Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Top of the pro12. Top of our challenge cup pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

flouncer wrote: »
    Top of the pro12. Top of our challenge cup pool.

And stuck in Krasnoyarsk for the night (plane has gone tech).

What a pain. I'd say the team would be very happy to be on their way home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

vienne86 wrote: »
    I thought their skill levels were way below Connacht's.

Yep, but their scrum and maul were pretty good, forwards were well drilled but the overall skill level was definitely lower. No surprise given the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

And stuck in Krasnoyarsk for the night (plane has gone tech).

Thats not going to go down well with the powers that be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

vienne86 wrote: »
    I thought their skill levels were way below Connacht's.

Infairness it was their first game in like 2 months - were bound to be rusty
    They showed glimpses of good play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Would connacht have received any additional payments associated with playing that far away... the cost associated with playing there would be substantial compared to playing in France,uk or Italy... curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Would connacht have received any additional payments associated with playing that far away... the cost associated with playing there would be substantial compared to playing in France,uk or Italy... curious...

Challenge cup paid for the flight and I believe a local business man out there as well. Apparently it was just visas that connacht were stung with I read in this thread earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

freyners wrote: »
    Challenge cup paid for the flight and I believe a local business man out there as well. Apparently it was just visas that connacht were stung with I read in this thread earlier

Those working visas could be costly, esp dealing with players from multiple countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

i.e Russian mobster :D

• Advertisement

Epcrugby.com blog saying that Connacht face AT LEAST another night in Siberia. Won't be anybody bitching about galway weather by the time they get home :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

S12b wrote: »
    i.e Russian mobster :D

Looks like flouncer has been outed.

Shelflife will love me for this (and I appreciate the line judges were frozen) but jeepers, even me with my limited knowledge of rugby could clearly see the infringement for niyi's try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Those working visas could be costly, esp dealing with players from multiple countries...

Would it be a working visa that's needed? Genuinely curious

Watching the scarlets Northampton game tonight. So scarlets are ordinary on a pro12 level. Yet they at least equal Northampton. Says where English premiership rugby is and also says where Connacht rugby is. We are a damm decent team. All those comments about pat lam I now rescind. Now its a matter of holding on to him. What an amazing job he has done.

Would it be a working visa that's needed? Genuinely curious

I never required a working visa travelling to competitions, but then despite grants, sponsorship etc I probably was still amateur as I didn't have a paid employer. I can see why it could apply to sports people but surely there should be some exemption given the nature of sport...?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Watching the scarlets Northampton game tonight. So scarlets are ordinary on a pro12 level. Yet they at least equal Northampton. Says where English premiership rugby is and also says where Connacht rugby is. We are a damm decent team. All those comments about pat lam I now rescind. Now its a matter of holding on to him. What an amazing job he has done.

Scarlets were top of the Pro 12 before Leinster beat their 2nd XV last weekend.

They were ordinary in the past but ever since Stephen Jones has taken over their backs they've looked a real force and they're getting better all the time imo (the return of Davies will only add to their improving backs).

Connacht don't play them until January but if they beat them it'll be a great achievement.

I think Scarlets could make the play offs this year. Look like a serious team, maybe not littered with talent but a bunch of guys putting their hands up for sure.

Now I know ye all love my opinion. So here's another opinion :-). So proud what the lads did in Russia. Well worth the 8am alarm clock call. Now folks will pick on me but I thought McGinty did really well in adverse conditions. I'd figure it was like kicking a concrete block when kicking penalties. And I know I give jack a hard time but all that aside there were so many fantastic performances. I will not pick out one player over another, they all made me proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

They(Scarlets) should have beaten them. They had enough opportunities. If they had a better kicker they would have won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Diamond Sea

They(Scarlets) should have beaten them. They had enough opportunities. If they had a better kicker they would have won.

yep uber thick to go for kick with 5 mins to go , they could have won it no problem Shingler had a mare though.

How did the b&I go today and who impressed. Lots of new names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

The team not expected to depart until Monday afternoon......not ideal at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Doogle1234

How did the b&I go today and who impressed. Lots of new names.

Dragons pack were physical and dominated ! O'Keefe was stand out at 12 , put in some huge hits ! Dineen was a good impact off the bench but dreadful conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Very awkward now with a chunk of the squad stuck in Krasnoyarsk and others in Galway. At least it's not a league game next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

S12b wrote: »
    The team not expected to depart until Monday afternoon......not ideal at all!!

From what I hear it's gonna be closer to Wednesday before they get out of there...

Edit: Nevermind, flight is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I can't imagine this will be good for the Brive game. It'll be Tuesday before the squad is back together...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Bazzo wrote: »
    I can't imagine this will be good for the Brive game. It'll be Tuesday before the squad is back together...

I doubt if too many of the lads who played yesterday will be starting on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I doubt if too many of the lads who played yesterday will be starting on Saturday.

That was the original plan but our three registered out halfs and three fit registered hookers are stuck in Siberia so that's a major problem for Saturday.. Plus would assume Aki will be rested and Henshaw will be at 13/12 so means one of Robb, Parata or Ronaldson (guessing McSharry is still out) gonna have to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

wp_rathead wrote: »
    That was the original plan but our three registered out halfs and three fit registered hookers are stuck in Siberia so that's a major problem for Saturday.. Plus would assume Aki will be rested and Henshaw will be at 13/12 so means one of Robb, Parata or Ronaldson (guessing McSharry is still out) gonna have to play.

That's right.

But FFS rest Aki and Buckley

I can see

1) Loughney
    2) JHW
    3) AhYou/White (depending who's back)
    4) Qualter
    5) Marshall
    6) SOB 2.0
    7) Nepia (can be played as Heenan is close to full-return)
    8) McKeon
    9) Blade
    10) Carty
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Henshaw
    11) Healy
    14) Poolman/Carr (one of them should get fit, it's been a while we're waiting now)
    15) TOH

16) Heff
    17) O'Donnell
    18) Bealham
    19) Browne
    20) Naoupu
    21) Marmion
    22) McShazz/Robb/Niyi

Advertisement