Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

fun to see video posted on twitter. lads look amazingly relaxed. God but it looks damm cold
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=man_p4AMj_U&feature=youtu.be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Is it wrong I'm genuinely worried about this match. Like I mean proper banana skin!

Well away from home ie jetlag.
    Extreme weather conditions.
    Hostile crowd.
    Different diet.
    Possible new partnerships

Dunnow why I just have an uneasy feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Is it wrong I'm genuinely worried about this match. Like I mean proper banana skin!

Hostile crowd.
    Different diet. no for that point, in theory Connacht ordered its own menus

Hostile crowd.
    Different diet.

In the scheme of things it wouldnt be a disaster if we lost the game. Most important thing is that players get home safely and uninjured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm glad that people are uneasy. Anyone under the illusion that this will be a relatively comfortable victory is I believe mistaken. Anyone who has seen Enesei play the Eagles in recent years knows they deserve respect. Add in the conditions over there, the fact this is their first game where they will be out to prove a point buoyed by a massive support and the fact it won't be our strongest team and its going to be a tough outing.

Having said that It looks like we have put in good ground work into preparing for this game logistically which is a major part of things. It isn't a trip completely into the unknown as we have good experience of facing them and the fact that a few experienced bodies have been brought over will help. There is a question as to why John Muldoon was brought but he was in the team for the defeats to Catania and Cavalieri in the past so having him around should help lads keep focused on the job at hand. I'd gladly rest him for Brive next weekend. Glad to see Bundee travelling, this isn't the game for a lightweight midfield.

Its hard to truly know Enesei's level but I'd take Bucharest as a reasonable barometer. They are always very competitive at home, they don't often take big scalps but are usually in the hunt coming into the final quarter when at home. This is definitely a game where we'll have to play the percentages early on, get our new combinations settled and hopefully start to pull away as the match progresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm glad that people are uneasy. Anyone under the illusion that this will be a relatively comfortable victory is I believe mistaken. Anyone who has seen Enesei play the Eagles in recent years knows they deserve respect. Add in the conditions over there, the fact this is their first game where they will be out to prove a point buoyed by a massive support and the fact it won't be our strongest team and its going to be a tough outing.

Having said that It looks like we have put in good ground work into preparing for this game logistically which is a major part of things. It isn't a trip completely into the unknown as we have good experience of facing them and the fact that a few experienced bodies have been brought over will help. There is a question as to why John Muldoon was brought but he was in the team for the defeats to Catania and Cavalieri in the past so having him around should help lads keep focused on the job at hand. I'd gladly rest him for Brive next weekend. Glad to see Bundee travelling, this isn't the game for a lightweight midfield.

Its hard to truly know Enesei's level but I'd take Bucharest as a reasonable barometer. They are always very competitive at home, they don't often take big scalps but are usually in the hunt coming into the final quarter when at home. This is definitely a game where we'll have to play the percentages early on, get our new combinations settled and hopefully start to pull away as the match progresses.

Well none of us are actually playing or even (most likely) going to the match so it doesn't really matter if we are uneasy or not.

But for God sake we'll hockey these lads, are they even professionals like? Ifthey can't beat these boys handy enough then it might be time to forget about it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well none of us are actually playing or even (most likely) going to the match so it doesn't really matter if we are uneasy or not.

But for God sake we'll hockey these lads, are they even professionals like? Ifthey can't beat these boys handy enough then it might be time to forget about it altogether.

Pretty sure there team has bigger budget than a Welsh region, and a bigger crowd than all four Welsh regions put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

errlloyd wrote: »
    Pretty sure there team has bigger budget than a Welsh region, and a bigger crowd than all four Welsh regions put together.

and the city by itself has a bigger population than Wales (almost):D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Perhaps it has already been answered, but how do they play in those temperatures?
    Does the stadium have a roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

redmca2 wrote: »
    Perhaps it has already been answered, but how do they play in those temperatures?
    Does the stadium have a roof?

Most certainly not, see below :eek:

WGq99Ys.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Interview with one of the coaching staff (I forget who) on RTE this morning all sounded very positive. Yes it's cold, but manageable apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

errlloyd wrote: »

Eh? How is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Yr forecast for Krasnoyarsk (Russia) for Saturday --- Jeeeez !!!

Saturday, 14/11/2015 Time Forecast Temp. Precipitation Wind 01:00–07:00 02n.09.png -19° 0 mm vindpil.0025.030.pngLight breeze, 2 m/s from north-northeast 07:00–13:00 04.png -16° 0 mm vindpil.0000.060.pngLight air, 1 m/s from east-northeast 13:00–19:00 01d.png -13° 0 mm vindpil.0000.080.pngLight air, 1 m/s from east 19:00–01:00 02n.09.png -20° 0 mm vindpil.0025.080.pngLight breeze, 3 m/s from east

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yenisei-STM budget in 2014 estimated at $9m
    A large amount of this is spent on logistics as Russia is fecking huge so alot of travelling

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Training pic....

CTnKJHmUwAEHdpL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They've been a fully professional franchise for 20 years, in a city of 1mn people where Rugby is the primary sport. At the moment they play 18 fully professional league games + play offs a year as well as the various cup qualifiers.

As others have said logistics cost a lot, but this team have been able to afford to tour, and their budgets are big enough that while a lot of Georgian players (for example) have ended up in Europe, almost no Russian players have. Nothing wrong with the structures in place in Russia, the standard simply isn't very high (whether that's because they don't start young enough, or they don't have regular high quality games or whatever I don't know).

In many ways that is the untapped potential of Russia Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Pity we can't get to see the match. I hope there's a decent twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

vienne86 wrote: »

allegedly there's a link to a russian media stream

vienne86 wrote: »
    typhoony wrote: »
    allegedly there's a link to a russian media stream

This is a stream tweeted by Russian rugby, AFAIK it's not geo locked and is the official stream

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/regbi/spbvideo_NI568924_Jenisej_STM__Konnaht_Kubok_Vyzova

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

is this on 8am Irish time ?

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    is this on 8am Irish time ?

yes

Training pic....

CTnKJHmUwAEHdpL.jpg
    Grim looking background. Training ground doesn't look like it has underground heating so likely frozen solid. Can't think the lads will be doing anything too intensive on a surface like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

flouncer wrote: »
    Grim looking background. Training ground doesn't look like it has underground heating so likely frozen solid. Can't think the lads will be doing anything too intensive on a surface like that.

I can't even tell if that's proper training pitches they're on or a soccer pitch in the middle of town?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Connacht ‘A’ Team that played Enisei STM on Saturday April the 7th 2012. Players in bold in European Squad 15/16

15: Shane Layden
    14: Conor Finn
    13: Finn Gormley
    12: Dave McSharry
    11: James Loxton
    10: Jack Carty
    9: Paul O’Donoughue
    8: Brian Moylett
    7: Eoghan Grace
    6: Aaron Conneely
    5: Danny Qualter
    4: Conor Kindregan
    3: Rodney Ah You
    2: Kevin O’Byrne
    1: Finaly Bealham

Replacements:
    16: Stevie Collins
    17: Denis Buckley
    18: Dylan Rogers
    19: James Connolly
    20: Luke Satchwell
    21: Kieran Marmion
    22: Michael O’Flynn
    23: Conor Fitzgibbon

Enisei STM team that played Connacht ‘A’ in 2012
    Country name in brackets represents full internationals- players in bold in their European Squad 15/16
    15: Igor Kurashov
    14: Stanislav Bondarev
    13: Dmitry Gerasimov (Russia)
    12: Yaroslav Rechnev
    11: Pavel Novikov
    10: Ryan Bambry
    9 :Jurijs Baranovs (Latvia)
    8:Anton Rudoy
    7: Vitali Orlov(Ukraine)
    6: Andrey Temnov(Russia)
    5: Uldis Saulite(Latvia)
    4: Viktor Arhip(Moldova)
    3: Dmitri Arhip(Moldova)
    2: Valeriy Tsnobiladze(Russia)
    1: Sergey Novoselov

Ensei hammered Connacht A in that game 35-5
    Ensei STM then beat Connacht Eagles 39-24 in April 2013
    Connacht Eagles beat Ensei 54-21 back in April 2014

All the games in Sportsground

lads being protected by russian army. Fly a few hours. Welcome to a different world. Suspect team selection based on ability to keep warm, hence the amount of bearded players on this trip :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Any idea if it's going to be on any live tv Inc the russian channels...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Have a gawk of rugby Russia twitter page.

Not quite sure if the stream link is allowed to be posted here under the charter but I'm told it's legit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

freyners wrote: »
    Have a gawk of rugby Russia twitter page not quite sure if the stream link is allowed to be posted her here under the charter but I'm told it's legit

Cool ill have a look. I have a motorised sat dish so I can switch to a different satellite if its being broadcast in Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Cool ill have a look. I have a motorised sat dish so I can switch to a different satellite if its being broadcast in Russian.

I'm not familiar with those but AFAIK it's an Internet stream only but it is probably broadcast out there

Advertisement