Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jaysus poor auld Bundee could have done with a rest I thought
    Still it's nice to see the Henshaw - Aki partnership reunited
    Delighted for Poolman and Marshall to be back
    Looking forward to this game now

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How has Fox-Matamua done since signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Very well my opinion. Different type of 7 to Heenan in terms of what they do around a ruck. Heenan is a turnover monster in defence and often used as a ball carrier in attac. Fox tends to be stay up for the tackles or assist in disrupting rather than go for the hero turnovers like Masterson or Buckley (although he has chipped in with a few) and is usually one of the first to the rucks as a supporting playing, monster in terms of clear outs. Handy ball carrier and is very good on the back of maul in terms of keeping the ball safe and being patient going towards the line which is underrated skill in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Excellent one of our top players, was voted player of the month, (October) just this week. Has got a few tries off the back of mauls and is a nuisance at the breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Excellent, a true 7 in every sense, has been player of the month twice already, great signing so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I see Buckley is unavailable. Is it an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I see Buckley is unavailable. Is it an injury?

I don't think so, Henshaw was listed as unavailable last week and he was just being rested.

Anyone see Hook's article in the indo today?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/george-hook-why-would-robbie-henshaw-leave-connacht-for-leinster-34218111.html

I remember at some point last year when he was saying Connacht were less than useless and should be disbanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bazzo wrote: »
    I don't think so, Henshaw was listed as unavailable last week and he was just being rested.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/george-hook-why-would-robbie-henshaw-leave-connacht-for-leinster-34218111.html

I remember at some point last year when he was saying Connacht were less than useless and should be disbanded.

Read that over breakfast. Wouldn't normally open an indo but someone had left one in the canteen. Closest thing he's been to right in a long time.

Read that over breakfast. Wouldn't normally open an indo but someone had left one in the canteen. Closest thing he's been to right in a long time.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

While Rory started on the wing last week I'm really looking forward to see how he does in this team. Defensively he is strong and he has great hands. Will he turn out to be a challenger for Danie and Matt's position?

• Advertisement

Connacht Eagles team to face Doncaster Knights

15 Ciarán Gaffney
    14 Adam Leavy
    13 Cormac Brennan
    12 Dave McSharry
    11 Ed O’Keeffe
    10 Conor McKeon
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Jacob Walshe
    2 Pat O’Toole
    3 Saba Meunargia
    4 Peter Claffey
    5 Cillian Gallagher
    6 James Connolly
    7 Rory Moloney
    8 Sean O’Brien (captain)

REPLACEMENTS

16 John Healy
    17 Matthew Burke
    18 Cian Romaine
    19 Marc Kelly
    20 Stephen Kerins
    21 Aidan Moynihan
    22 Stephen McVeigh

wouldn't give much notice to what George says tbh
    Whole thing seemed more a swipe at Leinster than praise for Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm 100% sure it was a swipe at Leinster, he never writes/says anything where he isn't having a go at somebody(or at the very least trying to wind people up). The only reason I posted it was because I thought it was hilarious that he went from saying, and I quote, that it was "time to pull the plug" on Connacht a year ago to saying that they're playing the best rugby in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The article you are talking about.

Im actually annoyed at how he can write todays column after this 18 months ago, nonchalant as you like.

The article you are talking about.

Im actually annoyed at how he can write todays column after this 18 months ago, nonchalant as you like.

"even more average squad"
    that doesn't even make sense:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

With a debt of almost a million euro, an average coach and an even more average squad, the future is bleak. Economic reality may bite and as was always the sensible option, Ireland should have just three professional teams.
    It is ridiculous to suggest that Ireland cannot sustain four competitive professional rugby teams. Connacht have made huge gains in both performance and personnel over the last few years and they have as much right to maintain their competitiveness as Leinster, Munster and Ulster.

Hard to believe it's the same writer. But then you realise who is writing the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Nominated for player of the month in September, won player of the month for October and is our top try scorer....considering he's probably on small money he's been a terrific signing.

Poor Niyi is frozen at half time

Makes Niyi's try all the more impressive

Just sitting to watch the ulster sarries game. Will be a huge indicator as to where ulster are at. The George hook piece was a laugh. Picked henshaw as the column title to grab attention and then goes on to crucify Leinster rugby. Then he rolls out his list of up and coming Connacht players which is to say the least dated. I wonder if he has ever even watched a Connacht game (other than when he gets paid to travel west to commentate)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Aki played every games, went to Siberia with -20°, 3 days in airports, and now Brive, FFS Brive at home.... Just before Munster.
    Except to test the pairing with Henshaw, that's just insane...

• Advertisement

If I were to express an opinion :-) I would say its a very strong team where the French mentality is get me out of here. So I don't understand aki involved.

Warning: another flouncer opinion. Think toh is simply playing out of his skin these days and is the best full back (Conway really impressive) in the country at the moment. Parata at wing I can't wait to see. Folks talk about ringrose at Leinster. I think Rory has fallen under the radar and am delighted to see him on the wing (yes he played there in Russia but its not the same conditions or the same team). Then we have aki and henshaw at centre. I ask you how does it get better. We have marmion with his sniping runs. And then I'm going to shock everybody and say jack with his improved interplay. Then we have a 6 to 8 combination that has been totally changed. And yet (my opinion) it is the strongest back row we have.

There are so many positive things in Connacht rugby these days it beggars belief. I was hugely critical of pat lam in the past but I have no doubts he deserves the biggest plaudits. On top of that I so enjoyed all the coverage of the Russia trip. It proves we are not only a team but a bunch that really work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

flouncer wrote: »
    Warning: another flouncer opinion. Think toh is simply playing out of his skin these days and is the best full back (Conway really impressive) in the country at the moment. Parata at wing I can't wait to see. Folks talk about ringrose at Leinster. I think Rory has fallen under the radar and am delighted to see him on the wing (yes he played there in Russia but its not the same conditions or the same team. Then we have aki and henshaw at centre. I ask you how does it get better. We have marmion with his sniping runs. And then I'm going to shock everybody and say jack with his improved interplay. Then we have a 6 to 8 combination that has been totally changed. And yet (my opinion) it is the strongest back row we have.

There are so many positive things in Connacht rugby these days it beggars belief. I was hugely critical of pat lam in the past but I have no doubts he deserves the biggest plaudits.on top of that I so enjoyed all the coverage of the Russia trip. It proves we are not only a team but a bunch that really work well together.

Wow nice stance
    Though I still think this very attractive team hasn't to be played against Brive, when we have 3 interpros + Cardiff and Newcastle away to deal with just next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

anyone got a link to brive team selected to play tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

typhoony wrote: »
    anyone got a link to brive team selected to play tomorrow

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/31533.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

thanks, one thing i noticed comparing the team facing us tomorrow and the games they've played so far in the TOP14 is that they have a huge squad, don't recognise any players that would have played at the RWC. All i can say is that the team for tomorrow is vastly different to the team that play regularily in TOP14 which I assume is good news, we may have chosen a team stronger than we needed to. Aki should definitely have been rested

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's hard to know until you see them play. Some of the guys that aren't in the first squad in some of the French teams are handy enough but whether they're that interested tomorrow is a different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Yeah, personnel is not nearly as relevant as their attitude. I doubt they'll care too much about the Challenge TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I agree that aki, on the face of things, could use a rest but that's a coaches call. Some players are more capable of being played week I week out than others and some indeed play better that way. (Buckley last year) Lam I'm guessing is judging bundee to be such a player. Hopefully this plays out

Also how long do we wait before we subtly start irishing up bundee. (From nz -> lives in Galway. Bundee ->bunty)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

One thing I do know from playing with a lot of Samoans and Tongans back home is they don't like to not be playing. And when they were given a week off they tend to be slow starters.
    Bundee appears to be one of those whom the coach needs to keep focused and the best way to do that is let him play.
    One thing about Pat is he would understand this and remember the boys are told early on in the week if they will be playing and I think this keeps Bundees head down as I know he likes to party a wee bit when there is time off.

Advertisement