Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Hi Suain,
    Had you had a scan already? Is this your first baby?
    I'd be terrified about getting a nuchal fold scan as I'd be afraid I was just tempting fate - I like to bury my head in the sand regarding these types of risks!! But it will be very nice to get a negative result and know that all is ok with the little one.
    I'm feeling ok. Tired on and off. But I don't have the same level of symptoms I had for the first pregnancy so am kinda worried. I have a scan on Thursday morning, I'll be 9 weeks then (hopefully) - all I can do is wait and see :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ryanmrs2014

Suain wrote: »
    Hi ladies,
    How are we all going? I'm still suffering NO symptoms ( not tired, sick, no sore boobs etc). Currently 10 weeks gone, have nuchal fold (Down syndrome scan) on June 4th. Planning on telling family and friends then as will be 12 weeks gone. Not at risk for downs, but doc offered so taking it as an opportunity to make sure everything is fine before sharing our news.
    Looking forward to hearing your updates,
    Suain[/

Hi Suain
    I'm 8 weeks 5 days today. I'm having symptoms on and off mostly eg all of last week every morning i vomited from morning sickness rest of the day just feeling nauseous, this week however I haven't gotten sick but feelings of nauseous can be vary could be morning afternoon or evening i feel it. Boobs are sore but not that sore and i do get a little tired. When my symptoms come and then go i start to worry as had m/c in March but they seem to come back. Everyone is different though. A girl i worked with years ago had 4 kids and on every single pregnancy she had no symptoms whatsoever, she's so lucky. I have an early scan which they called a reassurance scan next fri 30th May will be 10 weeks then, it can't come quick enough to make sure everything ok. Also can you ask to get nuchal scan when there do you know

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

Suain wrote: »
    Hi ladies,
    How are we all going? I'm still suffering NO symptoms ( not tired, sick, no sore boobs etc). Currently 10 weeks gone, have nuchal fold (Down syndrome scan) on June 4th. Planning on telling family and friends then as will be 12 weeks gone. Not at risk for downs, but doc offered so taking it as an opportunity to make sure everything is fine before sharing our news.
    Looking forward to hearing your updates,
    Suain

I'm 8 weeks and no symptoms, well i am really tired in the first half of the day, other than that feeling great. It must be so hard suffering with morning sickness.

I'm going to go for an early (assurance scan) in a private clinic, but i think i might wait another couple of weeks when there will be more to see. NMH were very slow with my last pregnancy to do a scan.

I've told some close friends and family. The people that i would talk to if anything went wrong, but in no hurry to spread the word in work. I got to 20 weeks on the last two without having to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Suain

Hey ladies,
    I've had 2 scans already (last pregnancy was a miscarriage).so this is my second pregnancy so far you could say. Also must point out I'm irish but living in Australia, so the health system is different. Nuchal fold scan was up to me really, just using it as an opportunity to see baby again and ensure everything is perfect. The lack of symptoms is driving me slightly crazy. So definitely want to check baby is ok before telling family and friends. I know I'll be glad of no symptoms in time to come but at the moment feel totally normal, except for missing out on the sav blanc.
    Suain.
    Mrs Ryan, nuchal fold has to be done between 11-13 weeks I think. Doc just booked me in for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dizzymisslizzy

9 weeks here. Symptoms knocking me for six. Sickness, exhausted, sore boobs... I'm crying at the drop of a hat.

Really struggling and stress isn't helping. The father is being a prize idiot, we're not together, and my family aren't being very supportive.

Have my second scan this morning so fingers crossed all is ok. Sorry for the moan.

• Advertisement

That's very hard Dizzymisslizzy :( Hopefully you should feel a reduction in symptoms as you approach weeks 11 and 12 - fingers crossed things look up for you a little.

Suain, sorry to hear about your loss. I can understand why you are so worried. Hopefully your next scan will be perfect too xx

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Hi Everyone!! I'm nauseous most of the time :-( Particularly in the evenings right at dinner time.... Thought DS's nappy was going to push me over the edge yesterday but escaped.
    Suain, I am sure you are very anxious you poor thing.... Not long now though and you will be further out of the woods.... No doubt though- like us all- you'll find something else to worry about! Just the nature of the beast I fear!
    My DH is Aussie and I envy you their system! Everything is so much more child centred, mother centred and family friendly in my experience over there.
    I've a second scan on tuesday to confirm dates as it looks like I'm not as far as I thought. I am definitely having the nuchal fold scan. I had it last time and obviously I am older again than last time and the odds have gone up remarkably so didn't have to think about it too much. Yes it's expensive but I'd rather be prepared should there be an issue. I also think if the odds didn't come back good that I would do the blood tests (new I think) for further confirmation/reassurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Approaching 11 weeks and the nausea seems to be easing off, finally! Still have back pain and have a very busy few days ahead which isn't helping. I'll be putting my feet up come the weekend!

Just had my 9 week scan this morning, everything doing what it should, where it should :) Am delighted and relieved. I know i'm not out of the woods yet, but it's very reassuring!!

P.S Also delighted to see there was only one!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

I'm 11 weeks today and, so far, everything is going fine! My white cell blood count is high and being monitored, Im being sent for an ultrasound on my gallbladder and liver - we did IVF and apparently all the hormones can cause your system to slow down considerably so hopefully its only a temp thing and will improve.

Have to say I feel fine - careful to eat every 2/3 hours or else I get a little quesey but other than that all good. The complete black tiredness of the first few weeks has gone and Im starting to feel more 'normal' again.

Had a person contact my place of work today who wanted to bring in their 8 year old who has chickenpox..... Politely said it wasn't an option until he was fully cleared . Yikes! :)

Dating scan next Wed in CUMH - even though we know its 11th Dec !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Start of week 9 today for my girlfriend, it's all fine except the tiredness, which usually means she's in bed at 2130 and she hates that. No morning sickness or any other problems, I'm relieved to say. Unfortunately all i can do is help as much as possible and reassure her that it'll be fine. The only thing that irritates her is not being able to drink in the first trimester. Once that passes she'll have a few glasses of wine every week and she'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Start of week 9 today for my girlfriend, it's all fine except the tiredness, which usually means she's in bed at 2130 and she hates that. No morning sickness or any other problems, I'm relieved to say. Unfortunately all i can do is help as much as possible and reassure her that it'll be fine. The only thing that irritates her is not being able to drink in the first trimester. Once that passes she'll have a few glasses of wine every week and she'll be fine.

Has she done her research there?

I wasn't one of those militant anti-drink mothers, but even I'd draw the line well before a few glasses a week! The odd drink every now and then isn't going to do any harm, but a few glasses of wine a week sounds a bit much to me personally. Even past the first trimester.

The odd drink every now and then isn't going to do any harm, but a few glasses of wine a week sounds a bit much to me personally. Even past the first trimester.

I agree. I had a few glasses of wine over my last pregnancy, and will do again this time, but that would come under 'an occasional glass' rather than a few glasses a week. I don't think any research condones that.

I'd be concerned about the quality of the research referred to as well. I work in the area of children and all the actual research is getting more and more cautious about any alcohol intake in pregnancy. Some of it talks even about alcohol prior to conception. (not that I followed that one myself or anything) but all the same- important to consider. Only get one chance to grow that baby.

I don't think I'd bother with any to be honest - and even though its my first time having a baby, even I would think that a few glasses of wine a week wouldn't be a good idea

I haven't had a drop since Christmas and wont be having any until Christmas again. There's been big events, weddings and even buying and moving into our first home and I haven't been tempted. Maybe its the IVF thing - takes so much effort you don't want to do a single thing that might affect the outcome and baby? And I was a very VERY sociable drinker - (nothing beats an ice cold beer, or a fresh cold glass of white wine mmmmm.....) would often pop to pub after work for one or 2, Friday nights in were dvd & btl(s) wine, our house is usually the first to have the party and the bbq. Sober summer ahead!!

See Plek Trum I think you are on to something there. I am aware of quite a few people involved in fertility treatment, and whilst there's the obvious stress attached to it, I have found conversations to be really humbling and to have really served as an important reminder to me of how fortunate I am to be pregnant and have one already. 10 months is such a short amount of time out of our whole lives.

We didn't do IVF, in fact it was an unplanned pregnancy for us, and even in that situation, I wasn't really tempted by alcohol. I had one West Coast Cooler when I was about seven months pregnant, and that was it.

You just have that one opportunity to do things right, you know? You have a small little person growing inside of you.

Why would you risk screwing it all up?

Totally - I quit it early before we started the IVF, (along with my cappachino's ) as we knew the best shape for me to be in when we started was the 'cleanest' and healthiest system wise. I haven't missed it to be honest, the odd time alright I could murder a cold beer but that's probably more to do with thirst than any real longing. I think I'll even be a little nervous of it come Christmas - I haven't had a complete sober year since I was about 17 haha! I imagine it wont take me much at all to get tiddly :)

Definite bonus is putting the extra euro's I would have spent on alcohol into a little savings box - hoping when we take a can opener to it that a lot of the new shopping for baby will be covered. Fingers crossed anyway...

I have no problem being around it though. Had people around for house warming and the drink flew all night. Have a few trips to Dublin soonto catch up with friends, nights out etc and it wont bother me. My big challenge will be Kodaline / Kings of Leon in Marlay Park in July. 2 great bands, outdoor vibe, wellies ... and a water (!) Ah sure, all worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I think the NHS guidelines say don't have any more than 2-3 units a week. Personally I wouldn't be risking it either. There is so much that can go wrong without adding to potential issues.

I'd be the same as you Plektrum, I really enjoy drinking I did drink leading up to the Egg transfer, but it was really only 1 or 2 small glasses of wine a week. I am already missing having a nice cold beer when the sun is shining. I am drinking Cobra N/A and I find it quite nice, although my boyfriend thinks it tastes awful. I haven't bothered with the N/A wine as I tried them before and they tasted horrible, but that was when I could swap it for some yummy alcoholic wine. I wonder will my tastes of changed:p

Completely agree with the sentiment above. On that note, I'm really dreading the conversations around having a baby due on Christmas day! If that is the worst *affliction* my gorgeous baby has, then we are so so incredibly lucky!!!!!

I am not a big 'going out drinker' anyway never missed the social side of drinking really, but I really *really* missed the Friday night pizza and wine after a long week at work!! The very occasional weekend, I'd have half a glass of red wine towards the end of my last pregnancy, but I'd leave it at that, and savour every mouthful :)

What I do appreciate though (and really loved last time too) is the complete lack of Saturday morning hangovers!

I'm a big coffee drinker though, but now I'll only have one small cup in the morning (half caffeinated, half decaf) - the recommendation is less than 200mg of caffeine a day, so one espresso is well under that (64mg). I then only make sure to drink decaf tea for the rest of the day. Works well for us - that one shot is a sanity-saver with my 20 month old toddler :)

• Advertisement

We've read the research and a Cochrane meta review of the studies show that the risk is minimal after trimester 1. There's far more risk of miscarriage from chromosomal aberrations then there is from drinking 2 glasses of wine per week.

The hysteria around avoiding alcohol during trimester 2 &3 is bizarre. There's far more chance of coming into contact with rat droppings thus forcing a mutation. According to the stats, to have a 30% chance of a child being born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome the mother would need to drink just over half a bottle of 40% spirits per night.

I know pregnant women love to go on about the horrors of alcohol during pregnancy, but frankly I've never seen or read of a case where a few glasses of wine a week caused any problems. So it's up to the individual and I'll defend my girlfriend's right to drink if she wants.

You're right that there is some hysteria surrounding the issue.

In my own opinion, after a lot of research, I'd agree with you that a couple of drinks a week seems OK, in the later months. I wouldn't do it myself, but if it's a decision you're comfortable with as a couple, fair enough.

To me, a few glasses of wine a week (as you said originally) seems like an awful lot for any pregnant lady to drink.

I guess it comes down perhaps to personal preference at the end of the day. For me, I'd rather stick to my instinct and keep myself in best shape possible and my system as 'clean' as I can for baby. If I was in training for a marathon or on a healthy living buzz I would drop the alcohol. Seems common sense to leave it behind while pregnant too?

BTW The One Doctor - I haven't ever met a single pregnant woman who loves "to go on about the horrors of alcohol during pregnancy". Don't know who you've been hanging out with but that certainly seems like a grossly over sweeping statement (!)

Look if any drug is that important to a pregnant woman then giving it up may be more harmful that persisting.

I know pregnant women love to go on about the horrors of alcohol during pregnancy, but frankly I've never seen or read of a case where a few glasses of wine a week caused any problems.

That's a horrible thing to say tbh. All any pregnant woman here is trying to do is protect their baby, and provide the safest environment for him or her to develop in.

I think what it comes down to for me is 'why risk it'? BTW, not drinking comes at the very bottom of a long long list of sacrifices you and your wife will be making for your child from here on in!

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    That's a horrible thing to say tbh. All any pregnant woman here is trying to do is protect their baby, and provide the safest environment for him or her to develop in.

I think what it comes down to for me is 'why risk it'? BTW, not drinking comes at the very bottom of a long long list of sacrifices you and your wife will be making for your child from here on in!

I do actually know quite a a lot of pregnant women who go on about it without having done the slightest amount of research about drinking during pregnancy. It's these women whom I'm referring to, not anyone on this thread. Apologies for any offence taken.

From my reading(s), the research actually says that it is 'unknown' what amount of alcohol is safe for a pregnant woman to drink.

A lot of it comes down to the woman's ability to process the alcohol and is dependent on individual enzymes.

Interpret as you will. For me personally, I feel its my responsibility to err on the side of caution. Each to their own I guess!

Plek Trum wrote: »
    From my reading(s), the research actually says that it is 'unknown' what amount of alcohol is safe for a pregnant woman to drink.

A lot of it comes down to the woman's ability to process the alcohol and is dependent on individual enzymes.

Interpret as you will. For me personally, I feel its my responsibility to err on the side of caution. Each to their own I guess!

And he more current the research the more cautious it is. Especially as you move beyond Wikipedia to academic discussion. As I say though- if a drug is that important the stress of having to abstain may be more risky.

Plek Trum wrote: »

Indeed, each to their own, and debate on the matter is healthy.

• Advertisement

Debates are indeed healthy and very much welcomed. I would keep in mind though that a few evenings / days / weeks of reading research, whether in books or on-line, while being informative, doesn't really qualify one to over rule the general advice of professional bodies.. globally... that it is best to just avoid alcohol altogether while pregnant. Just a small point.

We shouldn't let this thread turn into a debate on alcohol use while pregnant as it may get a little heated. Everyone has the absolute right to make their own decisions regarding their pregnancy and how they wish to proceed during it. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend The One Doctor, exciting times for everyone in here !

Advertisement