- and, arguably, trouble-prone -- as Winston. Seminoles athletic director Stan Wilcox did tell USA Today that the school is "committed to doing everything in our power within NCAA rules" to support Winston, and that additional security measures have been taken for Winston's road baseball trips and other athletic activities.

Granted, the situations he's gotten himself into have proven that he is an idiot, but needing 24/7 surveillance? Sorry, but I'm taking Mariota over Winston if that's the case.

Peculiar quote from Jameis Winston's dad which, imo, is a cause for concern.

Granted, the situations he's gotten himself into have proven that he is an idiot, but needing 24/7 surveillance? Sorry, but I'm taking Mariota over Winston if that's the case.

Very Dez Bryant all right and I'll take Brett Hundley over both at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Quick question fellas- does anyone know the background of the Oregon QB Mannion? Is his old man Irish or is it more distant than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Quick question fellas- does anyone know the background of the Oregon QB Mannion? Is his old man Irish or is it more distant than that?

Sean plays for Oregon State. Hard to say if his dad is off the boat Irish or Irish American. He played HS and College football in Cali himself which means he would have grown up in Cali for most of his life. Here is a vid of him talking and it does sound like he has some sort of broken accent but then again it might just be his laid back Cali accent.

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2013/07/2013_high_school_football_prev_5.html

Going to check with a friend I have coaching in Cali to see if he knows him.

• Advertisement

Derrick Henry - Alabama sophomore RB - posing with his new Dodge Charger. One of several Alabama players who now drive Chargers. This instagram photo was deleted very soon after posting.

I'm not suggesting a thing.

RK1c0aJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Derrick Henry - Alabama sophomore RB - posing with his new Dodge Charger. One of several Alabama players who now drive Chargers. This instagram photo was deleted very soon after posting.

I'm not suggesting a thing.

RK1c0aJl.jpg

Reminds me of the Alabama "Training Days" episode back in 2010 when McElroy, Dont'a Hightower, Julio Jones and Mark Barron arrived to training camp in brand new Land Rover's with spinner alloys :pac:

If anyone's looking for their football fix:

Alabama vs Texas A&M, one of the best college football games last season. Plenty of now NFL interest too with Manziel, Evans, Mosley, Clinton-Dix, Matthews, McCarron, Sunseri, Norwood, Stinson, Pagan, Koundajio and more on NFL rosters for the coming season:

Introducing Nick Chubb, high school running back. Yes, high school. Coming to an SEC near you next year.
    Here is a another shot of incoming #UGA RB Nick Chubb. Opposing linebackers be warned….
    http://t.co/tp05lHgIP0
    Radi Nabulsi (@RadiNabulsi) May 13, 2014

I'm not saying that #UGA freshman Nick Chubb is the next Herschel Walker, but something about him looks familiar:
    http://t.co/AGs4zvZbi0

I was asked if #UGA RB Nick Chubb might be a bit stiff. No, he's not. Here he is showing that 40-inch vertical.
    http://t.co/kgnlgbbncd

Following on from what was posted about Derrick Henry above, this article came out last month and I don't think it was posted here. But it's definitely the best article I've read about college football, and is both fascinating and brilliantly written:
    The Bag Man excuses himself to make a call outside, on his "other phone," to arrange delivery of $500 in cash to a visiting recruit. The player is rated No. 1 at his position nationally and on his way into town. We're sitting in a popular restaurant near campus almost a week before National Signing Day, talking about how to arrange cash payments for amateur athletes.

"Nah, there's no way we're landing him, but you still have to do it," he says. "It looks good. It's good for down the road. Same reason my wife reads Yelp. These kids talk to each other. It's a waste of money, but they're doing the same thing to our guys right now in [rival school's town]. Cost of business."

Technically, this conversation never happened, because I won't reveal this man's name or the player's, or even the town I visited. Accordingly, all the other conversations I had with different bag men representing different SEC programs over a two-month span surrounding National Signing Day didn't happen either.

Read the full story here. It's a long read, but so so worth it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Daaaaamn, Pat White!

6RciOxb.png

76tVwoI.gif

This is so college football.
    HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Rice landed a verbal commitment from Kinkaid School quarterback J.T. Granato after mailing a hand-written note to his cat.

According to J.T.'s father John, of Yahoo Sports Radio and 1560AM, the Owls sent a letter to the Granato family addressed to 'Kitty Granato.'

Inside the letter was a note to J.T.'s cat, White Sox, that said "please help us to get J.T. to choose Rice.

"Paw me in case you have any questions."

According J.T.'s dad that note "sealed the deal."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

College football recruiting...where middle aged men have to demean themselves before teenage boys!

Some more cracking games from the season just passed to give you your football fix.

Today marks 100 days until kick off in the 2014/2015 season!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No Prayer at Jordan-Hare, Paully? For Shame.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    No Prayer at Jordan-Hare, Paully? For Shame.

Enjoy mate :)

Nice pump up video for the year ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Nick Saban just signed to stay with Alabama until at least 2022. He'll earn almost $7 million next year. Serious salary for a coach but he's earned it. He is Alabama football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Nick Saban just signed to stay with Alabama until at least 2022. He'll earn almost $7 million next year. Serious salary for a coach but he's earned it. He is Alabama football.

he could potentially outdo bear bryant at this stage and become a joe pattero figure

Only less than Sean Payton ($8m), Bill Belichick and Andy Reid (both $7.5m) in terms of yearly salary. He's in the perfect position really. Massive wage, he runs the show in Alabama and he's in charge of a team who will attract top recruits no matter what. He has also had a shot in the NFL too and obviously has no real desire to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If you had to pick your top 5 players, or teams, in terms of who you are most looking forward to seeing next year, be it for their absolute talent, or the excitement they bring, who would they be?

Looking forward to being over in the States next year and getting much more to grips with college ball. Thinking this might give me an interesting perspective from which to start off on.

Knex. wrote: »
    If you had to pick your top 5 players, or teams, in terms of who you are most looking forward to seeing next year, be it for their absolute talent, or the excitement they bring, who would they be?

Looking forward to being over in the States next year and getting much more to grips with college ball. Thinking this might give me an interesting perspective from which to start off on.

These are well known players so maybe not what you're looking for, but for me:

Players:

Jameis Winston - Looks to have all the tools but also seems to be a massive tool himself. On the field he's a #1 pick type talent, but I'm intrigued to see what happens in terms of his off the field carry on. There's sure to be fireworks at some stage.

Marcus Moriota - Another QB who will be in #1 contention. Plenty of NFL scouts had him above Manziel this year if reports are to be believed. A very good thrower and runner, he's an exciting player to watch running such an up-tempo offense.

Dorial Green-Beckham - You might question this one as strange as it's likely he doesn't play at all this season. However, he has not yet been released and if the Tigers were going to do so, one would have to think they'd have done it by now. He may also transfer and play at FCS level. Either way, he's a superb talent, but like Winston just can't seem to get away from off the field issues. After watching some of his tape I think he's better than Amari Cooper, the consensus #1 WR at the minute. He's one I'm looking forward to tracking for the 2015 draft, but even if he doesn't see the field this year there's likely to be intrigue surrounding him all year.

Denzel Perryman - Coming back for his senior season, Hurricanes coaches are telling him to stop gaining muscle and size! He's gone from about 205 to 240 since he joined Miami and will play ILB in their 4-3 this season. He's a tackling machine, quite decent in pass coverage, and I think he can go up another level. In other news, he wore a camera during a game this year which is a short, but interesting watch. Look for the play around the 2:00 mark.

Cedric Ogbuehi - Ogbuehi is attempting to be the next Texas A&M player after Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews to slide over from RT to LT and dominate. A&M report that he ran a 4.7 in their 40 testing at 6 foot 7, 305 pounds :eek: He's an athletic freak. If he had been in the draft this year I think there's a very good chance he'd have been the third tackle off the board after Robinson and Matthews, he did get a 1st round grade from the draft advisory board. Presuming he keeps progressing, he'll be yet another top 10 draft pick for A&M who seem to be churning them out in recent years.

Ryan Switzer - One of the lesser known guys, but a very exciting player to watch for what he does on special teams. He's targeting the punt return record this year and is very confident he'll do it. I wouldn't back against it either. He went for over 500 punt return yards with 5 TD's last season and only really started to get to grips with everything about halfway through the year.

I'm essentially still a neutral when it comes to college football teams, one hasn't jumped out at me yet over the last couple of seasons, but these are the ones I look forward to watching this coming year:

Teams:

Oregon -Such a nice offense to watch, constantly up tempo. They score about 400 points a game and just when you think they've cracked it, they'll go out the next week and lose unexpectedly to someone they are favourites to beat. Certainly an entertaining side.

Alabama - Alabama are intriguing to me this coming season as they are coming off the back of a crap season by their standards and Saban should have them all guns blazing. Yet, with no security blanket of AJ McCarron at QB, they have to roll with a relative unknown. They'll probably focus on the running game a lot more which is good for me as they have top options in Yeldon, Drake and Henry plus one of the top WR prospects in the country in Cooper.

Florida State - They'll be the best team on paper for the coming season. Winston will be in #1 contention as mentioned above with the potential to throw it all away off the field. They'll have a massive cross on their back as National Champions however, and it will be interesting to see if they can overcome a pretty tough schedule. I always enjoy seeing how a champion does the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully, that's fantastic. Cheers mate.

Players I'm looking forward to seeing would be:

5. Trevor Knight (QB, Oklahoma)
    Was highly touted prior to last year, and had a slightly below average season until he exploded in the Sugar Bowl, destroying Alabama while putting up 350 yards and 4 TDs. Much like Oklahoma the past few seasons, Knight will have a boom-or-bust year. Super nice guy and a locker room leader as well.

4. Nelson Agholor (WR, USC)
    Homer pick, but it's not easy take over from the likes of Robert Woods and Marqise Lee. Agholor did so seemlessly last year. Despite the question marks at QB, he still put up close to 1,000 yards and should easily eclipse that this year with Cody Kessler looking more assured under center. He's still only a junior, but is very likely to leave for the NFL after this year and should be a very high pick. Javorius Allen is another USC guy I can't wait to see next hear - a powerful, bruising running back who can break off long runs. Really shined when Orgeron took over from Kiffin last year.

3. Mike Davis (RB, South Carolina)
    A lot of people have Todd Gurley or TJ Yeldon as the best backs in the SEC, but Mike Davis is my pick. Had a huge year last year, and with Connor Shaw gone to the NFL, he'll be relied upon even more this year. So fun to watch, he's quick and powerful and is good at catching the ball too, so he's a legit three-down back.

2. Myles Jack (LB/RB, UCLA)
    It's great when you have a running back the size of linebacker to carry the ball - it's even better when your running back IS your linebacker. Jack's priority is on defence - he's very much a linebacker first. And he's a great one too, and could take that finalstep to be college football's next elite linebacker this year. He averaged 7 yards a carry last year when he had to step in at RB (his first game being a 6 carries for 120 yards breakout performance against Arizona, in which he also put up 8 tackles). His CV last year is pretty damn good - interceptions, defensive touchdowns, offensive touchdowns, 50+ yard rushes, sacks, passes broken up...and all this as a freshman! He won't see carries in every game next year, but he doesn't have to as he's good enough on the defensive side of the ball to stand out.

1. Duke Johnson (RB, Miami)
    My tip for the nations best RB this year and a Heisman sleeper. Ridiculously athletic, he's a track star with legit football skills as opposed to the likes of Jeff Demps, De'Anthony Thomas etc. who relied mostly on the former. Word is Duke has bulked up this summer, which hopefully answers the one question hanging over him (durability).

Honorable mentions to Bryce Petty (QB, Baylor) and Rakeem Cato (QB, Marshall).

As for teams, there's only one team to watch this year :cool:

276.png

1. Marshall (Conference USA)
    I have a feeling Marshall will assume the role of BCS buster this year and earn a shot at a big bowl game. Having gone from 5-7 to 10-4 last year, they pulled off a stunning come-from-behind win over Maryland in the Military Bowl last year. The star of the show is unquestionably Rakeem Cato who has got better and better each year (39 touchdowns, 9 interceptions last year) and has been quietly the most impressive QB (statistically, at the very least) in CFB over the last 3 years. With him as a senior and a favorable schedule, in addition to an explosive RB pairing in Kevin Grooms and Steward Butler and their leading receiver Tommy Shuler returning, I'm tipping Marshall to grab some headlines by going undefeated this year

As for who'll make the inaugrual CFB Playoff, I'll go for Florida State, Stanford, Alabama and Oklahoma. I expect Oregon to stumble at Stanford again, and I'll give Oklahoma the edge over Baylor as they have home advantage this year. Florida State have no real weakness, and Alabama are Alabama. Don't care about their QB situation, they have enough talent at RB to shoulder the load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Hi,
    Very good predictions for next year.
    I think you have Stanford too high. They lose a lot and their recruiting on D hasn't been great in recent years. Oregon are a trendy pick as they are very good to watch, but I like UCLA out west. They are strong in the lines and have a good coach. SC don't have enough in the trenches and will struggle for depth later in the year when injuries bite.
    Bama will make the playoffs because they just have way too much talent and Saban Won't let them mess up. As long as Saban can oversign and then run off 9 or 10 players a year they will be hard beat. It will be interesting to see how the ex FSU qb gets on for them.
    I think another SEC team will also be in June mix...maybe LSU or Georgia
    Ohio State will still be on the mix. The schedule very lite and there is not much opposition in the big 10., especially with meat chicken well below their normal standards.
    FSU will have a good year, but it will be very hard repeat. Jimbo Strong has done a very good job and they should come through the Acc again.

I will be going to the PSU game this year. The PSU QB looks a talent, and Franklin is a good coach, albeit with plenty of questions following him from previous positions. He is a very good recruiter. Don't know what to expect from USF although OLeary has done very well there.

Advertisement