Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    That's right.

But FFS rest Aki and Buckley

I can see

1) Loughney
    2) JHW
    3) AhYou/White (depending who's back)
    4) Qualter Browne
    5) Marshall
    6) SOB 2.0 Masterson
    7) Nepia (can be played as Heenan is close to full-return)
    8) McKeon
    9) Blade Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Henshaw
    11) Healy
    14) Poolman/Carr (one of them should get fit, it's been a while we're waiting now)
    15) TOH

My changes to your suggestion Connachta. was thinking Parata at 13 and Henshaw at 12 as Ronaldson probably actually could do with a rest (especially with his injury record), but I really wanna see Henshaw back at 13. Maybe Robb and Henshaw in the centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Won't be ideal preparation for next Saturday but we should be ok. Longer term in such a crowded calendar, this unscheduled couple of days in Siberia isn't what we want.

I don't expect Brive to be hugely committed to this. Still though I'd go with a strong team, I'd be looking to rest some of the lads who started in Russia such as Buckley or Muldoon and we have the option to rest Bundee but apart from that keep the momentum going and put ourselves in a strong position heading into the double header with Newcastle in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

wp_rathead wrote: »
    My changes to your suggestion Connachta. was thinking Parata at 13 and Henshaw at 12 as Ronaldson probably actually could do with a rest (especially with his injury record), but I really wanna see Henshaw back at 13. Maybe Robb and Henshaw in the centre?

Robb and Parata played the whole 80 in Russia, i've priviledged player who where on the bench/in Galway.
    Except Marmion and Masterson, both protected as they're vital for us..

"Connacht Rugby finally heading home in five hours by scheduled airlines- three different parties through Moscow, then either Amsterdam, London or Paris."

bq5xPV.gif
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"Connacht Rugby finally heading home in five hours by scheduled airlines- three different parties through Moscow, then either Amsterdam, London or Paris."

Coming through Paris is going to be awkward if there's still bumped up security. Adds more time to the trip. I'm sure they'll just be glad to be home however long it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Seems very unfair for Connacht to have to put up with these travel arrangements and be ready for Brive next weekend. Very unfortunate delay.

12 Peter Robb - meters run 55 carries 7 defenders beaten 6 clean breaks 1 passes 1 kicks 0
    tackles 8 missed nil

This guy doesn't know how to pass or kick, but he's a beast, in attack and defence!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Apart from the result a bit of a nightmare journey all round.

Apart from the result a bit of a nightmare journey all round.

No, up until the plane breaking down it was a huge success by all accounts.
    The players loved it, they knew they were never going to experience anything like it again and really embraced the whole trip...

..but yes, these flights are a disaster for our game on Saturday as we are going to have (at a minimum) a hooker, a loosehead, an outhalf and a centre all starting with propable jetlag

• Advertisement

I don't know that jet lag will be an issue. They've got them living on Irish time since yesterday to try to minimise that issue. They should hopefully get home some time Monday. A light session on Tuesday and back proper on Wednesday. That's assuming they get out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I don't know that jet lag will be an issue. They've got them living on Irish time since yesterday to try to minimise that issue. They should hopefully get home some time Monday. A light session on Tuesday and back proper on Wednesday. That's assuming they get out tomorrow.

It's an issue because it has completley disrupted preparations for the game on Saturday. Half the squad is in Russia, the other half in Ireland.

its_phil wrote: »
    It's an issue because it has completley disrupted preparations for the game on Saturday. Half the squad is in Russia, the other half in Ireland.

I said jet lag won't be an issue.

They are going to be travelling on something like 3 flights back to Ireland and waiting around airports; their body clock is undoubtedly going to be affected - add in the sleep they will be getting is goin to be on buses and planes and it's far from ideal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A group of them are now stuck in Moscow, and are sounding seriously pissed off at this stage on twitter. Others are travelling out of Krasnoyarsk on the same flight as Enesei today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

A group of them are now stuck in Moscow, and are sounding seriously pissed off at this stage on twitter. Others are travelling out of Krasnoyarsk on the same flight as Enesei today.

Ah this is awful for Connacht, and for the players in particular. It will surely have EPCR thinking about allowing this venue to be used in European competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It's a joke to be perfectly honest. Travelling home in 3 different groups then one delayed. It's proven that Siberia is a logistical nightmare.

It looks like the team will play Brive "cold" for want of a better word. The prep has been destroyed, hopefully Brive are typically French and don't want to play away from home in the challenge cup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Brive play away to 13th placed Oyannax the week after Connacht game so I wouldn't be expecting too much of a challenge from them.

EPRC should allow Connacht additional players in the european squad for this game, due to exceptional circumstances..
    That would be fair, I doubt they are

• Advertisement

Don't you understand Pro12 tricked the draw to organize the disappearence of half of the Connacht team?:D:D

I posted that on November the 7th, you can check on page 636! I can see the future:p

EPRC should allow Connacht additional players in the european squad for this game, due to exceptional circumstances..
    That would be fair, I doubt they are

To be clear Menuargia, O'Keefe, C.McKeon, Moloney, Dineen could do the job if the European institution give the permission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Given the farce that has been the trip back the team should be something like this at the weekend. My thinking is where possible keep the players on the trip limited to the bench or rested if at all possible

Loughney
    JHW
    White
    Marshall
    Browne
    McKeon
    Fox-Matamua
    Masterson
    Marmion
    Carty
    Healy (fit??)
    Ronaldson
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    TOH

Heffernan
    Buckley (no other real choices here)
    Bealham (give Rodney another week off)
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Cooney (if fit Porter otherwise)
    Carr
    Leader

Who is to blame for this disaster though? Enesei are getting out to travel to their game on schedule so is it Connacht's own fault for badly organising the trip, or is it the higher ups at the Challenge Cup?

If Enesei manage to qualify again I can't see any team being willing to make that trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Who is to blame for this disaster though? Enesei are getting out to travel to their game on schedule so is it Connacht's own fault for badly organising the trip, or is it the higher ups at the Challenge Cup?

If Enesei manage to qualify again I can't see any team being willing to make that trip.

Its down to a technical fault with the charter plane that was originally due to bring them back on Saturday. Think it was going to be today before a replacement part was flown in.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Its down to a technical fault with the charter plane that was originally due to bring them back on Saturday. Think it was going to be today before a replacement part was flown in.

So it was just a completely random and unfortunate series of events. If things had gone as planned they'd have been home on Sunday morning.

It's a shame for the Russian side if it means they don't get to play any more home games. I would have liked to see how big a crowd would have turned out in better weather. Unfortunately this is probably the best the weather will be out there in terms of pool stage games.

19C in Sochi next weekend.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They were due to fly back on an charter flight on Sat . Got to the airport to be told that there was a mechanical fault. Plane unable to fly until Wed. went back to city hotel for the night.

sorted out commercial flights with group splitting into 3 once they got to Moscow.

Upon arrival at Moscow they found that their visas had expired and that is why they are stuck there atm. grounded until visas sorted.

According to Muldoon they hope to be back in Galway tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »

They'd better to get the transiberian train!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

b.gud wrote: »
    Given the farce that has been the trip back the team should be something like this at the weekend. My thinking is where possible keep the players on the trip limited to the bench or rested if at all possible

Loughney
    JHW
    White
    Marshall
    Browne
    McKeon
    Fox-Matamua
    Masterson
    Marmion
    Carty
    Healy (fit??)
    Ronaldson
    Henshaw
    Poolman
    TOH

Heffernan
    Buckley (no other real choices here)
    Bealham (give Rodney another week off)
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Cooney (if fit Porter otherwise)
    Carr
    Leader
    Not bad at all. I'd maybe put in Dillane on the bench as he's a bit fresher than Muldowney at the moment.

I'd say Rodney can be counted out for a couple of weeks, understandably.

Advertisement