Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

flouncer wrote: »
    So my team for the weekend is

Toh, niyi Poolman, henshaw, parata McSharry, leader Carr (if available), carty Ronaldson (at least once as outhalf), marmion Blade (Marms will have an awful run of games to play)
    Loughney, delahunt JHW, o'donnell, dillane Marshall for sure, Browne, Masterson, nepia, McKeon

Bench would be Buckley, heff, bealham, sob, porter, Robb Niyi, McGinty
    :o

All the players I picked desperatly need gametime to be sharp, in case they're called soon or late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

After spending the time and effort working out the team for Saturday I resent the obvious attempt to undermine my opinion :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

So my team for the weekend is

Toh, niyi, henshaw, parata, leader, carty, marmion
    Loughney, delahunt, o'donnell, dillane, Browne, Masterson, nepia, McKeon

Bench would be Buckley, heff, bealham, sob, porter, Robb, McGinty

Logic as follows. Healy and poolman need another couple of weeks to recover. Jack needs the game more than anything after the disappointment of being left on the bench in Siberia. Also would love to see parata beside henshaw (or Robb for that matter).

Why no Nathan White? His minutes throughout the World Cup were small and he had last week off.....no reason he shouldn't start Saturday if fit.

Can't see Parata at 12, especially with McSharry back and Robb going well last week...I don't really care once Aki is rested!!

Wouldn't it be great if Sean O'Brien was given the start at 6!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do my eyes deceive me or did the flounce pick Carty to start??? :eek:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do my eyes deceive me or did the flounce pick Carty to start??? :eek:
    Yep, I'm working through stuff:-).

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm working through stuff:-).

Maybe, but it might be the only chance for Ronaldson to proove himself as 10. He could be ahead of Carty, he won't be ahead of Aki/Henshaw/McSharry to continue as 12 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

connachta wrote: »
    Maybe, but it might be the only chance for Ronaldson to proove himself as 10. He could be ahead of Carty, he won't be ahead of Aki/Henshaw/McSharry to continue as 12 IMO

Not so sure about that. Henshaw will be missing for the 6 nations and with his future at the club unsure I think Pat is looking at a settled first choice partnership of Ronaldson/Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. Henshaw will be missing for the 6 nations and with his future at the club unsure I think Pat is looking at a settled first choice partnership of Ronaldson/Aki.

The fact that Lam played Henshaw at full back against Treviso was the biggest indicator to me that he is moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

The fact that Lam played Henshaw at full back against Treviso was the biggest indicator to me that he is moving on.

I'm not so sure, if he was thinking about the future he'd be going with Aki/Parata and keep Aki in his more natural 12 position. I think it was very much thinking about this year and the fact that much of the year will be missing Henshaw. Also lets not forget that Craig was kicking for that game, so maybe that was another factor in why he wanted to keep the centre pairing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I personally think he wants Carty at 10 but wants Ronaldsons boot on the pitch as well. Doesnt want to drop Bundee either and you cant have Henshaw on the bench.

More to do with fitting in Craig for me.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Aki in his more natural 12 position.

I contest this.
    I'd rather like Henshaw/Aki than Aki/Henshaw

IMO in the middle-term, if Henshaw leaves, we'll have less 12 (McSharry, half of Ronaldson, maybe Robb a bit), than 13 (Aki, Api, Parata, Finn, O'Leary).
    That might be the reason for why Lam insist with Ronaldson as inside centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wouldn't read it that way personally
    Ronaldson was top of Connacht's internal defence Leaderboard after the Ospreys game at 12 - with Poolman missing Lam decided to stick with the Craig and Aki in centre, move TOH Wing and Henshaw fb

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd save Henshaw for the Pro12 if it means he's available for every game until the Six Nations.

Edit: Although I appreciate this was no normal week leading up to a match!

Before the Treviso game I wasn't paying much attention to the coverage Henshaws move was getting.
    I figured everyone was guessing so just wait and see how it pans out.

I am not saying that selection means he is definitely going, I am loathe to make extreme assumptions like that. I just read the most likely possibility being long term planning for a team without Henshaw.

What's the point in him staying if we are going to play him at full back?
    Surely he would have more impact at centre?
    We have two very good full backs as is.

I suppose we'll know more after Christmas whether through announcement or where he plays for the interpros.

Warning: The following material is a Flouncer opinion and could be considered inflammatory. As such I suggest, to those with high blood pressure in particular, putting on the kettle and making a strong cup of tea before reading further.

So lets start with a joke. Little Red Riding Hood going through the forest and the big bad wolf jumps out and says I'm going to eat you to which Little Red Riding Hood responds doesn't anybody fcuk anymore

Ok to that opinion. So its related to the back 5, at which point Jack thinks to himself 'there is a God'.

So here goes. My back 4 first are Tiernan, Danie, Bundee and Matt. Ok, now everybody is thinking, well thats not really radical. But then it comes down to the 5th position. So on merit (as I see it)

Robbie: positive is a fantastic international. Negative is away much of the year on international duties so is hard to integrate him back into the team. See the Leinster performance last week as an example of reintegrating players. It is not a seamless process.

Craig: positive is he and Bundee have struck up a really good partnership and his penalty taking is outstanding. Negative is that he is so injury prone

Rory: positive is that he has played incredibly well when given the opportunity at centre. Negative is that he is in the catch 22 position of not having enough experience but as players return is less likely to get a chance.

Peter: fine, fine outing in Russia but has the same problem that Rory has

Dave: positive is he is a very experienced and fine player. Negative is he is so injury prone

So here goes nothing. If Robbie left for another province it might in fact solve a problem. Its really hard to figure out where to put him. Tiernan is playing a blinder at full back these days so it would be grossly unfair that Robbie take over the full back position with Tiernan benched (assuming Danie and Matt fit).

If Robbie goes in the centre then there is an issue immediately at outhalf (sorry Jack I lied a bit). If Jack is to continue playing outhalf then Craig must play at centre to cover kicking duties. If Robbie plays centre then Jack cannot be outhalf.

So in fact Robbie is causing a huge headache for Pat.

Warning: The following material is a Flouncer opinion and could be considered inflammatory. As such I suggest, to those with high blood pressure in particular, putting on the kettle and making a strong cup of tea before reading further.

So lets start with a joke. Little Red Riding Hood going through the forest and the big bad wolf jumps out and says I'm going to eat you to which Little Red Riding Hood responds doesn't anybody fcuk anymore

Ok to that opinion. So its related to the back 5, at which point Jack thinks to himself 'there is a God'.

So here goes. My back 4 first are Tiernan, Danie, Bundee and Matt. Ok, now everybody is thinking, well thats not really radical. But then it comes down to the 5th position. So on merit (as I see it)

Robbie: positive is a fantastic international. Negative is away much of the year on international duties so is hard to integrate him back into the team. See the Leinster performance last week as an example of reintegrating players. It is not a seamless process.

Craig: positive is he and Bundee have struck up a really good partnership and his penalty taking is outstanding. Negative is that he is so injury prone

Rory: positive is that he has played incredibly well when given the opportunity at centre. Negative is that he is in the catch 22 position of not having enough experience but as players return is less likely to get a chance.

Dave: positive is he is a very experienced and fine player. Negative is he is so injury prone

So here goes nothing. If Robbie left for another province it might in fact solve a problem. Its really hard to figure out where to put him. Tiernan is playing a blinder at full back these days so it would be grossly unfair that Robbie take over the full back position with Tiernan benched (assuming Danie and Matt fit).

If Robbie goes in the centre then there is an issue immediately at outhalf (sorry Jack I lied a bit). If Jack is to continue playing outhalf then Craig must play at centre to cover kicking duties. If Robbie plays centre then Jack cannot be outhalf.

No Darragh:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Dont agree its a problem, the Leinster expeirence cannot be used since its 2 vs almost an entire team. You have bigger changes with injuries from week to week sometimes.
    Plus its a position every coach would kill to be in. 4 Strong centres, two up and comers.Everyone jokes about the depth Ulster have there but we are looking just as good. McSharry in particular is wildcard there

Selection wise. In my opinion you get your best players on the field and worry about the positions second. If you have carty at ten which Lam seems to favour you have Matt, Craig, Bundee, Danie, Tiernan, Robbie and Darragh being the lads regularly competing for these positions.

Danie and Matt are out and out our best wingers.
    Ronaldson is our best boot (AJ is still unknown, encouraging signs) and Lam seems to like what he brings at centre as apposed to ten, which AJ in this could continue.
    Aki is our best centre and Carty is Lams starting outhalf. Craig has to be on the field and if lam likes carty at 1 then craig has to be at 12. Bundee has to be at 13

Tiernan vs Robbie, as good as Tiernan is and as much as a like him as a player, would lose out in that contest, particulalry when robbie has so much experience at 15.

Thats an ideal world though, we are going to have injuries and unavilablities thorugh this year. Ronaldson and Tiernan have had their fair share of injuries and Bundee at some point will have to get a break. Ditto Matt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Henshaw asked to play at 15,

freyners wrote: »
    Dont agree its a problem, the Leinster expeirence cannot be used since its 2 vs almost an entire team. You have bigger changes with injuries from week to week sometimes.
    Plus its a position every coach would kill to be in. 4 Strong centres, two up and comers.Everyone jokes about the depth Ulster have there but we are looking just as good. McSharry in particular is wildcard there

Selection wise. In my opinion you get your best players on the field and worry about the positions second. If you have carty at ten which Lam seems to favour you have Matt, Craig, Bundee, Danie, Tiernan, Robbie and Darragh being the lads regularly competing for these positions.

Danie and Matt are out and out our best wingers.
    Ronaldson is our best boot (AJ is still unknown, encouraging signs) and Lam seems to like what he brings at centre as apposed to ten, which AJ in this could continue.
    Aki is our best centre and Carty is Lams starting outhalf. Craig has to be on the field and if lam likes carty at 1 then craig has to be at 12. Bundee has to be at 13

Tiernan vs Robbie, as good as Tiernan is and as much as a like him as a player, would lose out in that contest, particulalry when robbie has so much experience at 15.

Thats an ideal world though, we are going to have injuries and unavilablities thorugh this year. Ronaldson and Tiernan have had their fair share of injuries and Bundee at some point will have to get a break. Ditto Matt.

I would argue just one point. On the basis of previous pat decisions and my guess at a team for the weekend (I assume the fresh Masterson, nepia, McKeon partnership) then in all likelihood tiernan will captain the team this weekend. As such how can you simply say Robbie is de man. He hasn't played at fullback in years. And I did (in times past) express my opinion about Robbie at full back. I don't want another rob Kearney at Connacht. If we lose we lose but not watching that type of stuff.

I would argue just one point. On the basis of previous pat decisions and my guess at a team for the weekend (I assume the fresh Masterson, nepia, McKeon partnership) then in all likelihood tiernan will captain the team this weekend. As such how can you simply say Robbie is de man. He hasn't played at fullback in years. And I did (in times past) express my opinion about Robbie at full back. I don't want another rob Kearney at Connacht. If we lose we lose but not watching that type of stuff.

Robbie, Aki, TOH and 2 of Leader/Poolman/Healy have to be on the pitch, they are our main talents. So, in my opinion, the real problem is between Ronaldson and Carty, which debate Lam doesn't want to face, playing them both at the same time, and occupying the 12 spot, where Aki/Henshaw/McSharry would be brillant. Obstructing by the domino effect all the back-line positions.. Aki stuck at 13, then Henshaw at 15, TOH 11, then one of Poolman/Healy/Leader out. Shame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

gally74 wrote: »
    Interesting. I noticed in the Treviso game that in attacks he was brought in as a 3rd centre at times for want of a better description.

With the lack of Healy and poolman? Who naturally steps in? Toh. So full back required! Unless u wanna put Robbie on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

flouncer wrote:

I said it before but you may have lost it in the shuffle. I believe you get your best players on the field as best you can. If lam wants to run carty at ten (a decision I'm happy with for the moment) then you need to either sacrifice TOH running game or ronaldson kicking. Kicks win matches for me plus players like masterson and white are proven captains

You have expressed your opinion about robbie before. Numerous times. You have called him rob kearney,bizarrely. Said he never makes breaks, was terrible there, never did anything. Numerous times myself and others have provided evidence otherwise which you either forget or full on ignore.

freyners wrote: »
    I said it before but you may have lost it in the shuffle. I believe you get your best players on the field as best you can. If lam wants to run carty at ten (a decision I'm happy with for the moment) then you need to either sacrifice TOH running game or ronaldson kicking. Kicks win matches for me plus players like masterson and white are proven captains

You have expressed your opinion about robbie before. Numerous times. You have called him rob kearney,bizarrely. Said he never makes breaks, was terrible there, never did anything. Numerous times myself and others have provided evidence otherwise which you either forget or full on ignore.

I may not agree with you but i get your opinion. I just have a different opinion

Well I can't make any sense of that.
    MIND BLOWN :eek: !!
    I am happy he did because Ronaldson's kicking was a delight.
    The next couple of weeks are really exciting and if we approach a fully fit squad the team selections alone are going to be riveting.

The next couple of weeks are really exciting and if we approach a fully fit squad the team selections alone are going to be riveting.
    Sarcasm aside it was obvious whyRobbie had to play full back. Not ability, necessity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

That's the truth, you have to remember, he had a great run there with conn, joe put him at 12 which is very physically demanding, so who's to say he doesn't see himself as a 12 or a 15, he's been running into brick walls for Ireland the past 10 months at 12

At least pat allowed him rather than forcing him into 12.

Looks like the Munster match is still going go ahead

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/667634010940657664

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

• Advertisement

mogwai81 wrote: »

Liked this quote from the announcement
    We are really proud of our home record this season and we are looking forward to being back in front of our home supporters in the warmth of Galway tomorrow.

Not often that gets said :D

*Edit adding the team for anyone too lazy to click the link ;)
    Team
    15 Tiernan O’Halloran (captain)
    14 Rory Parata
    13 Robbie Henshaw
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Danie Poolman
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Jason Harris-Wright
    3 Nathan White
    4 Ben Marshall
    5 Andrew Browne
    6 Eoghan Masterson
    7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
    8 Eoin McKeon

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Conan O’Donnell
    18 Finlay Bealham
    19 Danny Qualter
    20 George Naoupu
    21 Ian Porter
    22 Craig Ronaldson
    23 Niyi Adeolokun

Unavailable from Challenge Cup Squad: Denis Buckley, Rodney Ah You, Tom McCartney, Quinn Roux, Ultan Dillane, John Cooney, Matt Healy, Fionn Carr, Darragh Leader.

Advertisement